This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-06-2007 11:10:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ruka to Queen's Knight 2, mate in 1

I just finished rewatching episodes 28 and 29 -- the Ruka miniarc.  I didn't understand them very well the first, second, or third time, and unfortunately, the fourth time was a bust as well.  So I thought I'd ask the community what the heck is going on!

What I have figured out: Ruka likes Juri.  Juri does not like Ruka (because she's a lesbian, and also because she just plain doesn't like him for some reason).  Shiori wants to get with Ruka to piss Juri off.  Ruka hates Shiori because of how she affects Juri.  Ruka's objective is to free Juri from Shiori by any means necessary.  At the end, he dies.

Leaving the questions...

* What was Shiori doing at Ruka's locker?
* "That wasn't my sword."  If the sword in Ruka's locker wasn't Ruka's sword, whose was it?
* Had someone actually been polishing Ruka's sword, or was Ruka just setting Shiori up by saying so?
* What is Juri's problem with Ruka?
* What is Ruka's relationship to Akio?
* Why precisely is Shiori banging Ruka?  Does she think Juri likes him and is engaging in her automatic "take away what Juri wants" behavior?  Does she just figure that sleeping with Juri's better at swordplay will cheese her off?  Or what?
* Why precisely is Ruka banging Shiori?  So he can break up with her and hurt her, hence giving her a taste of the pain she causes Juri?  Or does he think that deflowering Shiori will somehow help Juri get over her?
* Why does Ruka duel?  Even if he wins, given his condition, he can't possibly survive long enough to claim the power of miracles and use it to rehabilitate Juri.

Any takers? emot-smile  Razara?  dollface?  Other resident Shiori experts?

Last edited by satyreyes (04-06-2007 11:12:56 PM)

#2 | Back to Top04-07-2007 03:20:54 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Ruka to Queen's Knight 2, mate in 1

satyreyes wrote:

Leaving the questions...

* "That wasn't my sword."  If the sword in Ruka's locker wasn't Ruka's sword, whose was it?
* Had someone actually been polishing Ruka's sword, or was Ruka just setting Shiori up by saying so?
Thats easy, Ruka swapped his sword with Juri's so not only could he state with a technically true statement that Shiori never polished his sword and as an added benefit, he gets Juri 'polishing his sword' without her realising it.

Any takers? emot-smile  Razara?  dollface?  Other resident Shiori experts?

I leave the rest up to the experts emot-keke

#3 | Back to Top04-07-2007 08:57:48 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

You rang?

satyreyes wrote:

For one thing, I don't think that Shiori was dating Ruka just to piss Juri off. She tried the same thing three years ago, and not only did it leave her feeling even more miserable than before, but she had been wrong about Juri's feelings for that boy. I doubt that she's going to jump to the same conclusion just because Juri was glaring at Ruka. Plus, she recently discovered that Juri is a lesbian.

I think that Shiori sees Ruka as a replacement for Juri, since Juri's been so kindly ignoring her this whole time, making it seem impossible that they could ever become friends again. It was actually Juri's sword who she was polishing. We never see whose locker the sword actually fell from, and since Juri's locker was right next to Ruka's, we can assume it was hers. Keeping this in mind, the sword actually holds some interesting symbolism. The sword symbolizes Juri, which is why Ruka has a hard time getting her to look at him, because she keeps looking at the sword instead. When he places his hand on her cheek, rather than it being a romantic gesture, he's trying to keep her from looking away from him and at the sword, which she does anyway, so he redirects her gaze at him and kisses her.

satyreyes wrote:

* Why precisely is Shiori banging Ruka?  Does she think Juri likes him and is engaging in her automatic "take away what Juri wants" behavior?  Does she just figure that sleeping with Juri's better at swordplay will cheese her off?  Or what?

As I mentioned above, she probably isn't in this just to hurt Juri. It's true that she did take some pleasure out of Juri confronting her to tell her that Ruka was no good, since this was seemingly and act of jealousy. Though she didn't seem to be too crazy about Ruka at first, eventually she began to completely think of him as Juri. "You're the only person I've ever cared about! That's right, I polished your sword every day, didn't I?! You were all that mattered!" She's really talking about Juri. The reason why she completely loses it in front of the school is because now not only has she lost Juri, but she's lost Ruka as well. And just like with her relationship with Juri, Ruka places all of the blame in her for what happened.

#4 | Back to Top04-07-2007 09:29:30 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Awwwwwwwwww, you called me one of the resident Shiori experts! I'm so flattered to have my name next to Razara's.

satyreyes wrote:

While Shiori was in the fencing hall, she saw Juri watching Ruka. She's really just checking up on him, and seething silently, but Shiori might see it as her admiring him. It's worth mention that Juri and Rukas lockers are right beside each other. I like to think that Shiori is originally going to Juri's locker, but notices Ruka's instead and can't help herself. It isn't really that she loves Ruka, she just likes him enough to take him from Juri. This leaves over the question of why she was at Juri's locker. Perhaps she was going to make another attempt to reconcile with her childhood friend. If Shiori truly hated Juri still, she wouldn't still watch her[maybe every day, who knows?] in the fencing hall. I don't go out of my way to be around my enemies. Old feelings got the best of her, and when she saw Ruka's name, she couldn't help getting a little jealous. Again. Bada bing, bada boom. But then, as Razara pointed out in another thread, why would Shiori make the same mistake twice? Maybe she just needs someone to make her feel special, now that Juri is out of her life. I still think that jealousy had a little something to do with it, but more likely than not, it isn't the same as it was her first go 'round. Personally, I think Shiori just has a fencing fetish.

