This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-14-2017 09:16:42 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

J. A. Seazer Apocalypse CD Potential Translation Project

I found out about this CD--it's almost all songs from Utena or from the Rose Egg Sophia CD, but it's the original, pre-Utena versions of the songs. There will be some differences in the lyrics--listening to another of his CDs on Spotify, I found out there's a version of Absolute Destiny Apocalypse with another verse, so I'm expecting that, for instance.
It took some effort, but I was able to confirm that the CD's insert booklet does have lyrics, so I'm ordering it. I will definitely scan and share the lyrics--would anyone be interested in helping me get them translated? I'm good at researching obscure terms and sources, not so good with the basics of Japanese grammar.
Really, this thing sounds fantastic and I'm super excited. It's hard to purchase from outside Japan (I couldn't find it on any site that ships to the U.S., and I know several), but if anyone else wants it, you can get if you contact a shopping service (I'm using My Favorite Things from Japan).

#2 | Back to Top02-14-2017 06:37:03 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Re: J. A. Seazer Apocalypse CD Potential Translation Project

Awesome - thanks for acquiring it! I'd be happy to weigh in anywhere you need a second opinion, as long as you're going to take the lead on it.

The good news is that Seazer's lyrics tend to be light on basic grammar. Or any grammar at all. Half the time they're just lists of bizarre phrases, and it's up to you to figure out what he's getting at.

...On second thought, that may not actually be good news for a translator. But either way, godspeed!

#3 | Back to Top02-15-2017 06:42:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

:crawls out of hole:

I honestly imagine translating his lyrics would be a nightmare. emot-frown

I'm stoked to hear about this!!! If you don't mind also ripping the CD with your scans, I'd be happy to host the files for everyone, in whatever format you think appropriate. The Revival CD is actually probably my favorite one, so I'm excited!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top03-17-2017 01:25:46 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

My CD arrived today!! Unfortunately, it does not include the extra verse to Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, but it does have another verse to Wakaba's duel song! Other than that, the lyrics to the duel songs are the same, except some have slight differences in kanji, which is interesting.
There isn't anything from the Rose Egg Sophia CD; I just thought there was because one of them had crescent moon in the title, but it's a different song, so don't expect any of that material. Still! Another verse to Wakaba's duel song is great.
There are several non-Utena songs as well.
I don't have anything scanned or translated yet but I want to let you all know I have it and this is what it's like.

#5 | Back to Top03-17-2017 02:37:17 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

I've figured out they're all sorted by which production they came from! There's one new (non-Utena) song from Hamlet, one from Casper Hauser, one from... I don't know, something about an alchemy embryonic play (5月『◎錬金術胚期劇◎ ペストシュタイン −百年演劇眼� �譚� �  � �虚構《T》ファイル−� � 袋・文芸�  ル・ピリエ to be specific, I don't think it produced any duel songs), and one from the Tenjo Sajiki adaptation of The Miraculous Mandarin.

Last edited by At Times, Love Is (03-17-2017 02:42:06 PM)

#6 | Back to Top03-18-2017 05:56:52 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Ahh that sounds so interesting, I'd love to know what the second verse to Magic Lantern Butterfly Moth is (partly because it references the Illiad/Epic Cycle, which I am almost as enthusiastic about as I am with SKU). Which of the other duel songs are on the CD?

#7 | Back to Top03-18-2017 09:48:21 AM

Koshernova
Touga Topper
Website

This sounds super cool, good luck with translations!

I've been trying to figure out which CD this is, do you have a link to cover art or to a site where we can buy it? Thanks emot-smile

#8 | Back to Top03-18-2017 03:40:45 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

