This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-24-2010 07:28:59 PM

iluvmichaeljackson
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Re: Utena characters and their star signs...

Juri Arisugawa and I are both Sagittarius, although I was born on the cusp between Sagittarius and its predecessor, Scorpio. Since no one in the series is a Scorpio, only Juri is a match for me. That's great, though, since she's also my favourite character. emot-biggrin

Oh, also, apparently Mikage is considered a Scorpio/Sagittarius cusp, so I also share that with him. Interesting. ;3

I didn't know that Nov. 30 was considered a cusp until now. For whatever reason, I always thought cusps ended on the 27th. Also, I admit that I temporarily forgot about Mikage. Strange, cuz I like that character. xD!

Last edited by iluvmichaeljackson (04-26-2010 10:01:23 PM)

I am an imaginary living body come to its end.

#27 | Back to Top04-25-2010 09:24:26 PM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

IIRC, Mikage's birthday technically makes him a Scorpio/Sagittarius cusp. Interesting, since the way he is I'm damn surprised he's not pure Scorpio or Libra/Scorpio cusp (which he could also fit disturbingly well IMHO). Dunno if they intentionally took cusps into consideration or not when making the birth dates, though...

#28 | Back to Top04-26-2010 09:58:58 PM

iluvmichaeljackson
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Android raptor wrote:

IIRC, Mikage's birthday technically makes him a Scorpio/Sagittarius cusp. Interesting, since the way he is I'm damn surprised he's not pure Scorpio or Libra/Scorpio cusp (which he could also fit disturbingly well IMHO). Dunno if they intentionally took cusps into consideration or not when making the birth dates, though...

Interesting. I shall edit my post and acknowledge Mikage. xD

He's my third favourite character. :3

#29 | Back to Top04-27-2010 07:09:25 AM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

Oh ffff-, I was thinking he was the 20th, not the 30th. Not a cusp than I think. Fail memory is fail ._.

#30 | Back to Top05-07-2010 12:35:47 AM

iluvmichaeljackson
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Android raptor wrote:

Oh ffff-, I was thinking he was the 20th, not the 30th. Not a cusp than I think. Fail memory is fail ._.

Well, you weren't wrong, if that helps. emot-keke; According to http://astrodeli.wikidot.com/sun-sign-and-cusps-dates Nov. 30 still counts as Scorpio/Sagittarius, albeit not as strongly as Nov. 22. I would still be closest to Nemuro/Mikage, then.

#31 | Back to Top05-09-2010 01:00:19 PM

Mellow Morte
Saionji Slapper

And I am a Taurus. Is it just me, or the Japanese do not like this sign? I used to think that Ruka was a Taurus, but now it's certain that he is not.

#32 | Back to Top05-10-2010 12:19:44 AM

farthingale
Saionji Slapper
Website

Riri-kins wrote:

Akio and I are Virgos which is weird because only half of the Virgo stereotype is true about both of us. I'd say we're both analytical, but  neither of us are obsessively neat or uptight. Then again, maybe Akio spends hours vaccuming his home when nobody's looking. emot-biggrin

Well there's no sign of servants and the tower is pretty spick and span. Though I suppose it's easier to keep clean since it's so Minimalist. Also, his meals are so precise and varied, so neatly layed out; it's proof of someone with an eye for detail.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/RoseFarthingale/Utenaerror.png

#33 | Back to Top05-12-2010 09:23:34 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Frau Eva wrote:

If I remember correctly, Miki and Touga are both Gemini--which I am. emot-tongue Of course, Miki and Kozue being a Gemini is a little too apt. Miki certainly fulfills the creative and loving to learn aspects of the sign.

I would have pegged Touga as a better Leo than Nanami, who I'd see more as a Virgo. But Touga as a Gemini still works. He's persuasive and always struck me as easily bored.

I'm a gemini too emot-keke  and it's also fitting that Miki/Kozue are indeed twins. One being 'good' and the other being 'bad.' I think Kozue fills out the perceived negative aspects of the sign. She's aggressive, a trouble-maker and precocious. Hm, I wonder how much analysis is in that. *brainstorming*

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#34 | Back to Top05-15-2010 06:37:26 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I'm a Libra (13/10), which puts me with... Chigusa and Keiko. Awesome. emot-mad

#35 | Back to Top08-04-2016 01:21:08 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Frau Eva wrote:

If I remember correctly, Miki and Touga are both Gemini--which I am. emot-tongue Of course, Miki and Kozue being a Gemini is a little too apt. Miki certainly fulfills the creative and loving to learn aspects of the sign.

I would have pegged Touga as a better Leo than Nanami, who I'd see more as a Virgo. But Touga as a Gemini still works. He's persuasive and always struck me as easily bored.

No Nanami is definitely a Leo. She doesn't like to admit defeat, and has a tremendous amount of pride that crumbles apart once she realizes there is an obstacle that she has difficulty handling. She wants so desperately to be admired by her "servants" and gets really possessive of Touga. She needs servants to carry out her pranks, work, and whatever else because she doesn't like doing everything herself. She also puts the servants in their place to show who's boss. To put it short, she's a controlling snob on the outside, but totally fragile, relatable, and delicate on the inside. Which perfectly describes a Leo.

