This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top06-11-2007 10:27:29 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Sharing articles

dollface wrote:

Come to life, o merciful thread!

I felt a need to share this. Yes, the military actually believed they could create a Gay Bomb. What is the world coming to? emot-rolleyes

.. emot-gonk Wouldn't "sex bomb" be more appropriate, and far less offensive?

#52 | Back to Top06-12-2007 07:11:45 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Well, I tried to post a video of bat eared foxes, cuz they're too cute, but I don't understand the forum syntax well enough. emot-frown The video is on the Yahoo! news page if you want to see it.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#53 | Back to Top06-12-2007 08:27:15 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I love how they seem to think that gays thrive on sex. Like they never take a break for some Starbucks or to go shoe-shopping emot-rolleyes

I can't help but hope it accidentally goes off in the labs.

"Tonight at Five. Our top story : Raging Homosexuality is spreading like wildfire in the bowels of the Pentagon research facilities. Washington Officials refused to comment tonight...wait, what's this? I've just recieved word that we have just released footage of scientists and research assistants performing very explicit acts."

"...The President was unavailable for comment at this time."

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#54 | Back to Top06-12-2007 09:31:10 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Ah, dollface, in a perfect world, that's how it would go..."raging homosexuality" lol!

-Truck North

#55 | Back to Top06-12-2007 09:39:11 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

dollface wrote:

I love how they seem to think that gays thrive on sex.

Sounds like that episode of South Park where homeless people survive entirely on change. Everyone knows those queers do nothing but have sex and watch Bravo. emot-rolleyes

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#56 | Back to Top06-12-2007 09:43:25 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

And you guys are forgetting that gay men have sex exclusively with otherwise straight children!

-Truck North

#57 | Back to Top06-12-2007 09:50:38 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

And you guys are forgetting that gay men have sex exclusively with otherwise straight children!

Oh God...
That's the prejudice that annoys (and offends) me the most.

Another one you have forgotten: gays want to rule the world and destroy hetero families!
Wait... weren't they busy having sex? emot-confused

Last edited by Asfalolh (06-12-2007 09:53:20 AM)

#58 | Back to Top06-12-2007 02:48:31 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Asfalolh wrote:

Another one you have forgotten: gays want to rule the world and destroy hetero families!
Wait... weren't they busy having sex? emot-confused

Well, the gay men have sex while the lesbians adopt children and raise their lesbian army by genetically engineering their eggs.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#59 | Back to Top06-12-2007 08:37:05 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Hey, I've seen Vandread, I know all about it!

-Truck North

#60 | Back to Top06-12-2007 09:08:29 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm getting pretty sick of all the stupidity concerning homosexuality these days. A Gay Bomb is just ridiculous, and earlier today I found out that some parents have been sending my teacher emails calling her irresponsible for allowing their children to be exposed to the material that she was teaching. Apparently they weren't happy because there was a part in the book The Chocolate Wars that discussed homosexuality.

A little while ago, there was a discussion on this forum about reading books about the holocaust and slavery in school. We look back on these events and feel ashamed that humans had ever been so simple minded to treat people differently because of their religion and race. Despite that, we haven't progressed at all. We're still stuck with the same line of thinking as we were in the civil war, and most people are too dense to notice the connection. Homophobia is just as bad as racism. How aren't people able to realize this yet? I think that reading books about homosexuality should be required reading.

Sorry for the rant.

#61 | Back to Top06-12-2007 09:14:41 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

The sad fact is that even though people are more aware of racism today than thirty years ago, actual progress has been pretty minimal there too.  School integration has been a despicable failure.  Racial segregation and inequality haven't gone away, or diminished much, and we still pretty much hate each other.  I'm actually more hopeful about homophobia than I am about racism.  If this current surge of religious zealotry and hatred subsides, it may wash a lot of the homophobia away with it, but racism is here to stay.  emot-frown

-Truck North

#62 | Back to Top06-13-2007 05:55:54 AM

dollface
Website

You think so, Stormcrow? Because I'm pretty sure that Homophobia is here to stay. Once again, religion seems to win out over all [yes, I blame religion for many things, but this time, rightfully so!], and as sad as it is that we still have racism, in the end, religious intolerance seems to be justifiable to people. As far as I know, there is no religion with negative prospects toward other races. But, to quote the "Holy" Book:

Leviticus 18:22 wrote:

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

You know what? I take back what I said. I think hatred is here to stay. emot-frown emot-mad emot-frown

#63 | Back to Top06-13-2007 06:41:43 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Unfortunately, racism is institutionalized in some religious canon, and if not there, you don't have to dig very far.  For example, Hebrew folklore teaches that the peoples of sub-Saharan Africa are descended from Noah's wicked son (I forget his name), and the curse placed on him for raping Noah has caused his descendants to have dark skin, red eyes, and "shamefully long" penises.  Similar stories abound regarding the distinct heritages of Ishmael (Arabs) and Isaac (Hebrews).  In fact, there are some unfortunate things right in the Qu'ran about Jews and how they're not very trustworthy.  Paul had a word or two about the Jews as well.

