This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-28-2017 08:06:55 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Utena reference in Little Witch Academia

It's a little hard to get a picture since they never showed the whole thing, but here's the best I could do.  It happened in episode 8.
http://i.imgur.com/zqj99r8.png

She even rides a car up part of it in the beginning
http://i.imgur.com/2bxacVQ.png

After that she cuts her way through some thorn vines to try and wake up her sleeping friend.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (02-28-2017 08:07:14 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#2 | Back to Top02-28-2017 08:41:31 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Utena reference in Little Witch Academia

I saw it, and the "circling car" part certainly did put me in mind of Utena, but I assumed it was unintentional, since Trigger appears to be more beholden to Western animation references than Japanese ones. The thorn part was also more of a Sleeping Beauty reference.

#3 | Back to Top03-08-2017 12:31:50 PM

Wolfgang
New Student

I thought the same. This chapter is about the "id" (in Freud lines) of Sucy, and have a lot of references from other animes (and games, like Piramid Head from Silent Hill); so isn't wild to think that the spiral staircase is a Utena reference, and the almost-kiss between Sucy an Akko... emot-biggrin

#4 | Back to Top03-08-2017 02:42:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

For absolutely no rational reason I'm immediately going 'I don't think it was intentional' because the steering wheel is on the wrong side. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer