This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-01-2015 08:58:17 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Favorite Disney Princesses

AKA THE MOST IMPORTANT TOPIC IN THE HISTORY OF THE UTENAS

Utena: You'd think it would be Mulan, but it's actually one of the old-school submissive ones, I think Cinderella.  She identifies with the princes more easily than the princesses, and likes the girls she feels like she could save.  Plus she has a soft spot for Chosen One stories.

Anthy: She dislikes the Disney princesses in general, but has a soft spot for Tiana, who has actual life goals and no particular interest in being a princess.  Anthy doesn't think people should try to be princesses.

Akio: He has not actually seen any Disney movies, but he knows every fairy tale (he was there for some of them), so he assumes that his favorite is Rapunzel.  He likes girls he can shut up in towers.

Touga: Belle for sure.  Touga thinks Belle is cute.  She's smart, but not in a threatening way; a challenge, but not too much of a challenge.  Throw a nice dress at her and suddenly she wants to dance.  He once got drunk and sang Gaston at karaoke.

Saionji: You'd think it would be one of the old-school submissive ones, but it's actually Mulan.  He appreciates her strength and sense of duty, and also he totally secretly hopes that one of his kendo teammates turns out to be a girl masquerading as a boy so he feels a lot less awkward about various things.

Juri: Everyone assumes it's Elsa, but she insists it's Tiana, but deeper down it actually is Elsa.  It has nothing to do with the crypto-lesbian thing, she just relates to being misunderstood and wanting to shut oneself away in an ice castle.

Miki: Aurora was his first crush, but now he totally digs Pocahontas.  She's just so self-sacrificing and feminine ♫  Plus Colors of the Wind lends itself to a piano duet better than Once Upon a Dream, if only he could find someone to play with him.

Nanami: I can't decide between Jasmine and Merida, but I'm leaning towards Merida.  Merida is sort of the Mary Sue of the Disney princesses.  Rich girl who all the boys chase but is better than any of them, who also gets to have parents who love her?  Yeah, Nanami may have watched Brave a few times.

Wakaba: Her favorite Disney princess is whichever one was in the last movie she saw, so currently it's Anna.  That said, Anna would probably be her favorite anyway.  Drama, bravery, loyalty, betrayal, true love in unexpected places... these are themes Wakaba can get behind.

#2 | Back to Top10-01-2015 10:26:24 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Favorite Disney Princesses

How is it that it took a decade of this forum's existence for this thread to happen? Amazing. But now it's here and I love you all the more for it.

Anyway, Chu-chu's favorite Disney princess is Kuzco.

I think you're on the right track with Utena, but I'm kind of leaning towards Aurora. Or maybe that's hitting a little too close to home - trapped by a curse for who knows how long by an evil spellcaster? Rescued by a prince who went on a huge long quest to save her? Either perfect, or too perfect. I'm not sure which.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#3 | Back to Top10-01-2015 05:51:16 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Utena: Mulan, because she actually did stuff. Also athletics.

Anthy: She would see all Disney movies as the trite, masses-pleasing pap that they are. In-character as the Rose Bride, she would probably say Cinderella.

Akio: Belle, because Beauty and the Beast shares and validates his philosophy that if you imprison a girl long enough, she'll eventually love you. However, he sees the Beast as a weakling and a fool, and believes he would've made a better showing at every step, especially the Enchantress' visit.

Touga: If you asked him, he would say the classic princesses (Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora) because of how quickly and easily they capitulate to Prince Charming, but in fact he finds them boring. Without realizing it, he probably likes Mulan best too.

Saionji: Belle, because Beauty and the Beast shares and validates his philosophy that if you mistreat a girl long enough, she'll eventually love you. Also he sees the Beast as, like himself, the victim of outside circumstances rather than his own flaws. Of course, he actually wishes Gaston had won, because he had the right ideas about women and how to go about securing them.

Juri: Mulan, because she actually did stuff. Also swords.

Miki: Jasmine, because he clearly goes for the exotic dark-skinned type.

Nanami: Screw the princesses, her favorite is Maleficent, closely followed by all the other villainesses.

Wakaba: Cinderella, unironically and without the faintest trace of self-awareness as to why that might be.

Last edited by Aelanie (10-01-2015 05:59:59 PM)

#4 | Back to Top10-03-2015 11:47:18 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Miki: He'd like Cinderella because she represents who he thinks Anthy is.
Ruka: He'd like Jasmine because she actually wants to control her own destiny instead of getting married of to a guy she doesn't love.
Tatsuya: He'd like Cinderella too because she reinforces the idea that if you're nice enough you'll automatically get the one you love. Poor guy.
Wakaba: Oh, it'd definitely be Ariel. A perky girl who defies the odds? She'd love that idea.
Nanami: Screw princesses. She likes Anastasia the wicked stepsister for her character development in the sequel.
Nemuro: He'd like Anna because she cares about family just like Tokiko.
Kozue: She prefers The Wicked Queen over any princess because they both have a jealous streak.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top10-14-2015 06:05:37 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

satyreyes wrote:

Saionji: You'd think it would be one of the old-school submissive ones, but it's actually Mulan.  He appreciates her strength and sense of duty, and also he totally secretly hopes that one of his kendo teammates turns out to be a girl masquerading as a boy so he feels a lot less awkward about various things.

This! So much, it made me chuckle and yet I think it is absolutely spot-on.

Mikage: Ariel. Sounds a tad random but Ariel is very willing of going against the established order for the sake of her love interest and initially that was part of Mikage's goal as well. Then there is the fact that I suspect Mikage would find a mermaid to be a very interesting creature from a scientific point of view. This may lead to Ariel being vivisected, though, while taking very detailed notes. And since Mikage has a thing for the mystical side of science, he might even use Ariel's flesh to make Mamiya immortal, as mermaid flesh is rumored to have that effect.

Nemuro: What is this 'Disney' you speak of?

#6 | Back to Top10-14-2015 07:29:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Aelanie wrote:

Akio: Belle, because Beauty and the Beast shares and validates his philosophy that if you imprison a girl long enough, she'll eventually love you. However, he sees the Beast as a weakling and a fool, and believes he would've made a better showing at every step, especially the Enchantress' visit.

Akio would totally have let that poor crusty old lady into his castle. Old sexually frustrated women can be freaks in bed. emot-rolleyes But the real answer is he likes all the princesses. You know, because he's like...a prince. Right?

I think Touga would have a soft spot for Megara*. Her story arc probably resonates with him, you know, sell your soul to the devil for something you think you want only to have it fuck you over in the end. And getting constant lip from a sarcastic sneaky bitch would probably be a breath of fresh air.

*She counts, right?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top10-19-2015 03:32:43 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

...I agree with Gio about Meg and Touga. Surprising only to me because I had never considered it.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer