This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top09-01-2013 02:57:36 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

I really, really want a couple of those teacups. If someone could wrangle Japanese for me, I'd be delighted to pay a commission. One problem: I'm in Australia so there'd be an additional hassle sending the order on. Money in advance is not a problem. emot-smile

EDIT: what's that circular-looking box with Utena and Anthy? Are those coasters or something like? emot-confused

Last edited by crystalwren (09-01-2013 02:59:35 AM)

#52 | Back to Top09-01-2013 03:15:19 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

If that's what I'm thinking of, it's tea.

Rose tea.

Yes, rose tea.

I KNOW RIGHT OMG I'M GETTING

Anyway. Dignity re-established. Moving forward. Um, if you want something, Gio and I will definitely try our best to get it to you. There's like a flat rate per shipment? Or close to? Anyway, Celga will keep all our shit in a warehouse until they can bundle it up and send it. So... savings with bundles! Sad part is that everything would come to Canada instead of the US, but it's not that much more of a charge for us to ship from here (and I love you all but we're not sending things from here for free).

So. Everyone figure what you want from the Japanese sites that Celga can buy from and we'll go from there. If a bunch of us go in on it, it's guaranteed to cost less than shipping direct from Celga Japan.

Also, teacups. And tumblers. Seriously, from the amount of drama alone I'm agitating for fucking tumblrs I mean tumblers for me am i rite

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#53 | Back to Top09-01-2013 03:20:00 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

crystalwren wrote:

I really, really want a couple of those teacups. If someone could wrangle Japanese for me, I'd be delighted to pay a commission. One problem: I'm in Australia so there'd be an additional hassle sending the order on. Money in advance is not a problem. emot-smile

SO! Because you're in Australia the shipping if we order for you would probably end up paying more, because the shipping from here to Australia would suck balls. We'll do it if you like, but in the interest of saving you money, once I've gone through the ordering process with Celga (which doesn't require you read or do anything in Japanese), I can walk you through the process of doing it yourself and getting it from Celga. Whichever you feel more comfortable/cheap with is fine, but just wanna give you the option. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#54 | Back to Top09-03-2013 08:46:19 AM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

I bought the 'Hardcore of Utena' Booklet on Y!J through a deputy recently and am placing a shipping order today, so I can give a run down of what's in it soon.  Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner at the moment, but will definitely post pics for some of the artwork in it.

Also, the 8th item down in the list on the Movic page (http://www.movic.jp/info/utena/) is a really nice copy of the settei or character designs for the series, just in case anyone was wondering (I ended up buying a copy not knowing exactly what was in it, so just thought I would share).  It's of a much better quality than some of the copy of copy sets I've seen on Y!J.

#55 | Back to Top09-04-2013 01:34:05 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I wish someone would get the idea to make poseable Utena figures -- I would throw money at Tamashii Nations or Max Factory/GoodSmile for an Utena figure. Just saying.

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#56 | Back to Top09-05-2013 08:07:06 AM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

http://www.movic.jp/uploadimages/item25703_1.jpg

These seem to be new. emot-aaa At least, new to me. They're pretty!
http://www.movic.jp/index.php?ctrl=sheet&code=25703

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#57 | Back to Top09-05-2013 03:53:30 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Lovely! But they look very fragile and I'd be too afraid to use them.

#58 | Back to Top09-07-2013 06:50:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Unf. I like those glasses.

Oh yeah, we bought the new Utena sheet music book, so we'll have new sheet music scans for y'all when we get it. emot-keke

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#59 | Back to Top09-07-2013 11:59:32 PM

Arybaisser
New Student

Those glasses look so classy, I'm way too tempted. Oh, man, and they have a rerelease of Juri's locket, too, looks like.... I've pined after the original for forever, haha. If they come out with a new version of Nanami's cowbell I'll probably die laughing.

#60 | Back to Top09-08-2013 01:46:43 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Uh, Arybaisser, I think you mean "fall to my knees in gratitude for the best swag ever" emot-biggrin

#61 | Back to Top09-08-2013 02:02:57 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

HonorableShadow wrote:

OOooooh!

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#62 | Back to Top09-08-2013 04:03:01 AM

Kirin Lemon
Saionji Slapper

HonorableShadow wrote:

Yeah, these are beautiful.  I picked them up at the final Utena tour event in Osaka a couple weeks back.  The event itself was AMAZING, by the way - the best bit for me was seeing some of the actual paintings used in the opening sequence for the film.  Absolutely beautiful.

I also picked up the Juri locket, some postcards, file folders, the rose tea, and a couple other items I can't quite remember right now.  I was beyond fortunate to have moved to an area right outside Osaka at just the right time.

#63 | Back to Top09-08-2013 04:08:29 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh wow, awesome! So envious!

If you don't mind, could you maybe grab us some swag shots? I'd love to see the locket up close...

#64 | Back to Top09-09-2013 12:19:53 AM

Kirin Lemon
Saionji Slapper

Yasha wrote:

Oh wow, awesome! So envious!

If you don't mind, could you maybe grab us some swag shots? I'd love to see the locket up close...

Yeah, definitely!  It might be a bit, on account of my hectic schedule this week, but I'll most assuredly post 'em when I get the chance.  Oh, and I forgot about the keychains - got me some rubber keychains also.  I would have picked up one of the carabiners too (they had Chu-Chu, a shadow girl, and the rose with Utena/Anthy silhouettes), but they looked to be made really cheaply, and were unreasonably priced at 1200-ish yen each.

I sneakily snapped a couple pictures of the exhibit, too, against the wishes of all the guards walking around.  Got one of two of the movie paintings, and some other production materials.  And of course the Utena and Anthy outfits.

Last edited by Kirin Lemon (09-09-2013 12:21:23 AM)

#65 | Back to Top09-09-2013 02:46:14 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Awesome! I await these pictures with bated breath etc-love

#66 | Back to Top09-09-2013 04:26:07 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://i.imgur.com/60hog0o.jpg

This is a thing that exists in this world and now that I have seen it, I would commit unspeakable human atrocities to have it.

Ikuhara, seriously, if there are any small countries you don't take a shine to, we can arrange something.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#67 | Back to Top09-09-2013 08:43:54 AM

Kirin Lemon
Saionji Slapper

Giovanna wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/60hog0o.jpg

This is a thing that exists in this world and now that I have seen it, I would commit unspeakable human atrocities to have it.

Ikuhara, seriously, if there are any small countries you don't take a shine to, we can arrange something.

That thing was right in front of me. Sorry I didn't run off with it for you. emot-frown

#68 | Back to Top09-10-2013 01:25:40 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

It's okay, we'll draw upon our massive supervillain resources to obtain it.

...oh, wait... emot-frown

Humor aside, I'm just so stoked that someone here was actually able to go! When you post the pictures, would you mind if I put them on tumblr? I'd love to be able to share them with the other part of the fandom.

#69 | Back to Top09-13-2013 04:12:21 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Soooooooooooo... I've taken the Celga plunge. $122 USD for two tea cups and a set of those glasses. That's without postage to Australia. Holy shit, this is going to cost me a fortune.

Also, have any of you seen this yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Utena-Sketch-Bo … 4d12755b63

I really want the Bara no Zenbo art book but I'm not going to spend $250 on the thing.

#70 | Back to Top09-14-2013 12:05:58 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ahahaha I have a copy of that that's literally been torn apart to be scanned. A good chunk of the artwork in the gallery is from that book. It had weak binding anyway. It must be rare in Japan too, I rarely see it on Yahoo! Auction.

#71 | Back to Top09-16-2013 01:28:07 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Ahahaha I have a copy of that that's literally been torn apart to be scanned. A good chunk of the artwork in the gallery is from that book. It had weak binding anyway. It must be rare in Japan too, I rarely see it on Yahoo! Auction.

