This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top04-01-2012 10:50:07 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: MOTHER EFFING YAH MINECRAFT THREAD

A Creative Mode proof-of-concept that I hope to reconstruct in SMP.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/2012-04-02_004840.png

I will need a lot of wool.  emot-rofl

#77 | Back to Top04-01-2012 11:59:42 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Utena is probably thinking the same thing!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#78 | Back to Top04-02-2012 12:06:13 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

Utena is probably thinking the same thing!

She can just use her hair.  emot-rofl

#79 | Back to Top04-03-2012 04:26:10 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Spent most of the weekend playing with a basic server set up on my computer (which will not be the final product, it's just for testing purposes), all so I can learn the configurations of the files for the mods. My respect for any server administrator just rose about 1000 points. I truly had no idea the possible configurations and way things could go wrong. I think the only reason I haven't broken the server is because I'm the only one on it. We'll see how long that stays that way. emot-gonk

I can't find a simple mod I can use for the enchantment system that doesn't require an economy. The one you found is great, satyr, and would work wonderfully... only it won't work with the setup we have. There's a complicated reason why, which I mostly don't understand myself, but it won't work. It's a vanilla server mod, and we're using a completely different server system. I guess that's the short of it. It is slightly depressing. There are enchantment systems out there, but, like I said earlier, they require an economy, which I got the impression no one wanted. If I'm wrong, let me know. It'd make a few things a bit easier on me. Either way, I'll keep looking, though the outlook is... slim. Worst case, if someone really wants a specific enchantment for a specific item, they can ask an admin or mod to do it for them. It's an ability we'd have, that I promise we won't abuse. Though I might spit cakes at some of you. It's a bad habit I have.

Dragon & Bio & I were discussing things we could do as a community, so as to keep the feeling of playing single-player on a server down to a minimum. I'd like to see us all take on the enderdragon together. I've actually never killed the dragon in single-player, and I think neither has Bio or Dragon! We discussed some games, too, like a king of the ladder thing, a creeper dodgeball game, actual duelisty duels... all those sorts of things would have special rewards and stuff, and help foster a community. If you guys have any idea of games or competitions or stuff like that, throw 'em in the hat. I wanna see this server still going strong in a year, you know?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#80 | Back to Top04-03-2012 05:26:51 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Aine Silveria wrote:

There are enchantment systems out there, but, like I said earlier, they require an economy, which I got the impression no one wanted. If I'm wrong, let me know. It'd make a few things a bit easier on me.

I don't think anyone was against an economy so much as no one specifically requested one. I don't want to put words into mouths, but I think it was assumed an economy would cause more work for modding rather than less. If having one is actually easier I doubt its existence would be much of a problem.

Aine Silveria wrote:

Though I might spit cakes at some of you. It's a bad habit I have.

This just made me laugh.

Aine Silveria wrote:

We discussed some games, too, like a king of the ladder thing, a creeper dodgeball game, actual duelisty duels... all those sorts of things would have special rewards and stuff, and help foster a community. If you guys have any idea of games or competitions or stuff like that, throw 'em in the hat. I wanna see this server still going strong in a year, you know?

The only SMP game I know of is Spleef. Have you played that? Anything else I've seen would take a lot of elaborate building.

#81 | Back to Top04-03-2012 09:07:59 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aine Silveria wrote:

Spent most of the weekend playing with a basic server set up on my computer (which will not be the final product, it's just for testing purposes), all so I can learn the configurations of the files for the mods. My respect for any server administrator just rose about 1000 points. I truly had no idea the possible configurations and way things could go wrong.

You're a hero for trying it.  poptart

I can't find a simple mod I can use for the enchantment system that doesn't require an economy. . .

I guess what I meant to say earlier is that I'm pretty indifferent about enchantment.  It would be kinda cool to have a usable enchantment feature, I guess, but if it were my job to install mods I sure wouldn't arse myself to do it.  I'm also indifferent about economy.  So what I'm trying to say about both of these features is: I don't mind, but don't do it for my sake!

Dragon & Bio & I were discussing things we could do as a community, so as to keep the feeling of playing single-player on a server down to a minimum.

