This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-07-2007 05:26:25 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Movies

Hey... did we have a movie topic?

Uh, if so, I can delete this... if not... WOO! Movies!

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#2 | Back to Top02-07-2007 06:58:41 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Movies

I'm totally watching Hannibal right now. cool

While I scan pictures of movie Akio.

Who needs to be told to peel off his face. school-chef

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top02-07-2007 07:12:42 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

So....Gio's basically having an orgasm party then?

...Or a virtual threesome, maybe?

I like anything with Bogie, Hepburn (either) and Grant. Big old movie buff. Royal Tenenbaums too. I'll post a list when I'm not so lazy. emot-smile

Last edited by morosemocha (02-07-2007 07:13:50 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#4 | Back to Top02-07-2007 07:29:05 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I compiled sort of a list of my favorites, so I'll share it here.  They all have different reasons for being among my favorite films, but what they all share is that I etc-loves them all!

All-Time Favorite Movie Ever
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
This has been my favorite movie since I was a kid and saw it on TV in the 80s, and I have yet to see a film that tops it for me, so, it's literally my alltime favorite film.

More favorites, alphabetically:
Back To The Future (the whole trilogy, really)
Big Fish
A Christmas Story
Edward Scissorhands
Fantasia
The Goonies
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
Jurassic Park
The King and I
Labyrinth (oh yes!)
Léon (version intégrale, of course)
Lilo & Stitch
The Lord of the Rings (the whole trilogy, but especially Fellowship)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Moulin Rouge
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Spaceballs
Star Wars (the whole saga, but especially Episodes III and VI -- so sue me, I enjoyed the prequels for the most part emot-tongue )
War of the Worlds (the 2005 Spielberg version)
Whale Rider
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#5 | Back to Top02-08-2007 09:32:43 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Seconded, i like all the list of above, but i will add some more:

Ma vie en Rose.
The meaning of the Life (Monty Pythons)
The cube 8D!
Babel
Amores Perros
Trainspotting

#6 | Back to Top02-09-2007 08:53:47 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

HANNIBAL RISING COMES OUT IN THE STATES TODAY. emot-danceetc-wankdudeetc-wankgirlemot-danceetc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

#7 | Back to Top02-09-2007 08:56:33 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Please post a review when you go see it. The ads are convincing me it's a steaming pile of poopy but oh sweet jesus do I want to fuck the guy playing Hannibal. etc-wankgirl

And it's hard to tell from the ads, which kinda show as little as possible, but it almost seems at moments like he's doing a very impressive job with the character, though he might be slightly overdoing the mode of speech. Still... etc-wankgirl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top02-09-2007 09:03:58 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I'm currently trying to speed-finish the book before this evening, so will do.

Did I see a glimpse of young Hannibal fucking Gong Li? Oh, HELL yes. emot-dance

#9 | Back to Top02-09-2007 09:18:43 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh god, I'm almost shallow enough to be sold on that.

#10 | Back to Top02-09-2007 09:33:32 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

Oh god, I'm almost shallow enough to be sold on that.

...I'm totally shallow enough to be sold on that!

HUZZAH!

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#11 | Back to Top02-09-2007 12:51:36 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

My favourite movie is Fight Club, hands down. Other favourites:

BASEketball (Just...don't ask.)
Zoolander (...also...don't ask...)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Aladdin
Pulp Fiction
The Princess Bride
Bernard and the Genie
Labyrinth
Blade Runner
Heavenly Creatures
The Silence of the Lambs
Braindead
Shaun of the Dead
Amelié
The World's Fastest Indian (Although much as I love Anthony Hopkins, he can't...quite...do my accent right, emot-wink)
The Prestige

As you can possibly guess, I have...odd tastes, at the best of times. emot-dance I love movies, though. I'm currently watching my flatmate's copy of Dead Man's Chest because although as a movie it's absolutely fucking incoherent, IT HAS JACK DAVENPORT AND HE IS SEX OH YES.

