This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-17-2013 01:57:45 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Building a Better Student

There seems to be a fair bit of discussion about what would improve the educational system in the United States, (or anywhere, really) so I thought the discussion should probably have its own thread.

I seem to be having some dificulty finding the relevant posts, though, so if you've said something somewhere else and you want it stuck in the quote pile up top here, let me know and I'll try to do that.

zevrem wrote:

And it's actually quite practical. Operant conditioning in the form of reinforcing good behavior in kids is known to work quite well. Gold stars, special attention, M&M's for days without bad behavior from "problem children," the number of ways to implement it is more or less limitless.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Operant and Classical Conditioning do not work very well on human beings for anything other than shaping some pretty hilarious reactions via association.  Behaviorism has been pretty unanimously considered by professionals in the psychological field for quite some time to be insufficient on its ownfor shaping human behavior -be that dealing with symptoms of a mental disorder, controlling an addiction or teaching your children to clean their rooms without telling them.  I hate pulling this card, but I do have at least a bachelors in Psychology, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person somewhat studied in it on this forum.  Basically, conditioning works super well for tricking your friend into flinching at the sound of a horn, but not so much at convincing them that gay marriage is okay.  Even then, the conditioned response goes away, whether you keep up the conditioning or not. Behaviorism just doesn't really account for (in fact, it pointedly ignores) the complex cognitive and emotional motivations that influence human attitudes and behavior.

[...]

And it does not work with children.  The token economy you are talking about is dependent on pairing that positive reinforcement with explanations that suit any particular child's age.  You don't just reward good behavior, you explain why it is good (i.e, you incorporate cognitive and developmental psych perspectives) in a way that gradually advances in moral complexity the older the child gets.  Authoritative versus authoritarian.  Even then, such practices have been shown to, in the long run, decrease intrinsic motivation for doing an activity.

Okay I'm done spewing Psych 101.  Kitsa-Bell is more studied than I in this particular department, and works with kids, so they might be able to explain this better.

Are you refering to me?

Let me state for the record that I do not in fact know what the fuck I am talking about.  My credentials are as thus:  failing to complete Psyc 101, (it was... an emotionally turbulent time) and growing up the child of two psychologists, one a PhD and the other... I think my mom has a Masters.  I'm in a weird place where I can easily joke about some of the stranger Kleinian theories, but I'd have to look up the difference between Operant and Classical conditioning.

I do work with children, in what ammounts to a daycare, and although the program is very demanding of its staff (we don't just sit in the room with the kids and keep them from killing themselves, which I swear seems to be the philosophy of some childcare facilities) the required training was... well, I think I ranted about it elsewhere.  I probably have enough background information and informal consultation (see: my mom) to make real use of the opportunity for observation, though.

Most of what I know about conditioning, I learned for my fourth grade science project.  It was kind of over-ambitious, now that I think about it.  Comparing symbol recognition learning between species isn't the sort of thing fourth graders are really expected to come up with, much less execute.

But one thing that I am absolutely sure of is that conditioning of any sort is really only capable of triggering simple actions, while human behavior, even simple-looking human behavior, is very, very complicated.  Ford couldn't have used it to get his assembly line working, so in an economy when so much of industrial production is intellectual, there's no way it would work at all.

I also think I should put a word in about Behavioralism.  There's a reason they were known as "rat runners."  In its time, treating the mind as a black box into which stimulus is input and behavior is output was revolutionary in its time, and it has a proud legacy in modern psychology's ability and willingness to measure its theories against reality.  But this method is woefully inadequate for explaining the behavior of even a single human in a tightly controlled setting making very simple choices, much less a whole society of people making complex decisions in a messy world.  I don't think that Behavioralism so much discounts attitudes and societal beliefs so much as it throws up its hands in the face of them.

And lastly, while an education system that made use of a fictional form of conditioning that would have the ability to shape human behavior in psuedo-rational ways might make an efficient society, it would leave its students exteremely stunted in terms of the ability to make critically rational or emotional decisions, or to innovate.  And that is hardly a society that I would want to live in.

As for what does work in teaching kids... I'll get back to that when it isn't 1 am and/or I don't have to work in the morning.  But I will say, it's all about developmentally appropriate expectations, emotional connection and support, and shiny objects.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#2 | Back to Top07-17-2013 04:30:32 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Re: Building a Better Student

Well, the biggest flaw of carrot & stick methods of shaping behaviour is - in my opinion - the fact that it makes children expect reward for everything. It gives you the idea that there is no point in doing stuff without getting that M&Ms, that gold star, etc. I know parents who pay their kids for cleaning their own rooms. I clean my own mess because I made it - I take that as my responsibility. (Well, I'm not a teen anymore, I wasn't that mature when I was 13.)

