This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-08-2007 09:49:06 AM

secret_lover_of_tenjou
Framed Landscaper
Website

Re: What is your real-life superpower?

i do have a bit of foresight within my dreams, but i never remember them until i have deja vu.  I also have a ridiculously strong immune system (much like Wolverine but not that fantastic.)  a strong immune system will also cause problems though, like psoriasis -_-.  (i wonder if wolverine had those problems before he mutated?)  i also am double jointed and can bend/flex, get myself into tight spaces, despite being 6 ft. tall and weighing in around 200lbs.

sayonara IRG, 6/13/2010, 3:43AM EDT

#27 | Back to Top09-08-2007 10:42:24 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

My superpower, although, usually ineffective and subconsciously used is called "Scoping the Blitz"

Pretty much I tend to be able to avoid areas where bad things have happened or places where something  bad is going to happen. If I can be kept at a steady level of sleep deprivation and stimulation, I tend to mumble something relevant to it - so sayeth my roomate.

Case in point, I and my roommate used to live in a dorm room with a window, on the 7th floor. In the wee hours, about 3 am - in the midst of playing Halo online with my brother, I looked straight at my roommate and said "Close the win, you'll regret it." She apparently thought I was  talking about the game.

A week later a drunk student fell from his window on the 5th floor, to his death.

By far the creepiest part, he landed in front of the first floor dorm room- a quad that my three friends wanted to get, but I had adamantly refused because I hadn't wanted any drunk male students bothering us.

My roomie slept in her boyfriend's room for a straight week.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#28 | Back to Top09-08-2007 11:39:54 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

My "superpower" is assimilation.  I somehow have the ability to find some common ground with almost anyone and work my way into their social circles.  I've not used this much in college due to the lack of passing everyone in the hallway 7 times a day as well as personal reasons for avoiding others, however, back in high school I really floated from one group to another, and even now it's easy for me to become friendly with strangers and find something that connects us.

Gamers?  Yeah, I know about Final Fantasy and the Wii.  Girlie girls?  I know a lot about hair and have some hot clothes. ;)  Potheads?  I've smoked and got the "munchies" before.  Jailbirds?  Been there.  Gangstas?  I've rode around blessing clucks on the grind.  Christians?  I believe in God and value spirituality.  Domestic abuse victims?  I've seen my mom pushed around for way too long.  Otakus?  I've watched (and loved) a fair amount of anime.

I'm not trying to brag and say I've got it all, no no.  I've just experienced a lot of different things from a lot of different areas and I'm able to understand and empathize with a vast array of people.

Last edited by Alexandra (09-08-2007 11:41:14 PM)

#29 | Back to Top09-10-2007 01:48:09 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

My superpower is that I can tell when a customer is going to leave me a crap tip or no tip. (they're usually more demanding than average but not always).

But in a more useful vein, I can be charming. I have to focus on it but I can charm just about anyone if I set my mind to it.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#30 | Back to Top09-10-2007 04:39:34 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I can sneak into any room, or stand behind people for minutes, without them having any idea. It's scared many a person. I can lower my essence, so to speak, so I do not cause that instinctive "Somebody's there" reaction.

I also do damn accurate Tarot readings, as they go. Same with Clow Cards and runes. I predicted my mom's surgery, recently.

#31 | Back to Top09-10-2007 04:48:36 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

Trench Kamen wrote:

I can lower my essence, so to speak, so I do not cause that instinctive "Somebody's there" reaction.

That's cool and funny. XD

#32 | Back to Top09-11-2007 12:10:29 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Alexandra wrote:

Trench Kamen wrote:

I can lower my essence, so to speak, so I do not cause that instinctive "Somebody's there" reaction.

That's cool and funny. XD

It's caused some hilarity.

#33 | Back to Top09-11-2007 05:11:30 PM

Mai_Kanzaki
Ohtori Paramouri
Website

Trench Kamen wrote:

I can sneak into any room, or stand behind people for minutes, without them having any idea. It's scared many a person. I can lower my essence, so to speak, so I do not cause that instinctive "Somebody's there" reaction.

Apparently I do something similar but I think it's more due to the fact that I'm easily over looked (is kinda small and mouse-ish) but when I choose to make myself known it tends to disturb people for some reason. o_O...
I'm not talking about sneaking up on people just making myself heard in general I seem to have the nack to say stuff that makes people go WTF?!?
Too bad I can't seem to work it in my favor.
Or the fact that I remind people of people they know.

