This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-13-2014 04:43:47 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Burning Flag: The Pirate Bay is down

A bit of bad news for those who looked to the link above and wanted to grab it and anything else they found:

The Pirate Bay is no more. Swedish authorities have seized their equipment and the site is probably down for good or at least for a long while.

It was a long ride but I gotta say, it's not hard to look back and say 'yeah, it was going to happen sooner or later'.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#2 | Back to Top12-13-2014 06:03:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Burning Flag: The Pirate Bay is down

This isn't the first time TPB has come down. I have faith.

For now though I'll try to set up a couple newer torrents.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top12-16-2014 10:43:56 AM

Yutah
Wakaba Wrangler

We could use Nyaa or some other website? Or upload it to mega.nz and use that.

#4 | Back to Top12-16-2014 05:42:03 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm looking into that, the problem is I don't actually  have the original torrent file. And if I make a new one it'll be different because I've changed files around as I put the Hardcore scans into place.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#5 | Back to Top12-16-2014 10:32:00 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

The situation with Pirate Bay is really interesting to me.  It reflects a contest between two appealing philosophies about the future of the Internet.  The first one, which Anthiena alludes to, is the idea that -- like most frontiers -- the Internet will be tamed and civilized, and the sheriffs will beat the IP rustlers, and illegal file sharing will mostly become a quaint artifact of the Internet's adolescence.  The second one, which Cory Doctorow likes to write about, is the idea that the rustlers are bound to win in the end, because copying zeroes and ones will only ever get easier.  You can take down individual services, whether that's a central server like Napster's or just a BitTorrent index like The Pirate Bay, but you can't shut down or even halt the progress of the copying technologies that enabled those services.  New services, perhaps using different technologies, will just spring up to replace them.  And that's always been true so far, as nutty as a perpetual outlaw Internet sounds.

In some ways, I think the most interesting thing about The Pirate Bay is why it was so unpopular.  Lots of people used it, sure.  I may or may not have downloaded some tracks there myself.  But way more of the tracks on my computer are legal than pirated, and I suspect that's true of most people's music collections.  Why do I buy songs on iTunes when I can download them for free on TPB?  Not because I'm worried about prosecution; charges have very rarely been brought against file sharers, and even more rarely pressed.  And not because I love Apple, heaven knows.  It's because iTunes is pretty easy to use, doesn't rely on seeds, has good metadata, indexes my music for me, and keeps track of my purchased music in the cloud.  Those are great qualities for music software to have, and they're worth paying for.  And if you don't think the nature of iTunes's competition -- pirate sites giving music away for free -- is a critical reason why iTunes has those features, you're crazier than Cory Doctorow.  iTunes is good because it has to compete with free.  I think that TPB has been very good for consumers of music, even the ones who have never used TPB.

You can't explain that to IP owners, of course.  But I really hope The Pirate Bay, or a site like it, comes back up, if only to keep Apple and Netflix and HBO honest.

#6 | Back to Top12-17-2014 12:03:02 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

It seems pretty much universal in the game designing community that piracy will always exist; their main goal is to slow the progression of it long enough to get through the critical period for their sales. One thing they're also acutely aware of is that if you make your anti-piracy technology too difficult or too intrusive people who would have otherwise bought their game will turn to piracy.

This is part of the reason the X-Box One would have been boned if they had gone through with their anti-piracy plans. You'd have to have the Kinect, stay connected to the Internet, and be unable to play your game elsewhere. The minute someone would find a way to work around that system, which they would, you could say buh-bye to your bottom line.

Apparently making anti-piracy too difficult screwed over text-based adventure games a while back. You'd have to have a manual or guide book that would have critical information and prompts written down somewhere and the game would keep telling you to reference specific pages if you wanted to get anywhere. Who on earth wants to deal with that?

I actually like how one company handled piracy. They released their own game for people to pirate, had it play the same (for the most part), and since it was a game about designing and publishing games would lose more money to piracy than if they hadn't pirated the game to begin with (Bonus points for explicitly having a message that tells you this is how piracy affects the industry.)

#7 | Back to Top12-17-2014 11:53:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

-- like most frontiers -- the Internet will be tamed and civilized

I don't disagree with this, but civilization doesn't bring the end of crime, just the development of it. It doesn't go away, it just gets smarter. There will always be ways to download stuff we aren't supposed to. But piracy has existed since the beginning of anything worth copying.

