This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top01-12-2007 02:58:18 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Re: Favorite Couple

Ragnarok wrote:

Wait, the finger was for their hands? I always assumed that guy's ass was important...

Maybe, although I don't see how his ass would be important. Well, or their holding hands, for that matter. So now I'm left wondering about the blinking hand, period.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#52 | Back to Top01-12-2007 05:09:22 PM

Svetlana
New Student
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

In deviantart, it's much more easier to find Utena/Mikage fanart than Mamiya/Mikage fanart emot-mad

u_u lucky you.

But there is no official art with this pair emot-gonk

"Only a fool believes in friendship. - Didn't you know? I am a fool."

{ UTENAMANIA }

#53 | Back to Top01-12-2007 05:25:06 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Straight: Believe it or not, I'm a Saionji/Keiko fan. I think it could totally work. Keiko, who knows that she'll never have Touga in a long term sense, would probably be more than happy with Saionji and give him the unyielding devotion he thinks he needs. Saionji, at the same time, will probably be resistant at first to the idea of being with someone he probably considers a low-level minion at best. Then she'll grow on him. But if you just want etc-wankgirl, I vote for Kozue with either Touga or Akio....or both.

Lesbian: Put Kozue with anyone, it's automatically interesting, I think. She's a bit of an X-factor, you don't really know what she's going to do or how she's going to react to certain situations. It's a chemistry experiment, mix Kozue with other characters and see what kind of reaction it yields. My personal favorite is Kozue/Anthy. Agian, if we're thinking serious relationship, I'd go with Utena/Anthy.

Yaoi: Akio and anyone who'll say yes. Actually...I kinda want to see him seduce Miki. school-devil  He'd never be the same.

Incest: Akio/Anthy, no question.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#54 | Back to Top01-12-2007 06:23:08 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Shockingly, I've never really thought about this o.O I'm not much of a fan of "pairings" at all in any series I watch, so it's not something I give much thought to. Hmm...

Straight: I like Touga/Utena. Please don't hate me. XD I am also a closet fan of Saionji/Wakaba, I suppose.
Gay: Mikage/Mamiya. I think Mikage/Miki would be interesting too.
Lesbian: I don't think I have one here...

Do we have a crackpairing category? Because I would like to see some Saionji/Nanami fics. school-devil

#55 | Back to Top01-12-2007 06:49:20 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

Wait, the finger was for their hands? I always assumed that guy's ass was important...

Maybe, although I don't see how his ass would be important. Well, or their holding hands, for that matter. So now I'm left wondering about the blinking hand, period.

I could give a long and involved explanation for that one, but suffice it to say the blinking hand is a rather interesting representation of the focus of Nemuro's perception; at that point Tokiko and Mamiya have opened up his mind to the intricacies of human relationships, because Nemuro himself is feeling those bonds develop (with Tokiko, because he is falling in love with her, and with Mamiya, as a sort of brother and/or child). If you follow the blinking hand around it points at a lot of things that are echoing the sentiment of emotional connections; the cat family is a prime example. There are a lot of others, but I can't remember them offhand. I wrote an essay about it once...if you're really interested I'll go find a link to it.

But! ...I guess I better do something on-topic...

Straight Couple: Ruka x Juri, Saionji x Nanami (I don't know, the dynamics of both just strike me as fascinating...particularly the latter. I'm with Ger, I would love to see more fic about them...)
Gay Couple: Touga x Saionji (It's just so damned fucked up! I love it! ...I would also put Mikage/Mamiya here too, but it kind of takes away the aspects of Mamiya I find interesting (I am most interested in the real Mamiya, rather than Anthy!Mamiya.). But then again, I occasionally desperately trawl the net for Mamiya/Mikage, so...)
Lesbian Couple: Shiori x Kozue (I'm not particularly fond of Shiori as a character, but this pairing is cracktastic. Besides, I'm one of the few fans of the show who prefers to see the Anthy/Utena thing as being relatively platonic. Don't hurt me! emot-gonk)
Incest Couple: Anthy/Akio (Oh, the power plays! Oh, the emotional blackmail! Oh, the HOT DAMN SEX! ...I'm in there.)
Number One: ...I don't really have one, really. To be honest, if it's hot or funny or clever or well-written, I'm totally all over ANY pairing. I love this show. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Clarice (01-12-2007 06:50:20 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#56 | Back to Top01-12-2007 07:59:21 PM

A Day Without Me

Clarice, I would love to read your essay if you can provide a link.

