This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-10-2006 12:02:04 PM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Romeo et Juliet

I just felt like i should share this...

http://www.romejuli.jp/g_move640.html

emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

#2 | Back to Top12-10-2006 07:10:15 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Romeo et Juliet

Damn that one groovy movie trailer emot-keke I wanna see it!

#3 | Back to Top12-10-2006 07:19:49 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

my literary geek heart just stopped. emot-biggrin

(It looks like they're taking... liberties, but I love the world/character design and a Japanese take on Shakespeare should be badass!)

#4 | Back to Top12-10-2006 09:08:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OOO IT'S PRETTY AND SHINY

Also I dig the music.

Count me in. I'm totally not above watching this for the pretty. cool

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top12-11-2006 01:16:48 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

...dude. I love Shakespeare... RxJ wasn't my favorite but it was still fun... now if only they did Twelfth Night like that I'd be able to die happy.

I don't care what it takes, I will see this movie.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top12-11-2006 03:27:33 AM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

emot-aaa This looks good, and that's not just my current Romeo and Juliet fascination talking (although seeing it performed as ballet can do that... Benvolio's butt was hypnotic, btw.)

And now, a translated website!!
---
About
It shall not be two blades that cross, but two pure hearts...
This is the tale of the love between two youths.
However, it is perhaps a tale too tragic to call "love".

The stage is set in the levitating city of New Verona

Under the rule of the Capulet family,
In this place made proud by the prosperity brought by the grace of some mysterious power,
Peace has become a thing of the past,
Since the mutiny of the Montague family 14 years ago.

In the misadministration of a despot, the gap between rich and poor is plain as day.

Born of the blood of the Capulet dynasty,
And their single survivor - Juliet
The enemy of her parents - the dictator's son, Romeo

Cruel fate brings these two together, that they may fall in love.

Character
Romeo
Son of the current Archduke of New Verona
Disagreeing with his father's methods, he travels the city in order to see how the lower classes fare.
He has a fiancee, decided upon by his father, but, not knowing true love, he cannot commit.
He falls in love with Juliet, only to learn later that she is the daughter of the Capulets, whom his father destroyed.

Juliet
Raised as a beauty in boy's clothing,
She is a young woman steeped in righteousness, who will not leave behind those who rebel against the Montagues.
She grows up with the surviving retainers of the Capulet family, and on her sixteenth birthday is told the truth of her past.
Upon encountering Romeo, this maiden unknowing of love awakens to it.

Cast

Romeo: Masahiro Mizushima
Juliet: Shie Minazawa
Curio: Kousuke Torigai
Fransisco: Yasuo Yajima
Cordelia: Miu Matsurai (?) [I can't really work out the reading of the name]
Antonio: Ryou Hirobashi
Hermione: Sayaka Oohara
Montague: Yasuhide Ishii
Tybalt: Ryuutarou Okiai
Emilia: Ayako Kawasumi
Benvolio: Shinnosuke Tachibana
Mercutio: Tetsuya Kakihara
Porcia: Aya Hisagawa (?)
---

I'd do the production cast, but brain = teh fried tonight...

#7 | Back to Top12-11-2006 09:21:36 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Almaser wrote:

Raised as a beauty in boy's clothing

You know, far be it for me, an Utena fan, to say this...but is Japan completely incapable of producing a female lead that isn't dressed in boy's clothes? Seriously? No, I mean seriously??

It's starting to get a little played out now, like they want to spice things up with a really awesome cool dynamic and just throw us that. It worked the first eight times. It just seems really run of the mill scapegoat anymore, and I know this is Romeo and Juliet THE REMIX, but it doesn't even fit here.

I'll watch it anyway because it's pretty, but still. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top12-11-2006 11:24:51 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Almaser wrote:

Raised as a beauty in boy's clothing

You know, far be it for me, an Utena fan, to say this...but is Japan completely incapable of producing a female lead that isn't dressed in boy's clothes? Seriously? No, I mean seriously??

Oh, c'mon, Utena is 1 in 10000 >_> see all the shoujo protagonist...

#9 | Back to Top12-11-2006 03:46:17 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

It's about time they spiced up that damn love story!! Ahhh- I love Shakespeare, but in a world where Romeo and Juliet is about the only play you see done by him. It has gotten real boring real fast.

