This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-07-2017 07:21:21 PM

pagetheplush
Juri Jeerer
Website

I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING UPSETTING *spoilers*

Forgive me if this was already posted somewhere on here, I actually searched around a bit to see if it was. Anyways, I am rewatching SKU for the first time and I just shrieked when I came to this realization after watching this scene and had to pause it immediately.

So the first time I watched this part I thought "Aw, she has social anxiety."
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4365/36038401560_370d7b2376_n.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4365/36038401500_b000f4fbce_n.jpg

A few seconds after seeing it again, it suddenly hit me that there was something much worse to it than that.

[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4375/36038401440_eb7096b00c_n.jpg]

[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4352/35627200013_efdd1c1f92_n.jpg
I'm gonna cry, this is why I couldnt bring myself to rewatch it for so long.
]

🌹Let's become like rose petals, blowing free!🌹

#2 | Back to Top08-07-2017 07:27:15 PM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

Re: I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING UPSETTING *spoilers*

SKU has some God-tier foreshadowing.

another example;

http://i.imgur.com/dEQZyaz.png

#3 | Back to Top08-09-2017 01:17:45 PM

pagetheplush
Juri Jeerer
Website

DrCornelius wrote:

SKU has some God-tier foreshadowing.

another example;

http://i.imgur.com/dEQZyaz.png

Goodness! I just got through that episode a few minutes ago and man even though the student council saga is a lot less sinister than the other two arcs, the ugly truth is hinted at left and right. This part where Saionji and Utena talk about the castle in the first episode also hit me harder the second time.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4412/36299414232_9220eea2b7_n.jpg

Last edited by pagetheplush (08-09-2017 01:18:33 PM)

🌹Let's become like rose petals, blowing free!🌹

#4 | Back to Top08-09-2017 04:59:24 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

...Wow.

And here I thought Anthy just wanted to live like a hermit.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#5 | Back to Top08-28-2017 02:39:04 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

I noticed that too Page! (But on my first watch.) When I first saw ep three I was like "awww Anthy is just socially anxious, I love her, so pure." And then that truth bomb was dropped. I feel like the foreshadowing and reveals all play into the series's theme of breaking out of illusions.

pagetheplush wrote:

This part where Saionji and Utena talk about the castle in the first episode also hit me harder the second time.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4412/362 … a2b7_n.jpg

THAT SAIONJI FORESHADOW IS GODLY

This binch be postin' once every century

#6 | Back to Top08-28-2017 05:00:52 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

Yeah, that scene is really sad in retrospect emot-frown

I love the foreshadowing in Utena! It's kind of funny, when you go back and re-watch, that so much in the Student Council saga is foreshadowing. Things that seemed innocuous on a first watch now take on a different meaning. For example:

- Anthy playing the piano for Miki
- Anthy giving Juri the orange rose

and other things that indicated something was "not right" with Anthy.

#7 | Back to Top08-29-2017 12:59:10 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Oh yeah, Anthy's seemingly innocent actions take on a bigger meaning of manipulating people when everything about her is revealed. But that's what I love about her school-devil

#8 | Back to Top08-31-2017 08:49:12 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

I'm considering live tweeting a rewatch of the series.  If you can believe it, I only got to see the end of the series about five years ago. (money ran out to buy and streaming wasn't an option).

Having a chance to review the ENTIRE thing with a new perspective is very appealing.  I just really really an not looking forward to the Hurry High trip, the no-reason-to-be-two-part Sunlight Garden, and really anything Nanami (except for her actual duels which are boss!).  But hye those night be the funniest 'cause I'm not doing this sober again.

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#9 | Back to Top08-31-2017 12:48:15 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

LadyButterflyNebula wrote:

I'm considering live tweeting a rewatch of the series.  If you can believe it, I only got to see the end of the series about five years ago. (money ran out to buy and streaming wasn't an option).

Having a chance to review the ENTIRE thing with a new perspective is very appealing.  I just really really an not looking forward to the Hurry High trip, the no-reason-to-be-two-part Sunlight Garden, and really anything Nanami (except for her actual duels which are boss!).  But hye those night be the funniest 'cause I'm not doing this sober again.

I'd say go for it! Also, a drunk Utena rewatch... sounds simultaniously horrible and amazing.

#10 | Back to Top09-01-2017 07:35:30 AM

LadyButterflyNebula
Ballgoer
Website

sailor-anthy wrote:

I'd say go for it! Also, a drunk Utena rewatch... sounds simultaniously horrible and amazing.

Oh I'm not a drinker. school-devil emot-rofl

Usubeni midarete manatsu no yo no yume yume
Tobitatsu kagerou koi kogarerou
Anata wo omoeba yume ni yume ni yume miru
Afureru yorokobi towa ni towa ni

#11 | Back to Top09-01-2017 12:22:37 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

sailor-anthy wrote:

Oh I'm not a drinker. school-devil emot-rofl

Oooh, I see emot-rofl Now this rewatch sounds even more horrible and amazing! school-devil

#12 | Back to Top09-01-2017 08:45:41 PM

anthy_himemiya
Miki Molester

I dreaded the Nanami filler episodes during the rewatch and even considered skipping them, but I've gained somewhat of a newfound appreciation for them. Nanami's Egg is a great metaphor for puberty/menstruation, and I love the other, more devious side of Anthy's personality that is shown in episodes like Cowbell of Happiness. Also, I adore Curried High Trip.

The only Nanami episode I could totally do without is episode 24, The Secret Nanami Diary. Filler AND a recap episode, and doesn't really add anything interesting to the story or characters.

Board footer