This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-10-2012 09:59:55 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

~& Riddle Me This! &~

Greetings, citizens of In the Rose Garden!  Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Edward Nigma, the world's greatest detective and its greatest criminal mastermind.   It's absolutely lovely to meet you.  What a pity that our time together will be so short!

Let me explain.  I've attached a truly ingenious explosive device to your precious forum's server.  It will detonate in four weeks' time unless you can discover the password to disarm it.  And don't count on that dimwitted Dark Knight to help you out; I've made sure he'll be out of commission.  Oh, but don't worry.  I'm certain that your brilliant minds are up to the challenge of solving all of my riddles and learning the password.  This should just be a fun diversion for you!  No trouble at all!

Ha ha, just kidding.  I am immeasurably smarter than you.  Frankly, I'd be surprised if you nincompoops can solve even one of my riddles, even if you all work together.  Your forum is doomed!

Unfair, you say?  Hah!  It's no fun if it's fair!  My puzzles are like nothing you've ever seen before.  You'll break your minuscule brains merely figuring out what you're supposed to do!  Every four days there will be a new riddle, whose solution is a word or phrase.  This will go on until we reach my seventh and final riddle, which will yield my password if you've somehow managed to solve the previous six.  If that password goes undiscovered for four days more - KAPOW!

Oh - and if you have any questions at all, please do ask them below.  I do enjoy mocking inferior intellects.  You could say it's a hobby of mine.

You can find the first of my riddles here.  Are you up to the challenge?

Yours,

Edward Nigma
The Riddler

Riddles

Poison Ivy: solved  [          CONAN          ]
Catwoman: room temperature
Two-Face: barely beginning to thaw
The Penguin: solved  [GIBBIFER CALIFORNICUS]
Scarecrow: barely beginning to thaw
Harley Quinn: almost room temperature

Last edited by satyreyes (09-18-2012 12:08:54 AM)

#2 | Back to Top08-10-2012 10:54:26 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: ~& Riddle Me This! &~

Introductions belong in the introductions thread.  And holding the forum hostage in your very first post is rather rude.  emot-mad

That said, since we wouldn't want Mr. Nigma to set off his bomb prematurely, we will allow this inappropriate game to go forward.  Help us save the forum!  Please?  emot-gonk

#3 | Back to Top08-11-2012 09:25:26 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hmmmmmm........ okay, so I don't know for sure what the answers may be, but I'll give a couple of them a shot.

#4 | Back to Top08-11-2012 12:20:37 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Wait, does anyone have the number or e-mail for the Narumi Detective Agency? Rumor has it that there's a guy there who can access the Planetary Archive with his mind...

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#5 | Back to Top08-11-2012 04:34:16 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I'm in for something new. emot-smile

#6 | Back to Top08-11-2012 05:51:20 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

If your the greatest detective and criminal mastermind, why haven't I ever ever heard of you? Will this lack of knowledge prevent me from solving your riddles? Isn't the kapow sound effect normally associated with punching people in the face?

#7 | Back to Top08-11-2012 06:31:35 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

Oh, and I suppose you think that the Joker must be a great criminal mastermind, just because you've heard of him?  Just because he gets all the press and the hot girlfriend and the Academy Award-winning documentary – which wasn't even that accurate, by the way – he's suddenly the Napoleon of crime?   Well, some of us don't need clown makeup to put on a show.  I put on my performances in the theater of the mind.  And there is only one impresario.  Me!

As insulted as I am that you haven't heard of me, I promise not to hold it against you.  You can solve all of my riddles without knowing the first thing about Gotham City.  Any exceptions will be as clear as crystal.

#8 | Back to Top08-11-2012 06:51:11 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

You have to admit he's got one hell of a human resources department.

#9 | Back to Top08-12-2012 09:26:47 AM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Stop it, Jim Carrey. Threatening the forum? It seems your career objectives have taken a turn for the worse.

Edit: Well, a worse turn, anyway...

Last edited by Crystalline_Dream (08-12-2012 09:28:30 AM)

#10 | Back to Top08-12-2012 12:30:21 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Joker? You mean that clown guy with the clown girl side kick? I thought she was enjoying hot sex with Poison Ivy. emot-confused

I guess I'll leave Gotham gossip for the Gotham-ites because I think I hear Lord Dredmor rising from his grave again.

