This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-28-2012 10:33:35 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Rare but still plausible pairings in SKU fanfics?

Over at the Nanami Fanfic thread at http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=2975, the topic drifts to how Nanami had never known to have been paired with Tsuwabuki.  This got me thinking: there're actually a number of plausible possible pairings in SKU fanfics that have seldom been (or never been) explored throughout the fandom's 15 yr history!  Currently writing a lengthy fanfic myself, I offer up 2 rare but possible pairs rarely explored by other fic writers:

Nanami/Tsuwabuki: 13 yr old girl and 9 yr old boy would be 23 yr old woman and 19 yr old man right in time for a 10 yr later post series fic.  In his Black Rose ep, Tsuwabuki is passionate towards Nanami (to the point of wanting to kiss her), and Nanami blushes at looking at him by the end of the ep.  I find this pairing completely workable under the right circumstances.

Mamiya/Mrs. Ohtori: These characters, due to their outwards appearances in the TV series, seem words apart - but let's lot forget that they are likely around the same age since Mamiya was a boy from Nerumo's past decades ago.  Had Mrs. Ohtori (then likely also a young, pre-adolescent girl) and herfamily been already heavily involved with the Ohtori Clan's Nerumo's research, it is completely possible that Mrs. Ohtori and Mamiya might have known (and got close to) each other - and that Mamiya's demise(did he actually died, or eternally cursed?) could've crushed the girl's innocence, rendering her the cold, adulterous woman we see in the series. 

So, you guys got any more rare but still plausible SKU fanfic pairings to point out/offer up?  This is the stuff that fic plot bunnies are made of emot-smile

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#2 | Back to Top06-28-2012 04:07:51 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Rare but still plausible pairings in SKU fanfics?

I've already said this one, but: keiko and Wakaba. One wants to mother and nuture, the other wants to work and be the best they can for the one they love. I think it'd start very bumpy, but that it'll gradually work out and the both to them would support the other.

EDIT:Here we are. This is copied and pasted from a Nanami thread:

Saionji x Kozue = complete and utter destruction of Saionji's personality. It would make his BSOD following the Utena duel look look like he was pouting.
Kozue x Utena = a royal mindfuck on Kozue's side up until a certain point; after that point Utena would click and then it would be on, bitch.
Anthy x Tsuwabaki = she'd make a pet out of him even more so than she did Miki
Anthy x Mikage (in her Anthy aspect as opposed to her Mamiya aspect) = another complete destruction, courtesy of Anthy. Mind you, it's entirely possible she would have ultimately been kind to him once his use was fufilled ala her kindness to Miki when she was done with him. She certainly felt compassion for Mikage as he finally left Ohtori.
Akio x Chuchu = wait, what?
Keiko x Utena = you've got me on that one.
Keiko x Wakaba = probably the only ones out of the cast who could make anything approaching a healthy relationship. At first their collective feelings of poor self-worth would make things difficult, but their weaknesses could ultimately make for a very strong relationship. Keiko would still have the drive to be both special and worthy of the one she loved, and Wakaba would be able to nurture Keiko in the way she's always wanted to nurture someone. Both of these traits could compliment each other's personality beautifully.
Wakaba x Miki = I can only see this as totally platonic. And it would probably be the best and only shot Miki would have of finding his sunlit garden again.

Last edited by crystalwren (06-28-2012 04:28:17 PM)

#3 | Back to Top06-28-2012 04:32:47 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

One wants to mother and nuture, the other wants to work and be the best they can for the one they love.

Thanks for the contribution, crystalwren!
One question though . . . when both in a couple are eager givers, who's the one to do the taking (to make the givers feel good about themselves)?  And Keiko is a habitual bully (especially to other females) to the end of the series . . . I'm not sure if her and Wakaba - playful yet also righteous - can jam well . . .

Speaking of Wakaba, I've actually seen a pairing of her and Kozue of all people, in a fic which name I forgot.  That was all kinds of weird . . .

While semi-canon, has anyone ever written any substantial fic about Wakaba/Tatsuya?

edited to add:
Anthy x Mikage is actually semi-canon, considering her relationship with him for decades and on under the Mamiya guise, plus I've already  seen something bordering on this pairing in both The Graduates and Roses Grow.
I think even Akio X OldMaidTeachWhoHatesUtena (whom he might screw to use as tool on certain students/duelists) is more plausible than  Akio x Chuchu . . .

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (06-28-2012 04:40:10 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#4 | Back to Top06-30-2012 11:05:55 AM

20mensou
Wakaba Wrangler

I actually want to see Saionji/Nanami, though I know it'd probably never happen lol.