The CD is the one at http://www.asian-crack.com/BIAC-006.html; I got the link from the banyu inryoku website. Unfortunately, this site doesn't ship to the U.S., and I couldn't find it on any site that does, so I got it through the shopping service http://myfavoritethingsjapan.com/. They only charge an 8 dollar fee, but with shipping and whatnot the total cost was 50 USD (the price of the CD is around 30).
I can do a quick tracklist in English.
1. Prologue [this is an instrumental]
2. Spira Mirabilis Theatre (Banyu Inryoku version)
3. Paleozoic within the Body (Banyu Inryoku version)
4. Crescent Moon Transmigration
5. Inhuman Illusory Soul Fusion Technique (Banyu Inryoku version)
6. Magical Lantern Butterfly Moth Sixteenth Century (Banyu Inryoku version)
7. Girls' Collection [少女コレクション]
8. W's Prophecy (Banyu Inryoku version)
9. I, I, I [it's basically just the word watashi sung over and over so that should be easy to translate, at least)
10. Angel Creation Namely Light (Banyu Inryoku version)
11. No One Talks About It (Banyu Inryoku version)
12. LastEvolution (Banyu Inryoku version) [this one is actually written out in English with no space like that)
13. Absolute Destiny Apocalypse (Banyu Inryoku version)
14. Seal Spell (Banyu Inryoku version)
15. Kaspar・Shangri La [note: this is literally a reference to Shangri-La, written out シャングリラ, not the phrase figuratively translated as Shangri-La in ZUM]
16. Pestilence Rescuscitation・Body Composition Extract
17. Dark Overture [instrumental]
18: Come Darkness: The Great Destruction
...I don't want to be pedantic, but I believe Magic Lantern Butterfly Moth 16th Century is referencing the Aeniad, not the Iliad. Or is Pyrrhus (son of Priam, not the other Pyrrhus) mentioned in the Iliad too?

#9 | Back to Top03-18-2017 05:11:37 PM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

Ah thanks for the tracklist! I'd really like to hear the Banyu Inryoku versions of the songs, so I might consider buying it sometime..
Interesting that wwww is listed as Prophesy of W, I've been wondering for a while if that was the original title of the song?

I think MLBM is talking about Pyrrus/Neoptolemus son of Achilles, who killed Priam? I know it was mistranslated as Paris somewhere, but that doesn't make any sense in the context of the lyrics. Pyrrus is mentioned in the Aeneid I think, but I've only read parts of that. I was wrong in naming the Illiad, because it doesn't cover those events (although I think he is mentioned once?) - I meant just to refer to the lost bits of the Epic Cycle but I'm never sure what to call them...

#10 | Back to Top03-18-2017 09:10:44 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Oh, yeah, I agree then, I was just thrown off by the title. Especially since it's from a play based on Hamlet--Pyrrhus and Priam are referenced in Hamlet.
I do think W's Prophecy/Prophecy of W was probably the original title; it's called that on the Angel Creation Namely Light CD too. (That one's great bc it has actually been released w/ the insert book in English, & it has cool info on the plays the songs came from, and it's actually cheap!).
I've got a draft of the translation of the new verse to Wakaba's duel song, so I can probably post it tomorrow. I'm also working on Shoujo Collection because that one doesn't have much kanji, so it's the easiest...

#11 | Back to Top03-19-2017 06:28:55 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Here's a link to a Google doc with the verse: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v58 … p=sharing.
It looks like my email address might be showing up there so if it is and anyone knows how to have it Not, let me know... I tried just taking a screenshot of the kanji lyrics, but I don't know how to upload it here, and when I tried to just copypaste, it didn't show up... I don't feel like trying other things right now, so I'm just going with this.
That translation is what I came up with looking at the corresponding passage in Hamlet and is not meant to be exact, so here's a more straightforward version:
Behold! Pyrrhus!
That assassin's dagger!
The old king collapsed,
His flesh made hollow,
Torn to pieces.
If there's anything inaccurate in that version, please let me know because I am really Not Fluent. I think it's important to talk about poetic choices if you're likely to make errors so that people can tell the difference.

Last edited by At Times, Love Is (03-19-2017 06:34:07 PM)

#12 | Back to Top03-19-2017 07:31:57 PM

Dallbun

At Times, Love Is wrote:

If there's anything inaccurate in that version, please let me know because I am really Not Fluent. I think it's important to talk about poetic choices if you're likely to make errors so that people can tell the difference.

I'm not exactly fluent either when it comes to this kind of language, but it looks reasonable to me. As poetic choices go, I like your "Lo!" and "flesh made hollow." I would probably go with "torn from limb to limb" rather than "minced," because the former is a well-established English phrase.

