This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-19-2007 08:21:34 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: Place your bets!

Giovanna wrote:

Post Ruka Juri would beat Shiori. But before that...

I think Juri, when she threw her locket into the lake (during Thorns of Death,) is the mindset that would beat Shiori. She was at that point attempting to move on, and of course Mikage mucks it all up. (Kinda like he screws over Wakaba and Saionji, but anyway.) Post Ruka, Juri's still on the fence about things and at the end of the series they seem to be sociable again, which could trigger an inability to duel like Utena facing Wakaba.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#27 | Back to Top05-19-2007 10:25:27 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Juri unable to duel Shiori? Now that got me curious to see a duel between Juri and Shiori. I think Juri can get over it... slowly, of course. If she couldn't duel like Utena facing Wakaba, why would Juri asks for Utena's picture for her new locket. (Of course, some people can argue that she was only joking at that point)

I think Touga would run in second if not tied with Juri as to having the potential to attain the power to revolutionize the world. He is, after all, the one who knows the most about the End of the World throughout the whole series besides Anthy and possibly Ruka.

Last edited by Hiraku (05-19-2007 10:27:05 PM)

#28 | Back to Top05-19-2007 11:51:54 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Hiraku wrote:

If she couldn't duel like Utena facing Wakaba, why would Juri asks for Utena's picture for her new locket.

Whether Juri really feels that way for Utena or not, her feelings for Shiori aren't going to evaporate. Utena doesn't have a locket with Wakaba's picture in it. emot-wink

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#29 | Back to Top05-20-2007 12:37:53 AM

Corpsegoddess
Anthy Assailer

I'd have to go with Touga, because he's the only one that really managed to fluster Utena, get behind her defenses.

That's strategy.

#30 | Back to Top05-20-2007 12:43:59 AM

Corpsegoddess
Anthy Assailer

Yasha wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Haha, yeah make it about Dios and Touga goes right to the back of the line. emot-biggrin

Touga's totally on the short bus when it comes to things like 'selflessness' and 'being nice'.

Which is why we love him.

Well, why *I* do, anyway....

#31 | Back to Top05-20-2007 01:43:40 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Hiraku wrote:

I think Touga would run in second if not tied with Juri as to having the potential to attain the power to revolutionize the world. He is, after all, the one who knows the most about the End of the World throughout the whole series besides Anthy and possibly Ruka.

Could Mikage be added to the list? I'm still wondering about the origin of his sword on ep. 23.

#32 | Back to Top05-23-2007 12:55:56 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

The origin of Mikage and Kanae's swords aren't shown.. emot-confused I'm not sure if the lack of implication there means something or not.

For Mikage, the first guess might be that it was Mamiya's sword.. but Mamiya is Anthy, and in the BR duels, Utena draws Anthy's sword, so you can rule that out. So I guess his was just a regular sword, like how the student council members had their own swords in the first arc's duels?

As for Kanae.. if it was anyone for her, it would be Akio's sword, but we know that's not possible. Also, this was before the BR boys knew (from Mamiya/Anthy) that they could have their BR duelists draw the swords from student council members. So I'm guessing for her, it was a regular sword.

I'm guessing that makes Kanae weaker than all the other BR duelists, but probably not Mikage, since he's the leader.. and he also seemed to do a good job of shaking Utena up. But he was extremely disillusioned.. more so than the other BR duelists?

#33 | Back to Top05-26-2007 09:56:25 AM

bea
Saionji Slapper

brian wrote:

It's probably not about skill. The best duellist was best at shaking Utena's faith in herself. Touga comes in way ahead because he didn't just shake it, he destroyed it. He lost later through miscalculation but he alone broke Utena's spirit.

Juri and Ruka? They never had a chance even though they likely would have beaten her in a normal arena. Against Utena's idealism they were as pre-destined to failure as Nanami.

Looking at things from this point of view, I cannot but agree.

Normally, I would concentrate more on a matter of skills, and I used to think Juri could have been the one to defeat Utena due to the fact that, as some people have stated, she loses only because of a "miracle" and because her locket is shattered just as she was getting quite close to victory.

Nevertheless, it is true that the key-point to take an advantage on Utena lies in undermining her self-confidence, and Touga is the one to do so by fooling her into believing he is her long-lost prince.

Ruka could be a good bet due to his selflessness, but then his duel was just part of his plan to free Juri, and I don't think he really had an interest in bringing the revolution.

Saionji looking for something eternal...? I don't really know because even during the Akio arc he still hadn't moved on from his poblems with Touga, and he tends to lose control in the Arena.

So this would go: Touga, Juri, Miki, Saionji, Nanami - the Black Rose Duelists wouldn't even have a chance, and moreover they fight for personal matters, with someone else's sword...

As for a good duel to watch, it's a tie between Juri-Shiori and Juri-Touga - ok, Juri is my favourite character, and it would be interesting to see if she'd really be able to seriously challenge Shiori to a duel and defeat her. I'm not so sure even post-Ruka, more relaxed Juri could do so and keep her aloofness, although it is implied post-Ruka Shiori has entered the fencing club and they'd cross swords sooner or later anyway...

Seeking eternity!
[take my r-evolution]

#34 | Back to Top05-26-2007 09:01:36 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Bea's comment raises another question: did Ruka actually do anything at all for Juri?  She certainly seems better off at the end of the series, but how did this happen?  One could argue that it was Ruka's influence, certainly a more romantic interpretation.  An idealist might interpret as the influence of Utena herself, and might argue further that it is Utena's picture in Juri's locket at the end.  A more developmental perspective might conclude that Juri just matured a little, she didn't really need anyone's help.  I kind of like Bea's contention that it was Ruka, just to think that he accomplished something after all of that effort.

Sorry about the off-topic stuff...

I think that Brian, Bea, Yasha, well, pretty much everyone was right about who had better odds against Utena.  I mean, we don't have to guess about who got the best results, and Touga is definitely the only duelist who operates at all on the psychological plane.  I was merely evaluating ability with the sword.  Psychological strength is a much deeper subject, and requires more analysis.school-freud

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#35 | Back to Top02-11-2010 01:45:08 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I'd have to pick Juri. Nanami and Saionji's tempers would probably make them lose focus in the arena, and Ruka's reverse psychology couldn't possibly work on everybody. 

Miki is pure enough to deserve victory (compared to the other duelists), but I don't believe he's confident enough to beat somebody like Touga or Saionji. Now, Touga might have been the ultimate victor if his lust for power didn't make him so easily influenced by Akio.

Juri's strong, swift, and she has her wits about her. Plus, she is one of the few people who comes close to Utena's level.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#36 | Back to Top02-11-2010 02:03:28 PM

Notebook Darling
Black Rosarian
Website

I think it depends on who can control their emotions the most.
Juri, being good at that already and her fencings skills.

Juri.

#37 | Back to Top02-11-2010 05:41:03 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Juri, hands down. Based on sheer skill, she never actually gets beaten by Utena's hand. She's just good.

After her, my next bet is going to be Touga. He has the ruthlessness and manipulation down.

20 threads dead so far.

Board footer