Last edited by Sevelle (12-11-2006 04:07:12 PM)

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#10 | Back to Top12-11-2006 03:56:34 PM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

OK, guys, um. I'm all for the action, for the awesomely cool designs, for the anime-ification of the story, but... what? Last of the Capulets? WHAT?

BUT THIS IS SHAKESPEARE. *dead*

I guess Twelfth Night didn't have enough opportunities for flying horses for 'em.

#11 | Back to Top12-11-2006 04:09:53 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

It's Romeo and Juliet. Why does everybody have to love that one . . . ?

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#12 | Back to Top12-11-2006 04:31:22 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm not a huge R&J fan. It's been way overdue for a beef injection of awesome.

I'll watch it.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#13 | Back to Top12-11-2006 05:19:55 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Oooo.... SHINY!

R&J in general is a crappy, crappy story that makes me want to ring the main characters' necks, but I'll put up with it foir the pretties.  And Juliet kicking the crap out of Romeo with a sword.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#14 | Back to Top12-11-2006 05:48:20 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I agree that Romeo and Juliet is one of Shakespeare's weaker plays. I myself don't like it very much, and I'm a Shakespeare fan (Hamlet rocks my socks off, and I was named after a character in one of his later plays). The problem was that Romeo and Juliet didn't have any tragic flaws, unlike any of Shakespeare's other heroes or heroines in his other tragedies. Romeo and Juliet were too perfect - they were immature, yes, but it is the flaws of their family members which end up leading to their demise, not their own tragic flaws.

Anyway, all that aside, this looks like a very promising adaptation. Its really nice to see Romeo and Juliet get an actual adaptation, not just some updating of it, but a full-on reimagining. And the animation is wicked pretty.

As an aside, why do people always want to be like Romeo and Juliet when in love? I mean, why do people want to be someone's Romeo? I mean, these guys commit suicide in the end, they don't end up happily ever after! Wouldn't you rather be, I don't know, Hermia and Lysander? They end up happily ever after, after all!

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#15 | Back to Top12-11-2006 05:51:56 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Turning Romeo and Juliet into an anime sounds like a wonderful idea. It certainly will be interesting to see the difference.

Is it wrong of me to think that Romeo and Juliet were both idiots?

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I don't believe in love at first sight. There can only be lust at first sight. How can you possibly know that you love a person just by looking at them? The Juliet that he fell in love with at first sight could have just as easily had a horrible personality, couldn't she?

And I'm sorry, but there's something wrong with the fact that after knowing each other for only three days, Romeo began to plan his suicide the moment he heard that Juliet had been killed. That's not romantic, that's just stupid.

The only character that I will give credit to is Juliet, because she actually considered what might happen before she acted. I absolutely love Juliet's soliloquy in Act 4, Scene 3. I wonder if the anime will include something like this? The movies are always cutting it out, which annoys me, because this is very important to Juliet's character... I mean, just imagine if they cut out Shiori's soliloquy! Or any of the Black Rose Duelists for that matter.

#16 | Back to Top12-11-2006 08:31:23 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

They were hormone driven kids. Even if you do take shorter lifespans and people getting married a lot earlier they probably couldn't be pinned much older than 22. The story/folk tale was popular among people roughly the same age as Romeo and Juliet and if anything is more appealing than galliant romantic love to teenagers it's martyrdome. I'm pretty sure suicide is right up there with drunk driving as a leading cause of preventable death in that age group.

R&J is two great tastes that go great together.

Of course it's stupid and the characters were stupid. People around that age (typically) aren't very bright.

#17 | Back to Top12-11-2006 09:59:42 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Razara wrote:

Turning Romeo and Juliet into an anime sounds like a wonderful idea. It certainly will be interesting to see the difference.

Is it wrong of me to think that Romeo and Juliet were both idiots?

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I don't believe in love at first sight. There can only be lust at first sight. How can you possibly know that you love a person just by looking at them? The Juliet that he fell in love with at first sight could have just as easily had a horrible personality, couldn't she?

And I'm sorry, but there's something wrong with the fact that after knowing each other for only three days, Romeo began to plan his suicide the moment he heard that Juliet had been killed. That's not romantic, that's just stupid.

