This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-21-2010 05:51:16 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Say WHUT? Share your speech habits!

Trench Kamen wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

my recently converted Jehova's Witness family members..

Do tell. This sounds like a good story.

I'll save it for the scary stories thread. emot-gonk

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (05-21-2010 09:20:57 PM)

#27 | Back to Top05-21-2010 06:14:32 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

I pick up accents and have trouble getting rid of them.  When we had exchange students when I was a child, I'd start talking like them.  When I get nervous or am in a social situation with many people I don't know, I revert to a northern accent. Which is an interesting trick, given that the farthest north I've ever lived was central Indiana. I picked it up from my freshman roommate who was from northern Wisconsin.  I used to get asked if I'm from Minnesota a lot in the first few years after I lived with her, but now I've been downgraded to Michigan.  Even when I say I'm from Indiana, they assume I'm from the northern border.

That being said, when I'm in Texas for a week or so, I start getting a drawl. Combined with the northern bit. It's weird.

I say "like" more than I should as a grown woman, but oh well. I try to only cuss in the car--which means I freaked out my oldest brother the other night when I was cursing people for parking badly (seriously, take the time to straighten out your car, people!)  He'd never heard me say certain words before, it seems.  Which makes sense, given that I rarely find a need to be in the driver's seat when we're together.

I don't think I have any other quirks, but I suppose Paradox would know best on that count.

#28 | Back to Top05-21-2010 10:13:24 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Ive been getting in touch with the hispanic portion of my heritage(s), so lately ive been saying small phrases in spanglish. Also to all my non american brothers and sisters, Im totally jacking (stealing) your slang.poptart

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#29 | Back to Top05-22-2010 12:24:56 AM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

Epee_724 wrote:

Ive been getting in touch with the hispanic portion of my heritage(s), so lately ive been saying small phrases in spanglish.

This is an epic win!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

#30 | Back to Top05-22-2010 02:31:35 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

I have a latent Boston accent. Normally this is something I can just turn on and off to amuse people, but when I’m particularly flustered, impatient, or groggy, I sometimes find myself reverting to it unintentionally. Roots run deep, I guess. emot-tongue

On the other hand, I speak Japanese with a Kansai accent because I deliberately trained myself to do so.

Also, I can’t roll my Rs at all. Never figured out how. I think that’s why I never felt right taking Spanish in high school. :shrug:

#31 | Back to Top05-22-2010 05:23:16 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I have no discernible accent, I've been like that since I was little. My family's the same way, even though we've been in Louisiana for 150+ years. (and in Georgia before that!) We just don't sound...Southern. No one notices this with the rest of my family, but it's particularly pronounced when I speak.

If I had a microphone, I'd record my voice for you and upload it to show you what I mean. However, the best approximation I can give you is that I sound like Gabourey Sidibe, only far less interesting.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#32 | Back to Top05-22-2010 11:19:31 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

I can wear an accent after brief exposure, but I can't say that I really have one myself. My mother, however, will develop an abrasive southern accent the moment she picks up a phone, which is perhaps the most embarrassingly ridiculous things she does. I have an odd sort of speech impediment myself. My brain works at least four times faster than my mouth, so I get caught up in what I'm trying to say, what I mean, what I'm currently saying, and at least two other ways to say it all at the same time and end up tripping over my words and conjoining them irreverently on my tongue. This is grotesquely exacerbated with any kind of social pressure.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#33 | Back to Top05-23-2010 07:47:11 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

My dad has noticed that I pronounce the word for as fer, and it drives him crazy. I honestly can't help it, though. I'm from Texas. emot-biggrin

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#34 | Back to Top05-24-2010 12:30:04 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

KillerxXxQueen wrote:

My brain works at least four times faster than my mouth, so I get caught up in what I'm trying to say, what I mean, what I'm currently saying, and at least two other ways to say it all at the same time and end up tripping over my words and conjoining them irreverently on my tongue. This is grotesquely exacerbated with any kind of social pressure.

Me too. Or I will combine a word with the following word in the sentence. Another thing ive noticed, is that if im excited enough words will simply refuse to form. I know the exact word I intend to use, but for some reason I am unable to vocalize it. So it will look like I just............................stopped midsentence.

