This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#751 | Back to Top04-27-2010 12:17:33 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Re: Let's Play! Utena, Round 2: Don't Get in Cars With Strangers

Thank you Dalbun. etc-loveetc-love

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#752 | Back to Top04-27-2010 01:17:45 PM

minervana
High Tripper

etc-lovepoptartetc-lovepoptartetc-lovepoptartemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

Thank you Dallbun!!!

This was a triumph! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

I like how the game refers back to past events. I also like how Touga has the same expression in every scene of the entire game.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7273/00000945.png

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/18497-1/Game_Cap_027.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7946/00000551.png

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/125/00000574.png

How does he get his hair to do that? Directed flatus?

Last edited by minervana (04-27-2010 01:24:47 PM)

#753 | Back to Top04-27-2010 03:25:09 PM

Ruggahissy
Ballgoer

Observation: D-ko and her parents appear to be at a graveyard. Are we visiting Chigusa?

#754 | Back to Top04-27-2010 04:24:46 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

minervana wrote:

I like how the game refers back to past events. I also like how Touga has the same expression in every scene of the entire game.

Not so - he smiles broadly at the very end there, when we're talking about how awesome he was in bed.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2195/00000948.png

Oh, Touga.

Ruggahissy wrote:

Observation: D-ko and her parents appear to be at a graveyard. Are we visiting Chigusa?

Huh, I wonder! You'd think that would be waaaay too awkward for D-ko to talk to her parents about, but maybe she's a better person than I am. Good catch.

Last edited by Dallbun (04-27-2010 04:26:38 PM)

#755 | Back to Top04-27-2010 04:51:08 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Ruggahissy wrote:

That was my guess too. But D-ko's in her Ohtori uniform and needs to take a plane to get home. And her father's sick, so he probably wouldn't have come to Ohtori to pick her up...?

Dallbun wrote:

Our poor father... sounds like he was struck with a case of Akio-Wants-Us-Out-Of-Ohtori-Now-itis.

Or Chigusa's yorishiro was secretly sustaining him as well! emot-aaa

Dallbun wrote:

It's really cute the way the game is calling back to all our previous activities. We slept with Touga, fenced with Juri, tutored Miki, and... uh... Saionji was also around.

I guess we should have made time to drink Rooibos tea with him.

Dallbun wrote:

I deliberately caught the date box on this shot, because it strikes me that Akio's dialogue in the last scene is a little odd. Chigusa was a test case for Mikage? But Mikage is already walking around on the 25th, as evidenced both here, and in our previous playthrough, where D-ko ran into him just before talking with Juri and getting picked up in the Akio Car.

I dunno, maybe he was so excited that the Chigusa thing worked that he went ahead and set up Mikage as soon as possible. It just seems kind of hasty, is all.

Possibly Chigusa was a test case for Mikage solely in regard to him being a duellist. Assuming there's some sort of special circumstances required for people to go to the duelling arena or something. In which case, Mikage has probably been around since he first showed up as Nemuro, but wasn't given any motivation to get involved in the duelling game. Meaning the following scene could well be Mikage and Anthy!Mamiya's first meeting, to paraphrase the concept as it appears in certain Disc World novels; Mamiya has been living in Nemuro Memorial Hall's basement for decades, but he hadn't been living there yesterday.

Either way, syncing things up with Mikage as part of the plot is really neat, once again I'm amazed with how far the game takes us.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1582/00001001.png

So D-ko wrapped the red thread around... her (father's) sword? That is not how the charm is supposed to work!

I assume on a specific character ending it would refer to them specifically, with we got it makes the most sense for Juri to be D-ko's ambition. Which is totally great because by the time she gets back to Ohtori, Shiori will have returned. That would be fun to watch.

Dallbun, no words can describe how thankful I am to you for having done this... twice even! Nor are there enough etc-love and poptart's in the world.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#756 | Back to Top04-27-2010 05:18:21 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Ragnarok wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

Our poor father... sounds like he was struck with a case of Akio-Wants-Us-Out-Of-Ohtori-Now-itis.

Or Chigusa's yorishiro was secretly sustaining him as well! emot-aaa

Good point - does seem like he got sick almost immediately after the duel. There are certainly voodoo-doll-esque elements about the love charm, and Chigusa was a witch queen, after all. The question is whether that connection was deliberate on the part of Chigusa or not.