#5 | Back to Top06-30-2012 11:10:46 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

20mensou wrote:

I actually want to see Saionji/Nanami, though I know it'd probably never happen lol.

I was actually coming over here to say this. The great thing about it is its so damn plausible, and the fact that it could go one of two ways. They could either become fiercely protective of each other(since that's in both of their nature) and enjoy playing the very strict feminine/masculine roles that both of them have. OR, the could get married, realize that the other is not up to both of their ridiculously high standards, and basically turn into a real-life production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Just spitefully tearing each other down constantly, but both having too much social propriety to ever get a divorce.

Either way, wouldn't you want to read those fanfics?

Hat Mafia Member

#6 | Back to Top06-30-2012 11:12:27 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

In my Seinen Kakumei, Saionji is stuck in emotional entanglement with Touga and thus lives also with Nanami for the 10 years past revolution (details of which to be shown in Part Eight:  The Tragedy of W).  Think that's up your alley?

#7 | Back to Top06-30-2012 12:03:15 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

gorgeousshutin wrote:

In my Seinen Kakumei, Saionji is stuck in emotional entanglement with Touga and thus lives also with Nanami for the 10 years past revolution (details of which to be shown in Part Eight:  The Tragedy of W).  Think that's up your alley?

It sounds like its getting closer, but personally, it seems like they're still mainly entangled in Touga. And I tend to see post-series relationships as mainly going past whatever their main hang-up was in the series. Saionji is still fucked up, but now he's not so much fucked up about Touga anymore. So he can continue to be a douchebag post-series in other, unique ways to him. But if Nanami and Saionji seem to be seriously considering the possibility and skating around the issue(because they so would--even thought they're frank with everyone else--they've known each other way too long for it not to be awkward), then I'd be interested.

Which brings up the subject of how Saionji would ever manage to get himself into a relationship. The only reason he probably got so easily attached to Anthy A)She knows how to work him, and B)the whole victor/bride thing practically puts their heads together and says, "Now kiss!"(Someone needs to make that macro with Akio, btw). Can you imagine what Saionji would do if he had a crush on anyone else? He's dismiss it, hate himself, accept it and feel guilty, hate himself, decide he is not good enough, hate himself, resolve not to do anything, hate himself, etc. Nanami would basically have to get fed up and scream "ARE YOU EVER ACTUALLY GOING TO ASK ME OUT YOU WORTHLESS IDIOT" And then Saionji would feel shame for not being a proper MAN and hate himself. And it just continues on like that.

Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top06-30-2012 12:18:00 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Which brings up the subject of how Saionji would ever manage to get himself into a relationship.

The way the show set it up (longing for eternal relationship with Touga, helping Toruga as Bride even knowing his own chance to duel is over) , unto the final post Revolution scene with Saionji and the Kiryuu siblings, Saionji seem to me that he could only ever have a "real" relationship with Touga; Nanami and Wakaba could at most be "girls he like and might protect", but nothing more than that.  If he'd take on Nanami as a mate, it would likely only happen after he was certain he'd never be together with Touga; that, and Nanami needs to show romantic interest in him too (which she had not shown in the series).  Maybe in a settling where Touga died, then the two of them mourn him together and stick on as soulmates . . . that's the best I can think up for the Sai/Na pairing.

#9 | Back to Top06-30-2012 12:40:07 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Saionji/Nanami comes across more like siblings to me (in the... non-SKU sense), but I admit it has some appeal.

Hrm, I'm not sure I've read enough fics to know what pairs are more rare.

#10 | Back to Top06-30-2012 12:46:20 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Saionji/Nanami comes across more like siblings to me (in the... non-SKU sense)

Point.

Well, the possiblities are many, actually, as long as you don't just focus only on the very big players.

How about Mikage/His Secretary who showed up like 2 mins?

Tsuwabuki/Mari (well, Jaquemart kinda explored that already)

Mr. Ohtori/Akio? school-devil

Or, for the perverted, an explicit Mr. Kiryuu/Touga.

#11 | Back to Top06-30-2012 06:31:00 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

20mensou wrote:

I was actually coming over here to say this. The great thing about it is its so damn plausible, and the fact that it could go one of two ways. They could either become fiercely protective of each other(since that's in both of their nature) and enjoy playing the very strict feminine/masculine roles that both of them have. OR, the could get married, realize that the other is not up to both of their ridiculously high standards, and basically turn into a real-life production of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" Just spitefully tearing each other down constantly, but both having too much social propriety to ever get a divorce.

Either way, wouldn't you want to read those fanfics?

