This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-06-2008 03:00:07 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Maria-sama ga Miteru Licensed in US!

Check it out! RightStuf has licensed it, and they have done nothing but good things with the shows they have licensed.  The only thing is English Dub fans may be disappointed since they are only releasing it as subtitled season sets.

I'd have put this in the "reasons for being happy" thread, but I thought it might get buried there and/or end up hijacking that thread. emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#2 | Back to Top03-06-2008 03:05:46 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Re: Maria-sama ga Miteru Licensed in US!

As soon as 3:00 EST hit, I went over to Right Stuf to see what they were announcing.  I'm pleased, but not just ecstatic.  I've been burned by yuri anime before (granted, it was Strawberry Panic!), but I'm hoping that with the series not just being fop fodder, I'll have reasons to enjoy it.  Besides, Shinohara Emi (Sailor Jupiter) has a role in it.  And for some reason I rabidly follow her and Hisakawa Aya.  Heck, I've even got some of their albums.

#3 | Back to Top03-06-2008 03:16:37 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I think Maria-sama has something special to offer, and if you didn't like Strawberry Panic! it's highly likely you'll really enjoy this. It couldn't differ more from the latter, trust me. This is as shoujo as shoujo gets.

That being said, if you're watching it for the yuri you might be disappointed. The yuri content is very similar to that of Utena, and the writers definitely play with that ambiguity.

I think you'll like it, though. I watched all the fansubs, and I'm eagarly awaiting the 4th season.

#4 | Back to Top03-06-2008 05:18:16 PM

Mylene

Adrasteia wrote:

I think Maria-sama has something special to offer, and if you didn't like Strawberry Panic! it's highly likely you'll really enjoy this. It couldn't differ more from the latter, trust me. This is as shoujo as shoujo gets.

That being said, if you're watching it for the yuri you might be disappointed. The yuri content is very similar to that of Utena, and the writers definitely play with that ambiguity.

I think you'll like it, though. I watched all the fansubs, and I'm eagarly awaiting the 4th season.

I love ambiguousness in romance.  I prefer not being bludgeoned over the head with it.  And yeah, I know it's a far cry from SP (and shoujo to boot--or at least certainly much more female-friendly), hence my desire to watch it. ^_-

#5 | Back to Top03-06-2008 06:34:09 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

This is super cool and it makes my day. YAY RIGHTSTUF! emot-dance

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#6 | Back to Top03-06-2008 11:51:12 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

The only thing is English Dub fans may be disappointed since they are only releasing it as subtitled season sets.

I suppose I'm not the only who be happy without the dub. I don't see why they even bother doing them all the time.

Marimite was not bad, though it didn't interest me all that much, so I've only watched the first season. Has anyone read the manga? I've heard it's supposed to be better than the anime.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#7 | Back to Top03-07-2008 10:16:24 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Marimite is a whole different animal than Strawberry Panic!. I'd give it a chance.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#8 | Back to Top03-07-2008 02:42:00 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I've never seen MariMite, but I've read enough about it to know that the general consensus is that it's one of the best series at what it does (the girl's academy drama), as well as setting an example of how to do shoujo-ai (be it canon or subtext) the right way.

In any case, I'm likely going to be adding it to my collection. emot-keke

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#9 | Back to Top03-09-2008 01:55:54 AM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

*boinks*

Maria-sama and Strawberry Panic?

*Here I go again emot-dance *

First of, Strawberry Panic copied Maria-sama (yes copied).. Let me change that.. TRIED TO COPY Maria-sama.

my repeated post emot-biggrin wrote:

Well, let's put it in general before I put in my opinion..

First of, it is quite like Maria-sama, actually it did copy MariMite's anime. Maria-sama had the right to press charges but decided not to anyway.
(Maria-sama has already so little capital to do that emot-rofl)

Strawberry Panic compared to MariMite is:
*Less "Drama" (as others put it)
*Has lot's of fanservice (Because MariMite's audience has been craving for yuri, so they thought they'd be the problem solver)
*No character development
*Lacks the 'classic' feel of MariMite

Now, here's my opinion.
I did get to watch EVERYTHING in Strawberry Panic, and so far it was good, but not something I wanna rewatch again.

The only character I liked was Chikaru, but she wasn't given much screen time emot-frown
I also liked Yaya though, though not the part she tried to push herself to Hikari.

In short, for me, this anime is just some MariMite wannabe, really..
Compare it to Maria-sama, this anime doesn't even compare!

Some characters have a hole in their head, really.. Specially Shizuma. /ok

Shizuma = Sei + Sachiko mix
Nagisa = Yumi?
Hikari = Over dramatized Shimako version
Amane = Rei

And many more.