It could be a lot of things. Most people say that it's Juri's sword, and Ruka may have simply switched the lockers. Obviously, from the kissing scene by the fountain, Ruka already knew about Juri and Shiori's relationship. When someone is as unstable as Shiori has become, they become predictable. But I think it would almost be more logical to say that it was Ruka's sword. I mean, if he could predict she would lie when it wasn't Ruka's sword, why couldn't she when it was? Then again, which locker does it even fall from? It could be Juri's. Maybe I'm just giving Ruka too much credit. I do think that it is Juri's sword, but I always wonder if he's just lying. Shiori lied, Ruka lied, Juri lied, everyone lied at some point in those episodes.

Obviously it was this girl:
http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/temptation/TemptationCap0166.jpg
Kidding. It's possible that someone really was polishing it, but it's doubtful. We know that Shiori hadn't, and Ruka knew as well. Ruka had still been gone when she returned to the academy, so she couldn't have done it since he left. Not to mention she didn't seem to know who Ruka was, or she would have known how Juri felt about him was not love. Not to mention it isn't Ruka's sword in the first place. I honestly don't think anyone was, but you never know. Ikuhara is a man of many mysteries.

I assume you don't mean after he got with Shiori. It is something to ponder why she always hated him. If we were to be super badass and draw a reference from the manga, it could be that Ruka left while he was teaching her to fence, and she hates him for leaving her. I find this unlikely, but possible. It's probably the same reason she acts less-than-keen on Touga; playboy prince. All the fencing team girls swooned over Ruka, and he is once again saddled with the duties of a prince [somewhat]. Or just old rivalry now that he has returned and taken back the title of captain; a title I'm sure Juri enjoyed having.

Wouldn't we like to know emot-wink Actually, I think that maybe Ruka became ill with the same disease that plagues Kanae's father. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

Well, Ruka and Shiori are dating at this point. They walk into school earlier, and he breaks up with her later. You can't break up if you aren't dating. Shiori is sixteen, while Ruka must be seventeen or eighteen. If you don't want to find some psycholigical reason why she does, you could just chalk it up to what teenagers do. But we'll go deeper, just for fun. To Shiori, taking away what Juri loves puts her in a position of power, especially with people. Clearly, she is under the impression that Juri loves Ruka, and she has realized that while running away with Taylor [the name Epi made for the unnamed boy XD] was good, staying at Ohtori and flaunting it in Juri's face is even better. Ruka has somewhat seduced Shiori into sleeping with him, but she doesn't put up any fight. He has made her believe that she is more special that Juri, and that if she acts as his Rose Birde then she will be able to remain special. It's a simple answer as to why Ruka does it, but why does Shiori do it? Would Juri ever even find out? Was she just swept up in the heat of the moment? Did she think this was the correct path to the power of miracles? Or did she just see Ruka with EOTW, and get the idea that he was powerful as well, that he would bring her desires to life? Power can drive you to do crazy things. I hate having to hit a wall with this, but it could be any of those things. I personally think it's the power, but interpretations are welcome.

* Why precisely is Ruka banging Shiori?  So he can break up with her and hurt her, hence giving her a taste of the pain she causes Juri?  Or does he think that deflowering Shiori will somehow help Juri get over her?

In the world of SKU, sex is used as a chain of power. It is pretty much the closest and most intimate you can be with a person, and every example [excluding Kozue] of sex in the series is used for a sense of control. Why has Anthy never betrayed Akio, even if she had feelings [romantic or friendship, dealers choice] for Utena? Not just that I'm sure the sex was mindblowing, but that he uses it as a way to make them feel as one. She think's she can't betray him, because he loves her, and he shares this animalistic act with her. Ruka tells Shiori what she wants to hear, and I think takes her virginity [once again, debatable, but that's what I think]. She doesn't think they can be closer, and if she doesn't do what he says, he'll leave her, and she won't be special anymore. This clearly works, as she follows him to challenge Utena, picks the flower herself, and even when the duel is lost, seems very confident about being his Rose Bride, that together they can win. Once he has given Shiori this taste of miracles, she can't leave him. She will continue to bend to his will to hurt Juri until he breaks it off. She can't be special on her own; at least, that is what he has lead her to believe.

* Why does Ruka duel?  Even if he wins, given his condition, he can't possibly survive long enough to claim the power of miracles and use it to rehabilitate Juri.

Why does Ruka bother doing anything if he isn't going to live? He's in love. I'll be honest with you, I don't much like Ruka, but I'll at least give him that much. He really does care about Juri, and is willing to try whatever it takes to help her. Perhaps he would use the power and give it to Shiori, make her love Juri. Or perhaps take her somewhere far off, where she has completely forgotten Juri; this would free Shiori from her inferiority complex, and maybe, just maybe help Juri heal. Then he could wander off and die. Or perhaps he is simply done using Shiori and needed a good way to break it off. He isn't using her to make Juri jealous anymore, and he figures it's time to hurt her, as payback for how she hurt Juri [even though now, Ruka is the one hurting her]. I'm not sure at all about why Ruka does some of the things he does. But the bottom line is that he loves Juri, and pretty much hates Shiori, because she could have had Juri, and Ruka never could. Instead she hurts Juri, and in that sense, hurts Ruka. I always thought that Ruka does what he does to Shiori halfway for Juri and for what Shiori did to her, but halfway because he'll never get the chance for Juri to love him.

Last edited by dollface (04-07-2007 09:36:50 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#5 | Back to Top04-07-2007 01:59:11 PM

alexielnet
Unfulfilled Juror
Website

I'm not a Shiori expert, but I do have some opinions on the matter.

satyreyes wrote:

1. What was Shiori doing at Ruka's locker?  "That wasn't my sword."  If the sword in Ruka's locker wasn't Ruka's sword, whose was it? Had someone actually been polishing Ruka's sword, or was Ruka just setting Shiori up by saying so?
2.  Why precisely is Shiori banging Ruka?  Does she think Juri likes him and is engaging in her automatic "take away what Juri wants" behavior?  Does she just figure that sleeping with Juri's better at swordplay will cheese her off?  Or what?
3.  Why does Ruka duel?  Even if he wins, given his condition, he can't possibly survive long enough to claim the power of miracles and use it to rehabilitate Juri.

1. I am of the opinion that it was not his locker at all. In the future, I may revise this opinion, but at this point I have not found a reason to do so. I think the sword itself is insignificant, but Ruka, Shiori, and the lie they create give it meaning, kind of like the Sword of Dios and the duel game. The sword "appears" at the right moment and creates the situation Ruka needs. He catches Shiori  up in a lie and has an  reason for paying attention to her. It makes her seem like the persurer in a way that "Hey baby, do you wanna shag?" doesn't. It may have been intentionally set up to fall or Ruka might just have used the situation to his advantage. Either way, it is the perfect situation for Ruka.

2. Shiori defines herself by other people, as do most of the characters in the series. Ruka is a cool, popular, older guy who pays attention to her so she becomes cool by extension and the sex act connects them. However Juri does figure into the situation. She wants to show Juri that she can be someone special without her.

3. He wants the power for Juri, not himself. His duel was about setting up Shiori and Juri, not defeating Utena and gaining the power for himself. He wanted to give Juri her miracle and her freedom, but perhaps once she had her miracle, there would be enough left over for him. Maybe she would be able to love him, even for a moment. In a sense, he does get something, but not in the way he planned--Juri's feeling for him soften and she ends up free in the end.

This has brought up some really interesting thoughts that I should expand on when I am not working on a term paper. I do have one question about this though. Does Shiori remember the locket and Juri's feelings for her? I haven't decided.

Last edited by alexielnet (04-07-2007 02:00:37 PM)

#6 | Back to Top04-07-2007 02:10:44 PM

dollface
Website

alexielnet wrote:

Does Shiori remember the locket and Juri's feelings for her? I haven't decided.

I don't think so. None of the Black Rose duelists remember anything about dueling, or the Rose Bride, or Mikage... I can't imagine they would remember if they learned anything. Shiori never shows any real signs that she knows about Juri's feelings either. Otherwise, she wouldn't have accused Juri of being jealous when she warned her about Ruka.

#7 | Back to Top04-08-2007 08:34:13 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Shiori's there.  Presumably to watch someone fence.  And who would she have to watch fence but Juri?  She sees Juri and Ruka fence and interact--Juri's a little hostile toward Ruka, but it's also obvious that they know each other.  I don't think Shiori jumps to the conclusion that Juri has a crush on Ruka...  But I think she has a sort of compulsion to attempt to come between Juri and anyone else--whether it's due to jealousy of Juri or jealousy over Juri or both.  And maybe she thinks Ruka is cute, who knows.

I just recently re-watched the series, and I believe that Juri was sitting on that bench at dusk at the begining.  She looks at the empty space next to her and says something that about feelings.  My mind automatically assumed Shiori, until it became obvious that that bench was Ruka and Juri's place (where they practiced fencing).  Now, this could be a scene from the future, but there's like 0 indication one way or another, so I'm just taking it as occuring chronologically.  Ruka was Juri's teacher and friend--and maybe even her confidant in a time when she was less 'thorny' than she is now.  He could easily know a lot more about Shiori than we might initially expect.  And he could have meant quite a lot to Juri.

