This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-23-2006 10:44:27 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Re: Rule of Rose

Okay, I finally was able to dig myself out of the massive blizzard we had in Colorado and get down to play this game a bit with my friend.  We3 only got to like chapter two, but we had fun all the while.  Actually, we really wnjoyed making fun of Jennifer.  The girl is so timid, weak and pathetic it's funny.  Turning a doorknob makes her double over as she catches her brath.  *giggles*  It was still fun.  The children are all freaky.  I don;t know when I'll get to see more of the game, but aside from the crappy controls, I liked what I saw.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#27 | Back to Top12-23-2006 06:18:21 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

I saw a friend play this recently... I want to like this game -- so, so, so much because I think the idea of using kids' cruelty in a horror game is genius, censors be damned! (seriously, what's with that? you can blow people's heads off with guns but you can't face children's cruelty, which if you look carefully is EVERYWHERE?) -- it just has so many gameplay issues, and some storyline issues, and Jennifer's so pathetic...

Still, I don't think I'll hear the words "onion sack" without flinching, ever again... *wince*

And the storyline (though fragmented) is really compelling. I very much wanted to find out what made these girls the way they were. I LOVE Diana and Meg and especially Eleanor (she's SO chilling!). I haven't gotten to see the ending yet and I really hope I will.

Last edited by Syna (12-23-2006 06:20:37 PM)

#28 | Back to Top12-24-2006 10:15:34 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Ok, I beat the game yesterday morning, after pulling an all-nighter. Now, I have new theories as to why the game was going to be censored, and it makes me kinda irritated.

But it sure was FANTASTIC!!! I spent ALL my time, during that last level, touching every single thing so that I could get a complete explanation. I was surprised how everything is wrapped up nicely, and yet still, I don't understand a few big plot parts. Surprising, no! Haha.

I could guess some of you have based on your posts, but I don't wanna PM someone with intricate knowledge of the ending and hear, "Ohmygod! I didn't know. I hate you! You're an evil game-ruiner." So not me. So...

WHO's beaten the game? I wanna PM & discuss!!!

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#29 | Back to Top12-25-2006 07:59:15 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Yeah I beat the game too and I'm really confused, as I say emot-gonk

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#30 | Back to Top12-28-2006 08:13:40 AM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

I completed it and it left me with many questions. i got the good ending too so it makes me wonder what people who got the bad ending thought. I've heard if you get the bad ending then you miss out on a lot of storyline.

When Patrick Stewart says "Come", WE ALL COME.

#31 | Back to Top12-28-2006 11:03:15 PM

Kanashimi
Juri Jeerer
Website

Sanguine_Rose wrote:

I completed it and it left me with many questions. i got the good ending too so it makes me wonder what people who got the bad ending thought. I've heard if you get the bad ending then you miss out on a lot of storyline.

The bad ending basically leaves you with almost absolutely nothing in my opinion. While the good ending can leave you scratching your head, the bad ending kinda just ruins the game a bit if you get it first... (and even worse if you don't know there's another ending) <<;;

#32 | Back to Top02-16-2007 04:37:26 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

I haven't played much f the game, but I bought it because I saw the opening movie on G4's Cinematech: NE late at night and it freaked my shit.
At the time I looked it up, it wasn't in the US, but when I saw it at Best Buy a few weeks ago, I got it. I love what I've played so far and I refuse to play it during the day... Between this and Clock Tower, it's probably the only scary game I enjoy.

#33 | Back to Top12-28-2007 11:55:15 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I need some help! I can't beat the first boss, the one in the "Sir Peter" chapter. I have the lead pipe equipped, but I still can't seem to beat him. Any suggestions?

Also, I was bad and looked at spoilers, but because I haven't beaten the game yet, they don't make much sense to me. So...anyone care to shed some light on the relationship between Wendy and Jennifer? I'd really love to know.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#34 | Back to Top12-28-2007 12:30:06 PM

IceQueenChigusa
Tenjou Tilter

I would love to try this game,it looks amazing!

#35 | Back to Top01-25-2009 02:27:23 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Okay. I have finally gotten a hold of this game.

Actually, Gio and Frosty and I played it a bunch over Christmas holidays... and holy shit, this game is one of the best stories I've run across in a long time. I'm not going to finish it-- not until my girls are back here with me. But oh god, it's so good! I'm trying to replay it (because we missed a few things) and I honestly can only play it for a half hour by myself before I start getting creeped out-- and that never happens to me.

