This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#10301 | Back to Top12-13-2015 05:14:10 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Re: Reasons for being happy

satyreyes wrote:

crystalwren wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

I just got home from acing the GRE.  I'm not sure yet whether I'm applying to an MA/PhD program like I thought I was going to a month ago, but if I do, those scores won't hurt. emot-smile

I must have missed this post. This is awesome! Congratulations! emot-dance

Yes, I was pleased! emot-smile  Of course, you've got to remember that I've been tutoring the SAT for almost a decade, a test that's pretty similar to the GRE.  If I had dropped too many questions it would have been embarrassing. emot-biggrin  Still, considering I was running on three and a half hours of sleep, at ass o'clock in the morning in a test center where I swear the thermostat was kept at fifty degrees, it was nice to see those scores.  Ol' satyreyes can still pull one out of his butt when he needs to.

Congrats!!! poptart poptart

#10302 | Back to Top12-21-2015 08:39:12 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

I got a new job! I start the first week of January. It's my first "big girl" job, with benefits, paid vacation, 401K... I didn't know I would be so excited about adulting, but here I am. emot-dance

I also got an awesome Christmas present from my friend: production copies of Utena settei. etc-love They're art references for the production staff to ensure that everything stays on-model. Originals are hard to find, I'm told, but production copies are often available. It's freakin' GREAT. I'm going to look into scanning them soon.

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#10303 | Back to Top12-22-2015 06:09:23 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh man, I'm jealous of you now, mercurynin! Both for the job and the settei!

Reason I am happy: I made Gio really, really happy today.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10304 | Back to Top12-22-2015 08:20:09 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I have completed my Masters degree in Education, graduating with honors. Just waiting for the certificate at this point. My boss loves me and parents of my students are asking if I'm staying for next year because they want their younger children to be in my class. This time last year I had no job, felt like I was the crappiest, most incompetent teacher that had ever lived. I'm almost afraid to write this, feel like I'm gonna jinx myself. On the downside I am down with a godawful chest cold. So hopefully that balances it all out.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#10305 | Back to Top12-22-2015 08:37:23 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Congrats!

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#10306 | Back to Top12-22-2015 11:55:06 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

Reason I am happy: I made Gio really, really happy today.

I came here to post that I was made really happy today. poptart

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10307 | Back to Top12-22-2015 01:19:09 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

This thread is fucking heartwarming emot-biggrin

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#10308 | Back to Top12-24-2015 12:13:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Today on IN CANADA:

I have a broken baby tooth that has no permanent underneath. The whole exposed part of the tooth broke off several years ago, and my dentist, an artist with filling, basically made a tooth of filling over it, since there was nothing actually wrong with the root of the tooth and it wasn't loose or anything.

Last night the cap finally just popped right the fuck off. So I'm shitting my pants (because while I don't fear the dentist, anything wrong with my teeth freaks me the fuck out) and praying to voodoo deities (Thank you, Maman!), waiting for the office to open. I call at 7:55. Receptionist says get there ASAP, however she couldn't promise when I'd get in because he is double booked all damn day. I live close so I get there at 8:05. I'm out at 8:30 with a new cap on the tooth, and I didn't even have to take out my wallet.

Awesome.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10309 | Back to Top12-24-2015 08:46:59 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

I am very glad that you were able to get treated so quickly. People who do not have money or health insurance go to the emergency room for their  primary care, and, in America, there are no dentists in the ER. No dentist will see any patient without insurance or complete payment because the receptionist will quickly send you away if you have no insurance or complete payment. Cash payments will lower the complete payment, but it will be due at the time the service is performed.

I am very happy to have my group health plan with Blue Cross Blue Shied. However, the insurance is far from cost free. I had some expensive dental work four years ago;and I had to make $800 cash payment to an oral surgeon because my company health insurance would not pay for the procedure. Now I had the most expensive and comprehensive health plan Blue Cross Blue Shield offers and I still had to come out of pocket! I still have that plan and additional coverage to keep out of pocket expenses to a minimum. It is funny in a bad way that I have to buy additional insurance to pay for insurance deductibles on my primary care insurance. Now as bad as that sounds having the Obamacare is worse.

You have to pay $2500 deductible before the Obama plans pay one cent; and, the Obamacare plans cost just as much or more than my company plan. I heard both the deductible and the monthly Obamacare payment is increasing for next year. In some states the Obamacare monthly premiums are increasing 30% in certain states. Where does the average Joe get $2500  or $400 for the average monthly premiums. By the way, did you know that if you do not have any insurance the IRS will fine you 2% of your taxable income, up to $2,484.00 for 1 adult and $12,420.00 for a family. By the way, if you get sick and do not have insurance the clinic can also report you to the IRS after they REFUSE you treatment; and the federal government attaches a tax lien to your credit file. I am sure you can image how much worse that will make things.

Here is a online health tax penalty calculator if you want to see tax penalties for Americans in various scenarios:
http://healthcareact.com/calculators-penalty.asp

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#10310 | Back to Top12-24-2015 09:42:26 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

yusaku wrote:

You have to pay $2500 deductible before the Obama plans pay one cent; and, the Obamacare plans cost just as much or more than my company plan. I heard both the deductible and the monthly Obamacare payment is increasing for next year. In some states the Obamacare monthly premiums are increasing 30% in certain states. Where does the average Joe get $2500  or $400 for the average monthly premiums. By the way, did you know that if you do not have any insurance the IRS will fine you 2% of your taxable income, up to $2,484.00 for 1 adult and $12,420.00 for a family. By the way, if you get sick and do not have insurance the clinic can also report you to the IRS after they REFUSE you treatment; and the federal government attaches a tax lien to your credit file. I am sure you can image how much worse that will make things.

