This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-26-2009 02:13:12 AM

Alan
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Utena movie + talk by Helen McCarthy in London on May 26

I spotted this through a press release on ANN; I don't know how many folks here can make it to the Barbican, but for those who can:

This masterful condensation of the anime TV series of the same name is a unique, existential comic book adventure laced with gender-bending romance. The prismatic storyline follows cross-dressing Utena Tenjou's induction as a duellist at the Ohtori Academy, where she must fight her peers to protect the mysterious ‘Rose Bride’ who has the power change the world. In Japanese with English subtitles.

After the screening, anime expert Helen McCarthy will guide the audience through the various incarnations of manga artist Chiho Saito's original creation and explain why the movie is a metaphysical trip which marks a visually stunning watershed in the development of Japanese anime.

Event listing at http://www.barbican.org.uk/film/event-d … sp?ID=8868

#2 | Back to Top03-26-2009 06:45:27 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Re: Utena movie + talk by Helen McCarthy in London on May 26

Crediting Saito's manga as the "original creation"? -_-;;

They're going to get it all wrong...

#3 | Back to Top03-27-2009 04:11:42 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I don't know, are they saying the manga is the original creation or that Chiho Saito is responsible for creating all versions of Utena?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#4 | Back to Top03-27-2009 05:24:37 PM

Alan
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I think they're crediting Saito as the creator, but the question I have about this description is: who's "they"? Did Helen McCarthy provide a longer, more accurate description that got edited down to conform to some sort of length requirement, or is this the unaltered description she provided (in which case, it would support a description I'd heard of McCarthy: that she's a very intelligent writer about anime and manga who will sometimes start off with some bizarro "fact" or assumption and run with it)? Or maybe somebody less knowledgeable (folks at the Barbican or an assistant to McCarthy) wrote this summary, and they just assumed the usual sequence of manga -> tv anime -> movie and assigned credit accordingly.

Board footer