This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-20-2014 07:59:27 AM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

The Hardcore of Utena

I have been looking for the The Hardcore of Utena artbooks for sometime, I found a website but I guess they don't ship outside of Japan. I live in the United States so this is quite troublesome.
Does anyone know were else to get them? Also I look around and I saw that some have two books, but some have three books. Was the third book a limited edition?  If possible could you still get the third book?

Thanks and I appreciate the help! emot-smile

Last edited by kj924 (06-20-2014 12:37:36 PM)

#2 | Back to Top06-22-2014 11:43:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: The Hardcore of Utena

The third book is a smaller booklet of extra material that as far as I know, came with all of them. You won't find direct from Japan shipments, but celga.com or other auction proxy sites can help you get it off Yahoo Japan Auctions, where it shows up frequently. There are two books, the smaller booklet and a pink bag in the 'complete' set. It just costs a lot. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top06-22-2014 12:46:38 PM

Tardigrade
Wakaba Wrangler

Are there any scans (scanlations would be even better!) of HoU floating around?

#4 | Back to Top06-22-2014 04:01:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I am, little by little, adding the content of HoU to the gallery. It's a rather gargantuan project so it's going to take some time. emot-redface

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/Series/Episodes

The folders labeled 'high resolution' are all from HoU, which is predominantly high quality scans of the cels for the show. The book with actual artwork is 99.9% stuff I actually have in higher quality on the gallery already. Scanlations wouldn't be a thing; there's no text. It's just an image collection.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#5 | Back to Top06-22-2014 04:47:56 PM

Tardigrade
Wakaba Wrangler

I can barely imagine how long that would take, I'll look forward to seeing it update emot-dance

#6 | Back to Top06-23-2014 10:05:44 AM

kj924
Wakaba Wrangler

Giovanna wrote:

The third book is a smaller booklet of extra material that as far as I know, came with all of them. You won't find direct from Japan shipments, but celga.com or other auction proxy sites can help you get it off Yahoo Japan Auctions, where it shows up frequently. There are two books, the smaller booklet and a pink bag in the 'complete' set. It just costs a lot. emot-frown

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help emot-smile I'll be sure to check out those sites!

#7 | Back to Top06-23-2014 10:17:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tardigrade wrote:

I can barely imagine how long that would take, I'll look forward to seeing it update emot-dance

It's definitely going to be a project I chew on for a loooong time. The images in the book are gorgeous, but of course once I scan them, they're scans, and I really want to try to preserve the spirit of them, which is to say very high quality images of the art of the show. So I'm block shading most of the images entirely over again. I'm not correcting degrading ink lines or anything, but I do want the colors to pop and not be all noisy the way a scan is. Similar to the other content in the gallery, which also took years, and when I had a lot more free time.

I'm doing it from start of the show through, but I will probably make detours here and there for images I really want to see done. (Don't worry, there's disappointingly little Akio in the book for how prominent he is later in the show.)

#8 | Back to Top03-16-2017 02:51:11 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

So, I just found the entirety of the Hardcore of Utena uploaded by this flickr user - https://www.flickr.com/photos/13638589@N00/albums
The pictures aren't scans, so not all of the images are of great quality, but it's really nice for anyone who just wants to see exactly what is in the books (it certainly made me want to throw all caution to the winds and spend all my money on them).
What I really want to ask is, does anyone know who uploaded these? I'd really like to know if they mind people using the pictures for things like tumblr or twitter headers. I don't have a yahoo account so I can't message them directly, and the albums were uploaded in 2013 and are the only things on their account - so possibly they don't check it often.
(also - I'm sorry if this was done by a forum member and has already been posted before! I couldn't find any mention of it anywhere but I might have missed something)

#9 | Back to Top03-16-2017 03:17:49 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

If it was uploaded in 2013, I dunno... you might not have any luck finding out. The thing is, most people are happy with a credit. I'd say try to contact them and then use the images with credit if no one answers. If the owner of the album objects, you can deal with it once they've reached out to you.

Sadly, there are a lot of old fandom artifacts littering the internet with creators that are just unreachable now. Do your due diligence and show them respect, but realize they may not be there anymore.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10 | Back to Top03-16-2017 03:41:22 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Thanks for the tip - I did some even more refined google searching to see if I could find the original poster and eventually ended up at... IRG of course> http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?p … 83#p255783 - so I guess I'll message cscratch if I want to use any of the images!

#11 | Back to Top03-16-2017 04:46:18 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Goddamn, I should have noticed. cscratch still comes by the forums every so often, and I'm 90% sure there would be no problems with you using the images in any case.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top03-17-2017 01:17:02 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

If you want to buy it but for whatever reason not through an auction, you can get it through a third-party shopping service. I can personally recommend My Favorite Things From Japan. They don't charge much, although shipping can be a lot. I ordered a CD through them and it arrived today.

#13 | Back to Top03-17-2017 02:35:47 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Ah thanks that's a good idea! I know a bit about those from trying to buy stuff on Taobao... I'll probaby try and order some of the CDs as well when I have the money.

#14 | Back to Top04-26-2017 12:21:50 PM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Tardigrade wrote:

It's definitely going to be a project I chew on for a loooong time. The images in the book are gorgeous, but of course once I scan them, they're scans, and I really want to try to preserve the spirit of them, which is to say very high quality images of the art of the show. So I'm block shading most of the images entirely over again. I'm not correcting degrading ink lines or anything, but I do want the colors to pop and not be all noisy the way a scan is. Similar to the other content in the gallery, which also took years, and when I had a lot more free time.

I'm doing it from start of the show through, but I will probably make detours here and there for images I really want to see done. (Don't worry, there's disappointingly little Akio in the book for how prominent he is later in the show.)

Can I just say, you are bad ass.  My figurative hat is off to you ma'am. emot-dance

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#15 | Back to Top04-27-2017 04:29:34 AM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Ack!  Just noticed this post! 

I originally uploaded those and for that exact reason, to give everyone a good idea of what's in the books without having to actually sink a bunch of cash into them.

As for the images, go to town!  Anything you want to do with them, have at it emot-danceemot-dance

Board footer