After Shiori sees the duel, she goes into the locker room.  She is sort-of caressing the lockers, and more than one of them, too.  Perhaps both Juri's and Ruka's.  I figure she went back there out of curiosity, hoping to run into either Juri or Ruka.  The timeline suggests she should have known who Ruka was prior to leaving the school and that Juri and Ruka had been friends once.  A possible explanation aside from habit and subconscious compulsion is that, knowing Juri and Ruka were friends and seeing Juri glare at him, made her think she and Ruka had something in common.

I think Ruka was lying.  Maybe someone had polished his sword.  I dunno.  Why would it still be in his locker, though?  Fencing isn't a cheap hobby.  But ultimately he was setting her up.  I'm guessing he came to Ohtori with his general plan already formed, and he knew how Shiori would react.

How could he know how Shiori would react when Shiori probably doesn't even know?  And why would Shiori make the same mistake twice?  Because that's how people act.  The reasons Shiori told herself she had for "stealing" the first boy were far more palatable to her than her real reasons.  She admits her real reasons in the Black Rose elevator, but it's doubtful that she lives the knowledge--no, it's human nature to make excuses for ourselves.  So it's not the exact same reason, but those impulses are still alive in Shiori.

Originally?  Hard to tell.  She doesn't seem particularly thrilled to see him.  But taking that first bench-scene chronologically, it's possible Ruka was very close to Juri for a period of time.  It's possible she confided in him (maybe without naming names).  And it's possible that he left without saying anything to her and without writing the whole time he was gone.  She would have felt abandoned and a bit vulnerable, having confided in someone who was now giving her the impression of not caring.  So his return would have made her feel suspicous and a bit hostile.

I think Shiori is trying to have the relationship with Ruka for herself this time.  She's not doing it only for Juri's reaction.  But the impulses that led her into the locker room and caused her to lie when given the opportunity were pretty much the same impulses as the first time around.  It's a good point that she might not remember the locket, but I still doubt she thinks Juri is "into" Ruka--and there's no evidence at all that Juri wants Ruka.  So I don't think she's doing it to try to prove she's as good as or better than Juri by "taking something away" from her--no, but she is still seeking validation from a boy and a relationship--and from sex.

I think... Actually, I think Ruka is trying to show Juri that Shiori isn't "worthy."  He draws the absolute worst out of Shiori, even causes her to expose her deep lack of self-respect to the entire school.  He's trying to show Juri that not only will Shiori probably never return Juri's feelings, but Shiori doesn't deserve Juri's love.

Juri duels the second time around.  He wants her to win, not himself.  He came to try to try to shake Juri up, and to try to get her into shape to win.  And I think he is in love with Juri--how tempting would it be to hope that by doing what he is doing he will cause Juri to "see the light" before he dies?

Probably a little like Mikage or Touga.  Apparently Ruka knows who Akio is, so he's more on the level of Mikage or Touga--and he has a bit of an agenda of his own, which he's hoping he can get accomplished by playing Akio's game.  That would be my guess.  It's unclear closely things went according to Ruka's plan (the locket breaking?).

Juri isn't "freed" from her feelings by that duel.  She is still hung up on Shiori in the last few episodes, "only thinking about [her]self."  But we can guess that what Ruka did for her was like what Utena did for Anthy on a smaller scale.  Juri can now make progress--and seems to be doing so because she's in a much better humor even when she makes that admission.  (Not to mention her amended attitude toward Ruka at the end of the 2nd episode).

It wouldn't be strange for Shiori to identify Ruka with Juri and see Ruka as a replacement for Juri, although her neurotic need for validation is still a factor in everything she does.  Juri and Ruka are a lot alike.  After all, Ruka never told Juri how he felt, did he?

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (04-08-2007 08:37:14 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#8 | Back to Top04-09-2007 07:09:48 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Anyone ever consider the fact that maybe Ruka was testing Shiori? Like, to see if she's good enough for Juri. Or to open Juri's eyes to what Shiori's really like. Maybe an element of setting her up, but she had to walk into the trap for it to work. So he comes in and sees Shiori and sets the trap. "So you're the one who's been polishing my sword." All Shiori had to do was tell the truth. Maybe if she did Ruka would have left just then and nothing would have changed. But no, she lies and at that moment he realizes what Shiori is like. She failed the test. Sleeping with her could be another sort of test. Again when he dumps her; everyone is so quick to say he humiliates her, but he doesn't. She humiliates herself.

Just a thought. emot-keke

Last edited by YamPuff (04-09-2007 07:12:54 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#9 | Back to Top04-09-2007 07:36:32 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Oh, I definitely agree with you.  I think that's pretty much exactly what Ruka was doing--except for some reason I think he expected Shiori to act exactly the way she did. 

He is manipulating the situation, which is why I say he "caused" her behavior--but caused is sort of the wrong word, because Ruka isn't responsible for Shiori's problems or behavior.  A tenant I hold very dear is that no matter how someone treats you, you are the only person in control of and responsible for your reaction.

