This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-06-2007 12:59:46 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Re: Movie Akio v. Anime Akio

As Gio was saying it was more like you had to become the right kind of adult, it's also moreso you had to earn the right to be considered an adult. Because we see movie Akio in his 'adulthood' but no one really can consider him an adult, but when Anthy and Utena break through (literally) at that point you see actual maturation.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#27 | Back to Top04-06-2007 06:26:22 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

This person did a marvelous analisis about the movie (http://dilandau.galeon.com/mokushiroku.htm) the page is in spanish so I doubt many people in the forum can read but still:

Akio murió cuando niño, debido a que el Poder de Anthy, ese poder que lo había convertido en el Príncipe de las Rosas, desapareció, dejándolo indefenso; esto se explica desde el punto de vista biológico; las niñas maduran primero que los niños, y la maifestación de esa madurez en la mujer es su primera menstruación; podemos entender que Anthy comenzó a madurar antes que él en ese aspecto biológico, y el lazo de inocencia infantil que hubo entre los 2 se perdió, pero era algo que tenía que pasar, tarde o temprano. Nadie podía detener ese proceso... Akio no pudo resistir esa pérdida, y murió... Pero el sentimiento de culpa de Anthy hizo que Akio regresara a la vida, pero de manera adulta... Por tal razón es que Akio tiene un desfase en sus etapas de crecimiento; el no tuvo adolescencia, y por lo tanto, no puede madurar; simplemente es adulto gracias a Anthy...

Y por tal razón es que Akio necesita a Anthy en la Revolución; una vez estando ella en el lugar preciso, Akio puede tomarla para salir juntos al Mundo Exterior, y que Anthy le dé esa parte de su adolescencia que él no tiene...

Translation

Akio died as a child, because when Anthy's powers, which maintained him as prince, disappeared; he became defenseless; this can be explained in a biological point of view: girls tend to mature before boys do, the manifestation of this can be seen in their menstruation; we can understand that Anthy hit puberty before him in that aspect, and because of that the link of childish innocence between the two of them was deeply severed; this was something that had to happen early or later and couldn't be stopped... but… Akio couldn't stand that lost and died... Anthy felt guilty about that and revived Akio but now as an adult, leaving a gap in which his adolescence was supposed to be, since he didn't had adolescence he is unable to mature stays as an adult only thanks to Anthy.

For that reason Akio needs Anthy in the Revolution game; by taking here to a precise place, Akio can take her to get out the outside world and Anthy would give him then that part of her adolescence he never had.

So Akio is completely incapable to obtain revolution and real adulthood without Anthy, if Anthy lefts by herself the world he will disapear and die as he was supposed to in the first place. Anthy also didn't want to let him go and grow up, after all Akio was everything she had left. This interesting considering the manga in which Anthy was the one destined to die and Dios saved her.

Also this persons adds Shiori as a direct involved partner in crime full knowing of her participation (signals Akio's paintings in Shiori's room as proof of that, an even sugests that Shiori was the one that filmed the scandalous tape.)

Edit: Made some corrections on the translated text. and added some opinions of my own

Last edited by Romanticide (04-07-2007 01:06:09 AM)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#28 | Back to Top04-06-2007 06:39:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

If anyone's willing to email the author and ask for translations, I would love to see more of this analysis.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#29 | Back to Top04-07-2007 12:48:52 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Yasha wrote:

If anyone's willing to email the author and ask for translations, I would love to see more of this analysis.

It's a very, very, VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYY old page* so I'm not sure if this person uses that email anymore but I could try if you want or I can try to translate all the text myself for you to read it. emot-keke (it could take a while though)

*4 years old at least, no actualizations since then.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#30 | Back to Top04-07-2007 04:30:48 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I would love to read translations... the main reason I would like to email the author is that from that snip you posted, as well as the parts I'm able to puzzle out on the site, the analysis seems well-reasoned, and I might want to put that up on EM. I don't know for sure yet, though, as I haven't read the whole thing. emot-smile

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#31 | Back to Top06-16-2008 02:45:00 AM

saudadejung
New Student

Hello, all. First post, squee!