I'd be a good spy if I wasn't such an easily inimidated lil' wuss...

emot-gonk THINK MUN-KEY!

#34 | Back to Top09-11-2007 05:20:01 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I have the power to place a single hand in water and squeeze it into a fist in such a way that a stream of water shoots out from between my thumb and forefinger and have that stream travel several feet.

#35 | Back to Top09-11-2007 05:33:20 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

ShatteredMirror wrote:

But in a more useful vein, I can be charming. I have to focus on it but I can charm just about anyone if I set my mind to it.

Trench Kamen wrote:

Must resist urge to make D&D joke..... Must resist.......

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#36 | Back to Top09-11-2007 06:07:35 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Must resist urge to make D&D joke..... Must resist.......

Resist no more, do this test!

#37 | Back to Top09-11-2007 09:51:37 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I have the amazing ability of perfect pitch! And I can sight read or fake just about any music. That's pretty handy in the career I'm in.

#38 | Back to Top09-12-2007 11:39:52 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

My superpower appears to be the ability to stop online discussions cold, even when I don't want to.  Only in recent years have I started using my power for good -- if I catch a discussion that's heating up towards flames early enough, I can toss in a note and either the discussion stops or gets diverted onto less flammable subjects.

Unfortunately, I can't always stop the power from manifesting spontaneously when I actually want to take part in an interesting conversation. 

*sits back and watches to see what happens to this thread*

#39 | Back to Top09-12-2007 12:31:32 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

My superpower is the ability to predict what will happen in the immediacy of a baseball game, and to a lesser extent before the game starts.  I will spare the details because it would involve discussing baseball jargon which everyone might not know/care about.  But it's funny, people try to get me to do it but it doesn't work that way.  I just have to feel it and say it, and it will happen.

This "sensing" power also extends to other things a bit, most likely due to my being a Pisces.

(sorry tohubohu emot-tongue)

#40 | Back to Top09-21-2007 11:36:47 AM

Tenshi
Miki Molester

tohubohu wrote:

My superpower appears to be the ability to stop online discussions cold

*sits back and watches to see what happens to this thread*

Hey, wait! That used to happen to me all the time! I thought I was jinxed or something... XD

My superpower... No, wait... I kinda have this ability to... well... chase people away.

It's my voice. I speak really loud, but not because I intend to, it just comes naturally! People tend to hush me up in the bus, asking me why I yell.

I don't mean to.

But it sure is useful when I go to a coffee place with my friends, we laugh and yell so much that everyone around us disappears in ten minutes max. I swear! emot-biggrin

#41 | Back to Top09-21-2007 06:55:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I have two powers!

The first is not a superpower so much as a pretty goodpower.  I'm very fast and accurate at mental math.  Not to a savant level -- I have to close my eyes and think really hard for a couple minutes if I want to multiply two three-digit numbers together, for instance -- but I can do an average 25-minute SAT math section with perfect accuracy in ten minutes without using pencil, paper, or calculator.  This makes me simultaneously an awesome tutor and an awful tutor.

The second is that I can learn the basic principles of any academic field quickly and easily, and remember them a decade later.  This is accompanied by one of my greatest weaknesses: I cannot learn the advanced principles of any field with any fluency.  I hit a plateau and feel like I'm making no progress.  I get bored at about the same time and conclude that this field isn't for me.

#42 | Back to Top09-24-2007 06:25:36 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I say the wrong thing at the wrong time...and most of the time it is funny..I have been told. emot-confused emot-redface but most of yall have cool powers and should share with me emot-keke

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#43 | Back to Top09-24-2007 07:23:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I have another superpower. You can give me any screenshot from the series and I can immediately tell what episode and scene it's from. Yeah, that's easy if it's someone's shirt open or Utena yammering about lunch, but see how well you can distinguish between the 10000 shots of Anthy's vacant expressions.

....it's not a very good superpower. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#44 | Back to Top09-24-2007 08:09:43 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

You're right Gio. It's not a good superpower.

It's a FUCKING AWESOME superpower. emot-dance Do you know how many of us forumgoers would kill our loved ones to have that sort of recognition ability?

...or maybe that's just me with the killing. I dunno.

~~~*~~~*~~~

My superpower is Doom Singing. Take any song, let me listen to it once, and I can sing the word "Doom" to its harmony/rhythm. It's a pretty useless power, but it's fun to annoy people with it. emot-biggrin

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

Board footer