And being "persuasive and easily bored" are typical Gemini traits, they are not Leo traits. Leos love affection but they don't quite have the Air Sign cleverness to manipulate. Leos are the ones who are easily fooled by air signs, which is precisely what Touga had done to Nanami. Touga is the perfect Gemini because he knows how to manipulate beneath that pretty superficial shell of his.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

#36 | Back to Top08-04-2016 01:27:06 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Mellow Morte wrote:

And I am a Taurus. Is it just me, or the Japanese do not like this sign? I used to think that Ruka was a Taurus, but now it's certain that he is not.

Well Taurus are very headstrong and upfront people-who are precisely NOT what you want in RGU lol. The creators picked the most insecure bunch ever. Note that there are no Scorpios either. And oh by the way, Luffy from One Piece, Izaya from Durarara, and Mizuki from Hana-Kimi are all Taurus emot-keke

Last edited by ShiningSanctum1 (08-04-2016 01:28:28 AM)

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

#37 | Back to Top08-04-2016 01:34:30 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Malacoda wrote:

Astrology threads, my favorite!

My sun sign is Pisces but I'm nothing like Wakaba and Anthy. While they can hide their feelings, I start smoldering. I'm sure bystanders have seen steam coming out of my ears.

Well Pisces don't really hide their feelings. They are pacific only when you haven't done something to anger them. They are in fact very prone to anger because Pisces is a water sign, thus rendering one emotional. They do get upset and show signs but that all builds up into fury when not resolved. So when provoked too much, they just blow up. Remember Wakaba during the Black Rose arc? She went batsheet crazy on Utena and Anthy lol. Anthy also pulls pranks and gets revenge in all the sickest ways. Pisces are scary scary people who will not hesitate to show that they are upset lol. Also Pisces are dream-dwellers. Both Wakaba and Anthy were wallowing in an illusion, in which Wakaba thought she was in love with Saionji but was for all the wrong reasons. Anthy also believed she could only accept Akio as her prince and was too blind to realize earlier that Utena was the one. They are bith also quite intuitive, Wakaba was able to shape up Utena during ep 12, and Anthy's very observant and calculating as well. Pisces are known to be the most 'psychic' out of all signs.

Last edited by ShiningSanctum1 (08-04-2016 01:37:17 AM)

#38 | Back to Top08-04-2016 09:25:08 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

ShiningSanctum1 wrote:

Well Taurus are very headstrong and upfront people-who are precisely NOT what you want in RGU lol. The creators picked the most insecure bunch ever. Note that there are no Scorpios either.

I noticed that as well. If we take the generally assigned traits of the sign, a Taurus would be exceptionally self-confident compared to the rest of the student body in Ohtori, and unfairly, very easily considered boring. Would an archetypical Taurus in RGU suffer more from frustrations caused by not being able to get through to others rather than being confronted with their own failings and stubbornness?

Scorpios, on the other hand, probably aren't represented because they would be considered annoying, too clever for their own good, passionate yet overwhelmingly so, weird, almost alien in nature... Wait a minute, you think that the Shadow Girls would be Scorpios if they actually were proven to have birthdays?

#39 | Back to Top08-04-2016 03:16:08 PM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

zeedikay wrote:

ShiningSanctum1 wrote:

Well Taurus are very headstrong and upfront people-who are precisely NOT what you want in RGU lol. The creators picked the most insecure bunch ever. Note that there are no Scorpios either.

I noticed that as well. If we take the generally assigned traits of the sign, a Taurus would be exceptionally self-confident compared to the rest of the student body in Ohtori, and unfairly, very easily considered boring. Would an archetypical Taurus in RGU suffer more from frustrations caused by not being able to get through to others rather than being confronted with their own failings and stubbornness?

Scorpios, on the other hand, probably aren't represented because they would be considered annoying, too clever for their own good, passionate yet overwhelmingly so, weird, almost alien in nature... Wait a minute, you think that the Shadow Girls would be Scorpios if they actually were proven to have birthdays?

Probably, but if there were a Taurus, they would most likely be a very minor character trying to get into someone's head... But they would never be included since that would mean giving the answers away lol. Ikuhara doesn't want certain things to be explicitly answered.

But no, I do not see them as Scorpios at all! Scorpios are passionate and cunning, but they are experts only when getting revenge or finding a way to bring someone down. Which means they need an agenda. I never thought the Shadow Girls were trying to bring someone down, they were spreading gossip and more like poking fun at people's misfortunes haha. I was guessing that they could either be an Air Sign, or Cancers since Air Signs are playful and witty (a bit gossipy as well) and make good actors, while Cancers make great emotional actors and huge gossips.