The moral of the story:
"A Buddhist, a Muslim, a nun and a Jew were trapped in a hot air balloon,
It suddenly popped,
And though they prayed as it dropped,
It proves that god hates us all!"emot-tongue

-Truck North

#64 | Back to Top06-13-2007 07:07:31 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

Unfortunately, racism is institutionalized in some religious canon, and if not there, you don't have to dig very far.  For example, Hebrew folklore teaches that the peoples of sub-Saharan Africa are descended from Noah's wicked son (I forget his name), and the curse placed on him for raping Noah has caused his descendants to have dark skin, red eyes, and "shamefully long" penises.  Similar stories abound regarding the distinct heritages of Ishmael (Arabs) and Isaac (Hebrews).  In fact, there are some unfortunate things right in the Qu'ran about Jews and how they're not very trustworthy.  Paul had a word or two about the Jews as well.

Are you talking about Cam, maybe? (Gn 9, 22) I confess I always end up confused when I read this fragment.

And on the Qu'ran: there are suwah that point out how away Jews are from Allah, etc. But there are also the ones that recognize the precedent that Jews had set on monotheism (QIII, 84). Probably there are a lot more anti- than pro-. But as always, it can be read in multiple ways.
Same with the Leviticus!

No, I'm not a religious person, neither an expert on the topic emot-tongue. But I really believe that if society is predisposed, religion will not be an obstacle -opposite to religious institutions.
Am I too optimist?

Edit: Damn spelling emot-frown

Last edited by Asfalolh (06-13-2007 07:19:17 AM)

#65 | Back to Top06-13-2007 07:20:15 AM

dollface
Website

Well, don't I feel uneducated emot-gonk The other heretics are going to be so disappointed.

And Asfalolh, there's nothing wrong with thinking positively. If you get a hold of hope, hang on! It'll keep you from drowning, like I did. [How poetic. How emo as well.]

#66 | Back to Top06-13-2007 01:06:46 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

The religion thing is just an excuse for most people. Even if they've never set foot in a church, they'll still pull the, "God says homosexuality is wrong," excuse. It only says that in the Leviticus, which has so many fucked up laws that Christians don't even follow it anymore.

Overall, it's still the same issue as racism. People feel uncomfortable around those who are different than themselves, and they feel as though the bible is a way of justifying that feeling.

In order news, here's an article about a church that is suing a Sony for using the design for their church in a violent video game. And here's a Ctrl+Alt+Del comic that makes fun of this incident. I think it's pretty damn sad that the church is suing them, especially after the pope spoke out against suing.

#67 | Back to Top06-13-2007 03:06:37 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Razara wrote:

...the pope spoke out against suing.

Seriously?  Benedict or John Paul?

-Truck North

#68 | Back to Top06-13-2007 03:11:26 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Stormcrow wrote:

Razara wrote:

...the pope spoke out against suing.

Seriously?  Benedict or John Paul?

I'm not sure, but that's what my mother told me. All the lawsuits these days really are getting out of hand. If you spill coffee on yourself, that's your own damn fault.

#69 | Back to Top06-13-2007 03:23:04 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

A friend claimed that the coffee thing was due to the coffee served at the drive-thru being significantly hotter than the coffee served at the counter.  Sounds a little fishy, any McPloyees around here?

On the other hand, if you fall off of a roof while trying to break into a house and break your leg, that is most definitely your own stupid fault.

Is there any chance of us getting a head-shaking emoticon?  I find myself wanting one more and more.

And emoticon totally sounds like some new transformers villains.emot-biggrin

-Truck North

#70 | Back to Top06-13-2007 03:46:39 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I can't speak from the point of someone who ever worked there, but I can speak from the point of view of someone who burned their mouth on Mcdonald's coffee before, and that's where it's supposed to go. I've had Mcdonald's coffee be hot to the point of undrinkability for an hour plus on a pretty regular basis, which is why I've learned my lesson about going there for breakfast. Every time that happened to me I inched a little closer to siding with the old lady.  That and things like this.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#71 | Back to Top06-13-2007 04:05:08 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Grrrr. That hot coffee thing makes me sick to my stomach. Everyone points it out as irresponsible litigation, but the fact is a 79 year old woman opened her coffee in a parked car and spilled it on her sweatpants, causing 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body.

Read here:

Wiki wrote:

Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin as she sat in the puddle of hot liquid for over 90 seconds, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[8] Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[9] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. Two years of treatment followed.

And here:

'Lectric Law Library wrote:

A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas.  She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

And here:

hurt911.org wrote:

McDonald's representatives lied to the court and jury about the existence of other claims, but documents showing that they knew of more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992 were admitted in to evidence. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonald's knowledge about the extent and nature of the intentionally created hazard.  McDonald's even ignored a request from the Shriner's Burn Institute in Cincinnati to turn down the temperature of its coffee.  McDonald's also said that based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Incredibly, McDonald's quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforced a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185 degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above, and that McDonald's coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat. The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonald's had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.  McDonald's also claimed that customers buy coffee on their way to work or home, intending to consume it there, however, the company’s own research showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while driving.

McDonalds ended up paying $640 000 when the judge and jury finished their deliberation. At one point, the jury had wanted to award her $2.7 million-- stated somewhere in these pages to be McDonald's profits from two days of coffee. Why? Well, because they found that the woman was using the coffee in exactly the manner that McDonald's had intended it to be used, and had even taken reasonable precautions against spillage (keeping it between her legs to stabilize it), and despite that had ended up with a $20 000 debt due to her burn injuries.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#72 | Back to Top06-13-2007 04:17:01 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Hmm... No one ever told me that side of the story. (Go figure.)

Okay, then let's go with the guy who broke his leg while trying to break into someone's house. Or the woman who sued my aunt for falling on her stairs (there were like two or three steps) and sued her because she chipped her tooth. That's her own damn fault.

I don't like lawyers. Those Jim Sockolove commercials always annoyed me. People make mistakes. It's human nature. You shouldn't get a ridiculous amount of money for it, other than the amount to cover the damage. It's blood money. (I still remember my grandmother telling me when I grew up that I should marry a doctor or a lawyer. When I said, "But what if I love someone else?" She seriously said, "Well, marry him anyway." WTF?)

#73 | Back to Top06-13-2007 05:12:58 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Ah, that confirms what I heard from my friend, thanks Yasha.  I'm generally not opposed to lawsuits against corporations, because I know that they'd blithely sell our organs if they could figure out how.  Lawsuits against individuals worry me a little more.  And yes, the stereotype is true, about 80% of my Jewish childhood friends have gone into law or medicine professionally.  Mostly law.

-Truck North

#74 | Back to Top06-13-2007 05:28:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Razara wrote:

I think it's pretty damn sad that the church is suing them, especially after the pope spoke out against suing.

Yeah, but that's the Church of England, they've been giving the one-finger salute to the Vatican since Henry VIII's first divorce.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#75 | Back to Top06-14-2007 02:40:22 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Third degree burn from coffee? emot-gonk Yick. Yet another reason for me to despise Mcdonalds.

On the racism/homphobia/bigotry topic..

I idealistically believe that homosexuality will become more and more accepted as time goes on. However, look at racism and sexism.. we've certainly gotten better about it, but it still exists. We still have a lot of work to do. But sadly, I think some form of bigotry will always exist.

You know.. I recall reading about something (on gaia, haha) that someone quoted somewhere about someone demanding pedophile rights just like homosexual rights. Said person quoting this was trying to scare people into believing that if we accept homosexuality, then sooner or later, we have to accept pedophilia too! Oh, and then what's to stop us from embracing bestiality next?! emot-rolleyes

At first when I read that, it made me think for a moment.. but then I realized that it was just a stupid scare tactic, and sexual acts involving two members of the same sex is definitely different than sex with an adult and child, or sex with a human and an animal. With children, they're too young and naive to know what they're doing. Sex with an adult and child is not an equal playing field. Neither is sex with a human and animal, especially since they can't even communicate. When it comes to sex and romance, things should be pretty equal, or at least close to equal, right?

However, sex with a man and women, man and man, or woman and woman, are all consentual and equal. Unless, of course, it's not. Then that's another story all together.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense. I wasn't sure how to word all of that. emot-frown

Board footer