This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-11-2013 01:43:43 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Re: Nanami's Egg

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born. We are the chick. The world is our egg. If we don't crack the world's shell, we will die without ever truly being born. Smash the world's shell. FOR THE REVOLUTION OF THE WORLD!

The egg is the coffin. The coffin is childhood. In this case, it represents Nanami's fixation with Touga.

Just as Hesse's Demian must emerge from the world of bourgeouisie illusion and ascend into spiritual truth, Nanami must break from her comfortable fantasy of surrogate paternalism in order to find freedom. At the beginning of the episode, she discovers a mysterious egg. Though its origin and intent are unclear, she immediately begins interpreting its significance. She can't figure out if it's supposed to entail responsibility, unpredictability, maternity, or shame. It becomes symbolic of all the ideas that represent adulthood.

Despite her conflict over its meaning, she cherishes and protects the egg - much as she does her childish idealization of her brother. Others attempt to question or attack it. These barrages only make her dogged devotion fiercer. However, in the end, it is that very safeguarding that ends up shattering the shell of her egg (i.e. she squished it under her pillow).

She is freed only when something precious to her is destroyed. Nanami's Egg foreshadows not just what the titular character will eventually endure, but every character in the series. For each of them has their own egg to shatter.

By the way, I retrieved all of this wonderful information from a very reliable source: my ass. school-sherlock

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#27 | Back to Top09-11-2013 02:54:27 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

You're a horrible person. emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top05-28-2016 02:39:04 PM

deeds24
Miki Molester

Katzenklavier wrote:

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born. We are the chick. The world is our egg. If we don't crack the world's shell, we will die without ever truly being born. Smash the world's shell. FOR THE REVOLUTION OF THE WORLD!

The egg is the coffin. The coffin is childhood. In this case, it represents Nanami's fixation with Touga.

Just as Hesse's Demian must emerge from the world of bourgeouisie illusion and ascend into spiritual truth, Nanami must break from her comfortable fantasy of surrogate paternalism in order to find freedom. At the beginning of the episode, she discovers a mysterious egg. Though its origin and intent are unclear, she immediately begins interpreting its significance. She can't figure out if it's supposed to entail responsibility, unpredictability, maternity, or shame. It becomes symbolic of all the ideas that represent adulthood.

Despite her conflict over its meaning, she cherishes and protects the egg - much as she does her childish idealization of her brother. Others attempt to question or attack it. These barrages only make her dogged devotion fiercer. However, in the end, it is that very safeguarding that ends up shattering the shell of her egg (i.e. she squished it under her pillow).

She is freed only when something precious to her is destroyed. Nanami's Egg foreshadows not just what the titular character will eventually endure, but every character in the series. For each of them has their own egg to shatter.

By the way, I retrieved all of this wonderful information from a very reliable source: my ass. school-sherlock

This reminds me of the girl's egg in Angel's Egg. Part of the main conflict in the film is that the girl doesn't want to crack open the egg despite a man's suggestion to open it to find out its contents. She carries the egg around with her for the majority of the film and it becomes apparent that the egg is precious to her. Even the man says "Keep precious things inside you or you will lose them," which implies the egg being the precious object. I don't know if this is a common trope with eggs being symbolic of precious objects, but seeing this similarity leads me to agree with Katzenklavier's comment concerning the shattering of eggs.

#29 | Back to Top05-28-2016 06:36:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

deeds24 wrote:

Angel's Egg

I'm pretty sure this episode is fully intended to be a direct reference to that. It hits too many similar points not to be.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#30 | Back to Top05-28-2016 06:50:14 PM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

Raven Nightshade wrote:

deeds24 wrote:

Angel's Egg

I'm pretty sure this episode is fully intended to be a direct reference to that. It hits too many similar points not to be.

And the boy in that certainly resembles Dios, both in design- dark skin, pale hair- and in role- a divinity dubiously comforting/helping a little girl.

#31 | Back to Top05-29-2016 10:53:34 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Note that Anthy and Chu Chu are always the ones who play pranks on every student council member. So it was Anthy who was up to this. Also the Egg episode teaches young girls about dealing with menstrual cycles and having sex for thr first time, pretty much. One girl did say in the episode that "Nanami's on it pretty late" or something like that.

Last edited by ShiningSanctum1 (05-29-2016 10:55:04 AM)

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Board footer