It seems that there's a 2013 edition out, because ehbah is suddenly drowning in them.

Postage to Australia is $22. So in total I've spent USD$133, or just over AU$147. For two tea cups and a set of glasses. These had better be good, otherwise I am going to be so pissed off.

Last edited by crystalwren (09-16-2013 01:28:31 AM)

#72 | Back to Top09-16-2013 06:37:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

cscratch wrote:

I bought the 'Hardcore of Utena' Booklet on Y!J through a deputy recently and am placing a shipping order today, so I can give a run down of what's in it soon.  Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner at the moment, but will definitely post pics for some of the artwork in it.

:holding breath:

Kirin Lemon wrote:

That thing was right in front of me. Sorry I didn't run off with it for you. emot-frown

You're a jerk. emot-mad

(jk)

#73 | Back to Top09-18-2013 08:52:59 AM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

So the Hard Core of Utena book set is definitely not a pamphlet - it's a huge book set.  When it arrived yesterday, I was really surprised by the weight of the package and now I can see why.  Basically, the set is three books:

1) Animation Side - 264 page book with animation stills, shots of cels & sketches (assuming this is ones selected for the exhibit and others the studio still had hanging around), backgrounds, storyboards, character designs, layouts, etc from the TV show & movie.

2) Illustration side - 174 page book that contains a lot of the promotional artwork into magazines, various products, DVD's, etc.  Beautiful hanken cels pics & sketches from hankens that I don't remember seeing in the past.

3) Supplemental Limited Edition - 43 page booklet that contains sketches from the game, more hankens, & the little manga book that Bepapas put out in a Newtype, I think (so not the Saito manga - I could check the gallery, but I'm too lazy)?

The books have a soft cover & the binding does not seem that great - many openings & closings is bound to wear out quickly.  The pages are semi-gloss and the paper is really nice for these.

Since I don't have a scanner, I am just photographing the pages as best I can to give a kind of photo tour as to what is in each one of them.  I just put them on flickr if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13638589@N … 617465313/

Last night, I was only able to get through the Supplemental booklet & half of the Animation book.  I will try to work on finishing the animation book tonight and maybe the Illustration book tomorrow.

Last edited by cscratch (09-18-2013 08:55:42 AM)

#74 | Back to Top09-18-2013 02:17:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh...

Oh crap. emot-frown Definitely stuff I don't have here. The cel images are gorgeous. If this keeps up on the illustration side I'm screwed. Not only will I need this, but I'll have to sacrifice it on the altar of flatbed. emot-frown

Thank you sososososososo much. Even without the missing art, it looks like an awesome piece of work. I don't understand, though...is this official merch or is it fanmade? emot-confused

#75 | Back to Top09-18-2013 03:30:39 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Well, it looks all nice & official, just with a crummy binding, imo.   All the cels that I have seen in the pics posted on blogs from people that went appear to be in these volumes.  Also, I have not seen a cel from private cel collections or auctions that I can remember from the past couple of years in here, which supports the idea that this is newly photographed production material retained by the studio.  Another thing that seems to support this it is that half of the auctions show a pink paper gift bag, as though the person purchased the set at one of the exhibits & that's the bags they had around for it.

All this is based on the assumption that the material offered at the events is going to be officially produced stuff & that these were sold at the events.

Unfortunately, I can't read Japanese, but here are a couple of quick crappy snaps of the back credits on the animation book if this helps any:

http://kittyfire.com/img/utena_book_back1.JPG
http://kittyfire.com/img/utena_book_back2.JPG

I'll post some better ones once I get to the end of the book.

I know that most of the time, you'd probably have to pull it apart to get nice scans of the pages, but since it's a soft cover you might be able to get away with just flattening it out.  It looks like the binding is going to break eventually anyway.   I took a pic to show you what I mean:

http://kittyfire.com/img/utena_book_binding.jpg

Either way, I'd be happy to help chip in a few bucks for something that needs to get into the gallery etc-love

Board footer