This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-23-2006 06:54:29 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Is it a mortal sin to . . . ?

Well for the past couple of years I've been day dreaming about what I want to do later in life, and the Hollywood life is one of them. One of the bigggest things that I want to do down this path is mave Utena into a live action film series! Though I want it to be a revolutionary new style in film industry. I want the series in a dual language format (IE filmed in both Japanese and English.) And many, many other things . . . But I don't know if this is a mortal sin to Utenadom, or would the world accept it for not very much would be edited from the story line.

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#2 | Back to Top11-23-2006 07:54:11 PM

Calliston
High Tripper

Re: Is it a mortal sin to . . . ?

It's all about how it's done. I think in a series like Utena, execution is what the entire series will ride on. If you overdo it, it'll be campy, and if it's under done, it'll be neurotic or blasé. Therefore, as the director, you would have the most say in that, ne?

Good actors is also something you'd really need. Utena is driven by character layers.

I don't think it'd be a mortal sin to. I'd enjoy it if it was done in good sense.

[Edited for clarity]

Last edited by Calliston (11-23-2006 07:54:55 PM)

#3 | Back to Top11-23-2006 08:06:23 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Yeah, I would want a wide spread varity of actors from different countries. It would be weird if Nanami were a Japanese blonde.

you said

#4 | Back to Top11-23-2006 08:11:58 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Sevelle wrote:

Yeah, I would want a wide spread varity of actors from different countries. It would be weird if Nanami were a Japanese blonde.

Japanese blondes scare me. Seriously. Though I'm not sure why, since blue hair doesn't scare me in the least. I suppose anything takes a little getting used to.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#5 | Back to Top11-23-2006 08:36:12 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Personally, I think it's a story best conveyed through animation.  Regardless of how good you try to make a live-action Utena, it will still come off as overly-fantastical and ridiculous.  That, and I think as viewers we already have solid "ideas" of the characters; seeing a figure we so strongly identify with suddenly portrayed by an actor we have no connection to would be quite a turn-off.  There's of course also the issue of the creators even authorizing a live-action adaptation.

A novelization is something I wouldn't mind seeing, though.

#6 | Back to Top11-23-2006 10:18:06 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

I would say that I can't see their trippy symbolism done in live-action...but then I remember Serenity and some of its trippy River mindblurbs. It would have to be revamped for the new media, and I would like to see how they'd adjust the plot and characters for it. It wouldn't be the same as the anime or even the movie, but I fully believe that it would have potential for goodness if done right.

Last edited by Ivy-chan (11-23-2006 10:25:20 PM)

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#7 | Back to Top11-23-2006 10:22:45 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I dunno, some things that were once animated make wonderful movies. Silent Hill (yeah a game but still.) was an excellent movie. It just deals with the actors acting the part and the director. And my imagination is way over zelious.

you said

#8 | Back to Top11-24-2006 01:49:28 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

It would be far better for it to be made into a 'realistic' CGI mini-series than a live action, the one thing that the Utena movie taught us was that you cannot do the Utena story justice in under 2 hours.

#9 | Back to Top11-24-2006 05:19:41 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I don't think that even CGI could properly grasp Utena's feel. The very best choice would be just to reanimate the whole thing with a huge budget. Some things just work better in animation, than in live action or even CGI. And while it might be possible to do Utena in 26 episodes instead of 39, just a couple of hours is right out.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#10 | Back to Top11-24-2006 06:37:03 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Lightice wrote:

The very best choice would be just to reanimate the whole thing with a huge budget.

Actually when I think about it, that does seem like the best idea, as some of the scenes would look kinda strange in CGI but if they do reanimate it, I would go for a slightly more realistic look at least in the face department, just slightly mind you as in facial features that are just a bit less standard shoujo but keeping in with the anglar features that the characters have. etc-wankdudeetc-wankgirl

#11 | Back to Top11-24-2006 09:28:11 AM

Calliston
High Tripper

Tamago wrote:

The very best choice would be just to reanimate the whole thing with a huge budget.

Actually, this is a good idea. But I do think CGI backgrounds would make for fantastic fare. You know, enriching the backgrounds and adding extra details. Ohgawd, Utena redone in slicker visuals would make my mouth water.

#12 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:12:52 AM

Cloudy Star
New Student
Website

Calliston wrote:

Actually, this is a good idea. But I do think CGI backgrounds would make for fantastic fare. You know, enriching the backgrounds and adding extra details. Ohgawd, Utena redone in slicker visuals would make my mouth water.

I agree with the concept of CGI backgrounds and re-animation. *imagines* X3   As for the Utena live-action... ehhh... I think it has been mentioned, but it all depends on how its directed and the actors. I would think the duel sequences would have to be well choreographed too so that it doesn't look too fake or too overdone. But my only real question/concern would be, with the complexity and depth of the series, could you really portray all that in a 2hr movie?

#13 | Back to Top11-24-2006 10:16:40 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I guess I would have to actually do it for it to be judged, because it’s really hard to judge a nonexistent thing. Sort of like judging a book that hasn’t been written yet . . . And I don’t know where you all are getting this one movie that is going to be two hours long, that would kill the big fat juicy plot of the show. I envision a movie for each story arc, and the piece de résistance would be the final duel verbatim from the last three shows. *Buahahaha*

you said

Board footer