Thanks for your efforts!

Last edited by Dallbun (03-19-2017 07:33:21 PM)

#13 | Back to Top03-20-2017 03:42:55 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm just going to go with 'torn apart' because the lyrics don't actually say anything about limbs; it's just that the corresponding Shakespeare passage talks about limbs being minced--but it's not like the Japanese lyrics are a translation from the Shakespeare passage; it's more of a summary.

#14 | Back to Top03-21-2017 07:33:03 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Added track 7 to the Google doc.  There's one katakana term I can't figure out (ティアナ), so I would appreciate any help on that.
Translating フア ・アン・ファン as femme enfant might be counterintuitive, but I did find it written out with those katakana in writing about surrealism, and it's definitely a phrase Seazer would be familiar with because Shuji Terayama wrote about it.
I think the title is a reference to something by Tatsuhiko Shibusawa, but I haven't looked into it extensively.

#15 | Back to Top03-21-2017 09:44:43 PM

Dallbun

At Times, Love Is wrote:

Translating フア� ・アン・ファン as femme enfant might be counterintuitive, but I did find it written out with those katakana in writing about surrealism, and it's definitely a phrase Seazer would be familiar with because Shuji Terayama wrote about it.

Seems solid.

Added track 7 to the Google doc.  There's one katakana term I can't figure out (ティアナ), so I would appreciate any help on that.

Japanese Wikipedia lists テアーナ as an alternative transliteration, and both of them as katakana transliterations of the name/place name Teana. I think you can be reasonably confident of that translation, and you'll probably have to to leave it at that, even if you don't know what Teana he's referring to. It's the least of your worries when you're trying to make sense of lyrics like "but you know 少女コレクション / that communication breakdown." emot-rolleyes

#16 | Back to Top03-22-2017 06:49:32 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Crescent Moon Transmigration is going slowly, but as for "Shoujo Collection" being a Tatsuhiko Shibusawa reference--yeah. Quite possibly the whole song is and the more I read about this guy the more I wonder how many Seazer songs that could be said about... anyway, found the book at https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B0%91%E5%A … 4122012007.
I'm not buying it anytime soon (it's super cheap, but I already bought one of this guy's essay books and that's enough to last me a long time), but I suspect the answer about Teana will be in there somewhere. I also want to note that Lolita and L'Eve Future are both listed as things people frequently buy with this book, along with a Sleeping Beauty adaptation (or translation, not sure) by this person.
Also, I know there are people trying to get more information about Tatsuhiko Shibusawa's works onto the Internet, so hopefully that means some answers will be easier to find in the future than they are now. (I read there are plans to try to get all of his works online... by 2036).

#17 | Back to Top03-23-2017 02:16:02 AM

RoseandRelease
Juri Jeerer
Website

I seem to remember seeing something in an essay about Shuji Terayama that said that one of his radio plays was quite directly influenced by Shibusawa's works, so it's pretty interesting to hear that Seazer was as well (I know almost nothing about him other than that)
The song has interesting lyrics though so thanks for your translation! Is it from Kigajutsushi Requiem along with Prophesy of W or from another play?

#18 | Back to Top03-23-2017 10:05:34 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Yep, it is! Watashi Watashi Watashi (the one I don't need to translate because the lyrics are just one word) is too.
Tatsuhiko Shibusawa seems to be a huge influence. I bought one of his books because it was the only lead I could find on the term クシュ デュメー from A Solitary Life History in a Petite Universe (from the Rose Egg Sophia CD), and it is full of very specific things that were mentioned in duel songs. (As for the term, I know it refers to a historical pair of conjoined twins known as the Scottish brothers, and apparently the name comes from their having two heads, four arms, and one pelvis--but the book doesn't seem to say what language it's from).

#19 | Back to Top03-27-2017 06:50:46 PM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

It turns out Crescent Moon Transmigration is confusing because it does THAT THING. Where the kanji it's written with 1) don't make up actual words and 2) are totally different from what is actually being sung--and it's sung really fast! This is going to be difficult...
I might try to see if there are any other songs that are less... like this... before trying to figure it out...

Board footer