This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-07-2007 10:49:48 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Re: What is LOVE (no...not the song.)

dlaire wrote:

Maybe patriotism is the most noble type of love? It includes sacrifice and passion.

Here, first we should discuss what type of love is noble, or, to put it more distinctly, what we mean when we recognize certain types of love to be nobler than others.
I think it's an adjective rather hard to apply on anything but people. If by noble you mean 'unconditional' --in the sense that it doesn't ask for any feedback (or that's the impression I got)--, then family and homeland directed love can be unconditional/noble. But I do not believe in any nobility that includes sacrifice and passion (beyond XIXth century literature). I believe even less in the compulsoriness of experimenting those for some things that depend on chance. And, to put a cherry on top, 'nobility' is perceived with a positive vibe; does it happen too with unconditional love to family and homeland?

We should love people who deserves it.

Absolutely true, but I like it better as we should not be forced to love people unconditionally.
As a personal take, I would never ask anybody to feel unconditional love. But I do feel it for certain people, because who am I to judge whether someone deserves to be loved or not? And I will be agreeable with anybody who might point out how culturally induced this point of view is.

Maybe we fell in love with pieces of ourselves in different people?

That's beautiful etc-love

It's ridiculous that something real is less important than "too glaring" fiction.

Yes, it is. I'm almost sure Tamago once provided a link for a site under the title 'Reality is so Unreal', or something like that. It didn't mention love, but the distortion is so similar we could blame some of our sentimental malfunctions on it.

#27 | Back to Top09-07-2007 10:50:26 AM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

let me tell you a little story.

there once was a princess who was quite confused with what life was bringing her. she was in love with another girl. they had a wonderful relationship (except she was abusive to her love) one day a boy came along and she wanted him too, but didn't want to break up with her love. she devised a plan...to stay with both and have two relationships at once. for a while that worked out until she thought the boy wanted sex, she dumped him in an instant. it was back to the original pair.

her lover found a man one day and everything changed... "im not gonna take this anymore. im sorry, you should understand." and she was gone.
the princess and the girl are still good friends, but the girl believes the princess still harbors feelings deep inside, of the romance that could never be...

When the two girls hooked up, they were only in 7th grade. the boy came along in 9th...the split was in 10th and the girl left later that year.

sure, you could say that they were mature when it started (besides the abuse i suppose) but then...what happened?

that's so profound an example of immature "love" it stings...  i think i'll come back when i can post something deeper and more relevant. (>_T)

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

#28 | Back to Top09-07-2007 11:32:58 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Asfalolh wrote:

It's ridiculous that something real is less important than "too glaring" fiction.

Yes, it is. I'm almost sure Tamago once provided a link for a site under the title 'Reality is so Unreal', or something like that. It didn't mention love, but the distortion is so similar we could blame some of our sentimental malfunctions on it.

He did!  And another page on the same site discusses the trope of True Love's Kiss.

#29 | Back to Top09-07-2007 11:50:03 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

emot-rofl
We do need some desintoxication.

Thanks for the link, satyreyes. emot-wink

Board footer