Although someone mentioned John Barrowman in other thread I was just reading, so I guess it's Doctor Who for me tonight. etc-wankgirl

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

The Goonies
Jurassic Park
The Lord of the Rings (the whole trilogy, but especially Fellowship)
Moulin Rouge
Whale Rider
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Hee, I am totally with you on the Goonies. I was watching that the other night when I was feeling nostalgic. emot-biggrin I also have a guilty liking for the dinosaurs and the courtesans...although not necesarily in the same flick. (Hmm...now THERE'S an idea...) Also, who here couldn't possibly love Rocky Horror? school-devil I also have a fondness for LotR and Whale Rider, although I have to admit it's more out of a kind of homesickness than anything else. I can't watch LotR while living in England, it makes me too homesick. emot-gonk

As for the last, while I ADORE Gene Wilder in that movie and make the effort to watch it at least once a year -- particularly around Easter -- my favourite thing about that movie has to be the hysterical spoof done of it on Family Guy, in the episode "Wasted Talent." Best thing EVER.

Last edited by Clarice (02-09-2007 12:57:50 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#12 | Back to Top02-09-2007 01:10:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

My favourite movie is Fight Club, hands down.

God damn awesome movie. cool I must admit, when Brad Pitt's riding the bike around the house and he trips and flings himself into the air, I skip backwards to watch it again, for some reason it's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Clarice wrote:

(Although much as I love Anthony Hopkins, he can't...quite...do my accent right, emot-wink)

He makes up for it with the almost never blinking when he's playing Hannibal. etc-love I can't hold the accent against him, he tries, and he maintains it the movie through so you don't really notice it's a bit odd sounding after a while. Some things just don't agree with peoples' voices. Like Jeremy Irons trying to sound American. Or Keanu Reeves trying to act.

(Yes, mention accents and I will bring up Keanu Reeves. What the fuck was that 'Southern accent' thing he was doing in Devil's Advocate oh god make it stop please)

Clarice wrote:

Also, who here couldn't possibly love Rocky Horror? school-devil

Hi. emot-smile The irrational, raging hatred of a thousand suns is directed by me toward that movie. emot-keke

However, I love Family Guy. etc-love

#13 | Back to Top02-09-2007 01:32:54 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

God damn awesome movie. cool I must admit, when Brad Pitt's riding the bike around the house and he trips and flings himself into the air, I skip backwards to watch it again, for some reason it's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Heh, I love the commentary when Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are discussing that...I think they said it was kind of accidental. I adore that moment myself, although my hands-down favourite bit is the "...which car company do you work for?" bit. Edward Norton's deadpan delivery of "A major one" never ceases to amuse me.

Which reminds me, actually -- I loved him in Red Dragon, too...

Giovanna wrote:

He makes up for it with the almost never blinking when he's playing Hannibal. etc-love I can't hold the accent against him, he tries, and he maintains it the movie through so you don't really notice it's a bit odd sounding after a while. Some things just don't agree with peoples' voices. Like Jeremy Irons trying to sound American. Or Keanu Reeves trying to act.

(Yes, mention accents and I will bring up Keanu Reeves. What the fuck was that 'Southern accent' thing he was doing in Devil's Advocate oh god make it stop please)

I'm not a fan of Keanu, but I have to say I couldn't see anyone else playing Neo. He WAS that role. As for Jeremy Irons, I think it should be illegal for him to do anything but his own accent. Because I mean OH GEEZ THE SEX IN THAT MAN'S VOICE.

...sometimes I wonder if I was the only fifteen year old girl who went with her friends to The Man In The Iron Mask not for Leonardo DiCaprio, but for Jeremy Irons, Gabriel Byrne, and John Malkovich...

Giovanna wrote:

Hi. emot-smile The irrational, raging hatred of a thousand suns is directed by me toward that movie. emot-keke

However, I love Family Guy. etc-love

Aw, poor Time Warp. But...dammit, I love Stewie far too much for comfort some days. emot-dance

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#14 | Back to Top02-09-2007 01:38:29 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I love:

Batman Begins

Superman I

Superman Returns

Moulin Rouge

Sense and Sensibility

Much Ado About Nothing

Truly Madly Deeply

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Take The Lead

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Pulp Fiction

Child's Play series

Nothing But Trouble

Star Trek: Generations

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Nemesis (however, the ending never happened graaaah)

The Fox and the Hound (Hee!)

