This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-27-2007 01:52:55 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Best/worst Anime spinoffs,one-offs (and ones you'd like to see)

Persephone wrote:

OH GOD! You guys are gonna hate me but
WORST:
Utena
(the reason being is that Kuniko Ikuhara did not really follow true to the manga and deviated a bit too much from the storyline, granted the show was fucking awesome and I love them both equally, but you have to admit, the manga was slightly different)

...Ironically enough, this is why I love Utena. emot-gonk

(the manga makes me cry, but that's just what I think )

#27 | Back to Top02-27-2007 01:58:50 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Persephone wrote:

WORST:
Utena
(the reason being is that Kuniko Ikuhara did not really follow true to the manga and deviated a bit too much from the storyline, granted the show was fucking awesome and I love them both equally, but you have to admit, the manga was slightly different)

The Utena manga and anime were made simultaneously, with Ikuhara and Saito co-operating and consiously making the storylines deviate. Neither was the "original" or the "spinoff".

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#28 | Back to Top02-27-2007 09:23:46 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

allegoriest wrote:

Persephone wrote:

WORST:
Utena

In the manga, the characters are all much, much more sympathetic... And, my favorite part is where they explain Utena's life before coming to Ohtori. Somewhat connects to reality, in a way.

#29 | Back to Top02-27-2007 11:06:59 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Alright so it wasn't a spinoff, but admittedly I did enjoy the manga, due to the fact that it was more grounded in reality.
Anyway, it's my assumption that the manga came before the egg-I mean the anime.

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#30 | Back to Top02-27-2007 12:32:51 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

I don't think the manga is as challenging to taboos or as surreal as the anime.  In fact, I'd go as far as saying that if Utena were entirely the manga, it would never have been as successful because the manga is a fairly trite piece of shoujo work.  The anime is where the real revolution, if you will, takes place.

Plus, manga-Juri sucks. :}

#31 | Back to Top02-27-2007 12:57:22 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Well, whatever we personally think of either one, or even the movie, they're all entertaining and they all have their good points. I have to say my favorite is the series because the characters are less sympathetic and more psychologically complex.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#32 | Back to Top02-27-2007 01:49:26 PM

Toasty
Wakaba Wrangler

Welp, tohubohu and Yasha have pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly on manga vs anime Utena.

Blade wrote:

There are some truly awful anime-based video games. I know, I've suffered through a lot of them. The absolute worst to my knowledge are DBZ: Ultimate Battle 22 and the Saber Marionette J: Battle Sabers games, both of which approach being completely unplayable.

And then, there's video game-based anime. Those tend to go wrong in a big way. Just a week or so ago, I bought the Tales of Phantasia OAVs on DVD, big fan of the game that I am. My expectations weren't too high, but I still thought the OAVs were a complete shambles.

It's not all bad, though. I really enjoyed the Zone of Enders anime, for one (both the OAV and the TV series).

Some games could make for great anime series. I'd really like to see some anime based on the Guilty Gear games. Given enough episodes to flesh out the world and the characters from the games, it could be completely brilliant.
And I wish they made more Fire Emblem OAVs, but that's probably just me.

I don't mind straight people as long as they can act gay in public.

#33 | Back to Top02-27-2007 02:54:32 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

My only wish is that all spin-offs could be as good as the Tenchi Muyo! spin-offs over the years have been.

I think my favorite spin-off right now is Getsumen to Heiki Miina, but I dunno if I get to count that because I wasn't really into Densha Otoko itself ^^;

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#34 | Back to Top02-27-2007 03:36:56 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I didn't like the transfer from manga to anime for D.N.Angel.

Ignoring all the other things to screw him up, they made my favorite character leave for eight episodes in episode four. As if that weren't enough, when he finally came back, he got one episode before they replaced him with some annoying American girl. I actually like that character, but she's just not the same as my favorite. (We didn't even get to see him cross dress. emot-mad)

They only used a few of the artworks from the manga, and added new ones that were just plain awful. The episode "The Garden of Vows," was supposed to be dramatic, but I was too busy laughing at how cheesy the plot was to feel sad.

But of course everyone loves it because of all the pretty boys, which the original creator completely ripped off from Sukisho. emot-tongue

#35 | Back to Top02-27-2007 03:57:00 PM

A Day Without Me

Y'know, D.N.Angel was something I never read the manga for, but I was disappointed in the anime - I felt like it morphed into a harem anime by the time that American girl showed up, and I just don't like harem animes for the most part (I'm a big Tenchi fan, admittedly... but that might be the only harem I like). I might go check out the manga now, though.

#36 | Back to Top02-27-2007 06:46:02 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I still want to get the Utena manga for two reasons, one, I wanna read it and decide for myself if it is good bad or indifferent and two, I want to be able to scan pictures from it and edit the line art and maybe even send it to Gio-tan if she wants them.

#37 | Back to Top02-27-2007 09:02:10 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

OH. You know what spin-off REALLY SUCKS? The Violinist of Hameln anime. UGHHHHHH. No budget for animation, they fucked around with the plot, ALL the characters personalities, they made it a straight drama . . . UGHHHHHHHHH. What they did to my poor Hamel makes me cry! emot-gonk

I also enjoyed reading the Utena manga, even though I still like the series better. I liked it for the same reason I liked the movie . . . it was an alternate take on a universe I truly love, and it was done quite well. *unliketheviolinistofhamelnmangamumblegrumble*

The Evangelion manga is VERY cool, too! Completely different from the anime (alternate universe again what?) but extremely enjoyable to read. And the art is amazing cuz it's Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. emot-biggrin

#38 | Back to Top02-27-2007 09:26:33 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

A Day Without Me wrote:

Y'know, D.N.Angel was something I never read the manga for, but I was disappointed in the anime - I felt like it morphed into a harem anime by the time that American girl showed up, and I just don't like harem animes for the most part (I'm a big Tenchi fan, admittedly... but that might be the only harem I like). I might go check out the manga now, though.