After having seen both the series and the movie a few times through over the past two years, I finally made the bad choice of checking out the Wikipedia article, which mentions that movie could be seen as a sequel to the series. I had never considered it before... I spent a few weeks mulling over how the movie could make sense as a sequel to the series. The land of the dead idea didn't quite sit right with me, as it doesn't explain what Anthy's doing there. (Yes, I know linear timelines are silly, but I couldn’t help myself!) Then I began contemplating an alternative, which I'm probably going to drive into the ground in fanfic form at some point soon. Briefly:

Anthy sets out from Ohtori, knowing that Utena is not truly dead (cheers to reincarnation and/or immortality) and so in search of her. After a lot of dead ends (haha, pun), she senses a veritable power plant of magic on the horizon, and the flavor of it is uncomfortably familiar. Anthy investigates and finds Utena, but not as she expected. The she-prince now has illusory power to rival Akio's, but she can't handle the magic, her memories, or herself. She has trapped herself in a dream school, and is reliving her experience over and over, in bits and pieces. With no other recourse, Anthy steps inside Utena's dream Ohtori. Once inside, she confronts her own demons... It takes healing and self-awareness on both sides before they're ready to escape, to the real world this time, together.

I re-watched the movie today, just to see if my trippy story made any sense. I've managed to contrive plausible explanations for most of the whacked-out insanity of the film through this plot line (Touga and Akio included). The big problem is that I don't see clearly enough into movie-Anthy's head space to rationalize a lot of her decisions in the film, with or without my little storyline. Developing her mental state when writing might even make it all make sense.

As for the Akio question that spawned this thread... The way I'm envisioning it, Utena's subconscious can't handle memories of Akio. The terror and glory of him are too much, and the pile of mess between him, her, and Anthy are more than she can bear alone. To protect herself, she's made the chairman into a fop, and ensured that they'd never actually meet besides. He's just there as a figurehead, in case her conscious mind asks who's running the school. Oh, and she's thrown away the key to his car for good measure, just in case! Then there's Touga, reinvented as her prince to avoid all the mess of thinking about Akio and let her cope with her emotions at a safe distance.

Can you tell that it's almost 5am? Yeah...

Just writing you all to hear if other people are even vaguely intrigued by this interpretation. Am I full of it? Help me out here...

Last edited by saudadejung (06-16-2008 02:50:34 AM)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f270/blackestduckest/500x75ohtoricopy.png
It'd odd, you'd think SKU would have desensitized me to the point where I could believe a dead character explaining about how he was raped as a child while painting his pseudo-girlfriend's toes, but I just can't get there...

#32 | Back to Top06-16-2008 01:07:06 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I admire your heroic efforts but a simpler solution would be to delete that comment from Wikipedia!

#33 | Back to Top06-16-2008 06:37:51 PM

saudadejung
New Student

LOL, tempting...

It'd odd, you'd think SKU would have desensitized me to the point where I could believe a dead character explaining about how he was raped as a child while painting his pseudo-girlfriend's toes, but I just can't get there...

#34 | Back to Top06-16-2008 07:31:25 PM

Alex
New Student

I like to read this topic but only fuck my mind...

By: A 14 years old boy Shojo Kakumei Utena and Adolescence Mokushiroku fan.

Understanding of the movie: 87% emot-frown

Im from Mexico and I know the spanish at the perfection, and I read the analysis of the movie and thanks to that analysis I understand the movie at 87%emot-dance but certain questions I dont understand...

Last edited by Alex (06-16-2008 07:37:17 PM)

#35 | Back to Top06-16-2008 11:54:19 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Yay! I've actually wanted to talk about Movie-Akio for a while since, really, I never considered them that different. I think Ikuhara was using the movie characters to make some things more obvious about the characters and their relationships that were only hinted at in the series(i.e. Rose Bride sleeps with everybody). school-devil

And I think he wanted to highlight that Akio and Anthy's relationship is more equal than it seems--its just that Akio likes to feel like the one in charge and Anthy lets him believe that, or perhaps even believes it herself depending on how you want to look at it and which Anthy. Anthy in the movie has all this time been letting him think that she's drugged and HE'S the one in control. Him screaming, "I'm not that kind of person!" is him realizing that his sister was in control of the situation all along, that HE'S the pawn in HER game. And like Series-Akio, that's the one thing that absolutely destroys him. He strikes out at her with the knife as a last ditch effort to prove his dominance.

Of course, we don't see this in Series-Akio because he's damn good at convincing people that he's in control of everything and on-top of the world. You can still at least see his fear at the ending of the series--when everything goes out of his hands. That's what he truly fears, and he needs to fool everyone as well as himself that he's that in-command. And while he may be in control of his little sandbox--he massively underestimates his sister's input and royally freaks out when he realizes his mistake.

