This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top11-06-2009 01:53:47 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Re: Creepiest Moments in SKU

I think one of the creepiest moments is when the Shadow Play girls play are retelling the story of the Prince in Episode 34.  The play keeps cutting back to this empty theater where just Utena, Anthy, & Akio are sitting in the dark, watching this story unfold. 

I got chills when the Shadow Play girls said:

Shadow Play Prince:  "Calamity is threatening the world. There is one who plans to steal all the light from the world and plunge the land deep into darkness."
Shadow Play Prince:  "Who is this you speak of?!"
Shadow Play Witch:  "A witch!"

Immediately after she says, "Witch!" the scene cuts to Anthy again, with that same, sterile smile that we all know means there's gonna be trouble. 

If I had been Utena, I would have run out of that theater screaming - waaaay too creepy vibe.

Last edited by cscratch (11-06-2009 01:54:21 PM)

#77 | Back to Top11-10-2009 07:36:38 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I was reminded of this in the "Would you tap that" thread:

Exhibit A
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/3336-1/Series_ep07_064.jpg

Exhibit B
http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/23762-1/Movie_Screen_0412.jpg

OMGWTFSRSLY.

The differences are his sideburns and the part of his hair.

#78 | Back to Top06-28-2010 01:25:31 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

emot-gonk Okay so apparently I can't watch most of the Black Rose episodes that feature Nemuro Hall prominently alone during the late night, ESPECIALLY Kanae's episode because it FREAKS ME THE HELL OUT.

These include the empty shoes=dead people, the hindsight of  knowing there was some live burial going down within those coffins, and the vague sense Kanae heard banging from inside the coffins.

And also flashback scenes to Nemuro hall... http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/9400-1/Series_ep23_056.jpg....emot-gonk

Although it really does help to see the building as a giant toaster...poptart

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#79 | Back to Top06-30-2010 07:52:44 PM

useme_imbeautiful
Saionji Slapper

for some reason i get extremely creeped out when i see scenes of Anthy with all of those swords in her. it makes my body ache! emot-gonk

i want him.

#80 | Back to Top07-24-2010 12:12:04 PM

Zabel Z
Ohtori Paramouri

one more:

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/14748-1/Series_ep35_119.jpg

I mean, I don't think Touga is THAT big, I think this girl has 9 years old, and still he....

Eeeeekkk emot-gonk

Damm kids, get out of my lawn!!!

#81 | Back to Top07-25-2010 01:29:20 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Touga's something in the realm of 6'4, and she comes up to where Anthy and Nanami's henchmen do. Anthy's about 5'0 and they're 14 or so.

He's still a damned pervert.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#82 | Back to Top07-25-2010 01:57:21 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Touga's something in the realm of 6'4, and she comes up to where Anthy and Nanami's henchmen do. Anthy's about 5'0 and they're 14 or so.

He's still a damned pervert.

And it's pretty obvious he has a good teacher. I don't know if this has already come up, but there's that shot of Akio getting up close and personal with Wakaba:

http://akio.ohtori.nu/images/07_wakaba.jpg

When I first saw that one my reaction was pretty much along the lines of "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeYAAAAAAAAAHHH! Oh dear god no! Run away! Run the eff away!"

#83 | Back to Top07-25-2010 11:32:33 PM

Cherry
Mikage Mistruster
Website

The final episode, when Dios is talking to Utena about how she can't save Anthy, like "You can't save her. How that power is used...", then suddenly you hear Akio's voice say "is my decision". That made me jump like hell. >< I think I actually squealed.

Missing Link has to be the creepiest song in the series. >< Freaks me out. It's the sorta lullaby-child-like tinkling sounds. It doesn't help that it's combined with the carasel and Anthy being stabbed. I actually like the song, but it -is- freaky!

I never know what to write here..

#84 | Back to Top07-26-2010 12:22:30 AM

sissyhiyah
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Oh God, creepiest thing in the entire series? 
Young Touga's fingers as she strokes Utena's hair.  Reaching into a coffin to touch the hair of a 'dead' girl?  Ack!  There's something very tender and almost caring about the motion itself, but there's just something about his desire to touch her that bothers me.