I don't like harem animes either, mostly because all of the boys that lead the harems always annoy me due to their sheer stupidity. (One of them literally had brain cancer. What the hell?) My sister says that I should just annoy the boys, because it's really about the girls, but it still doesn't help much. The major flaw with the D.N.Angel anime is that all the girls are stupid too.

But I would recommend the manga. I'm actually rereading it at the moment.

#39 | Back to Top02-28-2007 03:22:42 AM

Syuria
Touga Topper
Website

emot-biggrin I'd love to see more spin-offs from Cardcaptor Sakura about Kero-chan and Suppi-chan, like the mini movie with them chasing a takoyaki (which I can completely understand... takoyaki are yummy!)

Hmm... I can't think of a worst spin-off, but my favourite is probably the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series, which is a spin-off of the Triangle Hearts games (never played them, but I watched the OVA and it was... gah, I didn't like it at all...) *can't wait for StrikerS to begin*

#40 | Back to Top02-28-2007 10:09:59 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Worst: Power. Puff. Girls. Z.

Oh my God.

How could they in their right minds take one of the cutest, funniest, most amusing cartoons ever created, turn it into an anime and completey butcher the idea of the entire series? They turned a unique and quirky series into magical girl shoujo drivel. Absolute run of the mill shoujo. I cringe to think of it. What ever happened to the snappy dialogue and fun bad guys? Interesting characters? Nothing!

And what is up with Buttercup's character desgin??? emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

Yeah...my poor Puffie-tans. emot-frown

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#41 | Back to Top02-28-2007 03:14:01 PM

A Day Without Me

Um... at least the character designs are cute?

Err, wait, you just said you didn't like Buttercup's design.

#42 | Back to Top03-03-2007 12:03:56 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Bubbles and Blossom are cute. But that's about it.

The thing that really gets to me is the amount of people who will say 'OMG TIS GREAT' just because its anime.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#43 | Back to Top03-03-2007 04:03:41 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

YamPuff wrote:

And what is up with Buttercup's character desgin??? emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

STFU, dyked-up Buttercup is the best thing about this anime. D<

#44 | Back to Top03-03-2007 05:01:28 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hina the Prince wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

STFU, dyked-up Buttercup is the best thing about this anime. D<

I think so, too. I love how she now has a hammer.

#45 | Back to Top03-03-2007 05:34:16 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Just so everyone knows what this anime version of Powerpuff Girls looks like (Demashita Powerpuff Girls Z)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/powerpuffz.jpg

Yeah I which they kept Buttercup's orginal hairstyle but the other two look about right emot-keke

#46 | Back to Top03-04-2007 01:10:33 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Razara wrote:

A Day Without Me wrote:

I don't like harem animes either, mostly because all of the boys that lead the harems always annoy me due to their sheer stupidity. (One of them literally had brain cancer. What the hell?) My sister says that I should just annoy the boys, because it's really about the girls, but it still doesn't help much. The major flaw with the D.N.Angel anime is that all the girls are stupid too.

But I would recommend the manga. I'm actually rereading it at the moment.

Seconded. The manga is great. The anime is horrid, IMO.

Hiraku wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

Persephone wrote:

WORST:
Utena

In the manga, the characters are all much, much more sympathetic... And, my favorite part is where they explain Utena's life before coming to Ohtori. Somewhat connects to reality, in a way.

But that's the whole point. It's Ohtori. The characters aren't meant to be sympathetic - most of them are just plain pathetic. And there's no connection to reality because, again, it's Ohtori. It takes over people's lives and bends them completely.

The manga, while amusing, turned the characters into talking cardboard [OH MY GOD ANTHY WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU], simplified the plot and the worst of all - CUT OFF THE LESBIANS! Well, maybe that's not the worst part. But still. Juri has the hots for Touga? Ew. And did I mention Anthy received the most horrid treatment possible?

Last edited by Hina the Prince (03-04-2007 01:12:47 AM)

#47 | Back to Top03-04-2007 01:27:19 AM

A Day Without Me

GAH anime-fied Bubbles is just too cute... I think I just died of cuteness overload (which is saying something because I managed to marathon the first half of Kanon on Friday without dying of cuteness overload).

#48 | Back to Top03-05-2007 05:57:15 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

A Day Without Me wrote:

My only wish is that all spin-offs could be as good as the Tenchi Muyo! spin-offs over the years have been.

I think my favorite spin-off right now is Getsumen to Heiki Miina, but I dunno if I get to count that because I wasn't really into Densha Otoko itself emot-keke;

IMO not all of the Tenchi spinoffs were winners. Some ,like Universe (kinda boring) and in Tokyo (I's rather watch grass grow) sucked.

#49 | Back to Top03-05-2007 05:59:58 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

IMO Tenchi's OK but I REALLY like Maburaho for some wild reason (infact i think i'll say it's actually BETTER than Tenchi)

#50 | Back to Top03-05-2007 09:55:12 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

YamPuff wrote:

Worst: Power. Puff. Girls. Z.

Oh my God.

How could they in their right minds take one of the cutest, funniest, most amusing cartoons ever created, turn it into an anime and completey butcher the idea of the entire series? They turned a unique and quirky series into magical girl shoujo drivel. Absolute run of the mill shoujo. I cringe to think of it. What ever happened to the snappy dialogue and fun bad guys? Interesting characters? Nothing!

Yeah...my poor Puffie-tans. emot-frown

I haven't seen the anime but to me this PPg dojinshi is awesome

http://ppg.snafu-comics.com/

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

Board footer