These are legitimate questions, but in defense of Obamacare, they were also legitimate questions under the old system.  The Obamacare exchanges are primarily for people who don't get insurance through their employer.  I'm one of those people, and believe me, my premium and deductible before Obamacare were just as scary as my premium and deductible now, maybe more so.  True, back then I couldn't be fined for not having health insurance.  I could, however, be sued because I had an accident, went to an urgent care center and ER, got $8000 worth of treatment, and couldn't pay it afterwards.  (And my credit score would get wrecked in the process.)  So, you know.  Pros and cons.  I think mostly pros, but your mileage may vary, especially if you never need medical treatment.

/has an obamacare plan with a $4 copay for generic medication
/saves more money than his monthly premium on meds alone

And yes, Gio, I'm so glad you live under a saner system where you don't even have to think about money while you're getting urgent medical care. etc-love

#10311 | Back to Top12-24-2015 10:55:58 AM

yusaku
String Theorist

Sat I am happy the the Obamacare is working out for you. I must admit that it is an overall improvement. My insurance got more expensive but not by too much.  At least we do not have this situation any more:

For the curious, here is a presentation on Obamacare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am8g-IrI8JA">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am8g-IrI8JA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#10312 | Back to Top12-25-2015 11:16:35 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Finally a night off! A break! I can sleep a whole night! After weeks of exams and grading, too many all-nighters, the occasional crying student, and a mild illness, rest!

I passed out around nine pm, got up at 11:30, and now, at two am, I'm sitting here online and watching Twin Peaks, eating cookies a little girl (and her mom) made for me, sleepless but also sort of blissed. If I was any more blissed, I'd be blistered.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10313 | Back to Top12-27-2015 04:39:15 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Back-to-back, but I don't care: Ta-Nehisi Coates likes my work! and that of my colleagues!

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10314 | Back to Top12-27-2015 05:26:26 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Back-to-back, but I don't care: Ta-Nehisi Coates likes my work! and that of my colleagues!

emot-aaa If you don't mind me asking what is your work?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#10315 | Back to Top12-27-2015 05:49:32 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

BunB wrote:

emot-aaa If you don't mind me asking what is your work?

The relevant work is writing about comics. And/or, writing about other things through writing about comics.

#10316 | Back to Top12-28-2015 05:36:32 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Wow, congrats DD!

I'm happy because we are getting site work done. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#10317 | Back to Top12-28-2015 09:57:28 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Yasha wrote:

Something all of us can be happy about. emot-dance

I'm happy because I went to the gym and feel great. Let's ignore the hurt that will arrive in a day or two.

#10318 | Back to Top12-28-2015 03:41:24 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Arki wrote:

Yasha wrote:

Something all of us can be happy about. emot-dance

Indeed!

Arki wrote:

I'm happy because I went to the gym and feel great. Let's ignore the hurt that will arrive in a day or two.

Sensible exercise really is the best. Just feels good (except the aches, which, for me anyway, also can feel kinda good).

#10319 | Back to Top12-29-2015 08:20:16 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Sensible exercise really is the best. Just feels good (except the aches, which, for me anyway, also can feel kinda good).

For sure! I love the good ache, but when you're back in the gym after months, if not a whole year, uh... uh... Let's just say there are consequences. emot-mad

#10320 | Back to Top12-30-2015 06:25:32 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Arki wrote:

Those aches are kind of good in a weird way, huh?

We're happy because we're going to have our annual alcohol fueled Harry Potter New Year's marathon starting tomorrow.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#10321 | Back to Top12-31-2015 02:03:51 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Three of my students followed me down the street, about a block behind me, shouting mostly "I love you!" and my name, so I'd look, then letting me get back to walking before doing it again. And, again.

I probably should've been frustrated or mad at their breach of decorum or whatever, but it was funny. And, I'm a ham for compliments, so I turned to acknowledge every time.

#10322 | Back to Top12-31-2015 10:10:49 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Happy because it's the new year! Here is to hoping 2016 is tons better than last year for everyone! emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

#10323 | Back to Top12-31-2015 03:11:18 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

As 2015 draws to a close...it's pretty clear that there's only one song that can properly sing us out:

#10324 | Back to Top12-31-2015 03:30:54 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Oh, btw, we're on page 413! A good number for the Homestuckers! That's another thing to be happy about.

Last edited by Hiraku (12-31-2015 03:31:04 PM)

#10325 | Back to Top01-01-2016 08:32:04 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I was about halfway through tonight's 4.5-mile run and was just thinking about dropping to a walk, because I was in a giving-up kind of mood.  Then I saw a shooting star.  On New Year's Day.  Call me superstitious, but I was thrilled.  In my head, the bargain went that I get the good luck if I finish the run.  And I did.  Now I'm sure to have good luck all year, and if I don't, at least I started the year off with some good exercise.  etc-love

Board footer