This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-26-2006 11:15:07 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Re: Favourite anime thread

I kinda fell off after I realized that I was trying to "keep up with the Joneses" at the AnimeOnDVD forums; I bought a couple series I didn't really care for, just to say I bought them.  *sigh*  I'm actively collecting Gankutsuou, Fullmetal Alchemist and the annual batches of Studio Ghibli movies.

Top 5!

1) Utena
2) Gankutsuou
3) The works of Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki
4) Fullmetal Alchemist
5) Last Exile

Honorable mentions:

Azumanga Daioh (we'll call this one #6 on my Top 5)
Interstella 5555 (Matsumoto + Daft Punk = WIN)
The Vampire Hunter D movies
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon (I'm in the middle of watching fansubs of Sailorstars, so it hasn't quite lost its appeal)
Serial Experiments Lain
FLCL
Fruits Basket (though I'm getting a lot more satisfaction plot-wise from the manga)

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#27 | Back to Top10-27-2006 07:33:15 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

mercurynin wrote:

I'm actively collecting Gankutsuou, Fullmetal Alchemist and the annual batches of Studio Ghibli movies.

The Ghibli waves are, of course, over and done with now. emot-gonk  Unless of course they get with the program and release Only Yesterday. emot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mad

And hey, another AoD'er... I post there too, but under a different handle.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#28 | Back to Top11-02-2006 09:44:30 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Just a few:

Utena (natch)
Haibane Renmei
Seraphim Call
Evangelion
Full Metal Alchemist
Escaflowne
Niea_7
Lain

I think the only ones on this list I don't have some sort of problem with are Utena and HR.  Seraphim Call, for instance, has some very strong stories, but some of the others aren't as gripping, and the ending is fairly lame.  FMA doesn't do enough interesting stuff with its female characters, and does some *really* annoying things with some of them.  Escaflowne's ending just plain sucks.  And so forth.

This is a great list!  It gave me a bunch of things to toss into my Netflix queue!

#29 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:39:50 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Giovanna wrote:

Cerise wrote:

11. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (will definitely move down with a rewatch and deeper consideration)

I was thinking about watching this since the anime forum at Something Awful is acting like it's the second coming. You sound less enthusiastic. emot-frown

It has a lot of very vocal fanboys, and that can skew one's perceptions.  I actually did some work on my own rating system today after finish up Princess Tutu, and SHnY moved down to 16th place.  I can only imagine what it'll be like when I start doing my grand re-ranking project that I've begun to scheme up (and also rewatch the series).  It's good, but perhaps not as good as you originally think it is as you're watching.

Actually, the list I put up above has been completely revamped, most notably with Haruhi, Rozen Maiden, and Azumanga Daioh falling down the ranks as shows that had greater depth (and have led to more contemplation on my part) replaced them.  I should have known better than to put up a list--I always change things immediately after doing so.

....I spend entirely too much time thinking about anime.  Oh well, it's better than thinking about grad school projects. ^_-

#30 | Back to Top11-03-2006 07:59:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Cerise wrote:

It has a lot of very vocal fanboys, and that can skew one's perceptions. .

Ahh, no more explanation necessary, I'm afraid. I have, in fact, been burned on that before. It got me to watch Azumanga Daioh and frankly my god did I hate that show. Also Love Hina. I realize though they're both excessively popular series...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#31 | Back to Top11-05-2006 12:09:49 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

Anime (in order)

Utena
.Hack//Sign
Inuyasha
Super Gals
Pretear

Manga (In order)

Tsubasa
Imadoki
Alice 19th
Rurouni Kenshin
Angelic Layer

These are my top 5 etc-love

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#32 | Back to Top11-05-2006 01:24:25 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I have too many and I can't pick a favorite out of them...so here's a list.  I hope it's not too long.  These are in no particular order (I'm just listing them based on which ones popped into my mind first.)  Also, I'm listing anime and manga.

1) SKU
2) Violinist of Hameln (anime only.  I like the manga too, don't get me wrong, but it's not a favorite.)
3) Petshop of Horrors
4) Death Note
5) Gravitation (the anime and volumes 1-10 of the manga only.  After that, the series starts to drag)
6) Visions of Escaflowne
7) Mahou Tsukai Tai (or Magic User's Club)
8) Pokemon
9) Digimon
10) Ouran High
11) Nightwalker
12) Fruits Basket
13) Outlaw Star
14) Last Exile

I'm sure there's a couple I'm forgetting, but this is all I can remember right now!

