This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-02-2006 08:51:58 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Re: Utena Character Quizzes

Buh, I might attempt to make one as well, but I'd do it the hard way.

I'd avoid "wat is yor favrit colur) Pink->>Utena, Orange->>Juri, Blue->>Miki) And try to make psychological profiles on each of the characters and ask really obtuse questions based on those profiles.

Which I think everyone tries to do, but ti never seems like it works out completely.\

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#27 | Back to Top12-02-2006 10:29:05 AM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

I think it never quite works out because everyone has their own psychological bent on the characters.  Utena fandom has a ridiculous amount of self-projection, so you often might as well be filling out a quiz to see what influential figure in Quiz Maker X's life you are. emot-rolleyes

...Though I'm convinced we could make a good one!

#28 | Back to Top12-02-2006 10:47:09 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I must beg anyone making a character quiz not to do the "Choose your favourite lyrics" question.

1. Even if the song fits the feel of a character, it's still not a song about that character.
2. Personal preference for certain songs doesn't necessarily correlate to a song that would describe your personality.
3. It always telegraphs which song relates to which character.
4. I never recognize any of the songs and it makes me feel sad. emot-frown

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#29 | Back to Top12-02-2006 12:28:44 PM

Archambeau

Ragnarok wrote:

4. I never recognize any of the songs and it makes me feel sad. emot-frown

...Is it incredibly lame of me to have gained a love for The Afghan Whigs as a result of hunting down lyrics I saw in Utena character quizzes? emot-gonk

#30 | Back to Top12-02-2006 05:35:32 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

How about this! Instead of designing the Quiz to shell out the result stating that you are this character, it should show the result as a bar or a pie chart showing in percentiles how much like you are to certain characters.

EG
Possible Result

################# Akio

########### Kozue

###### Nanami

###### Keiko

### Utena

#31 | Back to Top12-02-2006 05:37:54 PM

Archambeau

Still runs the risk of having the answers swayed too much by the quiz maker's interpretation of a character, though, doesn't it?

#32 | Back to Top12-02-2006 06:11:37 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Archambeau wrote:

Still runs the risk of having the answers swayed too much by the quiz maker's interpretation of a character, though, doesn't it?

That’s why psychology is more of a pseudo-science than a real one because it deals with the mind and the mind isn’t something you can point into a formula and work out to any real degree of accuracy.  But it is possible to focus your mind and reduce the bias even if it’s for a short time, which makes it possible for someone to design a Quiz that would work out well.

#33 | Back to Top12-02-2006 07:13:41 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Proofreading by fans of other characters would probably help a lot also.

#34 | Back to Top12-02-2006 07:18:23 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I bet if we all worked together we could come up with the ultimate character quiz. And then the only people who wouldn't know the answers would be casual watchers who'd completely disagree with everything. emot-tongue

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#35 | Back to Top12-03-2006 01:35:49 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Actually, Gio an I were thinking a while back that it would be nice to have a real personality test to see who was most like which character. The only thing was that we were never really sure we could code it properly. I'm fairly sure I could work up questions that would relate strongly to the characters without giving themselves away, but to be honest, Gio's the coding genius, not me. I can't code to save my life.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#36 | Back to Top12-03-2006 02:49:20 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Tamago wrote:

That’s why psychology is more of a pseudo-science than a real one because it deals with the mind and the mind isn’t something you can point into a formula and work out to any real degree of accuracy.  But it is possible to focus your mind and reduce the bias even if it’s for a short time, which makes it possible for someone to design a Quiz that would work out well.

Psychology can be scientific or unscientific depending on how it's approached. The mind isn't measurable but behavior is.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#37 | Back to Top12-03-2006 03:52:18 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Psychology can be scientific or unscientific depending on how it's approached. The mind isn't measurable but behavior is.

Sociology is the study of society and human social action.  Because it uses statistics and averages of human behaviour, its more scientific than psychology which to a great extent is based on theories and personal beliefs.

#38 | Back to Top12-03-2006 05:42:45 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Psychology nowadays is distancing itself from beliefs because they aren't measurable. The behaviorists (who have been around for ages actually) study on the premise that behavior is what's important and all behavior is caused by a measurable (though complicated) pattern of cause and effect. The mind is abstract, and therefore irrelevant at this stage.

A scientific theory, by definition, is something that has been tested repeatedly and has yet to be disproved. It's unfortunate for the scientific community that the word "theory" has often been used to mean "guess."

#39 | Back to Top12-03-2006 06:37:36 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

ShatteredMirror wrote:

A scientific theory, by definition, is something that has been tested repeatedly and has yet to be disproved. It's unfortunate for the scientific community that the word "theory" has often been used to mean "guess."

In science, guess is called "hypothesis". It's theory only when its proven functional and matching with the measurements.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#40 | Back to Top12-03-2006 09:43:00 AM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Yasha wrote:

Actually, Gio an I were thinking a while back that it would be nice to have a real personality test to see who was most like which character. The only thing was that we were never really sure we could code it properly. I'm fairly sure I could work up questions that would relate strongly to the characters without giving themselves away, but to be honest, Gio's the coding genius, not me. I can't code to save my life.