I assume on a specific character ending it would refer to them specifically, with we got it makes the most sense for Juri to be D-ko's ambition. Which is totally great because by the time she gets back to Ohtori, Shiori will have returned. That would be fun to watch.

You're probably right about the other character endings, but in this context, I actually read D-ko as talking about Chigusa! What with the fencing, and the much being much stronger, and the wanting to catch up with her. It makes the most thematic sense. (Sure, she's dead, but she was dead the first time around, too.)

Last edited by Dallbun (04-27-2010 05:19:22 PM)

#757 | Back to Top04-27-2010 06:58:23 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Thank you Dallbun!!!

This was a triumph! I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Dittio and Touga's half smirk gave him a whole 2 different expressions for the entire game...oh well according to D-ko he expresses himself well enough in bed.

poptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptart emot-dance for you.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#758 | Back to Top04-27-2010 07:07:21 PM

ApricotRose
Saionji Slapper

So D-ko wrapped the red thread around... her (father's) sword? That is not how the charm is supposed to work!

And I read it as a love/PG-rated love/admiration charm about Utena, who gave her back the sword.  But who knows what goes on inside D-ko's purple head.  Side story: way back when I first saw the pictures of the game on the Japanese Sega site they had the picture of D-ko and Utena in bed, the shower scene, then the one of D-ko wearing Utena's jacket, juxtaposed to make the viewer think the two were a couple!

the only problem with the perfect ending... no smoochies!  I think d-ko should've kissed everybody.

#759 | Back to Top04-28-2010 12:12:32 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Ico wrote:

But now that I see the juxtaposition of all these pics together, I do find it mildly disturbing that D-Ko had such a good time with Touga (even though I am guilty of voting in that direction)--and that Touga looks so stunningly like her own dad.

This is not helped by remembering that Nanami and Touga are adopted.

Ico wrote:

Re: Mikage's lingering spirit, if the implication is that he is well and truly dead--how did he die in the fire?  I'd always assumed that Akio's phone call to him meant his ejection to the real world (and yes, I know there are a multitude of theories about what actually happened to him).  But within the game continuity, if he did die when Nemuro Memorial Hall burned down--when Tokiko slapped him for setting the fire, he was standing OUTSIDE the building.  So how did he burn with it?  After she slapped him, did he realize he'd made a mistake and then just... give up, and go inside the building and let himself die?

Because if that happened, that's even more tragic than his story is already.  emot-gonk

I don't think he died in the fire. It's a personal opinion, I think, but from Akio's comments about Ohtori being a garden where teenagers never become adults, and considering Mikage's assertion that he made time stop because his beautiful memory was worth preserving, I think Mikage was just the...god, the Germans/Scandinavians have good words for this. Doppelgänger, certainly, or maybe something similar to a Finnish Etiäinen. Possibly also a reverse vardøgr. Given the essential differences between Mikage and Nemuro, it's like his spirit was fractured. Chigusa doesn't seem to have been in quite the same boat; she remembers things a lot more clearly than Mikage does. With Mikage, it always seemed to me that Akio whipped his fledging emotions -- which he had not experience to control -- into a frenzy, and then used that energy to his own ends. Poor Nemuro. As for the horcrux...I'd be inclined to think Mamiya himself/herself was the horcrux, rather than the rose. He'd lost the duel before Utena struck it from his chest, and the whole things ends with Tokiko/Mamiya falling down. It would possibly explain why Mikage projected Tokiko and Mamiya onto Utena and Anthy; his horcrux was more mental, and he was just giving it a physical manifestation, perhaps?

...this is a bit OT, sorry. emot-biggrin Thank you, Dalbun! I've only come in at the end here, and I need to go back and read it all properly. Thank you so much for doing this, though. etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#760 | Back to Top04-28-2010 11:42:17 AM

CoyoteMemories
Juri Jeerer

Thank you, Dalbun. 카함사미다. ありがとうございます。Gracias and more.

You are beyond awesome on a scale of amazing, truly.

Inside I'm hollow. STOP KNOCKING ON ME!

#761 | Back to Top04-28-2010 02:50:44 PM

Hanayome
Miki Molester

Ico wrote:
But now that I see the juxtaposition of all these pics together, I do find it mildly disturbing that D-Ko had such a good time with Touga (even though I am guilty of voting in that direction)--and that Touga looks so stunningly like her own dad.

emot-aaa We just added a little more incest to the series!