This is a cool idea.  I guess we would probably need a different server to run something like an adventure map together, but I like the idea of having giant snowball fights or something.  And duelisty duels, though my PvP is for crap.  I think it might be fun for a player to place a treasure deep in the earth, presumably at the bottom of a cave or dungeon to which the player may or may not have added traps; the other players then compete to retrieve it first.  I would love to design those dungeons.  XD

#82 | Back to Top04-05-2012 01:38:19 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I made my first mob grinder!  It is pretty small -- only fourteen pads with twelve 1x1 open spaces each -- but it is mine and I made it myself.  school-devil  My first design didn't work for reasons that took me a while to understand.  The idea was to collect the mobs, drown them in a big tank, and spit out their stuff through a faucet, but it turned out there was a tension between the last two goals: rooms full of water pretty much don't have a current.  There was probably a way to make this work, but I wasn't clever enough, so instead I built this guy.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/satyreyes/2012-04-05_030317.png

There's lava above the red bit, flowing into the grinder at chest level.  The mobs burn up at the end of the interior waterway, and their drops just fall down the waterfall.  I saw this idea in a couple videos and was surprised that it actually worked -- I still don't quite understand why the mobs burn up instead of going down the waterfall themselves.  Mostly the whole building just reminds me of a gargoyle and I think it's wonderful.  Maybe I'll rebuild the whole thing out of Nether Brick.  emot-biggrin

And it plays a little musical note when an item falls into the bin at the bottom.  ♪

Last edited by satyreyes (04-05-2012 01:45:18 AM)

#83 | Back to Top04-14-2012 12:16:01 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

3xpost combo!  Aine, have you had a chance to look any more at server-ing?  Is it something you can handle, or do we need to find some outside help?  Do you think we should wait for 1.3 to come out before we set it up?  It's not that I'm in a huge hurry; I just look forward to playing with everyone emot-smile

#84 | Back to Top04-14-2012 12:27:33 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm just wondering, how plausible is a virtual server for something like this? Basically piggybacking on your own internet connection on the basis that you leave you PC on and have a decent box? Sounds kinda like what you were trying, Aine, but I'm not sure.

Because back in the day I did that to uh, host FTP from my computer. I'm wondering if that's an option here, because there are a lot of pretty decent softwares out there that will make it easier.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#85 | Back to Top04-15-2012 12:24:57 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

That was not what I was considering mainly because of the number of people involved. MC tends to be a resource hog (and a pain in the ass to make work in this manner, or so I've read), so most of the people I know don't have a computer good enough to both host the server and and play themselves and have that many people on it without significant lag. It'd also have to be something where I could easily admin it if difficulties come up, which seriously limits the number of places the server could go. The little server thing I mentioned a few posts ago that I was doing was simply a tester, just me figuring out what it entails to work with the mods and plugins desired, not the final end result that I was heading for. A lot of stuff has been hashed out and figured out, it's mostly just a matter of setting down and doing it, and then testing it on that proper server for a bit to make sure I have really truly understood permissions. Last thing I need is to let you guys be all excited for this awesome server only to find out I made it so no one can build at all anywhere. Which is totally possible. All it takes is one true to be set to false. It's crazy guys. XD

I really doubt the next update, whether to 1.2.6 or 1.3 will be for a little while. Especially if they just released a weekly snapshot... that probably means a few more of those before another update. A lot of the things in the last snapshot are just bugfixes again, so I doubt it'd be a 1.3 update unless there's something major in the works... like the planned integrated mod support or something like that. We'll see what happens. Even if the server goes up and a week later there's an update, there's ways to work around and with that difficulty as well.

All told, I really should have it up within the next 2-3 weeks. Sooner if all goes well.

ETA: I just realized some of that could have come off as harsher than I meant, which is not the intended tone. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions, I really do. I even appreciate the gentle almost-nag, satyr. I think I've just been dreading actually buckling down and getting it done. The hardest part of my work will be the set up, and around updates. I have a bad habit of dreading things and making them huge deals only to later find out lol so easy. :/ One of my many failings I need to improve on.

Last edited by Aine Silveria (04-15-2012 12:31:47 AM)

#86 | Back to Top04-15-2012 12:34:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Cool!  emot-biggrin

I am really looking forward to integrated mod support, assuming it's implemented well.  That would be a real godsend.

ETA: And I'm sorry for almost-nagging you, even if you appreciated it emot-smile  If this happens, it should happen in your own good time.  I hope you have some fun with it!  emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (04-15-2012 12:40:50 AM)

#87 | Back to Top04-15-2012 09:03:05 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Excite!

Also, anyone heard of the Minecraft Hunger Games?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxrTBPcawM 

The map is downloadable although useless to play in single player mode unless you have mods because you spawn in a bedrock room.

#88 | Back to Top04-15-2012 10:16:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Also, anyone heard of the Minecraft Hunger Games?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMxrTBPcawM

I heard about it through Paul Soares, probably same as you emot-smile  It sounds interesting!  Starting in a bedrock room is a nice touch; I assume they're all wired to pistons that are activated by the same switch, so that everyone is released at exactly the same time.

