This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#10276 | Back to Top10-31-2015 09:07:27 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Reasons for being happy

satyr, of course you have awesome friends, for you, too, are the awesome! I hope this works out somehow as painlessly as possible, but glad you're getting sorted, at least.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10277 | Back to Top10-31-2015 10:58:22 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

That's awesome!

...I mean, the having friends part, not the falling-down-and-getting-an-infection part. That part sucks. But the friends part is great!

#10278 | Back to Top10-31-2015 10:24:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

yusaku wrote:

Hang in there! I hope you get well soon and that you will not faint like that again. It is wonderful that Gio and Yasha were there to help. I live alone and that happening to me is my nightmare because there usually no one around.  You got some good friends that is quite wonderful!etc-love

Don't forget Ashnod! emot-smile She chauffeured me to the urgent care center and the hospital, then stoically bore with the nurses as they kept changing their minds about when I'd be discharged, which meant she had to hang around a hospital waiting room all day. Never a word of complaint. etc-love

I'm feeling good today. If not for my mummified arm, I could believe the whole thing was just a dream.

#10279 | Back to Top11-01-2015 02:44:03 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Another reason for being happy: Percocet and I are apparently bffs. No nausea or anything. This is obviously totally unfair.

#10280 | Back to Top11-12-2015 03:11:40 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes, glad to hear you're feeling better! emot-keke

I told my students that since lectures aren't obligatory and practical classes are, I'll combine them in schedules - two lectures one week, two practical classes the other. I have 95% of attendance on my lectures. And they study, when I ask them questions, they respond using the knowledge from the former class.

And they feel comfortable enough to share their ideas, thoughts and when they are not sure, they give it a shot.

One student asked me if we can see the time in one sentence as the idea of future from the perspective of the past and it was a bull's eye - Portuguese language can use two timelines merged into one whereas Polish cannot.

I used to be so stressed out last year, I used to prepare myself for days to do this. Now I enhance the stuff I used last semester, I change some exercises, but basically I just spend 2 hours on preparing myself.

Next week we'll have a revision in a form of Who wants to be a millionaire, but instead of being millionaires, they will be morphology masters. The points they will score will be added to their next exam as bonus points.

#10281 | Back to Top11-12-2015 10:07:37 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

dlaire wrote:

satyreyes, glad to hear you're feeling better! emot-keke

I told my students that since lectures aren't obligatory and practical classes are, I'll combine them in schedules - two lectures one week, two practical classes the other. I have 95% of attendance on my lectures. And they study, when I ask them questions, they respond using the knowledge from the former class.

And they feel comfortable enough to share their ideas, thoughts and when they are not sure, they give it a shot.

One student asked me if we can see the time in one sentence as the idea of future from the perspective of the past and it was a bull's eye - Portuguese language can use two timelines merged into one whereas Polish cannot.

I used to be so stressed out last year, I used to prepare myself for days to do this. Now I enhance the stuff I used last semester, I change some exercises, but basically I just spend 2 hours on preparing myself.

Next week we'll have a revision in a form of Who wants to be a millionaire, but instead of being millionaires, they will be morphology masters. The points they will score will be added to their next exam as bonus points.

Do you teach linguistics?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#10282 | Back to Top11-13-2015 05:53:52 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Yep, I also give classes on translation. emot-smile

#10283 | Back to Top11-14-2015 07:20:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I got my hair dyed pink.

Been waiting years and years to do this.  Always had a reason not to; couldn't afford it, it would be inappropriate for my career, and when I was younger I simply wasn't allowed to.

But I found an awesome hairdresser.  I can manage the funds for it so long as I only get it touched up every other month, and my supervisors say they are cool with it.

I am so happy I screamed in the car.

emot-dance

#10284 | Back to Top11-14-2015 08:30:40 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OMG, OITL, that's the best reason for being happy I've heard in a while.  You win the Internet, or all of the Internets if you post pictures. emot-biggrin

#10285 | Back to Top11-14-2015 09:50:31 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

So, my friend in UK was going to Thought Bubble art festival in Leeds yesterday, and I found out that Tom Siddell of Gunnerkrigg Court was going to be there. I asked my friend to help me check him out, and she asked me what I would like to get from Tom.

I wasn't sure, but I came up with a really rough sketch of a fanart, scanned and sent it to her, and ask her to surprise me.

It was this one: http://sketchykunstler.tumblr.com/post/ … re-i-start

She showed the sketch to Tom, who asked her to come back in an hour and a half. By the time she came back, he gave her this:

https://twitter.com/_Hiraku_/status/665604333694676992

This is the first time I got something from a webcomic artist whom I am a major fan!

#10286 | Back to Top11-17-2015 11:27:42 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

This time last year I was having the worst work experience of my life, my supervisor hated me, the parents of my students hated, everything sucked. I was badly depressed much of the year.