Last edited by HonorableShadow (11-05-2006 01:39:21 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#33 | Back to Top11-11-2006 11:12:26 AM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

I can never remember what I like. ;;; This may sound weird but, for the most part, I've been out of the anime loop for a while. I have a bunch of disks with fansubs/bootlegs sitting around that I haven't gotten to watching, and a bunch of series I keep being told I'd like or NEED TO SEE (such as FMA.)

Also, while I love Utena, in recent years my tastes have run to less "DEEP AND MEANINGFUL" and more "SILLY, PRETTY, YAY!" because....Well, I don't know. Just because. I think my attention span has been getting shorter. ;;;

So, in no particular order....

Anime:
Utena
Meine Liebe
.hack//SIGN
Evangelion
GetBackers
Samurai Champloo (which I just started watching...)

Manga:
Bleach (etc-love I'd throw in the anime as well but...while it's spot on for the first few seasons, once the Soul Society arc was over, I stopped watching. ;; They're practically identical, which is good, except that when you've already read the manga, which is slightly better somehow, then watching the anime is sort of...bleh.)
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
xxxHolic
NANA
Fushigi Yuugi (and anything else that Watase Yuu has done and I have read >>;;;;;; )
Count Cain

And Demon Diary, but technically that one is Korean...

And I'm sure I've missed a million other things...

#34 | Back to Top06-01-2010 11:44:26 PM

stiffanbond
New Student

My top 5 are:

1.Bleach
2.Blood Plus
3.Naruto
4.Death Note
5.Inuyasha

Last edited by stiffanbond (06-01-2010 11:44:46 PM)

#35 | Back to Top06-01-2010 11:47:34 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

OK I'll do this!

5. Kaleido Star
4. Read or Die TV
3. Red Garden
2. Utena
1. Koi Kaze

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#36 | Back to Top06-02-2010 08:33:28 AM

Ico
Juri Jeerer
Website

1. Twelve Kingdoms
2. Utena
3. Claymore
4. Haibane Renmei
5. Slayers

Though Princess Tutu might have to be added to that list.  It's the only anime I've seen with a fairy tale-esque weirdness rivalling SKU's.

#37 | Back to Top06-02-2010 12:52:08 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Utena, Eva and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

And... uhh... that's really ALL the anime that comes to mind.

#38 | Back to Top06-03-2010 10:13:59 AM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Manga: [and if it was made into an anime, I watched it. Like a boss.]

Utena [of course]
Claymore
1/2 Prince
Skip Beat
Rurouni Kenshin
NANA
Paradise Kiss
Othello
Model
Hellsing
Liar Game
Akuma to Love Song
Elfen Lied
Fire Candy
...and a shit ton more.

Anime:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Darker than Black
Code Geass
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Dragonball Z
Maria-sama ga Miteru
...and probably a few others.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#39 | Back to Top06-03-2010 09:59:29 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

It's impossible for me to make a list, since they keep changing in rank depending on which one I am currently most nostalgic for, though SKU will always be in the number one spot. etc-love  for obs reasons.

My favorites:
Yu-Yu Hakusho

Not the deepest shonen anime you'll ever see and it does fall for a couple of time-honored cliches, but the characters, fights and plots are always engaging and the pacing is remarkably tight and action packed for 100+ episode series.  The finale had me in tears because I loved all the characters and felt that the ending did them justice.

Slayers

'Nuff said.  I have peed myself laughing watching Slayers.

Cowboy Bebop

One of the first more adult series I ever watched, it showed me the great things anime could achieve in style, animation and story. 

Trigun

I love the setting so much.  Sci-fi and western, and a moral about pacifism that wasn't half-assed in execution.

Boogiepop Phantom
Creepy, dark, and messed up.  Gorgeous soundtrack as well.

Now and Then, Here and There

THIS BE MY SADFACE. emot-frown

Azumanga Diaoh

Probably the manga more than the anime, which could get real tiresome, real fast.  But I always loved the characters and the odd sense of humor.  I avoided fandom because Yomi and Tomo were my favorites.  Seriously, they were like the two sides of my personality.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

I haven't seen it in a long time, so I'm not sure how it will hold up to a rewatch, but I remember loving the premise and the satire, and the animation reminded me of FLCL, stunning and varied, easily working for both super-deformed laughs and sunny-afternoon poignancy.

Ai no Kusabi and Fujimi Orchestra for teh obligatory Yaoi-titles

I actually don't like most yaoi, but these two far surpass the rest in terms of depth and thought. ANK has an amazingly well-constructed setting and and well executed mood and story, while FO, despite absolutely terrible animation is a fresh dose of realism for all those fans of the obsessive, controlling traditional seme character and the rape/love dynamic.  I'll also never be able to listen to Wagner without shivering.   

Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon and DBZ

These will always hold places in my heart.  I even still watch newer episodes of Pokemon! (Really only Gym, Contest or Team Rocket related episodes.  Speaking of contests, D&P have been disappointing me a bit.  I mean really, every attack now explodes into sparkles whenever it collides with another?  Boring.)  Also, we do not speak of Digimon Tamers in the house or DBGT.  And aside from a few redeeming qualities Frontier was rather boring.  I WANT KID/MONSTER BONDING, NOT KIDS TURNING INTO MONSTERS.

Berserk

Pop Philosophy and bloody, muscly action at its finest.  Also, Griffith is a Pimp and this series has the funniest bloopers ever, no contest. 

Last Exile

I came for the steampunk and pretties, I stayed for all the endearing side characters.

Fooly Cooly

It's only six episodes, but that animation, music and editing cannot be beat, and haters to the left, I do think it was pretty intelligent to boot.  I guess I just have a weakness for adolescence-themes in my anime. 

Samurai Champloo

Like Cowboy Bebop, it was more style over substance, but the style was done so ridiculously well it fools you once or twice into thinking something deeper is there.  It's not philosophical or metaphorical so much as it is stunningly good at representing and matching mood and subtle emotional in its characters via the music and animation.  Funny, unique and gorgeous.

Full Metal Alchemist

One of the most thrilling, engaging and emotionally evocative anime I have ever seen.  It hits all the right notes at the right times, and the pacing was perfect.  Giving you a lot while still leaving you wanting more with each episode.  Humor, action, philosophy and mystery and chewy, delicious world-building all in one convenient package.

(Though I'm not actually digging Brotherhood that much.  Just feels oddly paced, I guess)

Ouran High School Host Club

HILARIOUS.  Even occasionally thoughtful and touching.  Through all the puns and the satire, you end up caring about the characters, and it really is breath of fresh air in the comedy and shoujo genres.

#40 | Back to Top06-04-2010 03:41:09 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Oho. Let's give this a gooo.

Gotta be:

Noir
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Azumanga Daioh etc-love
Utena
Sailor Moon

and for bonus lulz:

Love Hina

I do fully understand what a pandering harem bullshit-fest Love Hina is, but it helped get me into anime and I still have all 14 books of the manga. It's still good for a bit of no-brainer fun in my book. emot-keke
Bit of a yuri theme going in here, methinks.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#41 | Back to Top06-08-2010 12:13:54 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Chii's Sweet Home! I can't believe I forgot that.
So cuuuute. ;__;

#42 | Back to Top06-08-2010 12:45:11 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Good to see Azumanga getting some love ! (OITL, a lot of people ship Tomo x Yomi. Myself included.)

I keep my ANN anime list up to date, it's pretty handy for this sort of thing:
EDIT : of course the link only works if you're me. D'oh.

Cut & paste, here are my faves:

Azumanga Daioh (TV)   
Castle in the Sky (movie)   
Cowboy Bebop (TV)   
Excel Saga (TV)   
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)   
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (TV)   
Kiki's Delivery Service (movie)   
Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)   
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (movie)   
Perfect Blue (movie)   
Revolutionary Girl Utena (TV)   
Samurai Champloo (TV)   
(The) Wallflower (TV)   
(The) Adventures of Mini-Goddess (TV)   
Ah! My Goddess (TV)   
Black Lagoon (TV)   
Death Note (TV)   
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone (movie)   
Fruits Basket (TV)   
Fullmetal Alchemist (TV)   
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (TV)   
Genshiken (TV)   
Genshiken (OAV)   
Genshiken 2 (TV)   
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society (movie)   
Grenadier (TV)   
Hellsing (TV)   
Hellsing (OAV)   
Howl's Moving Castle (movie)   
Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade (movie)   
Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden (TV)   
Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful (TV)   
Mahoromatic: Summer Special   
My Neighbor Totoro (movie)   
My-HiME (TV)   
My-Otome (TV)   
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (movie)   
Ninja Nonsense (TV)   
Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety (TV)   
Paprika (movie)   
Porco Rosso (movie)   
Puni Puni Poemy (OAV)   
R.O.D -The TV-   
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie   
Samurai 7 (TV)   
Serial Experiments Lain (TV)   
Spirited Away (movie)   
Tokyo Godfathers (movie)   
Trigun (TV)   
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (movie)   
XXXHOLiC (TV)

Last edited by purplepolecat (06-08-2010 12:55:59 PM)

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#43 | Back to Top06-08-2010 12:53:52 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

purplepolecat wrote:

Good to see Azumanga getting some love ! (OITL, a lot of people ship Tomo x Yomi. Myself included.)

