This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-27-2014 07:34:33 PM

Rosesareawesome101
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

[Review]Edge of Tomorrow

Edge of Tomorrow is a movie that a majority of the public has't seen at cinemas, while the piece of shit that's Transformers 4 is dominating the box office for the duration of the winter season, this movie is getting almost no attention and I could see why; this movie's concept has been done before in many different ways as I'll further elaborate in part 1.

Part 1: Have I seen this movie before.
This movie feels a combination of different concepts from other well known stories blended into a singular story, to sumarize; it has space marines clad in exoskeletons like in Starship troopers(the novel) and other Military sc-fi stories like Aliens, Halo, Gears of war, starcraft and Warhammer 40k so it not like it been done before in sc-fi stories.
The Groundhog day loop has been done before too in several stories like in the Harold Ramis's Groundhog Day, Majora's mask, Haruhi Suzumiya just to name a few but the groundhog day loop in this movie case actual hurts it in a way.

Part 2: Everyday is the same.
Much of the movie revolves around the trials of Major Cage as he tries to progress through the plot, the movie follow the typical structure of Groundhog day loop story, the first day of the cycle is usually the worse and the days after get progressive better as the hero gain knowledge; the problem with how the movie handles the Groundhog day loop is that scenes get repeated more often then not beyond the first day and because the movie's plot progresses via this Groundhog day loop; it effects the the replayability of the film in general and that's bad thing because it would make it be the kind of movie you would only watch once and that credibility of the movie after it's initial in the cinemas, nobody wants to watch a movie that repeats the same scenes several time varying degrees of alterations. It does't help that the character are 2 dimensional at best which moves on to the next point

Part 3: 3d is better to 2d
The mark of a great movie is well develop characters and arcs, while Cage the protagonist does have character arcs, it as basic as going from a wimpy Major to a badass space marine over the course of the films, there's no depth to his character arc and backstory and Rita Vrataski the Deuteragonist of the film is a badass with a stoic personality that does't really have a proper character arc. the side character are nothing talk home about, generic space marines composed of archetype we've seen, a black sergent naned Farell from kentucky and general that only appeared two times in the film.

Part 4: Characters>Plot
Edge of Tomorrow is a movie that seams to be driven by it's plot then it characters, this is a bad because it effects how the viewers relates to the character, if the characters are bland and forgettable like in the case of this movie, then it going hard people to follow the plot from a emotional stand, nobody care the space marines when they died during the climax, nobody cared about the fact that rita was unable to save a squadmate back when she had cage's power, the character are 2 dimensional and lack any noticeably flaw aside from cage's wimpyness at the begining of the film but he overcame that flaw ultimatly.

Part 5: How to not deliverer dialogue
Another with this movie is that despite the cast of establish actor like Tom Cruise and Emilly Blunt, The Dialogue in this film is delivered awkwardly, it's not Pacific Rim levels of cringe worthy but the dialogue is still pretty stilted in how it's was delivered, A lot of Emily Blunt's lines for example like when Rita was telling Cage to meet her in the next cycle, the dialogue was told in a low note and lack any emphasis to it, a lot of Tom Cruise's acting in earlier parts of the film sounded pretty off.

Part 6: Summary and Minor points regarding the movie.
This movie was pretty average, I've a focus a majority of this review on the plot and character, I just point out some point mentioned before I end this review:
6.1. The action scenes are decent but forgettable and too short for my liking
6.2  The ending was terrible and lack any proper resolution for the character
6.3 Will Guardians of the Galaxy saved the Winter/Summer season terms of decent action movie.
All of that aside, the point of this review is to sort of elaborate on why this movie bombed in comparison to other movies, while there's is probably better like Tom Cruise's reputation but I personally think as someone sawed the movie on the Sunday the week before last weak.

If there's is anything I need to correct, please let me know and I'll edit the post in your favor.

#2 | Back to Top07-27-2014 08:00:15 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: [Review]Edge of Tomorrow

I actually disagree pretty strongly. For an action flick under the time constraints of a film, I remember all the characters and their personalities and the roles they served, felt the pacing via time loops was both efficient and fun to watch, and that, as Nova mentioned in another thread, it doesn't bog itself down in the tried and true but expected time loop story angst and hopelessness.  You don't feel sorrow for every single death because it isn't really meant to be a heavy drama like that.

Rita is introduced as a soldier and a mentor, and she stays that way even when the film touches upon her backstory and more emotional side; damning "female character development" that often marks a female lead as having shown her soft, cushy weakness, making now it appropriate for the male lead to surpass, save, and sex the badass.  Cruise doesn't "outgrow" her in skill and knowledge despite his ability, her talents and his respect for them never waver, and while sexy, she's never a sexual lamp.  She retains agency, personality and makes her own complex decisions throughout the film.  As far as I'm concerned, there were many chances for this film to fall back on shitty everyman-action hero tropes and it avoided most of them. 

There's even a second female character hanging out in the barracks just, you know, being an endearing side character no one is fucking. In a military sci-fi action flicketc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#3 | Back to Top07-28-2014 12:36:49 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Re: [Review]Edge of Tomorrow

Yeah, no, I really liked Edge of Tomorrow.  Just today a friend and I were talking about how it really handles the "I know you better than you know me" relationship drama really well, I adore that scene at the farmhouse and how melancholic and unsettling it is.  Sure, the movie's more focused on plot than characters, but it's a high-premise sci-fi action flick, not a meditative character drama.

But the characters absolutely get arcs, you just have to pay attention to them.  Cruise's development isn't so much from wimp to badass, he never quite hits the latter, he just savescums like a motherfucker.  It's much more about how he starts to take ownership of the situation rather than avoiding it, and how he deals with the emotional fatigue inherent in watching the same people die over and over, becoming more and more familiar with them as he remains virtually a stranger to them.

And yes, the characters have defined personalities, it's just that they never have a super-melodramatic flashback to tell you what their traits are, and they aren't overblown, and they aren't paired with iconic visual references.  Rita has a complicated relationship with the image that the military produces of her.  Cruise begins and ends the movie as kind of an irreverent jerk.  It's a single movie with an action focus, so it doesn't go into great detail, but they're not without both consistency and nuance.

I guess part of it is… why would you hold a high-premise sci-fi action flick up to the standards of a meditative character melodrama?  That's not what it is, and that's not what it's trying to be.  As far as I'm concerned, it executed its premise really well and was a really satisfying movie.  And as far as "originality" goes… okay, so the components can be seen elsewhere.  So what?  That is true of literally every story we have access to, and the way they're combined here, along with some really enjoyable aversion of Dumb Things (it's not ridiculously America-centric! female characters! inventive alien design! post-apocalyptic France! really nice visuals!) feels fresh and engaging.

No, I think the reason it didn't out-perform Transformers is a) being as cerebral as it is (not the top of the food chain, not the bottom either) relegates it to a smaller audience anyways, b) a good chunk of that smaller prospective audience is iffy about Cruise, and c) it got the world's blandest title.  In general, I got the sense that no one really knew how to market it.

Personally I would've taken the OMG HALO MOVIE GUYS cut of the trailer and spammed the video game movie sites, but I can't guarantee that would've done any better.  And Dat Title.  It's just.  Not offensively bad, but I still have a hard time remembering it.  I'll be like, "that movie where Tom Cruise isn't a space marine ('cause no space) in France, you know, with the savescumming?"

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

Board footer