An interesting side note: playing this game in a group of three sleep-deprived girls is like willingly condemning yourself to INJOKE HELL. I don't think we're ever going to have another conversation that doesn't include the words 'rat stick' or 'DO IT LIKE THIS'. You all should have seen the horrified faces Gio made watching some of the cutscenes. There were many cries of 'Oh my god, I HATE children!' and 'AUGH KILL THAT... THAT...  THING'... and then there were the philosophical ponderings on what it means when you strap a rat to a pole and rub it in someone's face. We've come to the conclusion that it must be a British marriage ceremony.

For anyone who wants an explanation of the plot-- forget it. But for anyone who doesn't mind something other than SKU to analyze, Rule of Rose Mysteries is your site. It's like the EM of Rule of Rose. /conceit

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#36 | Back to Top01-25-2009 07:17:09 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Oh! I didn't know we had a thread about this game.

I haven't got it yet but it's still on my list. I wish they hadn't banned it in the UK. emot-mad

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#37 | Back to Top01-25-2009 07:31:14 AM

Notebook Darling
Black Rosarian
Website

ah! that game sounds awesome.
me wants!

Maarika
, why is it banned in the UK?

#38 | Back to Top01-25-2009 09:32:14 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Yasha wrote:

I honestly can only play it for a half hour by myself before I start getting creeped out-- and that never happens to me.

Same here... this is one of only a few video games that actually creeps me out while playing.  (The soundtrack has much to do with this. And the story, and the setting, and the characters, and the lighting... emot-wink ) And I'm only four or five hours in, too.  I've been stuck at the same point for a long time now... so I should probably start over to refresh my memory since I'm not all that far into it yet anyway.

I know that we were lucky to get it at all in North America, too.  Virtually none of the US publishers would even touch it, but Atlus saved the day!  Even then it still went OOP extremely quickly from what I recall.  I managed to find it at probably one of the last possible moments before it disappeared forever off of US shelves.

It is an excellent plot-driven game.  Most criticisms I've seen of it are based on the gameplay.  To me, the "game" part of Rule of Rose is secondary.  I'm in it for the story.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (01-25-2009 09:35:34 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#39 | Back to Top01-25-2009 10:11:12 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I'm more into the story too. If a game has an intriguing story then it can redeem its poor game-play, and vice versa.

Notebook Darling wrote:

Maarika, why is it banned in the UK?

Some people couldn't handle it, probably. emot-tongue http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161700.html Different sources give different info but from what I gather, it was published in Italy and then banned, and it was supposed to be published in the UK but that was cancelled which is why this game is so hard to find (I've got most of my games as UK imports). It isn't banned acoss EU though! I think there is also French release of that game (although the game itself is still in English, just the booklet/box are in French or other languages).

#40 | Back to Top01-25-2009 11:40:25 AM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

I'm guessing that it was banned because it involves cruelty to children - even though most of the cruelty is done BY children. By that logic, Lord Of The Flies should be banned. The UK's mania for censorship is one of the reasons I'm glad I left. emot-mad

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#41 | Back to Top01-25-2009 09:27:57 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

I'm guessing that it was banned because it involves cruelty to children - even though most of the cruelty is done BY children. By that logic, Lord Of The Flies should be banned. The UK's mania for censorship is one of the reasons I'm glad I left. emot-mad

Cruelty to children, cruelty to animals, sexual content between minors, sexual abuse, abuse in general, and violent themes.

Honestly, though, I've never seen anyone pull up a solid reason why this one should be banned, just vague references to how violent it is (it's not that violent) or how sexual it is (it's not that sexual). Really, I think that people just wanted it banned because it's just that disturbing.

Fortunately, I thrive on disturbing. A steady diet of disturbing behavior makes Yasha a happy, happy demon.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#42 | Back to Top03-22-2009 02:36:36 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I finished this game just recently, and I love it. I think it's really underrated since a lot of reviewers couldn't see past the clumsy gameplay and simply labelled the rest as "weird". emot-rolleyes In all honesty, the gameplay wasn't that good but it wasn't THAT bad either. The story is what stands out the most, even if it takes a re-play and some time to piece everything together. The site Yasha linked a few posts back is an excellent source for theories about this game. I've spent way too much time there and it has made me think about the plot a lot. RoR definitely has one of the most compelling stories that I've come across in a game.

Oh, and the octopus costume is the best unlockable costume ever.

#43 | Back to Top03-22-2009 04:23:01 AM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

oh...
i'm intrigued...

this seems like it would be a really good game.
the style of the characters reminds me of another game
that just came out called The Path.

i really want to play it, after reading all that on the site.
that bit about the boy being a Prince, so he was entitled
to tell her what to do? love it.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

Board footer