I like the idea that it keeps companies honest, on their toes. iTunes absolutely wouldn't be what it is without needing to compete with entities like TPB. Things like Netflix exist and progress because something had to compete with downloading free in ten minutes*. Piracy killing the movie theater industry? Good. It needs to rethink its business model, because its business model is geriatric. Piracy sucking ass for Gamestop? Good. Let's not even get into video games themselves.

* That's five hours for anyone using the internet in the US. emot-mad

#8 | Back to Top12-18-2014 12:20:16 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Why do I buy songs on iTunes when I can download them for free on TPB?

I've talked about this with a few different people, and it seems to me that the winner is the path of least resistance. For most people, the path of least resistance is to spend money. It's only when you have people who a) consume enough media that money can't be spent on all of it, b) don't have money to spend in the first place, or c) know how torrents etc. work well enough that it is the path of least resistance, that you get a habitual pirate.

Of course, an addition to that theory is that people (including myself) like to believe they're supporting things that are worthwhile, so often times they go back and pay for the things they've illegally acquired. Multiple times, in some cases. *coughhannibalcough*

I'm sad about TPB mainly because in some cases it was the only place I could find a copy-- not even a free copy, I mean any copy-- of certain information and/or entertainment. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that the less piracy we have, the less information we can preserve, and that's something to consider too.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#9 | Back to Top12-18-2014 01:01:35 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Yasha wrote:

Of course, an addition to that theory is that people (including myself) like to believe they're supporting things that are worthwhile, so often times they go back and pay for the things they've illegally acquired. Multiple times, in some cases. *coughhannibalcough*

I'm sad about TPB mainly because in some cases it was the only place I could find a copy-- not even a free copy, I mean any copy-- of certain information and/or entertainment. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that the less piracy we have, the less information we can preserve, and that's something to consider too.

This. I too relied on TPB for media that was simply not available anywhere else. And there are plenty of things I would never have even heard of, let alone bought, if not for piracy. I almost always end up buying something that truly inspires me so that I can support the industry but it may take a while until it becomes at all available if ever.

That is a very interesting point, how piracy becomes something of a collective archive of media information.

#10 | Back to Top12-21-2014 01:26:15 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Nocturnalux wrote:

That is a very interesting point, how piracy becomes something of a collective archive of media information.

Somewhat countered by the fact that most of the media/information that dies out is probably not very good, or is of interest to a very limited audience. Still, I think it's a point that deserves some thought.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#11 | Back to Top12-21-2014 02:19:36 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yasha wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

Somewhat countered by the fact that most of the media/information that dies out is probably not very good, or is of interest to a very limited audience. Still, I think it's a point that deserves some thought.

But all of us are a limited audience sometimes.  You've used the Wayback Machine, or clicked the cached version of a dead or outdated Google hit, and so have I.  And either you or Gio has had the sad experience of pruning a lot of dead outgoing links from Empty Movement.  Librarians who deal with digital archiving face questions about what to preserve a lot, and solutions range from "avoid ephemera and curate your digital collection with the same selectivity as your physical shelves" to "archive all of Twitter because maybe someday it will be important that user @McBumberSnazzle retweeted something Nicki Minaj said, how the fuck should we know?"  The Library of Congress takes the latter approach.  If a future researcher wants to examine how information spreads through social networks, there will always be a petabyte of archived tweets to comb.

The better objection to piracy as an archival method speaks to a different librarianship issue.  BitTorrent is an attractive way of distributing information to guard against its irrecoverable loss.  But how do you catalog information in a system without a central authority?  If you can't catalog it, then no one can find it, which means no one can use it, which means that it has been lost after all.  You can't Google stuff on people's private hard drives.  One approach is to hope that users establish their own central catalog.  I'm optimistic that this would happen, since that's basically what The Pirate Bay was, but plenty of obscure stuff was never on TPB.  And lots more obscure stuff was on TPB, but no one was seeding: information cataloged but missing from the shelf.  Someone may have it, but it's not me, and I'm the one with a thesis to write.  (Or an episode of Oniisama e to watch, or whatever.)

Still, I'm not sure there's a better solution.  The ideal solution, I guess, would be for all media to live in a single The Cloud, and for that The Cloud to be indexed and searchable, but between IP law and the question of who wants to host all the media in the world, I don't see that happening.  For now, I just have to hope that someone will still care about old DOS abandonware enough to distribute it when I'm seventy and decide I want to marathon the entire Leisure Suit Larry series.