#35 | Back to Top05-24-2010 06:55:27 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

My dad has noticed that I pronounce the word for as fer, and it drives him crazy. I honestly can't help it, though. I'm from Texas. emot-biggrin

zomg. I love Southern USA accents, I dunno what that's about since I come from the North of England and have never met anyone with one IRL, lol. But they sound so pleasing to the ear.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#36 | Back to Top05-24-2010 08:44:12 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Bluesky wrote:

zomg. I love Southern USA accents, I dunno what that's about since I come from the North of England and have never met anyone with one IRL, lol. But they sound so pleasing to the ear.

Some Southern US accents are so thick and rife with regionalisms that they seem like an entirely different language than from the rest of the country.

That's one thing about a nation as large and with such a varied history as ours... we may be one country, but there's all kinds of variations of American English depending on where you are. Still, I've got to give a lot of credit to the UK and Ireland which squeeze a lot of different dialects into such a small space! emot-keke

Oh yeah! I just remembered this cool website I found years ago which is highly relevant to this discussion! The Speech Accent Archive. Enjoy! cool

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (05-24-2010 08:48:20 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#37 | Back to Top05-25-2010 02:37:22 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Mylene wrote:

I pick up accents and have trouble getting rid of them.  When we had exchange students when I was a child, I'd start talking like them.  When I get nervous or am in a social situation with many people I don't know, I revert to a northern accent. Which is an interesting trick, given that the farthest north I've ever lived was central Indiana. I picked it up from my freshman roommate who was from northern Wisconsin.  I used to get asked if I'm from Minnesota a lot in the first few years after I lived with her, but now I've been downgraded to Michigan.  Even when I say I'm from Indiana, they assume I'm from the northern border.

That being said, when I'm in Texas for a week or so, I start getting a drawl. Combined with the northern bit. It's weird.

If I am some where for a few days I will pick up an accent...Also people telling me this just exacerbates the issue. So sometimes it can get strange. Someday I hope to do a passable British accent. I don't like the recorded sound of my voice.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#38 | Back to Top05-25-2010 02:09:13 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

We have very... distinct dialects here in Newfoundland. We don't share the Canadian accent of the mainland, and people who here us usually think that we're Irish, Scottish, or British(?).

Phrases like "Yes, b'y!", "Buddy, what're ya at?" and "Gettin' on the go t'night?" are pretty common. I'm, um, not really a fan of how we speak, and my accent, although present, is less extreme because I live near the city.

But yeah. It's pretty unique, which is definitely something.

Also, "Buddy dat's sum gay luh!" pops up all over the place. Good times.

#39 | Back to Top05-25-2010 11:11:44 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

I say things like Coolskis and awesomesauce lately and sing nonsensical words to myself when happy emot-smile

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#40 | Back to Top05-29-2010 04:18:54 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I... I sound exactly how I type. D:

My voice DRASTICALLY changes in pitch and depth, because... I seriously forgot what I sound like. emot-gonk (I went near deaf as a kid, and it comes back at inopportune times.) I also supposedly have like, two of those things that hang from your throat? I obviously can't see it, but they considered getting me surgery for it, but surgery might have messed up my voice or something? I'm not sure. I don't even know if they fixed it. emot-gonk

I make LOTS of strange voices, and my mother has always wanted me to do cartoons. D: I just sit around making strange noises all day, seriously. D:

I also DON'T have a southern accent. People online always assume I do, and no, noone does where I live. (Except my aunt, and we have no idea why she does.)

I also say things like vegetamables and realimaties, and I'd type like that too, but its really hard. D: And I OVEREMPHASIZE words alot.

My family speaks spanish, and the only thing I caught of it is talking FAST. (A hispanic accent is talking at the speed of light. seriously. also, DRAMATICALLY) I'm really slow compared to them, but to alot of people I'm REALLY FUCKING FAST. Or... I talk... slooow. Usually when I'm not sure what I'm saying. D: My other verbal language is German, which is can sorta talk in, but reading is bad, and writing is HORRIBLE. It was my default, but was replaced with English REALLY early on in life. I apparently sound more German when I'm speaking all proper-like, but, I've never heard someone with that accent my age. D: I don't know how I held onto that. emot-confused

When I wake up, I sound like Marilyn Manson, and it generally gets higher throughout the day. (I has allergies when I wake up...) My voice ranges from like... Batman to bursting dog eardrums. D: I enjoy being squeaky. I also call people POOPIEFACES instead of asshole or jerk. ...I also don't say bad words in front my my mommy, cause, she'd totally disown me. D:

#41 | Back to Top05-30-2010 02:17:06 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Adrasteia wrote:

Also, "Buddy dat's sum gay luh!" pops up all over the place. Good times.