+Since MariMite failed to show fan-service, here they come rushing into the scene..

As for it getting licensed, there's a small rumor it might get a rewrite/rescript (cause some of RightStuff's animes were rewritten and rescripted a little) which is, ofcourse, evill.. emot-gonk and hope it won't happen emot-keke

The first box sets of the first season will be shipped on July 29th, and it will not be dubbed.. It will all be subbed.

For more info: clicky! and clicky!

Last edited by Stephanie (03-09-2008 01:57:11 AM)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/Chosen_entity/Etcetera/621ed118do3-1.jpg
"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
Bigger than ourselves and our dreams.."
~FMA

Maria-sama Forum, My YouTube Account

#10 | Back to Top03-09-2008 10:22:04 AM

Mylene

Ahh!  I was only mentioning SP! as a case of yuri for the sake of yuri that I hated.  I know they're nothing alike, no more need to try to convince otherwise.  >_<  I wish I'd never even said it, I didn't think people would misinterpret the statement so badly...

Also, Stephanie, I took a look at the link you sent me via PM, and I noticed there were no actual examples of where Right Stuf actually rescripted anything.  If any rewrites occurred, they would have been in the dub, and this series will not have a dub.  Right Stuf/Nozomi is an excellent company.  You don't pick up niche titles that will only pull in hardcore fans of a certain niche and then rewrite and change things--that's just a bad business plan.  Any concrete examples likely would be from early series, back when editing was still considered "ok" -- that's no longer the case.  Pretty much only series targeted toward children are edited in the U.S. anymore, and those often receive uncut releases with subtitles available.

#11 | Back to Top03-10-2008 01:06:49 PM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Cerise wrote:

Ahh!  I was only mentioning SP! as a case of yuri for the sake of yuri that I hated.  I know they're nothing alike, no more need to try to convince otherwise.  >_<  I wish I'd never even said it, I didn't think people would misinterpret the statement so badly...

I was just trying to make contrast for others who may have not seen this anime but seen SP (like Imaginary, and others)
For other people who are indeed after yuri, they usually prefer SP or Kannazuki than MariMite.

Also, Stephanie, I took a look at the link you sent me via PM, and I noticed there were no actual examples of where Right Stuf actually rescripted anything.  If any rewrites occurred, they would have been in the dub, and this series will not have a dub.  Right Stuf/Nozomi is an excellent company.  You don't pick up niche titles that will only pull in hardcore fans of a certain niche and then rewrite and change things--that's just a bad business plan.  Any concrete examples likely would be from early series, back when editing was still considered "ok" -- that's no longer the case.  Pretty much only series targeted toward children are edited in the U.S. anymore, and those often receive uncut releases with subtitles available.

As I said (Tiamat, the member who notices the difference in a lot of translations, was once a translator for a lot of anime mangas and animes itself.. Hence, also received many court files to stop his team when the anime was licensed) in the PM just now, as this member Tiamat sees a lot of misinterpretations, it may just as well be that there is no 100% accuracy in translating Japanese perfectly into English subs, hence the changes from fan-subbers to companies who licensed them..

Of course, more over, companies may be more professional on these cases (since they have that much funds), you could still see some website or groups claiming the translation was different.. Etc.

"..No matter how hard we want to close our eyes, there's a whole world out there
~FMA

#12 | Back to Top03-10-2008 01:35:00 PM

Mylene

Stephanie wrote:

it may just as well be that there is no 100% accuracy in translating Japanese perfectly into English subs, hence the changes from fan-subbers to companies who licensed them..

This is exactly the case.  Japanese is not a translation of English, English is not a translation of Japanese.  One person might interpret one word one way, another another way.  Typically, neither way is wrong, just a different interpretation of the meaning.  I'm sorry I've been short, but to see people suggest that Right Stuf 'rescripts' simply because it does not follow the fansub script (which typically have plenty of inaccuracies or places where the fansubber decided to put their own spin on the meaning), just really upsets me, especially since this is VERY frequently used to justify not purchasing anime, which is killing the industry.  Fanning the flames by continuing to state that this might happen (it won't) simply adds to the problem, in my opinion.

I've seen fansubbers translate Sailor Moon characters say "Don't fuck with me!"  Is that really the correct translation?  The fact of the matter is that the phrase in question has several ways it can be translated.  In reality, a much more neutral "Don't mess with me!" would have been more appropriate.  However, now that a fansub viewer has seen it as "Don't fuck with me," if they were to watch an official release that said "Don't mess with me!" they would assume that the North American company "dumbed it down" when it reality, the fansub group added their own spin.  Translation is an art, not a science.  Just because two scripts don't match doesn't mean either is wrong, and it's really better not to send out alarmist notions that Right Stuf, an excellent company, will for some reason change the series.  Rescripting does occur in dubbing as it helps to match mouth flaps as well as garner entry into the mainstream.  Sub-only releases, which is what MariMite is receiving, does not require such changes.

