This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:24:03 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

Re: New Sailor Moon anime

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Well, what do you expect? SM was mostly a shojo property, as was intended in the manga's case, so the idea of being met with leers from most other men for liking SM is not too farfetched.

But they all have VCR tapes (oh, the nostalgia) of SM, along with the toys/models, only for fetish purposes; that, and they talk endlessly about girlfriend types the different senshis represent; like, where I'm from, it's considered a fetish anime right off the start.
Most of the girls I knew back then actually disliked Usagi, since they saw her generic clumsy exclamation leading to rescue by Tuxedo Mask battles throughout the earlier seasons as being pathetic, saying that real life girls should face their own problems/battles instead of relying on men/stronger friends.

And for your info, mine's an asian area closely following Jap culture.

Then that's not an against-demographic issue, that's probably just those guys acting in superiority for a stupid reason. Likewise, just as how it's considered a "fetish anime" in your area (which, judging by your blogspot's domain ending, is somewhere in Canada, correct?), nowadays those down here in the US that are unfamiliar to the series may see it as the same as those up there do.

Usagi's behavior is a little bit too much sometimes, but in the end she still evolves to such an extent that she is able to defend herself, and her friends, without Tuxedo's help. It's just a way of letting in character development, as Usagi does eventually get better in her ability to fight back without needing help and eventually matures enough that she can and will make rational decisions and not rely on someone to always save her.

gorgeousshutin wrote:

But wasn't Britney Spears already using the mini-skirt schoolgirl look in her MV back when she was young (was it the late nineties)?

Britney Spears didn't use the schoolgirl look until late 1998, whereas SM didn't air until 1995. But at that time, the intent wasn't for sexual reasons, it was just to look cute and fit the idea of using a school as the setting for her video. (Though that's not saying there's wasn't problems with her wearing it when the video aired.)

Last edited by Saito Hoshikawa (07-06-2012 10:35:25 PM)

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#27 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:29:39 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

which, judging by your blogspot's domain ending, is somewhere in Canada, correct?)

Two things: 
1) Blogspot domain can be deceptive
2) Sailor Moon happened a LONG time ago, and people move around the world.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#28 | Back to Top07-06-2012 10:42:35 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

gorgeousshutin wrote:

which, judging by your blogspot's domain ending, is somewhere in Canada, correct?)

Two things: 
1) Blogspot domain can be deceptive
2) Sailor Moon happened a LONG time ago, and people move around the world.

Like I'm supposed to know either of those things with one glance at your profile. /pfft/

Either way, I caught your Britney Spears comment and put it on the other post.

#29 | Back to Top07-07-2012 05:19:03 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

I don't think I'd actually want a SKU reboot/remake. I think one of the compelling things about it, and the reason a lot of us are here still discussing is is because it's so opened ended and interpretive.

Plus, if they did tie everything up, whatever would we have to talk about?! emot-tongue

gorgeousshutin wrote:

I loved SM too from long ago: don't think I'm not excited at this new anime news (Sailor Starlights, yay!).  But from what I understand, it's story finished definitely at the end of the series with little mysteries left - SKU, however, left us with more mysteries to ponder upon post ending, thus is more in need of a sequel (or at least reboot).

OnlyInthislight wrote:

There was very little left unsaid  in SKU, by comparison, that would warrant it a reboot.

According to the SKU Privacy files (thread here: http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=2944), a LOT was left out of the show due to various reasons (censorship, timing):
1) Touga's rape, which gave him the alienated self that made him "stronger than TV Saionji"

Although I know this wasn't why they left it out, I think that actually leaving out Touga's abuse by his step-father was an interesting idea. It meant that we saw the effect of the abuse on his personality and his relationships without understanding the cause-- we're essentially put into the position of Saionji and Nanami, who witnessed this change in Touga without ever figuring out why.

#30 | Back to Top07-07-2012 06:18:58 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Oh yeah, I love the idea of a SKU remake, but I imagine if it was actually done, I might get disappointed, especially if they made it more... accessible and less ambiguous. Which seems likely that it would happen.

As for the Sailor Moon remake, I never actually watched the original show in its entirety (only and episode), but I'll check it out if I get the chance.

#31 | Back to Top07-07-2012 09:00:17 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We're derailing emot-smile  Whether there ought to be a SKU remake or sequel is an interesting question, but it does not belong in this thread.  I hope someone will create a new thread for it over in the SKU subforum!

#32 | Back to Top07-07-2012 11:25:51 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Bless you, sir. etc-love

According to the Miss Dream website, who is currently working on a full translation of the 90-minute special, this is what we know so far:

Summer 2013.

Kotono Mitsuishi and Tohru Furuya are very interested in returning as Usagi and Mamoru.

It will be much closer to the manga, with new animation.

Any rumors you hear about it being a continuation of the old series are due to a mistranslation of Kotono Mitsuishi's blog post.