The only character that I will give credit to is Juliet, because she actually considered what might happen before she acted. I absolutely love Juliet's soliloquy in Act 4, Scene 3. I wonder if the anime will include something like this? The movies are always cutting it out, which annoys me, because this is very important to Juliet's character... I mean, just imagine if they cut out Shiori's soliloquy! Or any of the Black Rose Duelists for that matter.

I don't think it's wrong to think they were idiots. I'm inclined to agree with you. I liked the play because it was funny.

#18 | Back to Top12-11-2006 10:46:01 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Hinotori wrote:

They were hormone driven kids. Even if you do take shorter lifespans and people getting married a lot earlier they probably couldn't be pinned much older than 22. The story/folk tale was popular among people roughly the same age as Romeo and Juliet and if anything is more appealing than galliant romantic love to teenagers it's martyrdome.

Dude, I read it when I was 14, and I thought they were being dumb then.

As for ages, Juliet was, at the very oldest, 14 in the play, and Romeo was 15 or 16.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#19 | Back to Top12-12-2006 06:38:06 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

That's why I said typically emot-tongue I'm assuming most people here are smarter than your average 14 year old girl.

And about the 23 thing. There's always some a-hole who jumps in and says, "BUT PEOPLE WERE LIVING A LOT SHORTER AND IT WAS NORMAL TO BE GETTING READY TO GROW UP AND HAVE KIDS AT 13!!1111" I was kind of preparing for that. ;x

#20 | Back to Top12-12-2006 07:04:32 AM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

I think it's generally supposed to illustrate how tragic and sudden and overwhelming (young) love can be. I mean, honestly, if you look at most romances ever depicted, there's not really a whole lot of reasoning going on there either, it just happens more slowly. Stories like R&J have been told for a very long time; you kind of have to abandon a modern sensibility and try to understand it on its own terms. Of course it's exaggerated - that's part of the point. Everything's amplified in theater.

I tend to tune out who's actually talking and pay attention to the friggin' awesome line/meter/imagery. The language is absolutely gorgeous. It helps if you're a poetry geek. emot-smile

All of that said, I can list like 10 plays of Shakespeare's off the top of my head which kick R&J's ass.

Last edited by Syna (12-12-2006 07:07:06 AM)

#21 | Back to Top12-12-2006 07:10:53 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

As an aside, why do people always want to be like Romeo and Juliet when in love?

I want to be Aaron and Tamora.  cool

...what?

I can appreciate R&J for what it is, but what it is really doesn't hold my interest all that much. It's not as mindnumbingly awesome as Hamlet, and not as amusingly violent and sordid as Titus. I do admit with some guilt that my handle on Shakespeare lines up kinda directly with my exposure of good film adaptations. I've never had the opportunity to see it performed live outside middle school drama clubs, and frankly, while I can appreciate the prose looking at a text, it feels about as effective as reading a movie script. You're just not supposed to experience the material that way. While purists tend to want to set me to the fires for it, I think a really well done film is better at getting the point across. Granted, there aren't a whole lot of those...(Keanu Reeves doing Shakespeare is like Keanu Reeves doing a Southern accent is like Keanu Reeves being in front of a camera at all. emot-gonk)

#22 | Back to Top12-12-2006 08:45:20 AM

Syna
Rose Bride
Website

I think it does work in script form in the sense that you can really appreciate the poetry of it, which you can't do as well in theater. But it is meant to be performed, and anyway, there are some damn good Shakespeare adaptations out there. Like, SERIOUS good. I've never really seen an author translated to screen that consistently well. So no shame. emot-biggrin

#23 | Back to Top12-12-2006 06:41:56 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Hinotori wrote:

Being in this ofrum has warped my innocent mind. emot-tongue You wrote Beef Injection and the first thing I thought of was Akio...how scary is that?

#24 | Back to Top12-12-2006 10:56:17 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Tamago wrote:

Hinotori wrote:

Being in this ofrum has warped my innocent mind. emot-tongue You wrote Beef Injection and the first thing I thought of was Akio...how scary is that?

It's not scary so much as it is completely normal.

#25 | Back to Top12-12-2006 11:00:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

You wrote Beef Injection and the first thing I thought of was Akio...how scary is that?

IN OHTORI ACADEMY, MEAT TENDERIZES YOU!

Board footer