I haven't read the books yet.  I put the first one on hold at the library, but I was 400th in line.  emot-frown

#89 | Back to Top04-18-2012 03:03:10 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Questions for you guys? If I could figure out how to change it, what would you like the currency called? I thought keeping it as dollars and cents was a bit too ... boring? But I also couldn't come up with much myself. I'll also need to look into actually how to change it.

Also, if the Utena characters had shops of Minecraft materials, what would they choose to sell, and call their shop? I thought of things like Wakaba's Treats (cakes, cookies & bread, maybe other foods) and Anthy's Garden Supply.

The last thing I'd appreciate is if people who want to be on the server PM me their Minecraft usernames so I can skip the step of having to be on to validate who you are. The server is not truly whitelisted, but people who just log on willy-nilly can't do anything but talk. Same goes for legitimate forumites, though. So if I can make it so you're automatically skipped past that step, then yaaaaaay, less work the day the server is released to the public, and less disappointed people, right?

#90 | Back to Top04-18-2012 03:35:10 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I can imagine Saionji selling weapons, Akio either food or transportation (boats, minecarts, rail), Miki music discs and noteboxes, Juri armor, Nanami animals and animal products (because that IS the store she'd get stuck with), Touga valuables like (diamond, gold, lapis and redstone), Wakaba home decor (books, stairs, paintings) and Utena exploration supplies (maps, compasses, ender pearls, sundials, pick-axes for mining).  Mikage can sell flint and steel, tnt, coal, netherrack and other arson-related items.  And Anthy's garden shop is just a front for her potion and enchanting Black Market of Dios.  Mitsuru can sell iron, because iron is very very useful but not very rare or unique and so sorta gets ignored in favor of prettier ores.

Or should they all sell specific materials as opposed to pre-crafted items?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-18-2012 03:41:30 AM)

#91 | Back to Top04-18-2012 11:06:02 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

That was the angle I was going for myself, but didn't think I had a good enough handle on the character's motivations and things to make those sort of calls myself.

#92 | Back to Top04-18-2012 11:29:02 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

My handle is satyreyes.

I would call the currency either yen (because, uh, Japan) or irgs.

I like OITL's ideas for what each character would sell.  At first I wondered whether some of those items ought to be buyable, but it gives us a way to short-circuit the mining process, which does get tedious after a while.  I'm torn as to whether one of them should run a "tool shop" that sells picks, axes, hoes, and shovels, or whether those should be divided by theme, with picks sold in Utena's explorer shop, shovels and hoes in Anthy's garden shop, and axes in Saionji's weapon shop.  The latter makes it harder to remember where to go, but the result would be more flavorful.

#93 | Back to Top04-18-2012 11:48:29 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Shouldn't Akio and Touga have all the ho-Anyway!

I hate my MC username, but it hasn't been an issue while playing singleplayer. Is there a reason to keep it semi-secret via PM instead of just posting it here?

(Anthy should sell swords because she has an infinite supply.)

I don't have any good currency ideas.

#94 | Back to Top04-18-2012 12:41:48 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I thought I said PM's were okay, but I posted it at something like 5am, so maybe I missed a word. emot-gonk Sorry if I left any confusion in my post.

The shops also will have things normally unobtainable or things that are a pain in the neck to obtain (ice blocks, cracked and mossy stone brick, circle stones, mossy cobble, all the records (since one is not available legitimately in-game), so on), but also at a bit of a markup so as to prevent people from just always resorting to the shops. Granted, getting it to the proper prices may be a bit of trial and error... I've never created an economy from the ground up. Really, the idea behind them was to allow for a quick access to pretty much all items, so that if you hate the nether, you never have to visit it. Or if you just really really get tired of searching for melon seeds, there is a legitimate way to obtain them beyond just asking an admin to give you some. Most of us would be fine with that, but I also know some players may not like that idea. There will be a public nether & end portal, which anyone can use whenever, but I know some of you will seek out or make your own. Just like you could ask an admin (currently only me who really knows how to do it, I'm sure the others will be playing catch-up soon) to terraform a mountain out of the way of your build, or make a floating island in the sky, but some people might want to do it all block by block.

Yen was the other obvious choice, and all I could come up with for currency was rosettes & petals.

#95 | Back to Top04-18-2012 05:21:26 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I like rosettes and petals, actually.

My username is Umbrafax and I wish it weren't. Everything good was taken.

#96 | Back to Top04-18-2012 05:46:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Rosettes and petals are cute.  emot-smile  It makes me think of calling them florins, because that's an actual currency and its name looks like it ought to have something to do with flowers even though it's a historical accident, but that is probably too many layers.  I like rosettes.

#97 | Back to Top04-18-2012 06:24:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm liking rosettes as well.