Also, thank you so much for your awesome work, Dallbun.etc-love

#762 | Back to Top04-28-2010 06:46:20 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

This was absolutely, utterly amazing. Thank you so much, Dalbun. etc-lovepoptartetc-lovepoptartetc-love

#763 | Back to Top04-28-2010 11:41:25 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Thinking more about the Akio scene, maybe it doesn't relate directly to Mikage at all. Possibly the way Chigusa is brought back is similar to how the black roses function, since they're tied in with the hundred dead duellists.

#764 | Back to Top04-29-2010 10:18:15 AM

minervana
High Tripper

Hanayome wrote:

Ico wrote:

emot-aaa We just added a little more incest to the series!

Did we? If D-Ko's Mom was pregnant with D-Ko while she was a student, then how could she be Touga's mother? D-Ko is three years younger than Touga. Which means, if Mom had D-Ko when she was fifteen, she would have had to have given birth to Touga when she was eleven or twelve. emot-gonk Not to mention that Nanami, who looks nothing like D-Ko, is the same age as her. Right?

#765 | Back to Top04-29-2010 10:39:41 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

D-ko's mother probably isn't the first girl D-ko's father slept with. school-sherlock

#766 | Back to Top04-29-2010 12:22:57 PM

minervana
High Tripper

Ragnarok wrote:

D-ko's mother probably isn't the first girl D-ko's father slept with. school-sherlock

emot-gonk

#767 | Back to Top04-29-2010 04:14:52 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

minervana wrote:

Not to mention that Nanami, who looks nothing like D-Ko, is the same age as her. Right?

Nope, Nanami's a year younger than D-Ko.

Or the last.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (04-29-2010 04:15:13 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#768 | Back to Top04-30-2010 12:21:54 AM

WinstonTA
Touga Topper

Dalbun, you are beyond awesome.  It really means a lot that you went through this game, not just once but twice, for us to enjoy.  Especially considering the fact that many people, like myself, would otherwise not have access to the game.

One idea about Mikage.  I have a feeling that Akio was always planning on using him as some sort of distraction/puppet/toy one way or another.  But perhaps it was the successful completion of this test that made him decide to not just have Mikage as a tool, but a tool implemented in a big scheme to add much more plot to the series and depth to our already dark and twisty cast.  Or perhaps with the final demise of Chigusa he just decided "Oh, that didn't work out exactly how I planned... what other toy do I have to amuse myself with?  Anthy!  Go fetch my toy box of souls!"

Listening to the musical's soundtrack adds some cracktastic-ness to my post lol  I swear, if it hadn't been part of that commemorative cd set...

“You taste so good,” she whispered against my skin, lingering where my neck met my shoulders. “You taste like...”
“If you say eternity,” I said drily, “I’ll get out of the shower right now.”
~Utena & Anthy, "Thorns Wither" fic, Chapter 4

#769 | Back to Top04-30-2010 01:47:00 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I don't think Chigusa is the experiment for Mikage. I think Chigusa is the experiment for all the Black Rose duelists.

Using a soul for a duelist.

The black rose signet is what binds the dead duelist to the bearer.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#770 | Back to Top04-30-2010 02:43:49 AM

Scoluron
Rose Bride

Man.  I don't like liking Akio, but on occasion I'm reminded that if anything his machinations tend to end up helping people deal with their deep psychological hangups.  An honorable devil, even if he doesn't seem to know it himself.

I get the vague sense that Akio and Anthy only recently came to possess Ohtori, and that it had existed before their occupation, when before I'd always assumed they'd been around for a while and Ohtori was a byproduct of their existence as whatever they are.

"Himemiya! I've misjudged you!" "My image of you is ruined."

#771 | Back to Top04-30-2010 02:28:42 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

Amazing Dallbun, I really enjoyed this thread.

#772 | Back to Top04-30-2010 06:03:51 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

Let me just join in and say this was really fun. Thanks so much, Dalbun!  poptartpoptartpoptart

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#773 | Back to Top04-30-2010 09:33:00 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I'll add my voice to the chorus.  This shit was off the hook.

#774 | Back to Top04-30-2010 10:59:13 PM

Twisted
Juri Jeerer

I am so in love with you for doing this! Please please please do another play through!! etc-love

Me No SpElL gOoD

#775 | Back to Top05-01-2010 01:50:26 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

Twisted wrote:

I am so in love with you for doing this! Please please please do another play through!! etc-love

At the very least, we need a Juri run like we were doing before we got distracted.  It would make my life a hell of a lot more fulfilled.

Board footer