I think showing Anthy more in charge of her situation further highlighted a theme that was addressed in the series. That Anthy is stuck not necessarily because of the formidibility and power of her brother, but her own attachment. After all, wasn't the point of the end of the series was that you can only save yourself if you really want to? It illustrates that it was more the emotional power that Akio held over her, rather than a position of real power.

Hat Mafia Member

#36 | Back to Top06-17-2008 01:54:41 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Frau, you've always had a way of putting into words what I've wanted to. Just wanted to add that randomly. emot-keke Awesome.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#37 | Back to Top06-17-2008 09:48:30 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Hey, this is awesome~! People actually theorizing about movie!Akio? Has the world ended and I not realize it?

(Sorry, I tease. I'm just very pleased by all the analysis going on in the thread.)

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#38 | Back to Top06-17-2008 01:25:42 PM

Jurrasic
Saionji Slapper

Being somewhat of a fan of Series-Akio the master manipulator and master cocksman, I reacted like many when I first saw the Movie-Akio. NOOOOOO!emot-gonk and dismissed it from memory.

I never really gave much thought to the movie in general, thinking it more the result of Ikuhara's experimenting with magic mushrooms then anything else coherent and relevant to Utena the series. However this thread does give a lot of food for thought. 

The 'Movie as a sequel, Utena reliving Ohtori in her dreams' theory actually has some legs if you think about it: it now makes sense why Anthy is so much more forthright and downright agressive in the movie, and why Juri, Miki and Saionji (and Shiori) are seen as extreme characterizations, even caractures(sp) of their series forms. It explains the bizarre surreality of Utena turning into a car for Anthy to ride to freedom aided by her 'friends' who were less then friendly in the movie until that point, but the sheer dismissal of Akio and molestation/death of Touga still make no sense at all. 

I still put it down to drugs I guess. emot-smile

#39 | Back to Top06-17-2008 02:53:00 PM

saudadejung
New Student

Jurrasic, I have no idea how the whole Touga rape thing got in there either. emot-confused It was utterly unnecessary to everything, including his being dead (go figure?) I'd blame it on Shiori's creepy fantasies, but in my Utena's dream scenario that doesn't make much sense. Then again, if I stick to my hypothesis we have Utena creating Kozue and Miki's bathtub scene, so maybe Utena just has a really twisted opinion of her cohort? Can't imagine why that would be...

As for the Akio debacle... I'd guess Utena had written him out entirely, but Anthy entering the dream forced a dopple to be created (Anthy's conception of Ohtori couldn't exist without Akio, I'd guess), and so Utena settled for keeping him at a distance, but as a fop with no car, and dead besides... Maybe movie Akio is how Anthy sees him, after all the years and crap he's put her through? emot-aaa

Grank. emot-gonk

My friends IRL have a relevant D&D joke: we were playing Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, written by Monte Cook. Our DM made a sign saying "Blame Monte" and taped it onto his DM screen, to point at when we complained... I propose a "Blame Ikuhara" sign, for when we have no other explanation for our confusion. emot-biggrin

[Edited to make sense to everyone who isn't me.]

Last edited by saudadejung (06-17-2008 02:54:21 PM)

#40 | Back to Top06-17-2008 03:09:12 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

saudadejung wrote:

Jurrasic, I have no idea how the whole Touga rape thing got in there either. emot-confused It was utterly unnecessary to everything, including his being dead (go figure?)

I'd argue those points both strengthen the film and Touga's role immensely.  He's Utena's Prince; he's Utena.  It's the same seductive violation everyone (except for Akio, who doesn't exist) experiences, and like any other Prince, he ain't actually there.  And the selflessness in movie-Touga is only enhanced by the fact he's been through some shit and still came out pretty decent.  And able to kiss and swim away when the time comes.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#41 | Back to Top06-17-2008 04:39:08 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

saudadejung wrote:

As for the Akio debacle... I'd guess Utena had written him out entirely, but Anthy entering the dream forced a dopple to be created (Anthy's conception of Ohtori couldn't exist without Akio, I'd guess), and so Utena settled for keeping him at a distance, but as a fop with no car, and dead besides... Maybe movie Akio is how Anthy sees him, after all the years and crap he's put her through? emot-aaa

Query: Much as I'm intrigued by your premise for explaining the movie as a sequel, why wouldn't a representation of Anthy have existed in Utena's version of Ohtori? Or, if there was one, would the real Anthy's entrance have overwritten the facsimile?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#42 | Back to Top06-17-2008 06:33:34 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Jellineck wrote:

Frau, you've always had a way of putting into words what I've wanted to. Just wanted to add that randomly. emot-keke Awesome.