Also, I am in the same camp with you in regards to Utena and Anthy emot-smile I love them as very dear friends, not lovers.

#57 | Back to Top01-12-2007 08:21:31 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I've only seen up to episode seven and can't wait to see the rest, but I think that I've done enough reading to post my favourite couples. Here goes...

Straight Couple: Miki/Nanami, if it's written well enough. There's a fanfic out there that did this pairing justice; I believe it was titled Eyes Wide Shut on Fanfiction.Net.

Lesbian Couple: Juri/Shiori, just for the shock factor alone. Those two have some serious issues to work out, and there would be very angry sex in the midst of it.

Yaoi Couple: Heh, this one's hard. I'd have to say Akio/Saionji, because everybody knows already that Touga pays a very steep price for the power he wields...

Incest Couple: Akio/Anthy, hands down. The levels of manipulation beyond just the sexual are simply mind-boggling. Not to say worthy of serious interpretation and dissection, of course.

Favourite Couple: I hate to say it, but Utena/Anthy. I read an interesting fanfiction in which Utena and Anthy raise some interesting twins... The title is Kagayaku Means to Shine, again on Fanfiction.Net.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#58 | Back to Top01-13-2007 06:57:46 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Clarice, I would love to read your essay if you can provide a link.

Also, I am in the same camp with you in regards to Utena and Anthy emot-smile I love them as very dear friends, not lovers.

Heh, I just linked to it in the Nemuro/Mikage/Mamiya thread you started; the actual essay is about more than just those symbols, but it all fits together in the end. (I hope!)

And yes, I just...although Anthy/Utena is a very interesting pairing with fascinating dynamics, I think the reason I didn't like the movie as much as the series is because it sexualised the relationship TOO much for me. I always liked the idea that Utena was saving Anthy because of something more than just a prince/princess thing, but...er, that's a long rant. And a kind of hypocritical of me anyway, because as I said above I'll read any pairing if someone does it justice. Whee! etc-wankgirl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#59 | Back to Top01-13-2007 12:14:12 PM

puella_nerdii
Miki Molester

Frau Eva wrote:

Utena/Anthy. I need conflict, people. They're absolutely beautiful in the series, but that magic is simply gone when they're portrayed too schmoopy in fanfic. emot-frown

WORD. A thousand times WORD. Is it too much to ask for some lovely dysfunctional stuff? ...maybe with Anthy taking advantage of Utena for once instead of the other way around?

#60 | Back to Top01-13-2007 12:57:59 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

puella_nerdii wrote:

...maybe with Anthy taking advantage of Utena for once instead of the other way around?

Are you referring to fanfics? That's how it always goes in the series.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#61 | Back to Top01-13-2007 06:26:41 PM

puella_nerdii
Miki Molester

Ragnarok wrote:

puella_nerdii wrote:

...maybe with Anthy taking advantage of Utena for once instead of the other way around?

Are you referring to fanfics? That's how it always goes in the series.

I am indeed referring to fanfics, because it NEVER seems to go the way that it does on the show in fic. Woe.

#62 | Back to Top01-13-2007 06:57:33 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

That's... weird. I can't even picture Utena doing that.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#63 | Back to Top01-13-2007 07:22:49 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I can imagine sweet, innocent Wakaba being like that thou for some strange reason... for what reason I cannot say.

#64 | Back to Top01-13-2007 08:13:15 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

But who of us is to say they truly know what drives a character to do things out of character? I could be the sweetest person on the board and a total asshole in real life. You just never know what a human will do in a situation...it's because we're all human.