It's a surprisingly simple code, although it looks a tad confusing at first...here...

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function process()
{
    var option1 = 0;
    var option2 = 0;
    var option3 = 0;

var f = document.f;
    var i = 0;

for (i = 0; i < f.one.length; i++) if (f.one[i].checked) value = f.one[i].value;
    if (value == "1") { option3++; }
    if (value == "2") { option1++; }
    if (value == "3") { option2++; }

var out = "option1";
    i = option1;
    if (option1 > i) { out = "option1"; i = option1; }
    if (option2 > i) { out = "option2"; i = option2; }
    if (option3 > i) { out = "option3"; i = option3; }

location.href = out + ".html";}

function err(msg, url, line)
{location.href = "error.html";}
//window.onerror = err;
// -->
</SCRIPT>

That goes in the head part of the page. You can add more "options" at the beginning and end. ("var option1 = 0;" just says that it exists/is an option and "if (option1 > i)" etc basically just tells it where to go if ____ is picked.)

This thing in the code:

for (i = 0; i < f.one.length; i++) if (f.one[i].checked) value = f.one[i].value;
    if (value == "1") { option3++; }
    if (value == "2") { option1++; }
    if (value == "3") { option2++; }

Represents the question, so you need to add another of those for every question. And for each option in a question you have to add another of those "if (value == "1") { option3++; }" things. (It basically says "if you select ___ answer it corresponds to ___ character. So make sure to mix up where each option# is!)

(Also the part that says "location.href = out + ".html";}" tells it that when the person has pressed submit it should take them to option#.html for their results. So...let's say you change, in the code, option1 to be Akio, option2 is Utena, and option3 is Anthy. And the person gets Utena. So they'd be sent to Utena.html)

Then in the body section you put:

Question?
<input type="radio" name="one" value="1"> answer1<br>
<input type="radio" name="one" value="2"> answer2<br>
<input type="radio" name="one" value="3"> answer3<br>

To make each question show up. (Obviously just adding another line for each answer.)

And at the very bottom:

<INPUT onclick=process(); type=button value="Submit">

The end!

#41 | Back to Top12-03-2006 10:14:47 AM

Calliston
High Tripper

Oohhhh, that's fantastic. I would love to tinker with a Utena personality quiz.

#42 | Back to Top12-04-2006 12:18:20 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Lightice wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

In science, guess is called "hypothesis". It's theory only when its proven functional and matching with the measurements.

I know what a hypothesis is, but I was providing the definition for theory, not hypothesis. Let's face it, nobody uses the word hypothesis outside of a scientific environment.

#43 | Back to Top12-04-2006 04:36:04 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I know what a hypothesis is, but I was providing the definition for theory, not hypothesis. Let's face it, nobody uses the word hypothesis outside of a scientific environment.

Well, I just wanted to point out that "theory" and "guess" are never the same in the science community - that there is a different word for "guess".

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#44 | Back to Top12-04-2006 12:55:36 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

That's why I posted the definition for theory. I'm assuming that pretty much everyone here knows, having had a sixth-grade education, but it's always nice to state the obvious.

Does this mean that politicians never took a science class? Or just that they buy into the manipulation of language for their own gain?

#45 | Back to Top12-04-2006 01:04:16 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

And furthermore: a discipline being "scientific" is not something which makes it in any way superior to another discipline.

You simply cannot apply the scientific method to human behavior much of the time. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be studied, or that it isn't just as useful as, say, cell biology.

The mind is abstract, and therefore irrelevant at this stage.

I'd say hardly so. Psychology's tendencies toward measurable analysis are kind of a symptom of a general over-valuing of scientific method in this culture, which has also happened in fields like philosophy. But the strength of the so-called "soft" sciences (augh, I hate that term) is that they can combine scientific data with qualitative thinking and, hence, actually make data useful; I really hope that they realize this before they go completely off the deep end and become irrelevant, as some fields in philosophy have done.

Last edited by Syna (12-04-2006 01:09:30 PM)

#46 | Back to Top12-05-2006 01:55:49 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The trouble with science is it's used in places that it shouldn't be used, and it isn't used in places that it should be.

#47 | Back to Top10-28-2007 06:05:09 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Yes, I'm resurrecting a fairly old thread (couldn't find a more recent through the search function) but did anyone work up a new(er) Utena quiz in the past couple years?  Just took a couple of the oldies and, um, Akio.  Twice.  And I even tried to err on the side of sweetness and light.  I'm running with the notion it's the quizzes that are flawwed.

And poking around, I haven't noticed one quiz that has even all of the primary (had significant involvement in at least three or four eps) characters, much less Tsuwabuki or all three of Nanami's backing band or the kangaroo or something.  (I might be that kangaroo, after all.)

And one's about due, yeah?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#48 | Back to Top10-28-2007 06:28:28 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Try this one.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (10-28-2007 06:52:19 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#49 | Back to Top10-28-2007 06:34:42 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Try this one.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't work.. emot-confused

#50 | Back to Top10-28-2007 06:53:02 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Bah, stupid copy-paste. Try it again, it's fixed now. emot-redface

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer