This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-04-2008 03:52:22 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Akio and Sextrology

Late last night rather than reading up on whatever I was supposed to be reading, I read Gio's analysis of Akio's sun sign.  I didn't know that his sun sign was Virgo, and this piqued my interest to look into my Sextrology book by Starsky and Cox. http://www.starskyandcox.com/sextrology/

It's a great read if you're really into sex, mythology and analysis. Along with Gio's analysis, I found things of interest that shed more light into how Akio's sign plays a huge role into his personality and behavior. This is my real first attempt at analyzing a SKU character, so bear with me. emot-biggrin

I should note before I begin, that Sextrology divides up the 12 zodiac signs into 24. Splitting each sign into 2 for both genders. The authors believe that for example a Gemini man and a Gemini woman should be treated as two different signs.

Furthermore, Virgo is a feminine sign. The book goes on to say that men who are born under a feminine sign do not embody that sign's personality trait, moreso they project it onto others.

In Sextrology the Virgo man (the sign of sexual discrimination)  is summed up as a "Svengali-type who tends to become involved with women who he can mold to his own critical vision," Virgo man will usually escape this scrutiny himself. I see this played out in his relationship with both Anthy and Utena. If we focus on Utena, the events that lead up to Utena arriving at Ohtori could be summed up as Akio putting into play what he would need to shape her into what he wanted. When we look at Anthy the dynamic becomes more complicated, with most of the molding falling under Anthy's helm. Furthermore on the Utena aspect, the Virgo Man chapter points out that "it may take him a lifetime to fully perceive humility as a virtue." By the time Utena brings revolution to Ohtori, can it be said that she showed Akio that there was more to life than playing games with people?

"He revels in deflowering and the degradation of innocence."
Once again we go back to Utena, and when she sleeps with Akio. Akio's plan of getting to this point with Utena was systematic and carefully orchestrated. I'm not too sure if there was some actual revelrie but there was some degradation taking part not immediately afterwards but as the series began to draw to an end.

He has a "Don't ask don't tell" policy.

For me any activity involving Akio is a hush-hush activity. Because he's an adult figure, and a figure of importance, going around blabbing about what you did in the backseat of his car, just doesn't seem like the thing to do. To keep his game well oiled, Akio operates within a myriad of shadows. No one is quite sure of what he's up to.  He likes it that way and he needs it that way. Specifically, the creation of "End of the World" and the subsequent letters only reinforces this policy.

"...tinkers with his own appearance rather than his own psyche." "Master of Disguises"

He personifies the adage don't judge a book by it's cover. He presents himself as different ideas to different people. His clothes are well made, well tailored and in rich colors. He has the appearance of the kind of guy you'd like to have dinner with. He knows a wealth of information about different topics, he's just soo charming. However that charm is hiding a much more controlled sinister side.  The funny thing about Akio is throughout the show, he believes he's right. It doesn't matter that he's hurting others, or that his mental games could cause some damage for the students of Ohtori, what matters is that he's right. He shows no leniency to appreciating a different point of view.It was an imperfect world that made him that way, his reaction was to create a world that leans more in his favor. 

"...deep rooted fear of aging and mortality."

Dude looks great for his real age.
His love affair with youth and vitality is reflected through his obvious love of sports cars and having sexed up photoshoots with guys half his age. He doesn't surround himself with adults. Adulthood, by most people's standards means to accept a sense of responsibility for one's actions. Akio? Responsible? Ha.

Then we reach the portion of the chapter that deals with sex.

Virgo man is illustrated as being a man who belives in the Madonna/Whore dichotomy. He's more likely to higher a prostitute to engage in seedier proclivities than getting down with the get down with his Madonna.  Akio likes his women either at his disposal or on their way to his disposal. The one woman who is not subject to this is his own wife...

"his partner is left often feeling inadequate and sex starved"
Kanae Ohtori, poor woman, everyone has had a go with her husband (even her mother...) except for her. She must feel inadequate and I'm pretty sure she's sex-starved. These feelings of inadequacy are only heightened by the time that Akio spends with his dear little sister.

"Sex teaches him about himself"

Being that Virgo is an analytical sign, any type of sex drive is usually not employed for the sheer purpose of carnal satisfaction. Akio wields sex to display power. Along those lines, and with every new conquest, he can possibly learn that much more on using his own sexuality to garner an expected outcome of his partners.

For kicks and giggles, there is a run-down of turn-on's for both straight Virgo men and gay Virgo men.
I've highlighted traits from both lists:

small boobs (hi Utena!)
skinny legs
waifs
submission
white shoes
discipline
voyeurism
lite pain
teasing
alcohol
straight men
teacher-student role play
debauchery
massages

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#2 | Back to Top11-04-2008 05:28:07 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Re: Akio and Sextrology

This is actually pretty interesting....and disturbingly dead-on.

Besides, at the end of the day, isn't one of the fundamental elements of the series the Madonna/whore complex? At least, that's what I always thought the Princess/witch dynamic was.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#3 | Back to Top11-04-2008 06:20:30 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Wow... um... I think I'm gonna buy that book. It's so right about me for so many things.

But, wait, Saionji is also Virgo, I believe. Yet, he feels so different.

#4 | Back to Top11-04-2008 09:38:38 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Saionji also has vastly different hang-ups and an inferiority complex most likely.... but he does still fit the sign-he views Anthy at once as both Madonna (object of purity) and whore (object of power/possession). It's just that Saionji just isn't the brightest bulb of the bunch, natch.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#5 | Back to Top11-04-2008 09:55:04 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Anthiena wrote:

It's just that Saionji just isn't the brightest bulb of the bunch, natch.

Mmm, I agree, kind of... Still, there's a difference between being smart, and having common sense. To me, this is Saionji's, as well as the majority of the cast's problem. They've got shit for common sense.

Last edited by BlackRoseVixen (11-04-2008 09:55:46 PM)

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#6 | Back to Top11-04-2008 09:59:25 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Oh, sounds like somebody I know. His name is BioKraze. emot-tongue

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#7 | Back to Top11-05-2008 08:12:13 AM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

Good God.

The list of turn-ons seems like it was written for him.

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#8 | Back to Top11-05-2008 04:46:27 PM

lex

^

I thought so too.

I want to get into more analysis of each character on their sign...eventually. I also like the brief tidbit about the relationship between Gemini man and Virgo man (Touga and Akio).

So both BioKraze and Hiraku are Virgos, that's very intersting. It's interesting to read about people and then see their reactions to what it says about them.

#9 | Back to Top11-05-2008 09:23:52 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

lex wrote:

YOU SERIOUSLY CAN'T BE SERIOUS

I need to buy this book for wank material. Or burning material since it just covered Akio as a character more thoroughly than I have. emot-mad

Thoroughly awesome. And yes, Saionji is also a Virgo, and this wouldn't be the first time I've connected the two personalities. Obviously they are very different men, but there are similarities in how their histories manifest in their personalities, contrasted in itself by how their different circumstances let them bring it out. Akio lives on top of the world and feels no shame, so the manifestation of, say, his need to sexually dominate comes out very differently from Saionji, who is oppressed by life and his own self-esteem. Akio has Utena for his desire to break innocence, but Saionji's interest in Anthy is at least partly motivated by this as well, a desire to break something pure--namely, Anthy's cool.

Fear of death? Akio's again manifests in a more obvious way, but Saionji's preoccupation with an eternal friendship is definitely driven by a fear of anything, including life, ending.

Saionji's guilt is so destructive to him, but it's the good side of Akio that Akio doesn't have. emot-frown

...now I wanna see what this amazing book says about me. And the other characters. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top11-05-2008 10:29:59 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

lex wrote:

So both BioKraze and Hiraku are Virgos, that's very intersting. It's interesting to read about people and then see their reactions to what it says about them.

On the contrary, I'm an Aries. What does it say for me?

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#11 | Back to Top11-06-2008 04:34:25 PM

lex

Giovanna wrote:

lex wrote:

YOU SERIOUSLY CAN'T BE SERIOUS

I need to buy this book for wank material. Or burning material since it just covered Akio as a character more thoroughly than I have. >.<

Thoroughly awesome. And yes, Saionji is also a Virgo, and this wouldn't be the first time I've connected the two personalities. Obviously they are very different men, but there are similarities in how their histories manifest in their personalities, contrasted in itself by how their different circumstances let them bring it out. Akio lives on top of the world and feels no shame, so the manifestation of, say, his need to sexually dominate comes out very differently from Saionji, who is oppressed by life and his own self-esteem. Akio has Utena for his desire to break innocence, but Saionji's interest in Anthy is at least partly motivated by this as well, a desire to break something pure--namely, Anthy's cool.

Fear of death? Akio's again manifests in a more obvious way, but Saionji's preoccupation with an eternal friendship is definitely driven by a fear of anything, including life, ending.

Saionji's guilt is so destructive to him, but it's the good side of Akio that Akio doesn't have. :(

...now I wanna see what this amazing book says about me. And the other characters. :embarrassed:

It is a very good book. I mean even when I read about my own traits I was floored, although I don't want to own up to such proclivities.
Anyways...

Well, your analysis was thoroughly awesome too (so no book burning) it was just when I came across it, I was like "I wonder if Gio has this extra set of information."

I think I will compile some short lists for the other characters, it won't be as extensive for Akio...but if you want me to do like a "project" I could do that too :grin:

Ohhh...sorry Bio to misread you, an Aries? :smirks:

"Wham bam thank you ma'am" comes to mind.

Last edited by lex (11-06-2008 04:35:00 PM)

#12 | Back to Top11-06-2008 04:40:47 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

*snerk* Gee, thanks so much. emot-tongue

#13 | Back to Top11-06-2008 04:48:21 PM

lex

well that's how they summed it up emot-smile

I don't have the book on me as we speak, but, I can give you a list tomorrow if thats cool.

#14 | Back to Top11-06-2008 04:56:49 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Nah, it's okay. I think I'd rather not find out, to be honest.

#15 | Back to Top09-08-2014 08:41:51 PM

SeizonSenryaku
Architectonitechnician

Raven Nightshade wrote:

This is actually pretty interesting....and disturbingly dead-on.

Besides, at the end of the day, isn't one of the fundamental elements of the series the Madonna/whore complex? At least, that's what I always thought the Princess/witch dynamic was.

That's what I tought too, Raven! emot-smile I was going to write a tread on this topic! school-sherlockemot-dance

And NICE post, lex! I agree, tough is REALLY disturbingly dead-on...emot-biggrin

Board footer