#11 | Back to Top08-12-2012 10:48:05 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

...I wonder where I can find a Lost Driver for this Gaia Memory? You know, the one that says "SKULL" on it... ;)

(IRL? HA! I *wish*!)

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#12 | Back to Top08-13-2012 12:57:27 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Oh, my...

O_O

Oh, my...

etc-love

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#13 | Back to Top08-13-2012 01:29:51 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Eh, I've always been a fan of Oswald Cobblepott.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#14 | Back to Top08-14-2012 10:03:21 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

Look out, "heroes!"  Catwoman is on the prowl!

Of course, you've still got Poison Ivy to clean up, too.  I've helpfully linked to both puzzles at the top of this thread.

#15 | Back to Top08-15-2012 07:12:23 PM

Saito Hoshikawa
Thorn of Death

The Riddler wrote:

Oh, and I suppose you think that the Joker must be a great criminal mastermind, just because you've heard of him?  Just because he gets all the press and the hot girlfriend and the Academy Award-winning documentary – which wasn't even that accurate, by the way – he's suddenly the Napoleon of crime?   Well, some of us don't need clown makeup to put on a show.  I put on my performances in the theater of the mind.  And there is only one impresario.  Me!

As insulted as I am that you haven't heard of me, I promise not to hold it against you.  You can solve all of my riddles without knowing the first thing about Gotham City.  Any exceptions will be as clear as crystal.

And some of us don't need to hold a whole forum hostage for a show, but even then, no one's crazy enough to pull such stunts to get such attention.

And to be fairly honest, clown makeup interests and attracts some people. school-devil

"Whatever all this is, it needs to not be a thing at all."

Being a ghosty piece of shit with no standards since 2014 (maybe earlier).

#16 | Back to Top08-18-2012 02:00:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hi all!  I'm unmasking myself -- to no one's great surprise, I am the Riddler!  I'm fessing up because no one's posted to the puzzle threads in nearly three days, which tells me that the puzzles are too hard, not fun enough, or both. 

I wrote the riddles to resemble the ones in the MIT Mystery Hunt, an annual long weekend of born-original puzzles, presented without instructions, relying on a lot of lateral thinking.  Hunt puzzles are tough even for veterans of the event.  To make matters worse, this was my first time writing this kind of puzzle -- so I'm an inexperienced constructor writing puzzles for a crowd that's largely never seen this kind of thing before.  I knew it was risky going in.  I'm glad some of you have managed to have some fun with it anyway. emot-smile

What I want to know is: do you want to keep going?  I can give hints now if need be, without having to couch them in the Riddler's insulting arrogance or get my lovely assistant bella to write Harley for me.  But we can also just call the whole thing off.  I would love to share my work with you, but I don't want to try the forum's patience.  Thoughts?  Feelings?

#17 | Back to Top08-18-2012 02:20:57 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hi satyr,

I actually enjoyed the puzzles and would like to keep going.

But, lately it's just been a very busy time of the year for me, and I do need to reserve my brain juice for other pressing matters in life right now, so maybe later in the year I will be able to participate more often in the puzzles.

As far as difficulty is concerned, it is a little hard for me to figure some things out (I wasn't completely sure about the one-less/one-more letter thing in crossword) Maybe start off with something simpler, so we get a feel for it before going for the hard stuff.

Last edited by Hiraku (08-18-2012 02:21:17 PM)

#18 | Back to Top08-18-2012 02:54:44 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I adore the puzzles!  I've shown them to all my friends and bragged about how I am a part of forum that does cool stuff like this.  I have just been busy the past few days; the semester starts back up next week so I'm running around trying to get some things in order.  I was also afraid of over-posting in the Riddler threads and annoying other forum members with my half-baked observations.   The only thing I would add to the Riddler puzzles is a way of confirming if we are correct.  Say, if someone answers with the correct word on the Ivy puzzle to go ahead and edit that answer into the first post.  You don't have to say WHY it was correct, for example, but it would be a clue in its own way for us to work off of.

#19 | Back to Top08-18-2012 03:04:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

I actually enjoyed the puzzles and would like to keep going.

This is really all I needed to know. emot-smile  I don't want to make anyone feel obliged to participate, but at the same time I don't want to post into a void.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I was also afraid of over-posting in the Riddler threads and annoying other forum members with my half-baked observations.

