This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-21-2006 08:26:02 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Utena Fanfiction Repository and the unfortunate lack thereof

So, you know what doesn't exist anymore? The Utena Fanfiction Repository, which changed hands at some point and then later shut down. This is not a good thing, in my opinion. While many of the wonderful works hosted on that site (say, Alan Harnum's Utena fanfics) are hosted elsewhere online; and some (such as Jon Carp's works) are stashed away in obscurity on fanfiction.net, I think the fandom is hurt by the loss of its centralized archive, especially since some of the fanfics aren't available anywhere now. emot-frown

So... Giovanna and Yasha... you already have the definitive Utena fansite... and I have a copy of the late UFR... emot-dance What do you think about expanding your fanfiction section into a sub-site? It's just a bunch of text files, after all - surely it can't maim your server that much.

Anyone else of the same opinion?

#2 | Back to Top10-21-2006 08:32:13 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Re: Utena Fanfiction Repository and the unfortunate lack thereof

I second that opinion!

Yes, yes indeed... but as long as it contains some good ol' slash!

You can't have a G-rated Utena fanfic page... somehow and somewhere, Akio's penis will get in the way... *nodnodnod*

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#3 | Back to Top10-21-2006 08:39:23 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

hyacinth_black wrote:

I second that opinion!

You can't have a G-rated Utena fanfic page... somehow and somewhere, Akio's penis will get in the way... *nodnodnod*

If there exists a G-Rated fic site for this show, I'd like to know how many seconds of the edited series would actually make it into the G-Rated video release. ^___^;;

BTW, off-topic -- is that Jhonen Vasquez?

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#4 | Back to Top10-21-2006 08:42:15 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Clarice wrote:

If there exists a G-Rated fic site for this show, I'd like to know how many seconds of the edited series would actually make it into the G-Rated video release. ^___^;;

BTW, off-topic -- is that Jhonen Vasquez?

That's a good question...

Yes... yes it is Jhonen... he is my one true love... I WANT HIM!!!!! *glompage*

#5 | Back to Top10-21-2006 08:55:37 PM

Dallbun

hyacinth_black wrote:

I second that opinion!

Don't worry, the old UFR had a lemon section. emot-smile

#6 | Back to Top10-21-2006 09:01:19 PM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

YOOOOSH!!!

Now I put my full support behind the re-bringing-upping of this whole UFR thing!

emot-confused that sentence made no sense...

#7 | Back to Top10-21-2006 09:02:50 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

I don't think it did in its brief reincarnation under Lady Brick. But yes, I think the original did.

Laurie

#8 | Back to Top10-21-2006 09:08:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I will think about it. Haven't polled Gio for her opinion yet, but I see no reason not to accept it as an archive/subsite. After all, we've already gotten Chris Rain's permission to archive/make a subsite of the MST's emot-dance

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#9 | Back to Top10-21-2006 10:29:14 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Yasha wrote:

I will think about it. Haven't polled Gio for her opinion yet, but I see no reason not to accept it as an archive/subsite. After all, we've already gotten Chris Rain's permission to archive/make a subsite of the MST's emot-dance

Ooooooooh, sweet-o.

Oh, before I forget, any chance of there being a ULE archive, too?

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#10 | Back to Top10-21-2006 11:04:47 PM

Dallbun

Yasha wrote:

Nifty! Chris Rain was my MSTing inspiration! emot-smile But his site is still online, isn't it? And as it happens, his MSTings (except the tenth) used to be on the UFR anyway...

If you guys are concerned with permission, all the UFR authors' (admittedly years old) e-mail addresses were on the site; you could send out a blanket e-mail saying you're putting the UFR back up. If you don't get responses from some, then eh... they all posted their works, and it's not as though their fanfics were taken off the web at their request.

#11 | Back to Top10-21-2006 11:06:23 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Truth be told I've been mulling over this for a while in my head, but I didn't know it'd gone down. The UFR and Chris Rain's MST site are both sites I would be very willing, no, proud to host at Empty Movement. Being both efforts done by other webmasters, I would prefer not to encorporate them into my site, but rather gain permission from the original owners to host on the domain, as I'm hosting a couple other sites. So many SKU sites have disappeared, and those two are classics, I'd love to see them preserved for future generations, as it were. emot-wink (You haven't lived, cried, or wanted to rip your eyes out until you've read the MSTing of The Observatory of Forbidden Pleasures, which as you can imagine, is about Tsuwabuki going on a camping trip.)