What are alternatives in classroom where you have 30 kids? What can a teacher do in those circumstances?
Also, when I look back I was quite a difficult teenager. I had very good grades but I was arrogant when I felt teacher wasn't self-confident. Once a teacher said she would punish me with extra homework for being hyperactive during her lesson and I told her I would gladly get another A. The other time I spend whole weekend during extra stuff for my punishment homework. I had to make a presentation in German about F. Kafka and later on I told the teacher I was going to be even more hyperactive because I really enjoyed reading all this stuff. Actually, this teacher was very happy to see me that interested in something and she started to give me German poems to read and I stopped being such a pain in the ass. Right now I'm ashamed of being that rude.

So my point is that the stick turned out to be a very good carrot in my case. I wasn't hyperactive because I was lazy - I was hyperactive because I wanted to be more intelectually challenged. I wonder how many teachers hate bored kids for my former behaviour. I don't blame teachers because it's obvious they can't read minds and don't have time to analyse every kid and wonder what makes that particular kid misbehave. Maybe we just need A LOT OF teachers? Teachers who like their job, who genuinely like kids, who have high emotional intelligence and are good at the stuff they teach.

#3 | Back to Top07-17-2013 01:15:21 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Whoops, sorry I misspelled your username, Kita-Ysabell!  I could have sworn you had a good amount of psych education.  >>;

Kita wrote:

Most of what I know about conditioning, I learned for my fourth grade science project.  It was kind of over-ambitious, now that I think about it.  Comparing symbol recognition learning between species isn't the sort of thing fourth graders are really expected to come up with, much less execute.

But one thing that I am absolutely sure of is that conditioning of any sort is really only capable of triggering simple actions, while human behavior, even simple-looking human behavior, is very, very complicated.  Ford couldn't have used it to get his assembly line working, so in an economy when so much of industrial production is intellectual, there's no way it would work at all.

I also think I should put a word in about Behavioralism.  There's a reason they were known as "rat runners."  In its time, treating the mind as a black box into which stimulus is input and behavior is output was revolutionary in its time, and it has a proud legacy in modern psychology's ability and willingness to measure its theories against reality.  But this method is woefully inadequate for explaining the behavior of even a single human in a tightly controlled setting making very simple choices, much less a whole society of people making complex decisions in a messy world.  I don't think that Behavioralism so much discounts attitudes and societal beliefs so much as it throws up its hands in the face of them.

Exactly.  Behaviorism was a sort of new-wave of empirical science in the field when it first became popular, and it gave psychology a lot of really awesome things, including methods for implementing replicable experimental models and checking work, so to speak.  But behaviorists had no idea how to perfectly measure intangible things such as thoughts, emotions and belief ... let alone unconscious drives... in a way that held up to a high enough level of scientific scrutiny, so why even give a shit?  They focused on observable phenomena instead.  But in the same way psychoanalysis put too much stock in it's own doctrines of willy-nilly defining and mapping of the subconscious and conscious minds, behaviorism was too far on the other end of that spectrum, believing that all human behavior is learned.

More on thread topic, though, I have always wondered how teachers are supposed to gauge how advanced each student is and what kind of work they can handle when they have to work within a certain curriculum and apply it to a large classroom.  That seems like a lot to ask.

#4 | Back to Top07-18-2013 02:08:54 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I have always wondered how teachers are supposed to gauge how advanced each student is and what kind of work they can handle when they have to work within a certain curriculum and apply it to a large classroom.  That seems like a lot to ask.

It is, and I've known teachers at various levels who just bare-minimum it, or give entire classrooms one uniform grade. I bust my ass trying to be fair to everyone, and sometimes overdo it extremely, which is good for students but bad for me and my love of sleep and days off. The impetus to have a very clear prescribed rubric for grading and schedule for the class, so that the students have a clear idea of expectations but also (strongly) so the prof can distance themselves from the judgment, as it's strictly on these stated terms, no exceptions, no alterations. It's a way to give up authority or responsibility.

I just finished teaching a course that was cut from four weeks to two and a half weeks, meeting twice weekly. It's a pointless course ostensibly to instruct upper-level undergrads in an arbitrary level of English that usually turns into "and we give a third of them Ds" from crankier teachers, And here it is truncated, so I know everyone's feeling, to some degree, it's a waste of time and effort. What to do? How do I even gauge 80 students in two weeks to know where to start the class out at?

So, instead, I made it about gauging their willingness to keep at it, instead setting an expectation for their competency. No clarity of enunciation will ever get your point across if the listening person doesn't know what you're talking about, but trying different ways to get it across might help. I just presented them with techniques and gave them time to practice them (for a grade), rather than worrying about whether they were mastering anything. We just made a space for them to experiment in front of an audience and graded on the effort put in (including self-grading and grading each other).

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer