This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-10-2010 02:37:13 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: The Troubleshooting Thread [for computers, etc]

Ha, don't worry about it. I'm just glad that it got all figured out.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#52 | Back to Top07-11-2010 05:39:14 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Yeah.  Except I wanna shoot HP now, I called them (because apparently the XP I used isn't compatible with the computer?) and they told me that I could have gotten the CD for free had I not tried to reinstall it myself.  Um, hello, you fucks, you guys never told me that was an option.  emot-mad

#53 | Back to Top07-11-2010 10:22:02 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

What the fuck. Okay, when I worked at Dell doing the same thing these idiots are doing, we would have given you one. Especially if you kicked up a fuss about it. I honestly suggest calling them back-- don't be mean, don't swear, but tell them you're really upset with HP because you called in for help and you weren't told that was an option which was the whole reason you tried to install a different copy of XP. Remember the OEM I kept on mentioning on the phone? That's the disc you want-- HP's copy of windows. And I know for a fact those things are cheap as borscht, they just don't want to pay the shipping. Call them back-- it's their fault because they actually told you you couldn't have that option in the first place, that your only option was to send it in. You should be able to have that disc for free.

Fucking outsourcers emot-mad

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#54 | Back to Top07-11-2010 10:42:55 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Lightice wrote:

chrisb wrote:

When I would start up my PC it was all like random colors and pixels and snow. I opened it up and it was incredibly dusty and I used a can of compressed air to get it all out. Still didn't work. I moved some things around and what seemed to work was fidgeting the video card and RAM. Computer is working fine now.

Anyway to prevent this in the future? What was the cause? Should I get a new video card just in case?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a case of overheating, or dust getting into the ports. Keep the case clean and away from obvious heat sources for starters, and see if the problem repeats itself. You may also try cleaning the ports more thoroughly with a toothpick or something, just in case (but carefully!).

Thank you. A couple other places have also said it was overheating. I'll follow your advice with the toothpick I was wondering what was the best way to clean up the ports.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#55 | Back to Top07-11-2010 11:05:38 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Yasha wrote:

What the fuck. Okay, when I worked at Dell doing the same thing these idiots are doing, we would have given you one. Especially if you kicked up a fuss about it. I honestly suggest calling them back-- don't be mean, don't swear, but tell them you're really upset with HP because you called in for help and you weren't told that was an option which was the whole reason you tried to install a different copy of XP. Remember the OEM I kept on mentioning on the phone? That's the disc you want-- HP's copy of windows. And I know for a fact those things are cheap as borscht, they just don't want to pay the shipping. Call them back-- it's their fault because they actually told you you couldn't have that option in the first place, that your only option was to send it in. You should be able to have that disc for free.

Fucking outsourcers emot-mad

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely give them a call tomorrow.  The most DICK thing was, the last time I called them, I talked to the SAME DAMN OPERATOR.  Yes, Muhammed, I called YOU last month.  Yes, Muhammed, it's the same damn problem.  Yes, Muhammed, that's Wakan on my desktop, you can stop trying to make small-talk while we delete shit off of my flash drive on my desktop computer in order to put some drivers onto my laptop in order to try to fix the problem.  "You COULD HAVE gotten the disc for freeeeeee, but unfortunatelyyy, you have to pay $15!" I'm not paying $15 for an XP disc.  I don't even spend $15 on a music CD.  emot-mad

Last edited by winksniper (07-11-2010 11:06:33 PM)

#56 | Back to Top07-12-2010 06:21:20 PM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

This kind of isn't this thread. But, oh ye tech-savvy types please take pity: Where can a not-very-tech-savvy girl go to learn basic html code?

#57 | Back to Top07-12-2010 07:26:08 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

W3 schools used to be pretty good.

#58 | Back to Top07-13-2010 03:12:16 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

w-3 is always a great source for learning basic internet-ing. HOWEVER!!!!!!!

IF you have a half price books... i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you go pick up O'rielly's HTML book. Every computer programmer has their huge stack of help books somewhere in their house... Currently my huge stack is Java, J-script, PHP, HTML, CSS, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver. I use different company's reference books for different things... however the Oreilly's HTML book is one of my favorites. Its very simple and very easy to use. It takes you step by step through the whole process... builds the entire website with you and shows you in detail the coding.

Here is their website:

http://oreilly.com/

The copy that i have has a koala on it.

HTML is really easy. If you ever need help, feel free to ping me emot-smile I enjoy teaching HTML because its so simple!

Again: get the Html book......

#59 | Back to Top07-14-2010 06:26:41 PM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

Thank you muchly! I shall probably buy the book and write it off as an official expense for the newspaper.

#60 | Back to Top10-20-2010 03:34:21 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I just bought a Western Digital 1.5 tb external hardrive, (not portable) from the tiger direct store about 11 days ago, only now had the chance to plug it in and see if it works.

My computer doesn't seem to be picking it up or recognizing it at all, and the online manual says that if this happens its very common to be damaged and I'll have to return or replace or something, but seeing as I already opened it and tried to use it I'm not sure if I'll be able to exchange so easily. Advice?

Last edited by haelsyx (10-20-2010 03:35:15 PM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#61 | Back to Top10-20-2010 11:36:36 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Bring it back to tiger direct with all the packaging and the receipt and tell them what the issue is. Gio and I have dealt with them before and they're usually pretty good about things like that.

#62 | Back to Top10-25-2010 01:49:14 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

They were very good about it, I just told them it didn't work, they didn't even open the box to see if everything was in there. Now I bought a portable 1 tb external and it works very well emot-smile  Thanks!

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#63 | Back to Top10-25-2010 07:57:35 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

You're welcome, hon! emot-keke

#64 | Back to Top03-11-2012 11:43:25 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

OK I need to resurrect this thread because I need help with my job.

My job is to transcribe phone interviews, but the respondent is super quiet and the interviewer is about regular volume. To hear anything, I need to up the volume, but whenever the interviewer talks, my ears get blasted. So I need to normalize the volume within an audio file. I've googled and I can only seem to find programs for normalizing a batch of songs, so normalizing between files. Does anyone know of, or can suggest a solution for this? It's getting me behind because I can't work with a migraine. I'm going to miss this week's deadline because of it.

Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

#65 | Back to Top03-12-2012 09:41:51 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I just checked my copy and it does have an option under effects for normalizing a full track. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#66 | Back to Top03-12-2012 10:55:46 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Giovanna wrote:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I just checked my copy and it does have an option under effects for normalizing a full track. emot-smile

You da bomb. cool

#67 | Back to Top07-01-2013 11:40:45 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Hey guys. I had a little question I put over in the random conversation thread, an Satyr suggested I ask here as well/instead, since some forumites who know about pc's would probably be more likely to poke their noses in this thread than that one. So ....

Question: My PC is dying. It's been a slow and steady process. I don't know exactly when it will give out on me, but I'm sort of expecting it to in the moderately near future at this point. This has me thinking about a replacement PC. It might be nice to get the replacement while I can still use the internet to order on this one. At least, it would be nice to look at parts and reviews and stuff on the internet here. So I'm trying to find an on-line store that will build one for me. I know a lot of people say it's easy to build yourself, but I'm inept in these matters and would break things. Trust me. I know myself. In a company that will do this for me, I'm also (ideally) looking for one that doesn't stamp their name/logo obnoxiously on the finished product. If they don't charge a metric ton for putting it together, even better.

Does anyone know a good/trustworthy website that can have a PC set up for me at a (somewhat) reasonable fee? It might sound pretty dumb, but I have a sort-of specific desire for a certain aesthetics regarding the case. Currently I have the 1000SE from Zalman. I don't know much about how well cases work with x,y,z, and what not. But I'd like to end up with this case again, or one very much like it (Simple, fairly large full-tower, matte black, no shiny lights or windows). It's almost entirely a matter of looks for me, but I feel like windows would make it harder to install sound dampening stuff as well? Anyways. If anyone knew of an internet shop that I could literally send that case to and have them build a pc in it for me, or one that could order that case on my behalf and then build a pc in, that would be perfect. If not, just anywhere that sells a reasonably similar full-tower design would work.

Aesthetics aside, I'm mostly looking for an online store that can build me a high-end PC that will last for a (long) while, can fit a top end graphics card, multiple hard drives, and can help fix my incompetance so I don't end up installing an electric source insufficient for my graphics card, or a mother board that doesn't work with whatever, etc. So, you know. People to advise/work with a little. I don't mind spending a bunch on this and am basically expecting to but, like I said, if the store doesn't have a ridiculously hefty surcharge for doing the assembly that would be nice.

I know several people recommended NewEgg. I got my current pc there a few years back when there was an offer to get it built on that Site. I can't find this offer anymore, so unless I'm missing something I guess it's no longer available. Even if they did, this dying computer problem has me a bit sour on them. It's /probably/ got nothing to do with them whatsoever, but part of me feels like they were negligent in some regard. I didn't have the best ordering experience either.

Some other people recommended FalconNW. I feel like they add a fairly hefty surcharge for this, and I'm not crazy about having a bird logo on my case, but they do have some basically black matte cases. And its nice knowing people who have recommended them. I've found some other site on my own, and they look nice, but I'm really hesitant to make a 3-4k dollar purchase on a site I know absolutely nothing about, that hasn't been recommended to me by anyone at all. I'm sure most of those are perfectly legitimate small businesses that do a pretty good job, but yeah.

I suppose it would probably also be possible to save my pc by finding what's going wrong specifically and replacing it (I suspect my SSD has gotten damaged somehow). I kind of wouldn't mind using this opportunity to start from scratch though, and put something new together. So I'm leaning heavily in that direction rather than the "let's try to fix it" one.