If anyone can understand Japanese, and feels like sitting through a 90 minute YouTube video, here is the link.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#33 | Back to Top07-07-2012 12:05:47 PM

eri401
Wakaba Wrangler

No no, I don't know where Miss Dream is getting her information and she never cites her sources.  She isn't reliable 100% of the time.

This is a full translation of the famitsu fan coverage:
http://sailormoonlife.tumblr.com/post/2 … ranslation

http://sailormoonlife.tumblr.com/post/2 … ation-also

http://sailormoonlife.tumblr.com/post/2 … ion-update

--
As for the people thinking Sailor Moon depends on Tuxedo Mask, I don't think they actually watched the show.  The entire point of the show and reason it became a global phenomenon is because it is very much about "90s girl power" type stuff through the bildungs of the main character.  Tuxedo Mask is regularly mocked as being useless as the show develops.

It is also completely foolish and bordering on narcissism to imagine that Sailor Moon was designed, in its inception, to appeal to male fans.  It is a bizarre and lazy knee jerk reaction to assume that sexy is automatically anti-feminist or anti-woman.  This presumes that young girls watching the show automatically interpret the show in the same way as these pervs or that the perv reading is somehow the bottom line "true" reading.

In fact, Sailor Moon is an almost completely homosocial universe, with romance being secondary to the main theme of friendship, female bonding, and love in a universal sense. 

The show was successful because it was a very clever product, combined with brilliant merchandising and cute characters in sexy variations of the basic school uniform.  However, it managed to be globally successful and a presence in Japan for 20 years now for reasons far deeper than "omg short skirts hurrr."  This entire thread is insulting.

Anyhow, I think every reboot can be interesting.  The manga, anime, and tv show for Sailor Moon were all variations on the same basic ideas just as SKU's manga, anime, and film are all slightly different.

#34 | Back to Top07-07-2012 01:42:04 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I'd be interested to see how this sequel is treated. Will it be like the original and be fairly nutrient-free, or will it be more serious? Will the senshi go to college and their separate ways, and will it explore how Crystal Tokyo came to be? What are the origins of Prince Diamond and his posse? It's exciting, but I have my reservations beause if IS like the original, I'm fairly certain I will enjoy it far less than I did when I was eight.

eri401 wrote:

News translations

Thank you!

Last edited by Syora (07-07-2012 01:43:44 PM)

#35 | Back to Top07-07-2012 02:03:41 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

eri401 wrote:

No no, I don't know where Miss Dream is getting her information and she never cites her sources.  She isn't reliable 100% of the time.

Fair enough. I'll let everyone else handle any incoming news from now on.

I didn't know about them doing another re-release of the manga, though. This should be interesting.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (07-07-2012 02:04:55 PM)

#36 | Back to Top07-07-2012 03:11:17 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I've actually been buying the re-releases of the manga, and compared to the originals -my GOD, so much better. I don't have any of my old... who was it, Mixx that did the original? so I can't really make any direct comparisons, but from what I remember, these are definitely better quality. I'll be picking up the Sailor V volumes too, since I've never read any of it. I have to admit, I've been noticing all the new merch, but I was assuming that it's because this year  was the 20th anniversary of the anime -and, to be honest, I was assuming that the big announcement would be a re-release in America. Did NOT expect a new series at all. 

I'm going to be EXTREMELY curious to see the direction they take the art in, if they'll use the original styling -which is iconic, but pretty dated- or if they'll go for the more understated style anime seems to have taken lately. I think it would be really neat if they can create some kind of middle ground. I'm desperately looking forward to when they actually start to leak images.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#37 | Back to Top07-07-2012 03:33:23 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I've been buying the re-releases of the manga and it's definitely better than Mixx's version. I only read some of their old translations, but they weren't very good. The new translations are pretty good and I would recommend them. There's a big debate over whether the translations are too literal or not, but I know Miss Dream has translated the entire magna series, so you can compare their translations to Kodansha's translations.

It looks like it's unclear if this anime is a squeal to the original anime or a reboot that more closely follows the events of the manga. (That would be somewhat similar to Dragon Ball Z Kai, except with that series they took a lot of the old animation, remastered it, and then cut out a bunch of filler.)

I am hoping for an anime that more closely follows the manga because the manga differs from the anime in a lot of ways. Some people were discussing Tuexedo Mask saving Sailor Moon all the time. While that does happen in the manga, it doesn't happen as often as it does in the anime. Instead, there is a focus on Usagi and Momoru being a team. I also feel that Momoru was a better developed character and less of a one-dimensional love interest in the manga.

Another thing I like was that Usagi and Momoru learn about each other's identities as Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask a while before all the Serenity and Endymion stuff is revealed. They also start to like each other in a way that isn't just hero-worship and so it feels less like they're a couple Because Destiny Says So.

tl;dr: I hope this new anime adaption more closely follows the manga.