#85 | Back to Top07-26-2010 09:03:25 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

This isn't really creepy but I just noticed that the sweater Utena wears on her Akio date and during her make-up session with Anthy seems to be the same one Anthy knits for her in the Nanami cowbell episode (although Nanami's dream that Touga is going to eat her IS creepy). Maybe the neck got stretched out when Utena used it as a bullfighter cape, ha, ha!
http://ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/episo … 8.jpg.html
http://ohtori.nu/galerie/v/series/episo … 7.jpg.html

Last edited by Dani (07-26-2010 09:12:12 PM)

#86 | Back to Top07-31-2010 11:37:30 AM

Zabel Z
Ohtori Paramouri

crystalwren wrote:
And it's pretty obvious he has a good teacher. I don't know if this has already come up, but there's that shot of Akio getting up close and personal with Wakaba:

(pic)

When I first saw that one my reaction was pretty much along the lines of "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeYAAAAAAAAAHHH! Oh dear god no! Run away! Run the eff away!"

I was more like this when Wakaba goes in a "date" with Akio:

http://ohtori.nu/galerie/d/12448-1/Series_ep30_050.jpg

nooooooooooooooooooo wakaba!!! Why god, why? emot-gonk

Damm kids, get out of my lawn!!!

#87 | Back to Top07-31-2010 12:48:21 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

A lot of things you guys mentioned creep me out, especially during the Black Rose part!

One thing that I didn't see here that creeps me out is the end credits of the last episode.  They're supposed to be uplifting, right?  Anthy is walking away from Ohtori to freedom and to find Utena.  It does make me feel warm and tingly inside, but there's the fact that she's not moving, the backdrop is.  And her shadow is up against the scenery.  It gives me the eerie feeling that she's still inside Ohtori and her escape is just another illusion from the projector.  She's really just walking in place.  I'm sure that's not the point of the end credits, it's just a stylistic choice..but the first time I noticed, it gave me chills!

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#88 | Back to Top07-31-2010 01:28:15 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

HonorableShadow wrote:

CREEPY AS FUCK

emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

#89 | Back to Top08-03-2010 02:34:51 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

HonorableShadow wrote:

A lot of things you guys mentioned creep me out, especially during the Black Rose part!

One thing that I didn't see here that creeps me out is the end credits of the last episode.  They're supposed to be uplifting, right?  Anthy is walking away from Ohtori to freedom and to find Utena.  It does make me feel warm and tingly inside, but there's the fact that she's not moving, the backdrop is.  And her shadow is up against the scenery.  It gives me the eerie feeling that she's still inside Ohtori and her escape is just another illusion from the projector.  She's really just walking in place.  I'm sure that's not the point of the end credits, it's just a stylistic choice..but the first time I noticed, it gave me chills!

Oh, god, why did you do that to me?! emot-gonk

#90 | Back to Top08-03-2010 01:22:28 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

That car episode (I believe it's called "Barefoot Girl"?). Anthy was creepy with her eyes obscured by her glasses. And, holding the candles when the bells ring. When I first saw that scene, I thought to myself, "Anthy, who are you?"

#91 | Back to Top08-03-2010 01:35:47 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hiraku wrote:

That car episode (I believe it's called "Barefoot Girl"?). Anthy was creepy with her eyes obscured by her glasses. And, holding the candles when the bells ring. When I first saw that scene, I thought to myself, "Anthy, who are you?"

Quoted for truth.   Nanami's two Akio Arc duel episodes are just downright devastating.  I still haven't written up my thoughts yet on my interpretation of what goes down, but I've rewatched it many times and it still always breaks my heart and scares me to see how completely and methodically the three biggest manipulators in the show (Anthy, Akio and Touga) psychologically and emotionally break her down layer by layer.  Jerks.

#92 | Back to Top09-22-2010 02:34:39 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

HonorableShadow wrote:

Dear god why! But I do believe that Anthy really escaped from Ohtori. People have already posted a lot of creepy moments, but I still have some.