D'awww. emot-redface Thank you, darling! Just what I've been using to justify the movie to myself.

With the other theories people are presenting, they all sound pretty good at first. But the one thing that gets to me with the "Utena dream" idea is I really don't think Utena sees Anthy as a slutty mastermind. Utena's flaw is not seeing much bad in people until its too late, and this goes doubly-so with Anthy. if anything, Utena would probably see Akio as an even more exaggerated devil-figure than before, and Anthy as his mostly poor, put-upon victim. That, and I think if Utena would be dreaming all this as a retrospective, it would NOT have ended well. Because as far as Utena knows, and indeed anyone but Anthy, she's failed. I see Ikuhara using the ending as well to make things clearer about the series, sort of his way of saying, "Look, I told you it ended happily, now quit your bitchin.'" emot-rolleyes

I also personally maintain that Touga getting molested highlighted something only hinted at in the series, but I've always thought that based off of Touga and Nanami's psychological profiles that something FUCKED UP happened to them. But that's a whole 'nother theory for 'nother time, since I don't wanna potentially derail anything.

Hat Mafia Member

#43 | Back to Top06-17-2008 08:45:20 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

Touga's being molested was probably meant to explain why he and the other duellists were so frantic for power.  The irony of what happened to movie Touga is that it all enabled him to become a rich kid, and to play Prince. Still, it seemed excessive and even gratuitous.

The movie manga said more or less explicitly that Anthy created that whole world. It's a world she created out of desperation and it attracts other desperate people. She seems to embody some kind of elemental power that others keep trying to control.

p.s. That's a great posting Frau Eva.

Last edited by brian (06-17-2008 08:46:33 PM)

#44 | Back to Top06-17-2008 09:03:33 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

The idea that the world was created by one of the characters...and that some of the characters are real, while some are simply caricatures of themselves created by the mind of whoever created Movie-Ohtori...explains some things.  In a way it's not altogether different from the idea presented on IMDB...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243558/usercomments wrote:

8 out of 10 people found the following comment useful :-
Here's A Theory For Ya, 19 November 2004
Author: theyuffie from United States

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

There The first time I found a lot of story to be puzzling. Things and scenes didn't seem to make sense. The second time I found arising unbidden in my mind a theory of what is happening that completely explains everything in the movie. When I told the theory to a Friend of Mine, who I know can nimmediately find the weak points in my theories, she said it made sense, and, she says, the more she thinks about it, the more sense it makes to her. In fact, she says, it explains some things that she cannot find any other explanation for. With this theory, far from being a weird fantasy story that makes little sense, Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie is in fact a very wholesome story of healing and integration.

SPOILER ALERT: From this point forward, there will be facts revealed about the movie that might spoil it for you if you have not yet seen it, so read on with caution.

... Split Personalities ...

At least, in the sense that a number of the characters are not "real" people in the landscape of Ohtori as presented in the movie, but are memories of real people or representations of inner demons.

Overall I like the notion, though I personally ascribe to the idea that it is an alternate telling of the same story, using the same characters.  Some story elements change and the characters' personalities shift, but there is a core that is still the same people, plot, and themes.

I agree, Frau Eva, that was a lovely post.  We also have another movie akio thread floating around... here: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=914

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#45 | Back to Top06-18-2008 12:19:16 AM

saudadejung
New Student

First, apologies because this post is undoubtedly all over the place. Also, still not sure how convinced I am by my Utena's dream-Ohtori hypothesis, but I'm going to argue for it as best I can to see if I can keep holding it up.. school-eng101 If that gets irritating, say so and I'll shove the idea out of the forum and back into a word doc, I promise. (BTW, I definitely see the movie doing nineteen things at once, including Frau Eva's suggestion that it's Ikuhara clarifying the series.)