For reals?  Everytime I hear someone talk about Azumanga all I hear is remarks about how horrible and annoying Tomo is and what a stuck-up, boring bitch Yomi is.

C'mon guys, that's WHY I love them.  etc-love

#44 | Back to Top06-08-2010 01:00:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Double-post.

Also, Bleach is one of my favorite animes to...look up.  Like, I love reading all the wiki summaries for its many characters and so on and so forth, and some of the fanfiction is pretty damn good, but the actual execution of the anime?  So generic and repetitive and it bores me to tears, on top of the fact that is rubs my inner feminist the wrong way and it's brand of humor is epic fail.  WE ARE YELLING AND IT IS FUNNY AND SOMETIMES WE YELL THE OBVIOUS HAHAHAHAHAHAno.

And I've never bothered with the manga.

Seriously.  WTF Bleach.  Interesting, diverse characters and yet in action they all act and interact in the exact same, formulaic way.

#45 | Back to Top06-08-2010 01:26:20 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Hmm... I've never been one for flat out saying "I like X more than Y, and Y more than Z" so I'll just list my favorites in no particular order... but of course it goes without saying that Utena is the unwritten top of the list emot-keke

Hellsing (Love the manga, and I'm glad the OVAs are doing it justice... just wish they'd hurry up and make the next one already)
Berserk (Also a great manga, it's too bad they ended the series so hastily...)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (All I've seen is series + EOE, haven't checked out the manga on this one yet)
Cowboy Bebop (IMO, this series should be on the list of any self-respecting anime fan, no questions asked. It's just that good.)
Trigun (another anime I enjoyed greatly but haven't read the manga yet. Laziness T_T)
Black Lagoon (Someday, they'll continue the anime... someday...)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (haven't gotten around to seeing 2nd Gig, or SSS yet *sigh*)
FLCL (Action? Check. Characters? Check. Humor? Check. Soundtrack by The Pillows? FUCK YES.)

Can't think of any more atm. It's been a while since I've seen most of these anyway...

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#46 | Back to Top06-08-2010 02:54:16 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

1. Black Lagoon. Im building a shrine dedicated to Balalaika, and Homura season 3 will be an OVA due out July 17th in Japan.
2. Hellsing.
3. Utena.
4. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.
5. Excel Saga.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#47 | Back to Top06-08-2010 03:12:39 PM

ShinraiTenchi
Saionji Slapper

It's hard for me to think of a top 5 too..xD  At the moment, this is my list:

1.  Neon Genesis Evangelion
2.  Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
2.  Revolutionary Girl Utena
4.  Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
5.  Galaxy Express 999

I can't really decide whether or not I like Sailor Moon or Utena better...I love them both so much! xD  I love Digimon (Adventure 01 and 02), Dragon Ball, and Nadia a lot too :3  And of course Azumanga Daioh's great for a good laugh lol

The moonlight carries a message of love.

#48 | Back to Top06-12-2010 01:04:21 PM

Saio
Ballgoer

1. Revolutionary Girl Utena
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Ghost in the Shell
4. Interstella 5555
5. Animatrix

http://s41.radikal.ru/i091/1101/bd/e015af0a91a1.png

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

#49 | Back to Top06-12-2010 02:22:44 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Chrome Homura wrote:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (haven't gotten around to seeing 2nd Gig, or SSS yet *sigh*)

DUDE how have you not seen 2nd Gig yet? It makes the 1st season look like crap (and the 1st season is awesome.) 2nd gig is def. in my top 10 anime. SSS isn't as good as either series but it's still quite good.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#50 | Back to Top06-12-2010 09:50:40 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Epee, Black Lagoon was FABULOUS. It went straight to the meat of the story. No pussy-footing around whatsoever. Plus, asking someone if they want to learn how to smoke through their forehead? Bad ass, my friends. Bad Ass.

So, my loves are:

1) Utena (durr)
2) Gundam Wing
3) NANA
4) Ouran HSHC
5) Tsubasa Chronicles Reservoir

And of course I lusted after all the bishounen while I was a teenager. You know, like a proper fangirl.

Board footer