In episode 39, there's some rather disturbing foreshadowing when Juri tells everyone about her older sister nearly drowning and how she can't remember the name of the boy who died trying to save her sister. I think it's referring to how later they will all forget about Utena, even though she's probably not dead. Also, the way Nanami asks her why she told them that story, like she's on the verge of crying, is disturbing.
T
Furthermore, there's the extremely creepy moaning that happens right after Akio leaps onto the platform that leads to the Rose Gate. the way he calls for Anthy when he hears the moaning is panicky, so you know something really bad will happen. The part with the voices saying, "Witch! Witch Witch!" over again gave me nightmares.

Another thing is the fact that no magic really binds the Rose Bride to Ohtori; it is her own personal choice to stay or leave. Since Anthy stays and endures the torture of the millions of swords, we can infer that she is so psychologically traumatized by the last time she was in the outside world that staying with the swords seems to be the better choice. In other words, Anthy's choice, from her point of view, is between eternal torture and returning to the place that brought about her torment in the first place.

Last edited by CausalityStar (09-22-2010 02:38:09 AM)

#93 | Back to Top09-22-2010 08:42:39 AM

lieutenant tangerine
Miki Molester

Kanae and the apple. /shudderboogablech

And the burning tiles as they fall in the whole Nemuro arc.

And any shot of silhouette Anthy with the swords. And then in the last few episodes, where she's not silhouetted, and you see her eye peeking out.

#94 | Back to Top01-15-2011 04:56:20 AM

minervana
High Tripper

For me, the first scenes between Utena and Akio will always be creepy as creeping mint. Even before I knew the series well, I would watch Utena and Akio together and think "Something's...not right..."

I think the creepiest part is in Episode 14, where Utena and Anthy interrupt the "private party," Akio is blushing. Something about that detail wigs me out. It's just so duplicitous, except it might not be...maybe Anthy (who isn't blushing) arranged to get him caught in the act. I wouldn't put it past her.

Last edited by minervana (01-15-2011 04:56:57 AM)

#95 | Back to Top01-17-2011 01:28:47 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

In  Azure Paler Than the Sky I believe, Shiori leaves a message on Ruka's phone when she is in her dorm. Kudos to her seiyuu, because her voice in that little scene really did creep me out.

#96 | Back to Top06-01-2016 06:08:11 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Looks like no one posted in this thread in quite some time. Guess I'll go ahead and bring it back to life. I was cringing reading some of the responses. Sometimes I block the creepy stuff from my head.

To me, the entirety of "Missing Link" is pretty creepy and terrifying, especially the end where they keep saying "missing link" over and over.
Also, one of the creepiest scenes is when Himemiya stabs Utena and we see the carousel and hear children's laughter. It's amazing how something as sweet as children laughing can turn creepy in the right context.

Last edited by maridaberri (06-01-2016 06:08:40 PM)

#97 | Back to Top06-01-2016 07:19:43 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

I think I would have to rewatch the series again in order to catch the moments that creeped me out the most. But one of the ones that comes to mind is the scene where three candles are on a stick and the light flickers out on some of them. At one point Anthy is shown to be holding the candles. Unfortunately I don't remember what episode this is from:confused:.

http://s33.postimg.org/bax3wn0q3/anthy_holding_candle.jpg

Also Nanami turning into a cow was creepy.

http://s33.postimg.org/zb8t654a3/nanami_is_a_cow.jpg

#98 | Back to Top06-01-2016 07:52:10 PM

Revolutionary
Saionji Slapper

The Anthy & Candle Holder thing is from Ep 30,  the Barefoot Girl,  I think.

I think Ep. 33 is full of creepy, for obvious reasons.

Rule 1: You can never be too sure what will happen next... -Ruby Redfort

#99 | Back to Top06-01-2016 09:53:10 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

I think I was laughing way too hard at Nanami turning into a cow to get creeped out emot-rofl. But I agree.... Anthy with the candelabra and glowing glasses... mega creepy.

Last edited by maridaberri (06-01-2016 09:54:08 PM)

Board footer