But Ruka does "date" Shiori, implying a partnership--under false pretenses.  And he does set Shiori up.  He behaved pretty damn badly in several ways, so it's not like he's guiltless.

I wonder what he meant when Juri confronted him after he broke up with Shiori.  He's basically like, "Hey, you wanted me to break up with her and I did--now you want me to get back together with her?"  I generally think he's kinda taunting Juri there, acting like an ass.  But did he break up with Shiori partially because Juri asked him to?  He says to Juri before that Shiori is fun (or something like that) and that he can be with whoever he wants, etc.  You'd think that in spending time with Shiori, Ruka would come to know her as a person and become aware of the better qualities she possesses (the ones Juri presumably loves).  And that he would or should feel a bit bad about using her.  I just wonder if he felt any affection for Shiori, or if he was viewing her as some kind of sub-human.

Saying this is now giving Ruka entirely too much credit as a Machiavellian character, but...  Shiori needs to learn that no one else can be depended upon to make her like herself.  Self-worth isn't imposed from the outside (much like we are always saying about Revolution).  Ruka's breakup with her and her ensuing public humiliation might be a very good lesson in that direction.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#10 | Back to Top04-09-2007 10:08:27 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Again when he dumps her; everyone is so quick to say he humiliates her, but he doesn't. She humiliates herself.

Well, i'm sorry but i agree. emot-frown i understand that Shiori is a victim here, but that doesn't change that everybody else is evil just because she doesn't know how to control herself. Ruka lied to her, used her, dumped her and without a clear reason, but it was she who humiliated herself, she might have reasons for reacting like that, but it was her reaction, not everybody reacts like her, and is not his fault.

#11 | Back to Top04-09-2007 10:15:54 AM

dollface
Website

I'm not saying that Shiori is completely innocent in the situation, but it simply isn't fair to say that Ruka played no part in her break down.

#12 | Back to Top04-09-2007 10:18:31 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

dollface wrote:

I'm not saying that Shiori is completely innocent in the situation, but it simply isn't fair to say that Ruka played no part in her break down.

It's obviously that her break down is because of Ruka but it's her who makes it like that.

#13 | Back to Top04-09-2007 01:43:18 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

YamPuff wrote:

Again when he dumps her; everyone is so quick to say he humiliates her, but he doesn't. She humiliates herself.

I think that they're both at fault.

On one hand, Shiori could have done a better job of controlling herself, even if Ruka was the one who pushed her to that end. She didn't mean to let herself get out of control, and it only happened out of fear of losing everything. Though Ruka could be considered the one at fault for what he did to her, we can't really place all of the blame in him for Shiori's actions. However, he could have done something to calm her down to keep her from making a scene. He could have gone along with what she was saying until she calmed down so that she wouldn't lose it in front of everyone.

I know that it's kind of irrelevant, and a bit much to ask for, but I would have liked to see Juri do something... anything to help Shiori, rather than just walking away.

rhyaniwyn wrote:

After Shiori sees the duel, she goes into the locker room.  She is sort-of caressing the lockers, and more than one of them, too.  Perhaps both Juri's and Ruka's.  I figure she went back there out of curiosity, hoping to run into either Juri or Ruka.  The timeline suggests she should have known who Ruka was prior to leaving the school and that Juri and Ruka had been friends once.  A possible explanation aside from habit and subconscious compulsion is that, knowing Juri and Ruka were friends and seeing Juri glare at him, made her think she and Ruka had something in common.

I always figured that Ruka befriended Juri after Shiori left school. If Ruka known Juri and Shiori while they were still friends, then Juri probably wouldn't have had to explain to him that they were friends in the first place. "Shiori is... An old friend of mine."

#14 | Back to Top04-09-2007 02:58:48 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I was referring to Shiori screaming in the middle of the school, throwing herself to the ground and yelling how much she loves Ruka. That was her own doing because she can't/didn't want to control herself. Not his. You are responsible for your own actions. Surely Ruka had a hand in it, but that's about it. A stepping stone. No one forced her hand.

dollface wrote:

Hmm, the testing theory is interesting. I've never heard it before.

YamPuff wrote:

I'm going to vomit if I hear this one more time. Are we all not aware of why Shiori hated Juri? Why she dueled? Because she hates being pitied or looked down on. No matter what some people say, there is logical proof from the actual series that having people feel sorry for her is not what Shiori wants. She would never cause a scene like that if she had a choice not to. But she didn't. Ruka lied to her just as much as she lied to him; but the difference was that Shiori lied because she wanted Ruka. Ruka lied to Shiori because he intended to hurt her. We all know that Shiori isn't really calling for Ruka in this scene, she's calling for Juri. I'm sure Ruka knows it as well. But if he was the gentlemen, the prince people make him out to be, he wouldn't have lead her out in front of all those people. She isn't pushing him out there, she's following him.

I am perfectly aware of all this. But it was Shiori who had no self-control, who threw herself to the ground, not Ruka. She didn't have to. Ruka doesn't have to make allowances for other people's lack of self-control.