Everyone's insights about Touga: Hmm... so much to think about. I still feel like him being pimped out by his father is utterly disjointed from both his series and movie personalities (yes, trauma of rape could result in denial, but I just don't see either Touga as being in that sort of denial, though I haven't ever watched looking for it) but I don't know what to do with that feeling. Part of me wants to believe that either a) he's lying to Shiori for some reason, or b) Shiori's making it up because she wants her fictional dead boyfriend to have that history... It'd odd, you'd think SKU would have desensitized me to the point where I could believe a dead character explaining about how he was raped as a child while painting his pseudo-girlfriend's toes, but I just can't get there... My current stand is to assume explanation b, or more generally: Touga is a figment of the imagination of whomever he's talking to (which admittedly only works if Anthy and Utena are telepathic for some reason, but I'm okay with that).

Ragnarock+Frau Eva: My current explanation of Anthy within my hypothesis would be that Utena had some kind of stand-in for Anthy (likely only a modicum more true to the full person than either Juri or Miki), and probably had gotten herself stuck on her own inconsistencies replaying the thing over and over-- until the real Anthy arrived and picked up her own role. (In short, yes to R's second inquiry.) To me, the biggest selling point for my hypothesis is that it helps me to understand the difference in behavior between Anthy in the series and the movie. Series Anthy had spent unknowable years perfecting her exterior self as an almost faceless victim. It took her the entire series to show herself to be more by leaving. Movie Anthy may move like a flopsy doll, but she leaps on Utena before they are engaged, leads her up to the observation tower unprovoked, and has the drive (pardon my pun) to escape Ohtori once and for all. She does all of this without Akio's orders, because he is dead, and there is no other character to make demands on her. Movie Anthy acts upon feelings for Utena, and doing so repeatedly moves the plot forward-- and those actions are easy for her, because she already knows Utena is the person to act for, and that she is capable of action.

A thought experiment: if end-of-series Anthy was offered the opportunity for her own dream-Ohtori, a place where she could privately retell her past, vent her feelings, and prepare to move on, what would it be like? Undoubtedly, the majority of the duelists would not need to be more than caricatures, as they don't really matter to her. Depending on her feelings (and how you interpret everything), she might create an Akio she feels comfortable standing up to, one who is young, foppish, emasculated-- dead. Anthy revisiting her own choices might even want to be more forward with Utena... more affectionate, more supportive, more playful. She might want to recast herself as someone who flirts and teases, to make up for all the time she spent staring blankly behind glasses she never really needed. Perhaps she'd even be reluctant to leave when first asked... I wonder whose fantasy I really imagine the movie to be: a shared delusion? How Utena and Anthy choose to remember Ohtori after discussing it to death, fifty years later? Ikuhara's, at least.

I'm going to reread this in a few hours and see if it still makes sense. Forgive me for future edits, please? emot-rolleyes

Last edited by saudadejung (06-18-2008 12:44:38 AM)

#46 | Back to Top06-18-2008 11:46:58 AM

Jurrasic
Saionji Slapper

Having slept on it, it's clear why there was no Anthy in Utena's dream-Ohtori. (assuming we are still following Saudadejung's theory) 

Utena has already FREED Anthy from Ohtori, there is no reason for her to exist in her re-creation, and therefore no reason for Akio to exist either, until Anthy re-appears. school-sherlock 

And the Akio that does appear is one that is non-threatening for either of them, a fop, with no ability to drive his car, and already long dead. Either of them could have created that Akio, but most likely Anthy did.

There's still more holes in this theory, especially as surrounds Touga, but an awful lot can be explained.  The only bad part is that there's no real exposition in the movie to indicate that this is the case.   But with a story as bizarre as this, a stretch is needed.

It also dosent explain why the world outside Ohtori looks like something out of the Road Warrior. emot-confused

#47 | Back to Top06-19-2008 12:14:00 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

All of your analysises [analyses?] are lovely! It really makes me think, "hey, maybe this movie DID make sense!"

But I can't help but feel attached to my own theory that Makio is really Aoi. XD

#48 | Back to Top06-19-2008 10:04:27 AM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

Who is Aoi?

#49 | Back to Top06-19-2008 12:54:59 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Mishi wrote:

Who is Aoi?

A very briefly seen character in the Utena manga that Utena first thinks of as her prince, who ends up getting involved with her aunt.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#50 | Back to Top06-19-2008 01:27:19 PM

saudadejung
New Student

Hmm... Utena doesn't know Anthy is free at the end of the series, though, does she?

You're right, Jurrasic, the biggest problem with all of this is that there's no exposition defending any explanation, whatsoever.

In my hypothesis, the 'road warrior' terrain is the first time we're seeing the real world. Looks awful because.. it's the real world?

As for Aoi, Nilamarthia.. emot-rofl That's too good!

Board footer