Thanks, if any of you have any advice!

#68 | Back to Top08-24-2013 11:50:03 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I am so glad we have a thread for this kind of stuff! I have two problems that I would LOVE help with.

Problem 1: I locked myself out of my laptop; I can't remember the password to log in. I didn't write it down anywhere and I didn't make a password recovery disk. Every password hacking tool that I've tried (downloaded on my other computer) has either failed or been way too difficult for me to understand/use. Therefore, I have no idea how to log back into my laptop, and I'm worried that I'll have to reinstall Windows Vista to get access to it again. I know that doing this will erase all of my files, which would suck, because I need them for my grad school applications. If someone has any ideas about what can be done, PLEASE let me know!

Problem 2: The message "build 7601, windows not genuine" appeared when I booted up my other computer today. I know that I'm using a genuine version of windows; I've been using it for 6+ months without this message showing up, so I don't know why it's showing up now or how to fix it, really. I've tried running WAT Fix, but I'm not sure if that solved the problem or not. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#69 | Back to Top08-25-2013 08:29:23 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

bella wrote:

Problem 1: I locked myself out of my laptop; I can't remember the password to log in. I didn't write it down anywhere and I didn't make a password recovery disk. Every password hacking tool that I've tried (downloaded on my other computer) has either failed or been way too difficult for me to understand/use. Therefore, I have no idea how to log back into my laptop, and I'm worried that I'll have to reinstall Windows Vista to get access to it again. I know that doing this will erase all of my files, which would suck, because I need them for my grad school applications. If someone has any ideas about what can be done, PLEASE let me know!

Have you tried this method? Basically what it does is has you use your vista disc to get at command prompt, then you reset the password from command prompt.

If you haven't used command prompt much, the only thing to remember is that when you type in a command it has to be exact, otherwise your computer goes lol what are you talking about and then you have to retype it. Pain in the ass, I do that all the time. etc-saiowank

bella wrote:

Problem 2: The message "build 7601, windows not genuine" appeared when I booted up my other computer today. I know that I'm using a genuine version of windows; I've been using it for 6+ months without this message showing up, so I don't know why it's showing up now or how to fix it, really. I've tried running WAT Fix, but I'm not sure if that solved the problem or not. Any suggestions?

Check in Control Panel-->System, at the bottom of the page. It should say "Windows is activated." Or reboot and see if it happens again. Not much to do other than that-- if something goes wrong and you can't get into the computer, write down the support number for microsoft somewhere. Their tech support isn't too bad.

#70 | Back to Top09-09-2013 05:56:33 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

The method you recommended for resetting a password worked, Yasha! I've got access to my laptop again! emot-dance Thank you so much!! etc-love

As far as the "Windows is not genuine" problem, I checked under my computer settings and it says that my activation status is unknown. I still periodically get messages about my copy of windows not being genuine. I'm wondering if it was something I downloaded, because I only started getting this message recently. emot-confused It's too bad there's not much I can do, but I will keep the support number for Microsoft handy. Thanks!

#71 | Back to Top09-09-2013 12:12:30 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Do you have your activation code? If so, try re-entering it and see if that fixes it. I know that was one of the suggested fixes I saw when I researched. You should be able to do it by clicking on the activation unknown status.

#72 | Back to Top09-09-2013 10:07:09 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I tried what you suggested, Yasha. The product key that I copied off of a sticker on the back of my computer didn't seem to work at first, but when I checked my Windows activation status again, the status showed up as activated, so...I guess problem solved? emot-confused

It seems to have worked overall, and will hopefully stay that way. Thanks so much for your help!etc-love

#73 | Back to Top09-10-2013 01:17:14 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

No problem, sweetheart. I'm glad it's working emot-keke

#74 | Back to Top09-29-2013 10:13:47 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I have another problem! I accidentally got an SD card stuck in the SD card slot of my computer, and nothing I've tried had been able to remove it (in fact, I think I might have damaged the SD slot in the process emot-gonk) There's nothing important on the SD card right now, so my question is: is it okay to just leave the card in the slot? Will doing that over a long period of time hurt my computer in any way? Toshiba support suggested that I get the SD card professionally removed, but I don't have the money for that. I am okay with never using my SD slot again. I just want to make sure this won't hurt my laptop in the long run.

#75 | Back to Top09-29-2013 01:52:27 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It should be fine, just keep an eye out for any weird things that happen on your computer. If you want some extra security, find out what the driver is for the SD card reader and disable it so that the computer can't use it. You know where Device Manager is, right? Check in there to see if you can find the SD card reader listed. Or give me a screenshot and I'll check the drivers for you.

Actually, if you google around, you might be able to find out how to disassemble your SD card reader too, although I wouldn't bother with it unless it does start messing with your computer. It shouldn't, but there's always a chance.

Board footer