What the hell does that mean. emot-rofl

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#42 | Back to Top05-30-2010 05:21:28 PM

Ruggahissy
Ballgoer

I've always found it strange that when my aunt and mother speak I don't really hear an accent but when my friends hear them they'll ask "Where is your mom from?" I guess it's because I've lived my whole life with it. I have no detectable accent (plain old standard English) but there are some words I mispronounced for years as a kid just because my parents couldn't pronounce them (my father is by far the worst offender for mispronuncing words. I mispronounced "Chiptole" until I was 13 because of him and my friends still make fun of me).

In Spanish I'll usually take a second before I say something to make sure in my head all the grammar is correct because when I was a little girl my mother and aunt used to make fun of me when I said something wrong in Spanish emot-frown. My Spanish is pretty standard too, in Argentina people thought I was Mexican. I can sort of fake a Spaniard's accent and if I try I can kind of do an El Salvadorian one too. As Allegoriest mentioned, it is customary to speak as fast as humanly possible. I can do that occasionally but normally only if I'm angry and in that case there's bound to be a grammatical error

Last edited by Ruggahissy (05-30-2010 05:25:34 PM)

#43 | Back to Top05-30-2010 06:20:29 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I unintentionally pronounce the "w" in sword.  emot-tongue

#44 | Back to Top05-30-2010 06:43:56 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

winksniper wrote:

ooh, I do that in the word 'drawing' (comes out 'dro-win'). Not in other words s'much though, bit weird. Occasionally in 'poor' too ('poh-wer'). My gf accused me of being 'proper Yorkshire' last time I did that, lol.
(That's, 'Pro-peh yawk-sher', to you guys ;) ).
  Where you from, WS?

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#45 | Back to Top05-30-2010 07:42:49 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Bluesky wrote:

winksniper wrote:

ooh, I do that in the word 'drawing' (comes out 'dro-win'). Not in other words s'much though, bit weird. Occasionally in 'poor' too ('poh-wer'). My gf accused me of being 'proper Yorkshire' last time I did that, lol.
(That's, 'Pro-peh yawk-sher', to you guys ;) ).
  Where you from, WS?

I have kinda the same thing with "drawing" too, except more like "jrah-ing".
And I'm from Ohio, USA. emot-smile

Last edited by winksniper (05-30-2010 07:43:50 PM)

#46 | Back to Top06-01-2010 03:22:06 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

What little spanish I can speak comes out VERY slowly. To the point that I will only do it around certain family members because I'll either get rediculed mercilessly or in the case of the older ones, be mistaken for being slow. But appearantly my Puerto Rican accent is perfect.

#47 | Back to Top06-01-2010 04:46:58 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

I am so unfamiliar with my speech patterns that I had to call Epee to enlist him for help.

Main Points of Anji-ese
-Accent Assimilation

-People think I'm foreign so much, from a varied amount of countries. British, French, Southern USA (when angry or swearing).

-I speak in noises. I have a thinking noise (da-da-da), frustrasted noise (GRR!), whiny noise (Nasally "neeeeeeeh" noise), disgusted noise (higher whiny noise)

-When I get excited I have perfect diction, with spanish level speed of talking.

-Conversations go mumble,mumble SUPER CLEAR DICTION AND ENUCIATION. I apparently mumble so much in normal conversations that friends often look suprised when they understand me in the first sentence.

-Singsongy speech in general.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#48 | Back to Top06-02-2010 05:37:22 PM

Gabriel Fellsworth
Juri Jeerer

I have the tendency to start speaking either "Bostonian" "New Yorka" or "Joisey" at random intervals.....usually makes me sounds mafia-esque.

Just because I have voices in my head, doesn't mean I am crazy.

#49 | Back to Top06-03-2010 02:55:04 AM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Sometimes for my own amusement I'll mispronounce a word on purpose. I love calling "endorphins" "endolphins" instead. I also picked up "ambluance" instead of ambulance from my friend's eccentric father. This irritates the shit out of people who know me well because I'm a renowned grammar Nazi. I can't think of others off the top of my noggin, but there are quite a few more.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#50 | Back to Top06-03-2010 05:12:44 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Putting pants onto the ends of words.

Yes.

I do this in real-lifepants.

(I also pretty much stole a lot of my online and rl speaking habits from allegoriest and Lady N and a bit from Naji here on IRG.  emot-dance )

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-03-2010 05:14:29 AM)

Board footer