Perhaps if we were to be given a shot of some random school pervert, he would have been most likely to be a Scorpio hehe

Last edited by ShiningSanctum1 (08-04-2016 03:21:32 PM)

#40 | Back to Top08-04-2016 09:50:11 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Actually, the reason I don't think there are any Scorpios in the series is pretty simple. Scorpio is ruled by Pluto, the planet of transformation and change, which is pretty much the central concept of the show. Pluto is the planet of revolution, and revolutions are not beautiful transformations like caterpillars becoming butterflies. Pluto's revolutions are destructive and wide-sweeping, but beneficial in the long term.

Also, I may or may not be constructing natal charts for SKU characters in another browser tab right now. Just saying. emot-redfaceemot-redface

EDIT: Okay, so I decided I'd just stick to their moon signs for now. Moon signs are way easier than ascendants/rising signs because the Moon stays in a sign for 2 1/2 days while ascendants change every 2 hours. If you have a solid birth date, you only have one or two options for a moon sign.

I operate on the assumption that SKU took place in real-time, aka 1997, so I calculated birth years accordingly. We decided in another thread that Ohtori is somewhere in Kanagawa near the coast, so I used that as a birth location.

Utena: Scorpio moon
Anthy: Aquarius moon
Kanae: Libra moon
Akio: Taurus moon
Touga: Gemini moon (I could be persuaded to believe he's a Cancer moon.)
Saionji: Cancer moon
Miki/Kozue: Taurus moon
Juri: Capricorn moon (possible Aquarius moon)
Nanami: Capricorn moon
Wakaba: Leo moon (possible Cancer moon)
Keiko: Aries moon
Ruka: Aries moon
Tsuwabuki: Capricorn moon

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (08-05-2016 12:19:26 AM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#41 | Back to Top08-05-2016 12:22:38 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Also, I may or may not be constructing natal charts for SKU characters in another browser tab right now. Just saying. emot-redfaceemot-redface

I'm guessing you're basing it off of the ages they would be when it aired, is that correct? Also, this is only slightly related, but 1997 was also the year of the Ox in the Chinese zodiac.

#42 | Back to Top08-05-2016 08:16:36 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

zeedikay wrote:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

I'm guessing you're basing it off of the ages they would be when it aired, is that correct? Also, this is only slightly related, but 1997 was also the year of the Ox in the Chinese zodiac.

Yep. I think I was editing my post while you were posting yours, so everything's already been added in so I didn't have to double-post.

#43 | Back to Top08-10-2016 01:13:45 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Actually, the reason I don't think there are any Scorpios in the series is pretty simple. Scorpio is ruled by Pluto, the planet of transformation and change, which is pretty much the central concept of the show. Pluto is the planet of revolution, and revolutions are not beautiful transformations like caterpillars becoming butterflies. Pluto's revolutions are destructive and wide-sweeping, but beneficial in the long term.

EDIT: Okay, so I decided I'd just stick to their moon signs for now. Moon signs are way easier than ascendants/rising signs because the Moon stays in a sign for 2 1/2 days while ascendants change every 2 hours. If you have a solid birth date, you only have one or two options for a moon sign.

I operate on the assumption that SKU took place in real-time, aka 1997, so I calculated birth years accordingly. We decided in another thread that Ohtori is somewhere in Kanagawa near the coast, so I used that as a birth location.

Utena: Scorpio moon
Anthy: Aquarius moon
Kanae: Libra moon
Akio: Taurus moon
Touga: Gemini moon (I could be persuaded to believe he's a Cancer moon.)
Saionji: Cancer moon
Miki/Kozue: Taurus moon
Juri: Capricorn moon (possible Aquarius moon)
Nanami: Capricorn moon
Wakaba: Leo moon (possible Cancer moon)
Keiko: Aries moon
Ruka: Aries moon
Tsuwabuki: Capricorn moon

Well, you're miscalculating them since the story takes place at 1997. So Utena would have been born 14 years ago, which would be 1983. In fact, someone found the Moon signs on the Utena Wiki page.

#44 | Back to Top08-10-2016 11:20:27 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

No, I have the dates right.

The problem is that a lot of the characters were born on days where the moon is transitioning from one sign into the other, and we don't know what time anyone was born, so there is a case for Utena being either a Libra moon or a Scorpio moon.  I simply chose which one I thought was the better fit.

#45 | Back to Top08-13-2016 10:50:24 PM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Raven Nightshade wrote:

No, I have the dates right.

The problem is that a lot of the characters were born on days where the moon is transitioning from one sign into the other, and we don't know what time anyone was born, so there is a case for Utena being either a Libra moon or a Scorpio moon.  I simply chose which one I thought was the better fit.

Hmm I personally find Libra Moon more fitting for Utena. I mean she kinda has that vanity to go with it, and wants to maintain fairness and peace which is what Libras do by meddling in affairs and doing what they think is right, despite how petty, ridiculous, or innocent that is to others. She kinda has that tactless way of wanting justice for herself and her friends bc she's too naive to figure out that things won't really work like she wants them to. She doesn't seem like a Scorpio Moon to me at all.

Also, time has no effect on the Moon signs. Time only affects the ascendant. Moon signs rely on the date only.

Last edited by ShiningSanctum1 (08-13-2016 10:53:22 PM)

Board footer