#12 | Back to Top12-21-2014 05:56:25 PM

zevrem
Banned

If anyone's still seeding the original magnet link is

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8430a1a218c2ca51ffa8c270a2cb05276158a882&dn=SKU+Gallery&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A

But apparently nobody's seeding, and I had to reinstall my OS a while back and I forgot to reseed.

As for the central indexing issue, that's a problem, but even the biggest file index, at least for now, is going to be like 500 GB, especially if you use magnet links. I mean, Usenet is only 200TB, and that's including the binaries. So even if everyone has to mirror the central core, this is something you could distribute pretty easily.

TPB going down isn't a big deal, any search engine will bring up like 15 other sites if you search "SKU Gallery." The problem isn't the big bad government, in this case, it's the fact that nobody's seeding. The torrent would still be down if TPB were up.

If you still have the files in the same place as before, and you haven't deleted the original torrent, you can still probably just search in the "downloads" section of your browser and just double-click the torrent.

Last edited by zevrem (12-21-2014 07:51:27 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#13 | Back to Top12-22-2014 09:10:31 PM

zevrem
Banned

Yay someone reseeded! So now I get to reseed! Yay!

If anyone else wants to do the same, just copy this into your client.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8430a1a218c2ca51ffa8c270a2cb05276158a882&dn=SKU+Gallery&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#14 | Back to Top12-25-2014 08:29:38 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Much appreciated, zev! I'll see if Gio and I can't figure out how to get this going on our end again.

#15 | Back to Top12-25-2014 09:28:56 PM

zevrem
Banned

Did the magnet link not work? If your client doesn't load from links, use qbittorrent. Then again, another site that mirrors this torrent says that there are 3 leeches even though I'm not currently uploading. So maybe the system doesn't work as well as we'd like.

Last edited by zevrem (12-25-2014 09:32:47 PM)

#16 | Back to Top12-26-2014 02:24:19 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It said it was connected and downloading, but didn't ever receive anything. I figured you were offline and that was why, but I'm only a user and I don't know the ins and outs of torrents. emot-confused

We'll get it sorted out.

#17 | Back to Top12-26-2014 06:05:25 PM

zevrem
Banned

I use a laptop whose cooling system isn't the best, so I turn it off at night. But I went to bed around 1am EST so that couldn't be it... Did you use the magnet link? If you used the actual torrent it might not work without a central tracker, I don't know if the client automatically generates and uses a magnet link if the tracker's down.

Last edited by zevrem (12-26-2014 06:11:28 PM)

#18 | Back to Top12-26-2014 06:15:03 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I did use the magnet link, so that shouldn't be an issue. emot-frown

#19 | Back to Top12-26-2014 06:15:41 PM

zevrem
Banned

Frak.

#20 | Back to Top12-26-2014 06:28:25 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Gio wrote:

The torrent isn't downloading the metadata, which means it's probably not going to get any information at all. The magnet probably doesn't work anymore. We should make a new torrent, but the last time I tried setting one up on my own it didn't work. If anyone wants to try it, I'll upload the newest version of the gallery zip to the site and we can work from there.

Although that probably won't happen tonight, as I'm about to take her to work.

#21 | Back to Top12-28-2014 10:18:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

So I'm working on uploading the gallery as a download and the games as well. Ideally, these would become seeded torrents after a couple people get them. I'd seed them from all my computers; one at least is usually on.

#22 | Back to Top02-01-2015 10:57:30 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Pirate Bay is up again, and fittingly, it now sports of a phoenix logo emot-rofl

#23 | Back to Top02-01-2015 09:42:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Haha, excellent. I'm surprised it took this long, to be honest.

As for gallery, now that it's back I'll work on that. emot-smile

#24 | Back to Top02-10-2015 03:21:57 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

It's seems like it's down again, and KAT seems to be down too.

#25 | Back to Top06-27-2015 01:07:35 PM

Yutah
Wakaba Wrangler

I found this image http://i.imgur.com/d5dSsI3.png of Juri online, and it isn't in the gallery. Is it official?
Also: If you ever rehost it, you should include a fanart section! With all the wallpapers and screensavers that have been made for this series.

Last edited by Yutah (06-27-2015 01:12:49 PM)

Board footer