Last edited by YamPuff (04-09-2007 03:07:02 PM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#15 | Back to Top04-09-2007 03:27:59 PM

dollface
Website

But Ruka should have the decency to let her scream and cry and all that in private. He should have let her get out all her emotions when he broke up with her and where he broke up with her, not dumped her and walked out in front of a crowd of people. Not to mention he stops right in the middle of them, which is even worse than if he had kept walking right out of the school. Put yourself in Shiori's position. All your life you've lived in the shadow of someone you thought was so perfect and only hung out with you out of sympathy. Now this person avoids you, and you're so lonely. Then Mr."Right" comes along, seemingly more perfect than your friend. Mr. "Right" makes you feel special with his sugary words, and gives you something to fill that void in your heart. Mr. "Right" promises you that he can make you special and important forever. Promises you miracles, eternity. He takes your virginity, uses you to duel, makes you crash a car, calls you a liar, then dumps you. Everything was so perfect, then bam. It's over. You gave yourself to him physically and emotionally, and he just tosses it aside. Maybe you could control yourself, but I know I couldn't. There's no reason to blame someone for not being as strong as you.

#16 | Back to Top04-09-2007 03:47:23 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

For the reasons dollface listed above, it's understandable to see why Shiori broke down in front of all of those people. Although, I'm not quite sure if Ruka lead her to break down like that in front of all of those people. I'm sure it's up for interpretation, but after they lost the duel, I thought Ruka was breaking up with her right then, and then Shiori tried to get him back on the next school day. I reminds me of when Shiori kept leaving messages on Ruka's answering machine. So I don't think Ruka broke up with her in public. But it is pretty interesting that Shiori broke down in front of all of those people and didn't care, since she usually hates being looked down upon.

#17 | Back to Top04-09-2007 03:55:23 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

For the reasons dollface listed above, it's understandable to see why Shiori broke down in front of all of those people. Although, I'm not quite sure if Ruka lead her to break down like that in front of all of those people. I'm sure it's up for interpretation, but after they lost the duel, I thought Ruka was breaking up with her right then, and then Shiori tried to get him back on the next school day. I reminds me of when Shiori kept leaving messages on Ruka's answering machine. So I don't think Ruka broke up with her in public. But it is pretty interesting that Shiori broke down in front of all of those people and didn't care, since she usually hates being looked down upon.

A very valid point. For all we know she went running after him and he didn't do anything.

Again, Ruka opened the door, but Shiori walked right in. She started their relationship on a blatant lie. Did she really expect great things from that? She got what was coming to her. And she acted like a spoiled brat about it. I dont see that she really acred about Ruka so much as what Ruka stood for.

Last edited by YamPuff (04-09-2007 03:58:32 PM)

#18 | Back to Top04-09-2007 04:05:56 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I'm not sure if I would say Shiori 'had what was coming to her'... Ruka lied too. But that was part of his plan. He wanted to hurt her for a reason.

Although, Shiori did lie too, and she seemed to have wanted Ruka just to feel special. But, I think on the bright side, the hurt Shiori got from Ruka breaking up with her would help her learn in the future to start relationships for the right reasons. And to be less 'cruelly innocent'. Thus in the end of the series, we see Shiori joining the fencing team, and she and Juri both seem to have a much more healthy relationship. I don't know. It's really unclear whether Ruka's intention was to just hurt Shiori because he hated her, or to teach her a lesson by hurting her.

Edit:

Razara wrote:

I know that it's kind of irrelevant, and a bit much to ask for, but I would have liked to see Juri do something... anything to help Shiori, rather than just walking away.

Huh. That's a good point. Juri did go to Ruka later and tried to get him to take Shiori back. But she didn't do anything to help Shiori in public. I think this may be because of Juri's seemingly huge fear of being discovered as a lesbian; of course, it's ridiculous to think everyone is going to automatically suspect you're a lesbian if you help a girl out, but people's fears tend to be irrational. Or it could just be because she didn't think Shiori would react well to her helping her directly..

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (04-09-2007 04:13:47 PM)

#19 | Back to Top04-09-2007 04:24:28 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Helping her probably would have made a world of difference. Shiori acted rashly to her trying to comfort her later on because she had let Shiori sit and wait long enough to become paranoid.

YamPuff wrote:

A very valid point. For all we know she went running after him and he didn't do anything.

Again, Ruka opened the door, but Shiori walked right in. She started their relationship on a blatant lie. Did she really expect great things from that? She got what was coming to her. And she acted like a spoiled brat about it. I dont see that she really acred about Ruka so much as what Ruka stood for.

Why is it that Shiori deserved everything she went through just because she lied? Does she deserve to have false hope waved in front her, only to have it be taken away, just because she lied? The lie itself was more of going along with what he was saying while he was trying to manipulate her. He practically manipulated her into lying by asking her a question that he knew wasn't true. It's not as though she could say, "No, I was here to polish Juri's sword," since he would probably tell Juri that.

