This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-18-2012 10:00:03 PM

The Riddler
Saionji Slapper

[Riddler] Two-Face

Two-Face

Two-Face is having an identity crisis, as usual.  Poor Harvey has changed a lot over time, and now his every single thought is out of order.  How far can he count on you to sort him out?  Not very far, I imagine!

Who am I.                            7 6
Who I am.                            4 5 3 3 14
Who am I?                           6 5
Nobody but me.                    3 5 5
What's my name?                 5 5 4
You know my name.             5 7
Remember my name.           5 5
Don't you forget about me.    6 5
Remember me.                    10
This is who I am.                  7 7
I am who I am.                    3 3

http://ohtori.nu/Riddler/Two-Face_Tickmarks.png

#2 | Back to Top08-18-2012 10:53:55 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Re: [Riddler] Two-Face

Is your picture that resembles a time line supposed to look rather cut off at the second 6 (the one next to the 18)?

#3 | Back to Top08-18-2012 10:55:12 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Yup!

#4 | Back to Top08-20-2012 08:05:30 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

[The picture is unlikely to be very helpful until you've made sense of the clues.  What are they cluing?  Do any of them ring a bell?]

#5 | Back to Top08-20-2012 08:20:57 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

They sound kind of like song titles or lyrics to me.

#6 | Back to Top08-20-2012 09:33:57 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

If they are song titles, I know a couple of them are by two or more artists, different songs same title.

Por Ejemplo....

This is Who I Am
Third Day, Vanessa Amorossi, Lil Kim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#7 | Back to Top08-25-2012 02:27:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

[Every post so far has made at least one important observation.]

A good piece of general puzzle-solving advice: put yourself in the constructor's shoes.  Back on Poison Ivy, OITL complained a couple times that there was no way to check the clue answers.  But I would never write a puzzle with no checking mechanism -- that wouldn't be much fun!  It's just that the check turned out to be something unexpected: [whether the answer could be transformed into a plant, animal, or person].

Likewise, if you think that this puzzle has something to do with [song titles or lyrics, but there are many songs that share the same title, you can trust that I haven't stranded you.  There must be a way to know which song I'm talking about.]

#8 | Back to Top08-26-2012 12:34:35 PM

Crystalline_Dream
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

I feel like the word "count" in the original clue is really important. Maybe whether the numbers next to each lyric(?) are ascending/descending/the same is some kind of hint...?

#9 | Back to Top10-18-2012 05:54:57 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

** SPOILERS **
This post will reveal the entire worked solution to this riddle.  If you're still working on it, stop reading here!

This riddle really begins with the clues, but the diagram is eyecatching, so let's start there.  How do we describe the diagram?  Well, it looks like a number line.  Every fifth unit is marked in bold, every tenth unit is marked in extra-bold, and there is one unit marked bolder than any of the others.  Beyond that especially bold unit, there are twelve more units and a fraction.   Aha!  This is probably a timeline.  The especially bold unit is the year 2000, and the timeline leads up to the present day, sometime in the middle of 2012.  Counting backwards, we see that the timeline starts at the beginning of 1966.

Periodically along the timeline, there are red dots associated with numbers.  We can't do anything with these yet, but it's interesting to note that there are eleven dots, which matches the number of clues.  Probably each clue somehow gets associated with a dot on the timeline.

The clues are all begging us to figure out who they are, and the Riddler likewise tells us about an “identity crisis.”  Well, let's indulge them.  These clues all sound like song titles – in fact, they're all the titles of singles (“every single thought is out of order”).  Perhaps we should resolve the identity crisis by figuring out who performed the singles.

At this point we would like to check our hunch, and we are encouraged to notice that “Don't You Forget About Me” is a famous song by the band Simple Minds.  Simple Minds is a six-letter word followed by a five-letter word, matching the numbers 6 5 beside the clue.  According to Wikipedia, the single was released in February 1985, and indeed, there is a dot on the timeline just where it should be.  (It's accompanied by the number 7.  We'll worry about this later.)

We would like to figure out the performers of all of these songs to solve the identity crisis, but unfortunately, most of these titles have been used for more than one song.  Happily, we can resolve the ambiguity using the numbers next to the clues.  For instance, “This Is Who I Am” has been used for songs by Third Day, Vanessa Amorosi, and Lil Kim, among others – but only Vanessa Amorosi's name matches the numbers 7 7 next to the clue.  That single was released on October 9, 2009, which will match up with one of the three closely spaced dots on the number line.

Using this process, we can figure out every performer's name and put them in their proper place on the timeline.  In chronological order and followed by their timeline numbers, this gives us:

Who Am I?: Oct 1966, PETULA CLARK (1)
Nobody But Me: Sep 1967, THE HUMAN BEINZ (5)
Don't You Forget About Me: Feb 1985, SIMPLE MINDS (7)
What's My Name?: Oct 1993, SNOOP DOGGY DOGG (5)
Remember Me: Jun 2002, HOOBASTANK (10)
Who Am I: Oct 2003, CASTING CROWNS (5)
You Know My Name: Nov 2006, CHRIS CORNELL (9)
I Am Who I Am: Sep 2009, THE CAB (6)
This Is Who I Am: Oct 2009, VANESSA AMOROSI (12)
Who I Am: Dec 2009, NICK JONAS AND THE ADMINISTRATION (18)
Remember My Name: Jun 2012, CHRIS BROWN (6)

Now that we've solved the “identity crisis” and put Two-Face's “every single thought” back “in order,” we need to answer the final question: “How far can he count on you?”  We have to use the timeline numbers to count into the name of the performer.  For instance, Petula Clark's number is 1, and letter number 1 of her name is P.  The Human Beinz' number is 5, and letter number 5 of their name is U.

Continuing in this way, we arrive letter-by-letter at the answer, PUMPKIN BOMB.

Board footer