#15 | Back to Top02-09-2007 01:53:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

...sometimes I wonder if I was the only fifteen year old girl who went with her friends to The Man In The Iron Mask not for Leonardo DiCaprio, but for Jeremy Irons, Gabriel Byrne, and John Malkovich...

Oh. My. God.

I've said that almost word for word before. I love you. etc-love

Also Jeremy Irons could read the back of a cereal box and it would still soak panties. Actually, when he was on SNL, there was a skit where he was in a bar, and women kept asking him to say things just because they liked his voice, and at first it was innocent enough but eventually he was getting talked into saying things like 'Of course I'll do the dishes, dear.' and 'No, that dress doesn't make you look fat.' He narrated a special on Discovery called Eye of the Leopard that I'd been waiting to watch for weeks, and I didn't know he was involved until I started watching it. Try convincing my family of that, they all swear I had the whole thing planned out for sex appeal. emot-frown

Oh, and Lady Nilamarthiel, etc-love etc-love etc-love Sense and Sensibility etc-love etc-love etc-love. I felt so bad for Rickman's character. emot-gonk

#16 | Back to Top02-09-2007 02:36:27 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Clarice wrote:

Oh. My. God.

I've said that almost word for word before. I love you. etc-love

Heh heh heh. emot-tongue Actually, what amuses me about John Malkovich is that one time I was watching this interview with Michael Rosenbaum (who's pretty damn hot anyway) who then claimed he could totally do a Malkovich/Eastwood conversation from In The Line Of Fire. I was all "pfft, you can't handle the Malkovich!"

Ten seconds later I was...well, not eating my hat, exactly, but my panties didn't survive. Damn hot people who can replicate hot accents! It should be illegal!

Giovanna wrote:

Also Jeremy Irons could read the back of a cereal box and it would still soak panties. Actually, when he was on SNL, there was a skit where he was in a bar, and women kept asking him to say things just because they liked his voice, and at first it was innocent enough but eventually he was getting talked into saying things like 'Of course I'll do the dishes, dear.' and 'No, that dress doesn't make you look fat.' He narrated a special on Discovery called Eye of the Leopard that I'd been waiting to watch for weeks, and I didn't know he was involved until I started watching it. Try convincing my family of that, they all swear I had the whole thing planned out for sex appeal. emot-frown

I watched Jeremy Irons in Lolita once. My mother thought I was odd. I'm not sure if it was the subject material or the way I sighed every time he came on screen that disturbed her more about the whole thing...

Giovanna wrote:

]Oh, and Lady Nilamarthiel, etc-love etc-love etc-love Sense and Sensibility etc-love etc-love etc-love. I felt so bad for Rickman's character. emot-gonk

etc-loveetc-loveetc-love Alan Rickman etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#17 | Back to Top02-09-2007 03:32:17 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I saw mention of Hannibal Rising!I can't wait to go see it. Young Hannibal is so fuckable. (Well, to me, older Hannibal was fuckable. With the lights off.*ignores odd stares*) Silence Of The Lambs has always been my favorite horror movie. I mean, sure, you can have your little ghosts, and creepy Asian girls, and chainsaw weilding maniacs. But Hannibal was just so...! There isn't even a word to describe him. He can take my liver and my intestines, he already has my heart. etc-love

Last edited by dollface (10-30-2008 02:06:20 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#18 | Back to Top02-09-2007 04:33:16 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

This forum has the best taste in movies ever.

I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, but Pi is an absolutely awesome movie, as is Ichi the Killer. And don't forget The Happiness of the Katakuris.

What else? Hmm... for those of you who might be interested in art-house gore (as well as a rather violating autopsy and a sensitive rendition of near-mythical loss), Aftermath and Genesis is just amazing.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#19 | Back to Top02-09-2007 05:40:34 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

I watched Jeremy Irons in Lolita once. My mother thought I was odd. I'm not sure if it was the subject material or the way I sighed every time he came on screen that disturbed her more about the whole thing...

Hehe. Lolita. Wow flashback. This was the layout for my domain almost five and a half years ago. I'm going to bank on no one on this forum knowing about the other time I used Jeremy Irons in a layout.