Assuming that he really did hurt Shiori just to save Juri, I'm sorry, but I still don't think that that makes what he did okay. He did all of this for a reason, but I don't think that everything he did should be overlooked because of it.

#20 | Back to Top04-09-2007 05:13:04 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

If Ruka tried to hurt Shiori just to save Juri, then no, that doesn't make it okay. It just makes it okay to him. Whatever he was trying to do, it seems that he had good intentions, but an awfully manipulative, cruel way of going about it.

Since Ruka is so vague about his actions and is only in two episodes, it's hard to say what his true intentions are. That's what confuses me. Was he trying to just help Juri by freeing her from Shiori? Or was he trying to help them both (in a cruel way) form a more healthy relationship? It's really all up to interpretation.

(Wow, it's weird that I'm posting so much here. I don't dislike or like Shiori, and Juri's not one of my favourites either, but Ruka's motivations do interest me because they're so mysterious)

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (04-09-2007 05:13:24 PM)

#21 | Back to Top04-09-2007 05:44:23 PM

dollface
Website

I try to explain everything logically and keep bias out of it, but in the end I don't really like Ruka, and to me, he wasn't justified in what he did. It's just like Razara said; did Shiori really deserve to be given a taste happiness [wheather it be true or not] and then just have it pulled away? The Juri fan in me wants to think Ruka did what he did for the greater good, but the Shiori fan thinks he was irrational and cruel. And my inner Shiori fan wins over everything. I've explained this before, but I see Ruka as your typical male stereotype. He's good at what he does, but that's all it is to him. What he does. He see's the prize, not the game. All that he's concerned about is helping Juri; the fact that he's hurting Shiori doesn't matter to him. He can hardly aknowledge it. Maybe Shiori did lie so she could feel important. But at least she didn't lie to hurt anyone other than herself.

Last edited by dollface (04-09-2007 05:45:23 PM)

#22 | Back to Top04-09-2007 06:37:33 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm not trying to say that Shiori was horrible, or that Ruka was unjustified, but we do have to remember that all of these characters are flawed, all of them in ways that hurt other characters-- Shiori, Ruka, and Juri all included. Whether someone deserved something or not is not really an issue when you can justify whatever pain the characters go through simply by noting that they did something bad at one point or other. You can say that about whoever you like. What this thread was originally about was an explanation of what went on, not who deserved to have it happen or not.

For my part, I think they all deserve it, Shiori because I can't stand people like that, and Ruka because he's not cruel enough, but I do realize that a) that's a personal issue, and b) my personal feelings come into it whenever I start to think about who deserved what. That's not really what was asked here, and vilification of characters, whether it's Shiori, Ruka, or anyone else makes these things uncomfortable to discuss.

Let's keep the word 'deserve' out of this if possible. 'Deserve' is opinion, and while it's interesting to know, it's up to others to form their own opinions from the facts the same way we all did. emot-smile

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#23 | Back to Top04-09-2007 08:07:55 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Yasha wrote:

I'm not trying to say that Shiori was horrible, or that Ruka was unjustified, but we do have to remember that all of these characters are flawed, all of them in ways that hurt other characters-- Shiori, Ruka, and Juri all included. Whether someone deserved something or not is not really an issue when you can justify whatever pain the characters go through simply by noting that they did something bad at one point or other. You can say that about whoever you like. What this thread was originally about was an explanation of what went on, not who deserved to have it happen or not.

For my part, I think they all deserve it, Shiori because I can't stand people like that, and Ruka because he's not cruel enough, but I do realize that a) that's a personal issue, and b) my personal feelings come into it whenever I start to think about who deserved what. That's not really what was asked here, and vilification of characters, whether it's Shiori, Ruka, or anyone else makes these things uncomfortable to discuss.

Let's keep the word 'deserve' out of this if possible. 'Deserve' is opinion, and while it's interesting to know, it's up to others to form their own opinions from the facts the same way we all did. emot-smile

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Thank you. etc-love

Anyway. This thread was originally about Ruka's motivations, so I'll try to explain my thoughts..

I think Ruka did have good intentions, but he went about it in a cruel way. But I think he had to do that because he was going to die soon, and he didn't have enough time. Juri did comment that he changed a lot. It seemed like he struck a deal with Akio. Maybe Akio gave him a little more time to live to accomplish his own goals, if he got Juri (and him) to duel? Something like that.

I really don't know what Ruka's exact motivations are. He was obviously trying to help (and not just being cruel for fun), but was he just trying to free Juri from her feelings of Shiori, or try to make Juri and Shiori see more clearly and have a more healthy relationship? I think it's pretty obvious that Ruka did love Juri, and he kissed her, but I think he knew he was going to die and it wasn't like he was trying to get with Juri. (Despite his forceful kissing and saying he'd like Juri to be his woman)

But I think in the end, cruel or not, he did help them. I think Juri was very slothful in her feelings for Shiori; she didn't do anything about it, nor did she try to get over them. Ruka seemed to be trying to get her to get over them, because while being tied down by her unrequited feelings, Juri couldn't move forward. He saw her as someone who was brilliant and could do better.

