This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-07-2011 12:43:22 AM

Alan
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Anime Expo 2011: a brief SKU-relevant report

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5232/5906839263_b30b38a26a.jpg

Now that Nozomi/Rightstuf has started releasing the new Utena sets, I was interested in seeing what they had to say about the release, and to get an idea of the fan response.

During their Friday night panel, Nozomi revealed that fan response to the new sets has been very good, and that the first limited edition set was sold out at Rightstuf.com (though I got the impression they planned to produce more of that set), which is good if that's required to qualify for the duelist's ring. At any rate, Nozomi encouraged us to preorder the LE for set 3 soon after it becomes available, because they anticipate it selling out as well.

Saturday was the only time I spotted SKU cosplay, but then again there were people I knew who were at the convention all 4 days and I never caught a glimpse of them, so maybe I missed a few? At any rate, pictures of their full group can be found through my flickr account. They were apparently a local group of friends, not really associated with any online fan boards.

The Anthy and Utena pictured above also showed up at the Nozomi premieres panel that evening, where the audience got a look at look at the remastered episode 1, followed by the chance to win Utena screener discs. The first disc went to our cosplayers, the second to one of the few attendees who knew the name of SKU's director. I got the third one handed out for being the only one in a fairly crowded room who knew that character designs were done by Chiho Saito, and the fourth and final screener went to one of the fans who knew the name of the third arc. This does indicate one weakness of Nozomi's marketing of Utena, IMO: they're mostly aiming at existing fans even when they have good opportunities to reach more casual fans (I mean, shouldn't the people in the room best able to answer SKU trivia questions be those least in need of screener discs?)

Still...episodes 1-3 were screened Sunday afternoon, and the video room was basically full, with people sitting in the aisles. Admittedly this wasn't AX's largest video room, but these days seeing any video room fill up at an anime con is a bit of a surprise.

#2 | Back to Top07-07-2011 12:56:26 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Anime Expo 2011: a brief SKU-relevant report

Alan wrote:

During their Friday night panel, Nozomi revealed that fan response to the new sets has been very good, and that the first limited edition set was sold out at Rightstuf.com (though I got the impression they planned to produce more of that set), which is good if that's required to qualify for the duelist's ring.

That'd be a surprise (albeit a pleasant one) if they were planning another run of the LE. As I had understood it, once the LE was gone, they'd be producing the "normal" version of the set without the booklet, and presumably different cover art and packaging. Which of course would be resolicited with a new catalog number I imagine.

In any case, SKU selling out at the wholesale level = emot-dance

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (07-07-2011 12:57:26 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top07-07-2011 03:50:45 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

...I wish they'd make more of the LE xD

I'm pretty new to Utena but I like hearing that anyhow. And I like the picture emot-dance

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#4 | Back to Top07-08-2011 02:11:02 AM

Alan
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Thanks, I wish I could take more credit for the picture. I saw the group sitting on the floor in the lobby outside the Exhibit Hall, and asked them to pose for a few pictures. Once they spent a couple minutes letting me get pictures, they'd been visible enough that other photographers caught sight of them and started putting in their own requests (a running theme that weekend, and a lesson to me - if you see cosplayers that aren't being photographed, spend a few minutes getting pictures getting your own pictures of them and maybe you'll start something).

Most of these other photographers were the folks with serious photography equipment and the sense to request  that cosplayers pose in certain ways and in certain areas. I didn't realize until I was going through my pictures that one of these photographers had not only requested the kiss, but had the presence of mind to do so in a way that captured the AX welcome banner. Well, at least I think that was intentional...

Board footer