Clarice wrote:

A million times, YES. Have you ever seen Rasputin? Rickman was just incredible in it, as was Ian McKellen, but because it was an HBO movie made long long ago, no one knows about it. emot-frown It's a shame really because it's one of the best performances I've ever seen from him.

dollface wrote:

[well, too me, older Hannibal was fuckable. With the lights off.*ignores odd stares*]

In my case the odd stare is from wondering why the lights have to be off. emot-frown He's fuckable young or old. Actually I'd prefer him older, after he's earned his pretention. It's just this young guy is so irrationally hot, jesus. etc-wankgirl

#20 | Back to Top02-09-2007 06:22:46 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Yasha wrote:

This forum has the best taste in movies ever.

Considering how many cannibal movies are involved thats kinda funny.

#21 | Back to Top02-09-2007 07:57:53 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Long pig, anyone? school-chef

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#22 | Back to Top02-09-2007 09:25:40 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Clarice wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

]Oh, and Lady Nilamarthiel, etc-love etc-love etc-love Sense and Sensibility etc-love etc-love etc-love. I felt so bad for Rickman's character. emot-gonk

I AM AN ALAN RICKMAN WHORE OMG. etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

And yes, I felt bad for him, too. And he did amazing. I could see the pain there and it made my heart shatter.

Another thing is that I loved the book, and the script was amazing and beautiful and I love EMMA THOMPSON and HUGH GRANT and KATE WINSLET and ALAN RICKMAN and I totally forgot to put them on the Who I Would Fuck In A Minute thread...

#23 | Back to Top02-10-2007 12:21:28 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Ma vie en Rose.

You know, I'm listening to the song from that movie - La Vie en Rose - at the moment! What a coincidence! Good movie, btw.

I thought there were a lot of good movies that came out last year that I saw. Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed were my favorites (haha, I pre-ordered the special two-disc edition of The Departed the day it was announced). A Scanner Darkly was okay, as was Strangers with Candy (although my love for Strangers with Candy may stem from the prospect of Stephen Colbert playing a gay man; Amy Sedaris FTW, though).

I also enjoyed The Guardian despite it being fairly formulaic. And a bit overly long - really should've cut off about half an hour earlier than it did. And the love-interest portion was so flat and tacked-on feeling. I was also bothered by the fact that there were little details that were completely incorrect, militarily speaking. Like them beating up those naval officers? Never would've gotten away with that sort of shit in real life. And when the main young guy (no frickin' clue what his name was) had his hat off after graduating... ugh. So against protocol.

Anyway, A Prarie Home Companion on the other hand was a rotting pile of shit. I will never get that hour and a half of my life back.

Oh, yeah, and Snakes on a Plane really was great. It was so hysterical. As long as you accepted the inherent schlockiness of the premise, you could really enjoy that film. Which I did.

As for favorite movies ever:

Shaun of the Dead
The Departed
Howl's Moving Castle

Hmm, that's all I can think of at the moment.

I'd like to take this moment to admit that Hayao Miyazaki's name being on a film ensures that I will see it no matter what. This is the only case of thise, as I don't really pay attention to directors or actors otherwise. Oh well, Miyazaki-sensei just kicks ass, what can I say?

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#24 | Back to Top02-10-2007 11:56:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Favorite movie:

Umm.... Tie between Shawshank Redemption and What Dreams May Come, I think.

Favorite panty remover movies? Secretary and Quills. Oh yes. etc-wankgirl

#25 | Back to Top02-11-2007 07:37:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

Favorite panty remover movies? Secretary and Quills. Oh yes. etc-wankgirl

Secretary seems to be a popular one for women to soak their panties over, but I'm quite sure given the character you're paying more attention to that Quills makes you a god damn nutcase.

(etc-wankgirl He's adorable.)

My favorite movies, ah...The Godfather I and II. Yes, yes, I know, har har Italian har har. You shut up. emot-mad I can't narrow my panty-removers down to two, although those two movies are definitely on the list. I would add for me The Thomas Crown Affair and The Devil's Advocate, though in both cases I tend to watch them not to soak my panties but to look at New York and feel homesick. emot-frown

Board footer