#13 | Back to Top03-10-2008 05:20:07 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Stephanie wrote:

I was just trying to make contrast for others who may have not seen this anime but seen SP (like Imaginary, and others)

Actually, I have never seen Strawberry Panic.  What I have seen is Strawberry Marshmallow, an entirely different series. emot-biggrin

And oh those crazy rumors that some fansub groups like to spread that professional translators don't know what they are doing... emot-rolleyes  Those are often times the same anime "fans" that "support" the industry by not buying a single DVD. emot-mad

Anyway, I'm looking forward to MariMite, since it's generally regarded as a high water mark type of series.  And TRSI is, and has always been, all about the fans. emot-keke  They know and respect their audience.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-10-2008 05:21:09 PM)

#14 | Back to Top03-10-2008 05:33:43 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Actually, I have never seen Strawberry Panic.  What I have seen is Strawberry Marshmallow, an entirely different series. emot-biggrin

Oh yeah? Well, I've seen I My Me! Strawberry Eggs. How 'bout that?

Last edited by mazoboom (03-10-2008 05:34:37 PM)

#15 | Back to Top03-10-2008 11:53:21 PM

Stephanie
Yasha Assassin #1
Website

Well, not really saying fansubbers are right, sometimes their translations are not exact either, and even make things bolder than usual.. Like an example of Lililicious fansub to Maria-sama..

Lililicious: (1st Season, 1st Episode: Yumi)
"I was just fine watching her from afar, but to be near her all of a sudden it's too much.. I have feelings for Sachiko-sama, why can't Sachiko-sama understand that?"

Of course, if you go back to that, the instant thing that comes to your mind is: That settles it! That girl loves that woman!

But the true translation was this:

『すきだから。サチコーさまがすきだから。。。』 (Suki dakara. Sachiko-sama ga suki dakara...)

Which, in reality, is closer to: "Because I like her, because I like Sachiko-sama..."

Which puts things back to "More than friends, less than lovers" circle again emot-rolleyes

Sometimes, companies pay fansubbers for their work so their sub can be already used when the anime is shipped, though many fansubbers refuse, hence the conclusion of things..

Anyway, let's celebrate the coming of MariMite! (I was so fearful it may become dubbed emot-mad)

~FMA

#16 | Back to Top03-11-2008 03:42:12 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Stephanie wrote:

Anyway, let's celebrate the coming of MariMite! (I was so fearful it may become dubbed emot-mad)

Even if RightStuf was dubbing it, I'm sure they'd have done a perfectly respectable job to the source, and there'd still have been the sub track anyway.

English dubs do not necessarily equal a complete misrepresentation of a series, though to be sure there are a share of those out there too...  Rewrites are another matter entirely (Cardcaptors, Escaflowne, and parts of Sailor Moon I'm looking at you!)

...and I'm someone who watches anime subtitled most of the time.  At the same time though, I've discovered plenty of series (which I've since added to my collection) thanks to quality dubs I've seen on television.  Sure, I watch them in Japanese when I get the DVDs (and no, I don't know the language either), but if it weren't for the dub I'd never have gotten into them in the first place.

(that's right... I'm a (primarily-)sub watcher defending dubs. emot-biggrin )

#17 | Back to Top03-11-2008 11:43:57 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Throwing something out there, are there any character archetypes that anyone would say is similar in both SKU and Maria-sama?

#18 | Back to Top03-12-2008 03:31:57 AM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

^To be honest, I've always thought Utena was pretty free of archetypes. Characters generally change too much and are rarely as obvious as on the surface.

But, I guess if you're thinking in terms of 'the playboy' and 'the tomboy'...  it doesn't seem like Marimite has any direct copies of these archetypes. There's a 'playboy' character who hits on the main character, but I don't think she's anything like any of the Utena characters(Touga, for example).

Also, I My Me! Strawberry Eggs! is one of my favorite animes ever. etc-love I highly recommend.

#19 | Back to Top03-12-2008 12:57:59 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Yes, that's true. Utena is rather free of archetypes. I was more or less looking for character similarities between the two...perhaps I wasn't using my terms correctly. I apologize.

But as far as the character who hits on Yumi...I LOVE SEI! etc-love etc-love etc-love I want a real-life Sei so bad. etc-loveetc-loveetc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

Board footer