I'm voting for Virginia Woolf in that scenario. I also think that Saionji would make for a shocking husband in general, regardless of who he's married to. I can see him falling quite easily falling into a mutually abusive relationship, where Saionji would basically be submissive and do as he's told 95% of the time; but he'd explode violently on a regular basis as pressure and stress finally build to critical levels. Hence the other 5%. And honestly, I can't see him making anything more than a few weeks as Nanami's husband before the violence starts. She's incredibly easy to manipulate by someone she loves and trusts and knows what they're doing, but Saionji couldn't even manipulate his own erection. He'd attempt to play the samurai/butch-manly role, Nanami would scream her head off, he'd back off in terror and then marinate in his own resentment for a lengthy period of time. He'd slowly get more and more resentful until it's overwhelming. And then, kaboom. Nanami with a shitload of bruises and a couple of broken bones. It'd never occur to either of them to leave the other; basically, Saionji's violent outbursts would become the source of Nanami's power and they'd be trapped in a cycle of manipulation and power games. If one tried to leave, the other would take steps to prevent it so that they'd 'win'. I honestly can't see them in anything remotely resembling a healthy relationship. Saionji has absolutely no ability to do so. Anthy was basically his ideal woman and he still had the overwhelming compulsion to constantly 'prove' his superiority by beating the crap out of her.

tl;dr

Saionji and Nanami would kill each other. Literally. May as well give them a prepaid funeral plot as a wedding gift.

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf, Virginia Woolf, Virginia Woolf...

Last edited by crystalwren (06-30-2012 06:36:52 PM)

#12 | Back to Top06-30-2012 06:38:18 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

gorgeousshutin wrote:

While semi-canon, has anyone ever written any substantial fic about Wakaba/Tatsuya?

Search for Comforting Nostalgia on fanfiction.net. I think it's the only one out there.

crystalwren wrote:

Saionji x Kozue = complete and utter destruction of Saionji's personality. It would make his BSOD following the Utena duel look look like he was pouting.

I've thought of them as friends with benefits before. I really, really, really want to read some dramatic fic when she steals his virginity and he feels  guilty for liking these sensations but can't stop coming to her.  etc-wankgirl

Last edited by Riri-kins (06-30-2012 06:38:33 PM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#13 | Back to Top06-30-2012 07:58:27 PM

20mensou
Wakaba Wrangler

Frau Eva wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

It sounds like its getting closer, but personally, it seems like they're still mainly entangled in Touga. And I tend to see post-series relationships as mainly going past whatever their main hang-up was in the series. Saionji is still fucked up, but now he's not so much fucked up about Touga anymore. So he can continue to be a douchebag post-series in other, unique ways to him. But if Nanami and Saionji seem to be seriously considering the possibility and skating around the issue(because they so would--even thought they're frank with everyone else--they've known each other way too long for it not to be awkward), then I'd be interested.

Which brings up the subject of how Saionji would ever manage to get himself into a relationship. The only reason he probably got so easily attached to Anthy A)She knows how to work him, and B)the whole victor/bride thing practically puts their heads together and says, "Now kiss!"(Someone needs to make that macro with Akio, btw). Can you imagine what Saionji would do if he had a crush on anyone else? He's dismiss it, hate himself, accept it and feel guilty, hate himself, decide he is not good enough, hate himself, resolve not to do anything, hate himself, etc. Nanami would basically have to get fed up and scream "ARE YOU EVER ACTUALLY GOING TO ASK ME OUT YOU WORTHLESS IDIOT" And then Saionji would feel shame for not being a proper MAN and hate himself. And it just continues on like that.

I actually think that maybe Saionji started out with Anthy as being her friend. like Utena. At one point, maybe Saionji was actually a nice guy and saw Anthy's "vulnerability" and wanted to protect her- and thereby winning the rose bride. However, he got disillusioned with her because found out her sordid sexual past or something and got disillusioned because he thought he was special, and then never forgave her for that. One of the times Saionji duels Utena he does say that he once cared about the feelings of the Rose Bride, after all.

Anyhow, I'd like to see a SxN romance post series as a side plot to one where Saionji or Nanami decide to find their own revolution and get out of Ohtori (maybe they try to free Akio, or try to find Utena?), work together, and keep dancing closer until soneone's like, "Are you going to just kiss already? u_u;"

#14 | Back to Top06-30-2012 08:10:44 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I can't get behind Saionji/Nanami because my headcanon says that she's really HIS sister, not Touga's.

However, I can support Saionji/Keiko.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#15 | Back to Top06-30-2012 08:25:25 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Saionji/Keiko

Oh, I've seen this in Archimage, as "kindred spirits both dumped by evil Touga"; I think it's the only time I've seen it.