#38 | Back to Top07-08-2012 04:09:51 PM

Varla
Touga Topper
Website

I really hoping with all my might that this isn't going to be the Sailor Moon equivalent to Dragon Ball GT. emot-gonk

*fingers crossed*

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/mekei_004/anime%20and%20cartoons%20and%20whatever%20004/saiLor%20moon%20004/penuranus.gif
The World's a Mess, it's in my Kiss

#39 | Back to Top07-09-2012 05:33:04 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Varla wrote:

I really hoping with all my might that this isn't going to be the Sailor Moon equivalent to Dragon Ball GT. emot-gonk

*fingers crossed*

Oh god, that would be horrible. I hope that that doesn't happen. The only good thing about GT was Trunks in drag.

#40 | Back to Top07-09-2012 06:46:55 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Wait, I'm confused. Is this a remake or a whole new series? emot-confused

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#41 | Back to Top07-09-2012 08:43:01 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Riri-kins wrote:

Wait, I'm confused. Is this a remake or a whole new series? emot-confused

I don't think anyone really knows. I think that it being a remake makes the most sense to me, especially because their were a lot of differences between the manga and anime. Also, the original Sailor Moon anime had quite a bit of filler. But, it could very well be a sequel series about Neo-Queen Serenity.

#42 | Back to Top07-10-2012 06:20:37 PM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

Better-than-totally-boring action scenes and updated animation?  Or new characters and cosmological information?
No matter what, I'm in.

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#43 | Back to Top07-10-2012 07:38:45 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

With a property like Sailor Moon, this was totally inevitable - but it's cool that it's happening now. My only regret is that I will no longer be in Japan for it!

I would be shocked if it was a sequel to the old anime rather than a remake of some sort. The series may be super famous, but no way are they going to start Sailor Moon out in her Eternal fuku with nine to thirteen supporting warriors when they could start from a far more marketable and introductory place, and build a new fan base instead of relying on their old one.

Scoluron wrote:

Better-than-totally-boring action scenes and updated animation?

Yeah, the animation should be a huge jump. The Pretty Cure serieses probably have budgets more or less equivalent to Sailor Moon's, but these days, with computer animation and all, that budget goes a whole lot further in allowing characters to kick monsters in the face.

#44 | Back to Top07-10-2012 10:56:38 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

Dallbun wrote:

With a property like Sailor Moon, this was totally inevitable - but it's cool that it's happening now. My only regret is that I will no longer be in Japan for it!

I would be shocked if it was a sequel to the old anime rather than a remake of some sort. The series may be super famous, but no way are they going to start Sailor Moon out in her Eternal fuku with nine to thirteen supporting warriors when they could start from a far more marketable and introductory place, and build a new fan base instead of relying on their old one.

To be fair, they did say they were aiming for a worldwide release. That can mean broadcast or DVD release, whichever they choose.

SPEAKING OF WORLDWIDE RELEASE, if/when they dub SM this time, who do you think will dub it? My bet's on either Funimation or whatever group did the dubs for Bleach and whatnot?

Last edited by Saito Hoshikawa (07-10-2012 10:56:55 PM)

#45 | Back to Top07-11-2012 08:09:10 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

My money's also on Funimation.

#46 | Back to Top07-11-2012 11:45:32 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I just hope that if this new series gets dubbed, they don't turn Haruka and Michiru into cousins again. I hope that the worldwide simulcast that they're talking about means that the series will be put up on crunchyroll or something like that.

@Dallbun

You're right that marketing-wise, it makes more sense for them just to re-vamp the anime and more closely follow the manga. Dragon Ball GT wasn't a very good series, but it began airing about a week after Dragon Ball Z was finished so it was like an immediate sequel to the series.

The old Sailor Moon anime finished airing in 1996 and so by 2013 it would've been 17 years since the end of the series. So yeah, a lot of people even in Japan probably haven't seen the older series and it would be confusing to just pick up where Sailor Stars ended.

#47 | Back to Top07-11-2012 01:36:48 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How exciting!  I've been buying up the re-releases of the manga.  I always preferred the manga.

Last year I re-watched some of my old VKLL fansubs from pre-dub SM days and it was so nostalgic I CRIED.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#48 | Back to Top10-13-2012 02:04:15 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Nothing about the anime yet, but Kodansha just announced that they're putting out a "new" artbook for the manga.

Considering none of the original six books were ever available in English, this is pretty huge to me.

#49 | Back to Top10-15-2012 09:12:27 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

ALL MY FEELS.

I saw on tumblr about the artbook and the letter from Naoko, so I'm overjoyed. emot-keke emot-keke We've been watching the live action series and lol'ing at every turn. Asdlfhfj I just can not contain my happiness at the return of Sailor Moon.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#50 | Back to Top04-28-2014 11:26:41 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Just in case anyone hasn't been keeping their ear to the ground...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 … ystal-cast

Cast announcement and character designs!

Board footer