I could be talking out my ass, though.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#65 | Back to Top01-13-2007 08:39:06 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

It's true that people do things completely out of charecter, but normally it only goes so far.
No matter how hard a snake tries to be a butterfly, it's still a snake, and vice versa; it's very hard to change one's core, and a fanfic should reflect that core, at least I think so.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#66 | Back to Top01-13-2007 08:51:14 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Iris wrote:

It's true that people do things completely out of charecter, but normally it only goes so far.
No matter how hard a snake tries to be a butterfly, it's still a snake, and vice versa; it's very hard to change one's core, and a fanfic should reflect that core, at least I think so.

Then at her core, who is Anthy, really? Is the Anthy we see at the end of the series the butterfly emerging from her cocoon or simply a snake shedding her skin? Or is there not enough information to tell? If there's a topic on this already and I missed it, let me know.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#67 | Back to Top01-13-2007 09:07:32 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Who exactly is Anthy?

A part of me believes that Anthy is a Nanamiish sort of girl who got way too much into wicca at somw point, discovered some real magic which both got what she wanted (Akio) and cursed her to suffer for her misuse of magic who then buried a part of herself thereby making it easier for Akio to seize control and contrived to gain back not only a part of himself but also some of the magic that Anthy got her hands on so he can gain the power to change his world exactly the way he wants it to. etc-loveetc-love

#68 | Back to Top01-14-2007 09:15:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Is the Anthy we see at the end of the series the butterfly emerging from her cocoon or simply a snake shedding her skin?

Oh wow, that's a fascinating way to pose the question. There has been no thread on that subject specifically...

We kinda get left with the impression Anthy is all shiny happy people after she leaves Akio, but it seems kinda unlikely after centuries of living one way that she can just drop it like a brick, nevermind that Anthy wasn't exactly an angel in the first place. I always felt her saving Dios was a fairly noble act done for the wrong reasons and done viciously. What kind of person could she possibly be after she leaves? I tend to side with the snake shedding her skin, but then I'm a big fan of Akio and Anthy and it has a lot to do with my opinion that they're on more even keel than most people give Anthy credit for. emot-keke

Here's as good a place as any to post this: GIOVANNA SHOULD NEVER WATCH WAKABA'S DUEL EPISODES WHEN SHE'S SAD AND LIABLE TO START CRYING HALFWAY THROUGH THE SECOND EPISODE. NEVERMIND IT WAS ON MUTE AND SHE WAS 'DISTRACTED' WITH CAPPING.

'This is...enough for me.' <-Just tear my heart out and devour it why don't you. emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown I'm not even really a Saionji/Wakaba shipper and this episode still just kills me. Wakaba's screaming during her duel about people walking all over everyone else cuts right to the core, and poor Saionji spends all this time feet away from a girl that would jump through hoops to make him happy and he's just nowhere near ready to accept it yet. emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#69 | Back to Top01-14-2007 09:48:04 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Straight couple: Juri/Miki. I like their dynamics. I like how Miki is what Juri sees in Shiori, minus the evil bitch from hell part. I like the idea of them starting a relationship the isn't too full of jealousy and lies and hatred. They both deserve it.
Gay couple: Touga/Saionji. Their dialogues [especially on the bike] are just awesome, and their relationship is interesting. It's pretty obviously there on Saionji's part, at least.
Lesbian couple: UTENA/ANTHY. Favorite pairing, not only in the series but in any anime I've ever watched. It's just there even though they never do anything that shouts out "OMG LESBIANS YAY" [well... maybe except episode 3], their relationship is so gentle and cruel and complicated and gives me warm fuzzies while making me want to scream at the computer screen at the same time and I JUST LOVE THEM.
Incest couple: I like the way incest's done in the series, but I don't actually support any of the pairings.

Giovanna wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Is the Anthy we see at the end of the series the butterfly emerging from her cocoon or simply a snake shedding her skin?

Oh wow, that's a fascinating way to pose the question. There has been no thread on that subject specifically...

We kinda get left with the impression Anthy is all shiny happy people after she leaves Akio, but it seems kinda unlikely after centuries of living one way that she can just drop it like a brick, nevermind that Anthy wasn't exactly an angel in the first place. I always felt her saving Dios was a fairly noble act done for the wrong reasons and done viciously. What kind of person could she possibly be after she leaves? I tend to side with the snake shedding her skin, but then I'm a big fan of Akio and Anthy and it has a lot to do with my opinion that they're on more even keel than most people give Anthy credit for. emot-keke

I disagree. If Anthy was merely "shedding her skin", so Utena's purpose, her revolution, wasn't really worth anything. Even Ikuhara isn't that cru-- okay, he is, but I still have a hard time seeing it that way.

Last edited by Hina the Prince (01-14-2007 09:52:24 AM)

#70 | Back to Top01-14-2007 10:03:57 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

EXPERIMENT:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4006/yey3ge4.jpg
Mikage's weakness to the moribund ones and a random conversation with a friend, forced me to do this emot-gonk

#71 | Back to Top01-14-2007 10:09:07 AM

A Day Without Me

Dear Epi_lepsia,

That is hysterical, amazing, and I love you. Thank you for this early afternoon (well, in my timezone) amusement.

Love,
                                       A Day Without Me

#72 | Back to Top01-14-2007 10:18:56 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Svetlana wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

In deviantart, it's much more easier to find Utena/Mikage fanart than Mamiya/Mikage fanart emot-mad

u_u lucky you.

But there is no official art with this pair emot-gonk

Don't complain, there's no fanart and much less oficial art for Miki x Mikage 8D!

A Day Without Me wrote:

Thank you for this early afternoon (well, in my timezone) amusement.

I love you too etc-love

#73 | Back to Top02-13-2007 07:53:30 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Late response, but here!:

Guy/girl: Juri/Ruka. (Never gonna happen, but I'm still a sucker for this pairing.) Tatsuya/Wakaba. (Did I spell his name right? The Onion Prince. Those two are so adorable.)

Guy/Guy: Touga/Saionji. Full of so much jealousy, resentment, and power-playing, yet still with enough friendship to keep me happy. Plus, the idea of Touga who's slept with so many girls, only really "loving" his male best friend is just too awesome to me.

Girl/Girl: Utena/Anthy. etc-love

Incest: Miki/Kozue. The dynamics of Akio/Anthy also interest me, although I don't support the pairing in "the long run".  Miki/Kozue reminds me very much of super ego/id, and I feel like they complete each other in a twisted way.

Favourite: Utena/Anthy, hands down. etc-love This pairing is full of so much complexity. It can be either twisted or sweet and fluffy. (Although, this pairing does confuse the hell out of me sometimes.)

Other pairings that I haven't seen much of, but intrigue me: Shiori/Kozue, Juri/Miki, Akio/Kozue.

As for how far Anthy has changed at the end: This is the very reason why the Utena/Anthy pairing confuses me so much. Because Utena is just so sweet and innocent, that I can't see the pairing working out the way I like it if Anthy hasn't changed her manipulative ways. Yet on the other hand, a suddenly supper happy fluffy Anthy doesn't sound right to me. I guess I look for a balance. And also that Utena matures a little too, and becomes a little less oblivious to balance things out.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (02-13-2007 07:54:50 PM)

#74 | Back to Top02-13-2007 09:34:57 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Incest: Miki/Kozue. The dynamics of Akio/Anthy also interest me, although I don't support the pairing in "the long run".  Miki/Kozue reminds me very much of super ego/id, and I feel like they complete each other in a twisted way.

lol complete eachother =3
they ARE twins, after all

I find this funny XD

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#75 | Back to Top02-14-2007 02:30:40 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Straight couple: Miki and Juri
Comfortable around eachother, open and honest, I love it. I don't see it actually happening in the context of the series, but whatever.

Gay couple: Touga and Saionji
Saionji was a Rose Bride for him. need I say more? No dress though...a thousand fangirls must have screamed over that one. emot-gonk

Lesbian couple: The Shadow Girls, why not?
Just cuzz. emot-dance

Incest couple: Nanami and Touga
I like Miki and Kozue as twins, not as lovers. Yaa, I know, the shame. Nanami and Touga deserve each other. school-devil

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

Board footer