#16 | Back to Top06-30-2012 08:33:53 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Saionji/Keiko

Oh, I've seen this in Archimage, as "kindred spirits both dumped by evil Touga"; I think it's the only time I've seen it.

Yeah, that's where it came from.

I think it's an extremely underrated pairing. It has the potential to be entirely self-destructive and messy, but what relationship in SKU doesn't? Once they get their inferiority complexes out of the way, I think they'd be okay.

#17 | Back to Top06-30-2012 08:47:29 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Search for Comforting Nostalgia on fanfiction.net. I think it's the only one out there.

Thanks, Riri-kins!

On Raven Nightshade's Saionji/Keiko . . . yeah, that could maybe work; I'd write this myself, if I don't hold such disdain for Keiko's insect/bully character; to be fair, the girl is annoying, but still a lot less harmful than the false-fronted likes of Shiori or even Anthy; I'd feel safer around someone like her than the latter two in a real life setting.

#18 | Back to Top07-02-2012 06:09:54 PM

20mensou
Wakaba Wrangler

Raven Nightshade wrote:

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Saionji/Keiko

Yeah, that's where it came from.

I think it's an extremely underrated pairing. It has the potential to be entirely self-destructive and messy, but what relationship in SKU doesn't? Once they get their inferiority complexes out of the way, I think they'd be okay.

If they got their inferiority complexes out of the way, we would have no plot school-devil

#19 | Back to Top07-02-2012 06:38:10 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

If they got their inferiority complexes out of the way, we would have no plot

It's hard to write about a mundane couple in a mundane relationship . . . probably why there're so few Wakaba/Tatsuya fics out there.

#20 | Back to Top07-02-2012 07:13:10 PM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

I think even Akio X OldMaidTeachWhoHatesUtena (whom he might screw to use as tool on certain students/duelists) is more plausible than  Akio x Chuchu . . .

I don't know... Chu-Chu does imitate Akio's dress sense... maybe the only reason he eats everyone's snacks is because he's comfort eating... because Akio doesn't return his unrequited love.

Tragic. emot-rofl

#21 | Back to Top07-02-2012 07:25:45 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

20mensou wrote:

If they got their inferiority complexes out of the way, we would have no plot school-devil

Yes, but that's how the story ends. Everything before that is lots of yelling, screaming, and slapping on both sides. Saionji would constantly compare Keiko to Anthy, Nanami, and Wakaba, and Keiko would occasionally scream Touga's name in the middle of sex.

#22 | Back to Top07-02-2012 07:41:00 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Honey Bear wrote:
maybe the only reason he eats everyone's snacks is because he's comfort eating... because Akio doesn't return his unrequited love

. . . can't . . . stop . . . laughing . . .!!

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (07-02-2012 07:46:04 PM)

#23 | Back to Top07-02-2012 11:47:21 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Wakaba x Her new best friend - Her new BF was obviously just waiting to make her move from episode 1, and once Utena was out of the picture she went in for the kill! emot-rofl

Nanami x Tatsuya - He seems non-threatening enough that Nanami might take to him and try bossing him around, if he somehow came into her social sphere. Not sure how that would go, but it might be interesting.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (07-02-2012 11:52:54 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#24 | Back to Top07-03-2012 03:45:00 AM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Saionji would constantly compare Keiko to Anthy, Nanami, and Wakaba, and Keiko would occasionally scream Touga's name in the middle of sex.

Okay I would read that.

Wakaba x Her new best friend - Her new BF was obviously just waiting to make her move from episode 1, and once Utena was out of the picture she went in for the kill! emot-rofl

Yep, she was clearly teasing Wakaba because she was jealous.

#25 | Back to Top07-06-2012 02:26:09 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I think one of the reasons I love Utena so much is because just about every relationship is fucked all to hell. Te best you can say would be Utena and Anthy--and even they have some huge issues(the reason I'm not a huge fan of UxA because they tend to act like none exist). Nothing is simple. It helps make up for all the shallow "Miaka!" "Tamahome!" bullshit that most anime has.

I don't see Nanami and Saionji growing up together as being as much of a hindrance. It happens a lot with real people, and besides...the two aren't the most open people. I can't see it being easy for either of them to get into a relationship. Nanami obviously had a little bit of a crush on Miki and I don't think she knew much of how to handle it, and there's really no way Nanami x Miki would work. And Saionji is just...I can't imagine him coming onto anyone. Ever. He's far too disgusted with the idea. God, I'm watching this documentary on H. P. Lovecraft and its weirdly reminding me of Saionji while I'm writing this. This sheltered, too-proud, emotionally-unstable man who is too preoccupied with the filth of the outside world.

Hat Mafia Member

Board footer