This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-04-2015 05:44:53 AM

malna
Caretaker

Re: Anime like Utena?

As many of you have already stated, there is nothing like Utena (or if there is, I haven't stumbled across it yet). I've seen some of the anime recommended above and imo nothing comes even close. I've just finished watching Princess Tutu and I'm not a fan, I rather enjoyed Madoka but I don't get what's all the fuss about it, I've yet to pull through Simoun because the first episodes drove me away with their pathos, same for Evangelion, where the first episodes drove me away with their techno-babble.

But I've just started watching Star Driver (from one of the Utena writers) and so far I truly enjoy it a lot...

a lot of hope in one man tent

#27 | Back to Top03-07-2015 12:07:17 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Star Driver is the one Enokido did after Utena. I haven't watched it yet, but since I liked best the parts of Utena that he wrote, I expect I'll love it. I just have to make the time to watch it emot-gonk

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top03-07-2015 10:22:51 AM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

It's not an anime but the manga Kaguya Hime reminds me of Utena a bit with the mentions of incest, homosexual relationships, nightmare fuel, tomboy girls, girly bishonen, with both garnering a bit of same sex crushes, and mind screw elements.

#29 | Back to Top03-17-2015 09:30:14 AM

malna
Caretaker

Yasha wrote:

Star Driver is the one Enokido did after Utena. I haven't watched it yet, but since I liked best the parts of Utena that he wrote, I expect I'll love it. I just have to make the time to watch it emot-gonk

I've just finished watching this series and... I won't say anything more for now, just go watch it, it's well worth your time. Just a warning, though - the main plot takes long to unfold.

a lot of hope in one man tent

Board footer