Who was the last person in charge of the UFR? I would like, if possible, to contact them and offer to host the site as a subdomain (ufr.ohtori.nu or something). Since we have Chris Rain's already, I'll need to be getting that show on the road. emot-smile I would really, really prefer to get permission from someone that had at some point 'legal' permission, although if contacting them proves totally impossible, I may consider stealing it. (As I did with the scripts, although in this case I would host the original site.) If I can't get the webmasters by any means, I would justify it again for the sake of preserving the material; the UFR was a cornerstone, and I'd hate to see newer fans miss out on it and the older ones not being able to go back and enjoy.

Dallbun, do you have a full archive, including the html and images? Is it of the UFR with the naughty bits? (Because I would really prefer to get the whole thing. Especially the naughty bits.) Need to know what you've got there. If not, anyone that has the original addresses feel like seeing if they can beat the Wayback Machine into spitting out the code and images? I'd like to try for a true archive, if I'm going to host it.

onsenmark, was there ever a site created for it? I don't recall...

Edit: Oh, so you've got the code with their e-mail addresses and such?

Also I stumbled on this while searching around. http://www.fanhistory.com/index.php?tit … Girl_Utena emot-redface Even mentions when we update! (Although they're off by two years about when I opened the site, it was in 2000, I got it its own domain in 2002. emot-mad)

Last edited by Giovanna (10-21-2006 11:10:27 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#12 | Back to Top10-21-2006 11:12:25 PM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

Dallbun, do you have a full archive, including the html and images? Is it of the UFR with the naughty bits? (Because I would really prefer to get the whole thing. Especially the naughty bits.) Need to know what you've got there. If not, anyone that has the original addresses feel like seeing if they can beat the Wayback Machine into spitting out the code and images? I'd like to try for a true archive, if I'm going to host it.

Edit: Oh, so you've got the code with their e-mail addresses and such?

The copy I have is from when the UFR was hosted on www.thekeep.org and maintained by Alan Harnum. It was last updated on September 29th, 2001. I have the whole thing: html, warts, Lemon Section, and all. Except with no warts.

Apparently Lady Brick was the one who hosted the site during its incarnation at http://www.mindeclipse.com/UFR/. I'll go ahead and give the wayback machine a shot to get whatever updates Lady Brick added while she had the site.

#13 | Back to Top10-21-2006 11:25:05 PM

Dallbun

Ouch. Apparently there were rather more updates when the site was under Lady Brick than I remember; and also, the Lemon section of the old site was very, very small, at least with the copy I have. It looks like you might need to rely on good old Wayback for your working copy of the UFR, after all.

However, all the content is apparently intact, if not all the images. I'll get everything I can of the last available copy.

#14 | Back to Top10-21-2006 11:31:07 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

If you've got the original html and code, and the stuff added after 2001 can be dragged out of the Wayback Machine, then I'd be happy to reassemble it myself. Basically I'd like to get everything that was ever part of UFR, including the lemons, and including the last story added. A Platinum Edition, if you will.

How big is the site you've got there? Under 10MB, I suspect. If so, zip it up and e-mail it to me? I'd like to see what I'm getting into here, heh.

I'm guessing what I'll get from you is more or less a framework; sounds like I'm going to have a lot of work to do on the Wayback Machine, if I can't get a hold of Lady Brick to get the whole shebang from her.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#15 | Back to Top10-21-2006 11:39:11 PM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

How big is the site you've got there? Under 10MB, I suspect. If so, zip it up and e-mail it to me? I'd like to see what I'm getting into here, heh.

Done and done (and done). Good luck!

#16 | Back to Top10-22-2006 12:37:02 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

i remember that site back when i had a quest to read as much utena fanfiction as possible

though i remeber i had one problem with the site as i do many..is that if there is no summery of the story out line i usually just skip most of it x_x so yeah

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#17 | Back to Top10-22-2006 06:12:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Okay, I dug up as many e-mail addresses for both Alan Harnum and Lady Brick as I could and sent out an e-mail asking for permisison and a copy of the site. I'll give them a week or so and see if I get a response, and we'll see what happens from there.

Now I really regret not trying to do this before the site went down, but I feel like an ass contacting people like HAY GIMMIE YOUR SITE. It's not like that at all. emot-frown

#18 | Back to Top10-22-2006 07:07:56 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

WOWOWOWOWOW UPDATE

I already got a reply from Lady Brick, and she's working with me to get a full copy of the site as she hosted it just before it went down. This is gonna fly, with minimal hair-pulling on Giovanna's part for once! If everything goes well, you guys can expect a full archive on ohtori.nu within a week or so. I just need to get a hold of the naughty fics not included in Dallbun's archive and Lady Brick's permission to encorporate them into her design of the site or something to that effect.

