This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top02-04-2012 10:23:21 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Re: Fashion Analysis (image intensive)

Melancholic_Soul wrote:

[EDIT for this question... Does Nanami wear red... I don't quite remember anything except for her pre duelist days in a regular uniform... ]

No, although I think she would subconsciously off screen. Red represents power as well as sexuality.

In Kuniko Ikuhara's anime Revolutionary Girl Utena there are constant power struggles, and one of the most powerful characters on the show is Nanami Kiryuu. She is an archetypal "queen bee": popular, catty and snobby.  However, what distinguishes her is that she flaunts her control over her clique instead of pretending they are her friends. This is shown in many ways, but the most obvious is her fashion sense.

Nanami wears yellow and gold in order to create the illusion of royalty and emphasize charisma. According to author Robert Greene, " Factors like color...have enormous symbolic resonance...  If you use 'gold' in the title of anything you are trying to sell, for example, print it in gold. Since the eye predominates, people will respond more to the color than the word" (The 48 Laws of Power, 314) .  For instance, in episode twenty-one of Revolutionary Girl Utena we see her in a gown with a golden skirt as she gets ready for her party. Keiko, a member of her clique, only wears pink. Pink looks cute on Keiko but all eyes will inevitably be on the queen bee first.  No one has mastered power via their wardrobe in the show better than she.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1pa1cy.jpg

Last edited by Riri-kins (02-04-2012 10:29:33 AM)

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#52 | Back to Top02-14-2012 06:03:51 AM

jmie5
Precious One

My, my, Nanami really does look like the little bee there, standing in her yellow and black gown.  I think that's going to be a new way to have fun thinking about Nanami, as a little queen bee, and I'm going to semi-crackishly run with it for a spell.  I believe I read that when the queen bee gets old enough or weak enough, or if there is a new bee in town, she can be challenged and overthrown.  All the worker bees below her are females, yet cannot procreate due to her jelly or hormones or something, etc.  Namami, at least in her own immediate clique/hive is semi-secure, for the time being.  Anthy, Utena, and Keiko are perceived threats, un-tamed or uprising worker bees, and Nanami does have her little hidden "stingers," the daggers she pulls out in her first duel against Utena.  (cough)  Despite that tangent, I'm with you on gold as a power-color and for the royal.

Riri-kins wrote:

No, although I think she would subconsciously off screen. Red represents power as well as sexuality.

I don't think I can see Nanami in red.  Despite her malice, lashing out, and the power-neckline you see there, Nanami strikes me as too innocent, too young to wear such a sexualized color that was utilized by her brother.  When I think of Nanami, when she's not trying to melt Anthy's clothes,  I just imagine her, waltzling around with that egg, singing in her high-neckline nighty, and then beating the snot out of Saionji, when he fries an omelette.  I think of the viciously driven girl that starts to sob in that duel against Utena (yeah, I know, after trying to stab her through.)  Red is more Touga's trick to me, and he has enough for both of them.  That's just my opinion. emot-smile

#53 | Back to Top02-14-2012 07:23:18 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Also, the waves on the top of her head resemble Anthy's crown.

#54 | Back to Top02-15-2012 02:55:03 AM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I agree that the Black rose duelist had some of the least awkwardly colored uniforms; also surprisingly the white in everybody's uniforms seems to help the over all color scheme,a bit. But they could have used more black in general or perhaps gray.

I love the cool black top of Kozue Black rose duelist uniform; it looks really good on her and might make a neat jacket in real life. why are  Tsuwabuki's shorts so short and why are their black leggings/stockings underneath? emot-confused

Also good points about Utena's uniform, it confuses me that her shorts seem to be sport/running shorts, that really does not fit in to the rest of the school uniform theme of business casual??

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

EVERYTHING THAT AKIO OWNS SEXUALLY IS RED.

I can see this being supported in the series (all of the traditional female school uniforms and student council have red trim); so was Touga's irrevocable destiny to become Akio's star pupil slash bed warmer due to his red hair or was that just a coincidence? school-freudschool-sherlock

Mrs.Ohtori may have the best outfit on in the entire series; one long black dress.  emot-dance

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#55 | Back to Top02-15-2012 04:48:57 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Overlord Morgus wrote:

Also, the waves on the top of her head resemble Anthy's crown.

On the one hand, I want to say that's just a nifty coincidence that I do so like, especially considering Nanami's confident surveying look versus her arms crossed over herslef, which looks a bit uncsonsciously defensive to me -- and on the other, I want to say that my mind is blown. emot-tongue

#56 | Back to Top08-07-2016 09:09:50 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

To resurrect this thread for a bit, I think I sort of figured out how the tablecloth dress at the end of episode three could work.

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Student_Council_Arc/03/Series_ep03_161.jpg?m=1380826059

On first glance, it could be harkening back to ancient Grecian fashion, though other than the fact that both are made from a single sheet of fabric and the color, this dress is a bit more complex. Also, the green ribbons could also be seen as laurel like.
It could also be a bit of a reference to Shingo Sato's work, with the rose detail reflecting some of his designs.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c8/44/c3/c844c3541fc660642023711a38ac9205.jpg

There's also a pretty in-depth write up on the techniques (in a downloadable pdf called Free Cutting, if you're curious) by Julian Roberts found here. It also serves as a deconstruction of the construction of clothing as well.

Moving onto the dress itself, since Utena in show created this on the fly out of table dressing, it would act as insight to how she sees Anthy. It's miles above just simply shielding someone from embarrassment, she literally creates a spectacular gown that presents Anthy as a model of awe. This also borrows from the base archetype of Cinderella; a woman retrieves a dress for a ball. Since it's made from a tablecloth, and a surprisingly clean one at that, it also shows that Utena thinks of Anthy as someone uncorrupted and needing of protection and treasuring. Along with the ribbons, a remnant from the ruined dress, it gives Anthy an air of elegant innocence. Though it still is an assigned one, crafted from the hands of someone who still has a naive sense of the world.

Basically the dress could mean that Utena wants to be a savior and Anthy plays along with precision. I still really want to make this dress though.

Last edited by zeedikay (08-07-2016 09:10:55 PM)

Board footer