This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-03-2010 04:41:07 AM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

Introducing people to Utena

Adolescence of Utena (or "The Utena Movie", as I call it) is one of my favorite movies of all time. I still remember the joy I felt I found out there was an Utena movie, and when I saw it for the first time. It's highly likely I'll never feel that excited for a movie again.

I haven't seen anything like it, before or since. And because it's such a genuinely beautiful and unique viewing experience, I encourage all my friends to see it.

Now, as much as I like Utena, I have to admit it's a bit of an acquired taste. I was so excited for the movie because I was familiar with the characters from the manga and hadn't seen any of the animated adaptions yet. One guy I showed  the movie to just didn't get it, and spent 80 of the 90 minutes complaining about the character's noses. emot-rolleyes But most people I've shown the movie to found at least one thing about it they really liked.

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

#2 | Back to Top08-03-2010 05:02:34 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Re: Introducing people to Utena

I'm pretty much strictly a fan of the series myself, haven't read the manga >_> then again I've only seen the movie once, and it was recently after I'd finished watching the series for the first time... I'll probably have to watch it again sometime in the near future.

I tried to introduce one of my friends to Utena through the series, as I was initially, and he disagreed with it in a rather strange way that I won't get into here. But, that's generally how my friend is I suppose.

Being male, as well as being of the social status I hold (the only people I interact with on a semi-regular basis are fellow social outcasts at a local gaming store) Utena is kind of a closeted love of mine. I don't have many close friends, and those folks whom I am only slightly acquainted with I perceive as being the type I wouldn't dare show it to, as I feel they wouldn't understand it and would think less of me if I were to show it to them.

However, I was pleasantly surprised when I found that my Mother enjoyed the series greatly emot-keke

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#3 | Back to Top08-03-2010 05:22:56 AM

DrCornelius
Saionji Slapper

Haha wow, I'm kinda the opposite. I don't have any problem talking about Utena with people I'm familiar with, but I'd never dream of showing it to my mother. That would be very awkward, especially the movie version.

I've seen the entire anime, and I really liked it. The ending was more satisfying in some ways than the movie, but I couldn't help feeling like I had been left on a cliffhanger.

What I wouldn't give for another Utena movie or season of the show...

I haven't watched any episodes in two years though, I was thinking about re-watching it episode by episode now that I've got some spare time on my hands (waiting on summer to end).

Last edited by DrCornelius (08-03-2010 05:25:45 AM)

#4 | Back to Top08-03-2010 07:20:46 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

PLUG to an older similar thread.

My persuasion tactics aren't very sophisticated, I have to say. ("HEY, UTENA IS AWESOME. YOU KNOW HOW CRITICAL I AM, SO THIS REALLY MUST BE AWESOME.") There's only a handful of people that I've influenced to watch the series and in some cases I didn't even get feedback after they were done. I know one of my friends really liked it, but at the time I haven't delved deep enough into the symbolism of the show, so I wasn't able to discuss and analyse things with her. I get the impression my cousin thought it was so-so and there are two people I've recommended it to, even providing them with DVDs, but they just can't find the time to watch it. emot-rolleyes

#5 | Back to Top08-03-2010 01:46:44 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I think Utena has the most attraction factor to symbolism whores, so I usually introduce people through episode 34, which has worked unsuccessfully so far, but to be fair I've only shown it to my boyfriend and brother. The shadow play girls' story mixed in with both Utena's past and the standard intro I think does a good job of showing what the series is sort of about, layers under layers, without being too spoilerific, because it would definitely leave an introduced person thinking.

I started out watching the movie first, (only after watching a spectacular AMV about it), and a few google searches later that went along the lines of 'what does it all mean", I ended up on these forums, flipped through a few essays, and I've been hooked to the series ever since.

Last edited by haelsyx (08-03-2010 01:48:11 PM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#6 | Back to Top08-04-2010 09:44:42 AM

AnimentalCosplayer
Mikage Mistruster
Website

A good friend of mine told me to watch Utena one day; she thought I would like it. Sadly, being always busy, anime gets pushed to the back burner. So almost 2 years later, it shows up on Anime Network. I thought "Hey, that was that one show my friend liked...I think I'll watch the first episode...". &&...well, I wasn't hooked at that point but I did like a show. A few episodes later, I was hooked xD;

Another good friend of mine at the time && I stopped being friends ((typically she was who I would hang out with)), so I wasn't able to show Utena to anyone but my gf. I told her how amazing it was && she pretty much fell in love with it too. We both watched the movie together the first time && we loved it too. She got manga volume 1 && I just started getting into the manga ((since it's so hard for me to find! D8))
But turns out a little later, another friend of mine who I only knew for a little while loved Utena ((particulary Touga))...so I didn't get her in the series but she is cosplaying Touga with us ;D

Long story short, I've gotten few into the series but those I have gotten into the series are the people I know who can appreciate it with the respect it deserves. :]

<3AnimentalCosplayer<3

~*~ Youtube: youtube.com/animentalcosplayer ~*~
~*~ dA: animentalcosplayer.deviantart.com ~*~

Board footer