As for Shiori, she was still "cruelly innocent". She admits to herself in Mikage's elevator that she only dated Nameless Boy to take someone from Juri, but does she only realize that in the elevator? (Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember if she admitted it somewhere else or not) It could be she only knew it then because she was going down in her sub-conscious state. And then with Ruka, she makes a similar mistake, depending on how you interpret it. Whether she wanted to steal Ruka from Juri or not, she didn't date him for the right reasons. Ruka manipulated her to fall into a lie, but the scary part is that she started to believe her own lies. Shiori really is a very innocent, easily disillusioned and manipulated girl. Thus "cruelly innocent". If Ruka was trying to help her, he might have been trying to break that innocence. (But he could have just as easily been only trying to hurt her. Your call.)

What Ruka did to Shiori was cruel, but in the end she does seem to improve. Maybe she needed a heartbreak like that to make her more careful about relationships. Juri also improves, by moving on and not clinging to her feelings to the point where they bring her down. I just know that in the end, we see Juri/Shiori as a more mutual and healthy relationship.

But, back on topic.. since I'm a little indecisive on this, do you think that Ruka was trying to free Juri from her feelings for Shiori, or help but Juri and Shiori out?

#24 | Back to Top04-09-2007 08:35:41 PM

dollface
Website

Yasha is very right. I'm sorry, I know I don't have as many things to say about Shiori as Razara or someone else might, but she is very important to me, and I get defensive. I won't even lie about it, I plain out don't like Ruka. But I shouldn't let my bias make its way into my interpretations. Actually, this whole forum has several little Ruka-based opinions and interpretations, and I think that thanks to you all, I might be starting to at least appreciate him as a character. I'm still a long, long way from liking him though. But that's alright, I avoid character bashing whenever possible. I know many people dislike Shiori and it bothers me to hear them badmouth her. I guess not everything I've said about Ruka here was really necessary. I'll try to watch my mouth.

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

But, back on topic.. since I'm a little indecisive on this, do you think that Ruka was trying to free Juri from her feelings for Shiori, or help but Juri and Shiori out?

I can see how it would work in the latter, but I've always believed he's trying to free Juri from Shiori. I mean, in their duel he tells her how unfair it is that miracles are given to "people like her". Maybe by hurting Shiori he was teaching her about her relationship with Juri, but he really doesn't do anything with Juri to showcase how to have a better relationship with Shiori. Whatever he was doing, I suppose it worked out well enough, since Juri and Shiori are on much better terms. Hmm, this is a really good question. But like I said, I honestly think he was trying to help Juri stand on her own without Shiori.

Last edited by dollface (06-06-2007 06:03:09 PM)

#25 | Back to Top04-09-2007 09:23:34 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

dollface wrote:

Yasha is very right. I'm sorry, I know I don't have as many things to say about Shiori as Razara or someone else might, but she is very important to me, and I get defensive. I won't even lie about it, I plain out don't like Ruka. But I shouldn't let my bias make its way into my interpretations. Actually, this whole forum has several little Ruka-based opinions and interpretations, and I think that thanks to you all, I might be starting to at least appreciate him as a character. I'm still a long, long way from liking him though. But that's alright, I avoid character bashing whenever possible. I know many people dislike Shiori and it bothers me to hear them badmouth her. I guess not everything I've said about Ruka here was really necissary. I'll try to watch my mouth.

I can kind of understand that. When I first watched SKU, I didn't like Shiori at all (as well as many other characters). By the second watch, I tolerated her more, as well as yet again, many other characters. When I read a lot of interpretations of Shiori by you and Razara, I learned to see her in a more sympathetic light. She still isn't a favourite of mine, but I know she isn't a cruel vindictive bitch like many people claim she is. (that would be movie!Shiori) I was kind of trying to do the same with Ruka, by trying to explain my interpretations of his motives to people who don't tolerate him/understand him as well.

dollface wrote:

I can see how it would work in the latter, but I've always believed he's trying to free Juri from Shiori. I mean, in their duel he tells her how unfair it is that miracles are given to "people like her". Maybe by hurting Shiori he was teaching her about her relationship with Juri, but he really doesn't do anything with Juri to showcase how to have a better relationship with Shiori. Whatever he was doing, I suppose it worked out well enough, since Juri and Shiori are on much better terms. Hmm, this is a really good question. But like I said, I honestly think he was trying to help Juri stand on her own without Shiori.

I was thinking the same thing, sadly. \: Ruka was way more cruel to Shiori than Juri, and he seemed to resent her. Especially when he went on about the unfairness of her. (I wanted to quote exactly what he said, but I forgot how to word it) He seemed to admire Juri and couldn't understand why a girl like Shiori was bringing her down. But, in the end, it still seems like Juri and Shiori are going to be together, whether Ruka intended it or not. (Which is kind of ironic, but also good because he still helped them out in a way)

Board footer