Let's dance!
emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance etc-wankgirl

#19 | Back to Top10-22-2006 07:39:07 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Not that I recall, but it should be too hard to surf Google Groups for any relevant posts. Or you could always post to a.f.u and see if there's any sort of interest in a ULE archive.

#20 | Back to Top10-22-2006 07:40:24 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

WOWOWOWOWOW UPDATE

I already got a reply from Lady Brick, and she's working with me to get a full copy of the site as she hosted it just before it went down. This is gonna fly, with minimal hair-pulling on Giovanna's part for once! If everything goes well, you guys can expect a full archive on ohtori.nu within a week or so. I just need to get a hold of the naughty fics not included in Dallbun's archive and Lady Brick's permission to encorporate them into her design of the site or something to that effect.

Let's dance!
emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance etc-wankgirl

F**KWIN. emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

#21 | Back to Top10-22-2006 10:02:51 PM

Sephigirl
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Re: ULE fics - If they cannot be found - I saved all of them as .docs or on yahoo acct - YEARS on back.  So, it all else fails . . .

~Katherine

Only the broody ones need apply.

#22 | Back to Top10-22-2006 10:13:41 PM

Dallbun

Giovanna wrote:

I just need to get a hold of the naughty fics not included in Dallbun's archive and Lady Brick's permission to encorporate them into her design of the site or something to that effect.

Wahoo! Revival Record of the UFR Sofia! cool

And, um... I just checked the Wayback Machine, Giovanna, and it would appear that the lemons contained in the copy of the UFR that I sent you were in fact all the lemons ever hosted on the UFR. That seems a little bit incredible given that this is Utena fandom we're talking about, but there you have it. Once Lady Brick sends you a copy of her last version, you have the whole kit and kaboodle.

Of the UFR, that is - I think plumbing the depths of the ULE sounds like a worthy cause as well. Although I have no idea what the ULE is.

#23 | Back to Top10-22-2006 10:40:11 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

The only qualm I have about the ULE is... Okay, they were lemons, yes, but were they any good? I had to get Gio to explain what the ULE was, so I'm guessing that mostly they weren't terribly remarkable. I usually hear about the good stuff one way or another. Maybe we could keep them as text files in a zip or something?

We're already pretty committed with the Satellite and UFR. I hate to come off as a bitch, but we can't extend ourselves to everything-- if someone else is willing to make a webpage for the ULE, it'd be no problem for us to host it, but since it never had one in the first place we'd have to build one from scratch and we don't have the time for it. You saw how long it took us to get the new site info and Akio shrine in.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned... I have enough on my plate with the fanfics and wallpapers and analysis and all of that, I don't know the quality of this stuff, and I don't have a whole lot of time to invest in it, especially not if the quality is unknown.

What would you guys be willing to take as far as ULE? The site is our baby, but it would be pointless without all of you. Let me know what you all think, and we'll see what we can work out.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#24 | Back to Top10-22-2006 10:47:27 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

I would dearly love to see the UFR back up, with everything that was in it before, plus start accepting fic submissions again. I hate to think of all the good fics that have been misplaced over the years just because there was no centralized archive for everything. I know for a fact that the former girls of Technomancy had at least 2 of their jamais vu fics (my favorite Utena series) that were never posted on there, just because no one was maintaining it for so long.

Yasha, if you or Gio need help with anything regarding any archiving or fic sorting, you know where to find me. ^O^v I believe most of us would be willing to help with that, in one way or another!

#25 | Back to Top10-22-2006 10:57:28 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I don't know if I can accept fic submissions to the UFR, exactly... We have our own fanfic page, and it is active now, but the way I was thinking of the UFR is that it would be an archive-- a part of the history of the fandom. That doesn't mean that stories won't get accepted or read, but having to make the distinction between submissions to EM and submissions to UFR, with their own assorted sets of rules, and the possibility of people not getting into one and trying for the other...

It makes my head hurt, precious. I'm only one person, and this isn't all of my life.

I can promise you one thing-- that if an EM fanfic is related to a UFR fanfic, they'll be crosslinked. It would be stupid not to. And any submissions can be sent to EM, even if they continue from UFR fics.

Of course, this isn't firm, it's my kneejerk reaction to having to run two fanfic sites emot-gonk

I love you guys but emot-gonk

Board footer