Also just made my first ever skin!  Didn't know there was a handy dandy minecraft skin editor that allows you to simply color in a new appearance for your avatar and upload it immediately to your game.

#98 | Back to Top04-20-2012 11:27:02 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

So, because I've pretty much said to Aine "I'm paying for this server, nobody else will be allowed to" and she knows I'm bullheaded enough to stick to that, I was allowed to put together my own area on the server. After thinking about an area in the desert -- and aborting it because I couldn't really make it work in the first place -- I looked for a nearby swamp to try out an idea.

If you've played Diablo II and made it to at least Act III or completed it, you'll know what inspired me.

Kurast Docks! emot-keke

It took, what, maybe two-and-a-half days? before the village was finished. Most of it's sitting on the water of the swamp, with a couple areas completely submerged. There's a shop for enchantments, an open bazaar, a small shrine to Dios (yes we worship Dios on this server) and a fully-stocked workshop, with plenty of furnaces, a few crafting tables and brewing stands. It's even got a block of iron for repairing stuff (I'm sure Aine will explain that later).

There's enough room for eighteen people to live there -- outside of myself -- and I'm accepting applicants as we speak. I'll post pictures within the next day or two, or when the server goes live you can just warp yourself there. emot-keke Be warned, though: unless a mod gives you permission to do stuff there (via commands), you won't be able to do much of anything but gawk. Fancy thing about these commands is, I've ensured that no hostile mobs will spawn within the area, mainly because the place is very much not-defensible.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#99 | Back to Top04-20-2012 05:20:56 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Double post for epic photo montage! emot-dance (Sorry about the size of these pictures; if they become a problem let me know and I'll fiddle with 'em a bit. emot-keke Also, wall o' pics ahead.)

Here, as promised, are the pictures of the swamp village of Kurast. First, let's do a flyover and see what the birds see...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/00_kurast_flyover.png

What a lovely place. So peaceful and scenic. [/egotrip] Let's see what else there is to discover, hmm?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/01_welcome_hub.png
The Welcome Hub and Warp Landing, if you warp here instead of hoofing it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/02_docks.png
The fishing docks and the village square. Beyond are the village bulletins.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/03_well_square.png
The bottom of the village well. Doubles as a really small pool.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/04_bulletin.png
The bulletin boards. Check here for updates if you're a resident.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/05_orchid_area_top.png
One of the three living areas in Kurast. This one is "Orchid."

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/06_rose_area_bottom.png
All the dorm areas look alike. This one is "Rose."

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/07_workshop_top.png
Village workshops, stocked with all the crafting systems you'll ever need. The block of metal is an anvil for repairing items.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/08_workshop_bottom.png
Beneath the village workshops, a fully-stocked enchanting table area.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/09_enchanter_shop.png
An admin-run shop for custom enchantments on your gear. Prices are prohibitive in the name of competitive balance, so watch your wallet. You'll need to provide your own gear, too.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/10_shrine_entrance.png
A quick turn right here, and you'll end up in...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/11_dios_shrine.png
...the village's Shrine of Dios. It's a bit extravagant, and quite ostentatious too.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/12_bazaar.png
The "Bazaar at Kurast," an open marketplace for inter-player trading and commerce. Be sure to obey the signs, please.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/13_the_gidbinn.png
The village's public house, called "The Gidbinn." Perfect for putting your feet up and chilling with others!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/14_gidbinn_automat.png
Beneath the Gidbinn, an undersea area where you can buy nommy treats from vending machines! Right click on a sign, but watch your wallet...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/15_lily_building.png
The third dorm, named "Lily," also houses the elder's office on the second floor. That would be me.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/MinecraftSunlitGarden/16_zakarum_tower.png
The Tower of Zakarum, where the greatest treasures of the Kurast Elder are hidden. They're hideously overpowered, but equally difficult to obtain; if you can reach them, you deserve them.

Right now, I've got room for eighteen forumites to live and work. The land around is relatively safe from hostile mobs, and drifters can't access chests on the property, so theft is no issue. If you'd like to live here when the server goes live, please send a request to me using the server's mailing system. Just tell me your IRG handle and at least one thing you can do to help the village's welfare. emot-keke

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#100 | Back to Top04-20-2012 05:37:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wow, Bio, that is some nice work! emot-aaa  I like your steampunk-y texture pack, too; is that serverwide, or do we still see our own texture packs?

It's pretty neat that you can pre-build the world before the server goes live.  Did you do this in Creative, or did you mine the area around Kurast to get the materials?

I promise not to catburgle the Tower of Zakarum by tunneling through the ceiling.  school-devil

Last edited by satyreyes (04-20-2012 05:40:42 PM)

Board footer