Half-baked my ass.  Ivy is practically solved.  emot-biggrin

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

The only thing I would add to the Riddler puzzles is a way of confirming if we are correct.  Say, if someone answers with the correct word on the Ivy puzzle to go ahead and edit that answer into the first post.  You don't have to say WHY it was correct, for example, but it would be a clue in its own way for us to work off of.

This is a great idea.  That seems like a good way to let you know when you're onto something.  The only thing is that I don't want to give spoilers to people who might come along later, and it might not be equally applicable to all puzzles.  So for Ivy I'll post a grid with the correctly guessed answers to the end of the current thread as encouragement; for Catwoman I'll tell you who's thinking along the right lines and how far e got; and for upcoming puzzles we'll play it by ear. emot-smile

#20 | Back to Top08-18-2012 10:00:14 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

What do you get when you cross a prosecutor with a persecutor?  Why, our old friend Two-Face, of course.  I do hope you have fun getting to know each other!

Last edited by The Riddler (08-18-2012 10:01:31 PM)

#21 | Back to Top08-21-2012 07:04:22 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Ah, okay!  Little busy this upcoming week (School is all like, do stuff Katelyn, do stuff forever, and they keep scheduling me to work every single day despite my requests from last Spring that I take less hours so I can devote myself to lurnin' which sucks because I really wanna sign up for a service learning opportunity through CASL and just :C) so I might be a bit scarce on these Riddles. 

If only super muscly and mysterious hero could find some way to interfere with the Riddler's internet connection or force him in some way to lengthen our deadline! 

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/318/3/1/bat_signal_by_westcity42-d4g7rn3.png

#22 | Back to Top08-22-2012 11:36:19 AM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

All I wanted to do was execute the greatest Gotham antagonist team-up of all time, with me at the helm.  I completely forgot why I don't ordinarily do team-ups: unreliable partners!  Case in point: tonight's mystery guest.  He was supposed to have finished his share by now, but instead I learn that he hasn't been seen in almost three days.  I can't fathom what's caused this lapse -- perhaps a critical tuxedo shortage? -- but the next riddle will be unavoidably delayed until he turns up.  All the better for you, forumites.  Not that it makes any real difference.  My riddles will overcome you eventually!

#23 | Back to Top08-22-2012 05:57:28 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Hi all!  I'm unmasking myself -- to no one's great surprise, I am the Riddler!  I'm fessing up because no one's posted to the puzzle threads in nearly three days, which tells me that the puzzles are too hard, not fun enough, or both. 

I wrote the riddles to resemble the ones in the MIT Mystery Hunt, an annual long weekend of born-original puzzles, presented without instructions, relying on a lot of lateral thinking.  Hunt puzzles are tough even for veterans of the event.  To make matters worse, this was my first time writing this kind of puzzle -- so I'm an inexperienced constructor writing puzzles for a crowd that's largely never seen this kind of thing before.  I knew it was risky going in.  I'm glad some of you have managed to have some fun with it anyway. emot-smile

What I want to know is: do you want to keep going?  I can give hints now if need be, without having to couch them in the Riddler's insulting arrogance or get my lovely assistant bella to write Harley for me.  But we can also just call the whole thing off.  I would love to share my work with you, but I don't want to try the forum's patience.  Thoughts?  Feelings?

At the risk of sounding contrary, is there a reason the puzzles aren't in the Shaved Ice  area with the rest of the games?

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#24 | Back to Top08-22-2012 06:13:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Not all games go in the Shaved Ice Lounge.  The Lounge is intended for threads that don't require a lot of thought, many of which happen to be games: Avatar Above Me, Ask a Stupid Question, and so on.  We invented it because quickpost threads were taking over all the other forums, and they meant a lot to some members while others didn't care about them at all; these threads had more in common with each other than they did with their neighbors in GD or IFD.

These riddles, I guess, are a borderline case.  They certainly are games -- but certainly not quickpost games.  They do take up quite a bit of space in GD -- but my intuition is that the GD audience is more interested in them than the SIL audience would be.  They could probably go in either place.  Would you prefer to see them in SIL?

#25 | Back to Top08-22-2012 06:30:41 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'd prefer them here, if only because there is a theme to them.  It feels like a forum event, if that makes any sense.

Board footer