This year, new school, I have received nothing but praise from parents, supervisor loves me, I've been giving training sessions to other teachers on Phonics and I published my first coloring book. I wish I'd have known then where I would be now.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#10287 | Back to Top11-22-2015 10:13:47 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

satyreyes wrote:

OMG, OITL, that's the best reason for being happy I've heard in a while.  You win the Internet, or all of the Internets if you post pictures. :grin:

http://s2.postimg.org/j9dr8ty9x/Instagram_photo_by_katelynyomatelyn_Nov_22_2015_at_5_08pm_UTC.jpg

#10288 | Back to Top11-22-2015 12:04:32 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Looks beautiful! I like how it kind of naturally blends into the brown

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#10289 | Back to Top11-22-2015 02:52:51 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All the internets.  etc-love

#10290 | Back to Top11-22-2015 04:53:56 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I can't get a picture that shows the color!!! My bathroom has very yellow lighting D:  Right before the dark roots hit that lighter color, it's actually got shocks of hot pink.  Granted, the color has faded a lot near the ends; this pic was taken today, a week after the first.  Hence what I mean by it being a color that needs more frequent touch ups. 

http://s17.postimg.org/e6a69qgcr/Instagram_photo_by_katelynyomatelyn_Nov_22_2015_at_9_33pm_UTC.jpg

#10291 | Back to Top11-23-2015 10:23:08 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I just got home from acing the GRE.  I'm not sure yet whether I'm applying to an MA/PhD program like I thought I was going to a month ago, but if I do, those scores won't hurt. emot-smile

#10292 | Back to Top11-25-2015 10:04:51 AM

DiddlyPanda
Anthy Assailer

OITL, you look absolutely astounding. etc-love

Satyr, congratulations! I wish you all the best of luck!

I'm pretty excited about apparently having overcome my writer's block. Hooray, progress!

It's lovely when people have things to be happy about. Hooray for everybody!

Icarus is flying too close to the sun
And Icarus's life, it has only just begun
This is how it feel to take a fall
Icarus is flying towards an early grave

#10293 | Back to Top11-25-2015 02:59:43 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes wrote:

I just got home from acing the GRE.  I'm not sure yet whether I'm applying to an MA/PhD program like I thought I was going to a month ago, but if I do, those scores won't hurt. emot-smile

Congrats!! poptart poptart poptart

#10294 | Back to Top11-26-2015 07:37:13 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The Big KiSS Page has made its archive completely free, now, for those of you who like paper dolls, many of which are anime-based or, anime-influenced. emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

(Now, I just need to find a viewer that works on newer Macs...)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10295 | Back to Top11-26-2015 07:39:27 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

The Big KiSS Page has made its archive completely free, now, for those of you who like paper dolls, many of which are anime-based or, anime-influenced. emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

(Now, I just need to find a viewer that works on newer Macs...)

I'm old enough to remember when these were all the rage on the interwebs. This pretty much paved the way for sites like DollDivine to exist.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#10296 | Back to Top11-28-2015 01:09:31 AM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Allegedly, Bandai has SHFiguarts in the works for Ranka Lee and Sheryl Nome.

http://s24.postimg.org/lyb77poi9/1312179745861.jpg

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#10297 | Back to Top11-30-2015 04:08:56 PM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Black Thought followed me on Twitter leading to me and him having a pretty interesting conversation about the refugee crisis through DMs.

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#10298 | Back to Top12-03-2015 02:28:47 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

satyreyes wrote:

I must have missed this post. This is awesome! Congratulations! emot-dance

#10299 | Back to Top12-03-2015 10:57:04 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

crystalwren wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

I must have missed this post. This is awesome! Congratulations! emot-dance

Yes, I was pleased! emot-smile  Of course, you've got to remember that I've been tutoring the SAT for almost a decade, a test that's pretty similar to the GRE.  If I had dropped too many questions it would have been embarrassing. emot-biggrin  Still, considering I was running on three and a half hours of sleep, at ass o'clock in the morning in a test center where I swear the thermostat was kept at fifty degrees, it was nice to see those scores.  Ol' satyreyes can still pull one out of his butt when he needs to.

#10300 | Back to Top12-04-2015 02:58:10 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Congrats on the GRE, satyr! I need to check this thread more often.

My good news, I got a raise and confirmation that I'll be W-2 (employee) instead of 1099-MISC (independent contractor) in the new year, which means overtime, sick leave, and paid vacation (as well as taxes being a lot easier to manage). No health insurance, the company's still too small to be required to provide it, but buying it won't be as big a deal if I can actually afford to take time off work when I'm sick.

If I keep working the same number of hours I'm working now, I'll be able to buy a house in the next few years. Even if I drop down to 40 hours per week, I'll still be reasonably comfortable.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer