This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-27-2011 02:09:53 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Age of the Viewer [VS.] their Most Hated Character

Okay, so there are two different topics that are showing up in the front pages right now, one for Least Favorite Character that you dislike for a reason and another for the character(s) you hate for superficial or silly reasons.

Reading through them, I found myself with a query: How much does the age at which the viewer first saw Utena impact their views on the characters, particularly, the characters they identify as bad/evil/scary to be hated? It seemed to me that there were certain trends linking the choice of Most Hated Character to the general age of the viewer (as implied by their writing style and the reasons they submitted for hating whichever character).
Of course, I have no way to validate this on my own.school-sherlock I don't know how old everyone was the first time they watched/read Utena, so I'm asking it here: In general terms, "child", "just-hit-puberty", "mid-teens", "late-teens" or "adult", about how old were you when you were first introduced to RGU, and do you think it affected your choice (or choices) for Most Hated Character?

And as a Side Note: Did you have a guide that introduced you to Utena? And if so, do you think their opinions had any impact on the conclusions you drew about your Most Hated Character?

*This isn't really a thread for debating the merits of one character over another (clearly, there are at least two other threads for that here emot-wink) I just want to know how the viewers first impressions of hated or disliked characters may have been affected by their age.*

-----

To start us off, I classified as an adult when I first watched this series. The character I dislike most is Nemuro, largely because I felt the creators of the series meant for me to like him and failed to make him engaging for me. I don't hate him for personal reasons. In fact, I believe that if I had first seen Utena at a younger age, his character would have appealed to me more. As it is, I think of him as a Sailor Moon villain- a little too dramatic and a little too immature for my tastes. emot-frown

#2 | Back to Top10-27-2011 04:12:45 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Age of the Viewer [VS.] their Most Hated Character

What an interesting thread idea.  I'm a bit of a statistics wonk myself, and I'd be interested to know too whether there's a correlation!

I was eighteen when I first saw Utena -- a freshman in college.  I did have a guide to the show, but I don't remember his opinions influencing mine palpably as far as the characters, although he certainly influenced how I first interpreted the show's symbolism.

Who do I identify as "bad/evil/scary/to be hated?"  Well, those are all rather different questions, aren't they?  Only with hesitation would I identify any of the characters as evil -- with my back to a wall I would submit that Akio is evil, but that's all.  By contrast, I think most of the characters are scary to varying degrees: in descending order, the top five are probably Anthy, Mikage, Kozue, Akio, and Touga.  But I don't hate any of those characters.  Today I don't hate any SKU character, but when I first watched the show, I definitely acknowledge hating Nanami.  I disliked her histrionics and how she never grew up in spite of all her opportunities to learn from her mistakes, and I disliked how pointlessly cruel she was to the other characters.  I guess I still don't like Nanami very much, though I accept her for what she is more than I did.

I don't know if being eighteen had much to do with disliking Nanami.  Quite possibly my experiences growing up influenced those feelings -- I've never gotten along well with cliques like Nanami's -- but those experiences are as much a part of me at twenty-seven as they were at eighteen, so I'm not sure if age had anything to do with it.

ETA: Also, I don't think I've properly welcomed you to the forum yet!  Welcome, Mooring!  etc-love

Last edited by satyreyes (10-27-2011 04:13:26 PM)

#3 | Back to Top10-27-2011 04:57:33 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

I watched the whole thing through for the first time about five months ago, and I'm 17. Watching it that first time, I think my least favorite was Shiori. After watching it over and over and reading a bunch of stuff here to try and understand everyone more, I think I can appreciate all the characters... But Shiori is still kinda near the bottom of the list..and maybe Touga.

I didn't have a guide, all I had was my first impression of the show I got when I was little xD For some reason, I went into it thinking Touga was going to die.

Last edited by Dognog (10-27-2011 04:59:11 PM)

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#4 | Back to Top10-27-2011 05:41:02 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Who do I identify as "bad/evil/scary/to be hated?"  Well, those are all rather different questions, aren't they?

Indeed they are. I should clarify then, shouldn't I? emot-keke

On the other threads for hated or disliked characters, it was never really made clear whether we were selecting Most Hated Characters (henceforth: MHC's) because we disliked them as people, as entertainers or as literary devices. Each person submitting an opinion interpreted that themselves and I was thinking the interpretation of that may also be reflective of age. Is it worse for a character to be mal-intention-ed, frightening, morally dissonant, or what? It's up to the viewer.
Thus, I went ahead with the Word-Salad that you see above.school-chef

(And thank you for the welcome, satyreyes, I was happy to find this place~)

#5 | Back to Top10-27-2011 07:55:36 PM

Davine Lu Linvega
Spam Arsonist

Interesting poll... I'm interested in hearing your initial hypothesis and conclusions once it's done.

I was 19 when I first watched the series, didn't have anyone guiding me through it, and Nanami was my least favorite. Prissy, arrogant, shortsighted, cruel... what was to like? My opinion of her has changed quite a bit since then and I appreciate what she brings to the story. I wouldn't say I dislike any character now, even those who are most unlikable as people are interesting and beautiful in their way.

#6 | Back to Top10-27-2011 07:58:27 PM

Android raptor
Rose Smilee
Website

I watched it as an adult (20), and my least favorite character/the one that most disgusts me is probably Ruka. Though even then a good chunk of that is less the character himself and more so apologist fangirls who try and whitewash his sexual assual/bash the fuck out of Shiori/think he's a true prince/etc emot-gonk

#7 | Back to Top10-27-2011 10:02:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

You may want to clarify your variables a bit.  Culturally, "mid teens" and your other independent variables can occur at different ages.  Do you want perceived maturity (I was a child, I was a teen) or actual ages grouped into objectively defined levels (11 or younger = child, 12-13 = preteen, etc).  I would suggest defining your levels for age, and then making a short little survey.   Ask not who was solely the least liked character, but also who was most liked.  Then ask for these same opinions currently, along with age.  You also need to define dislike (dislike because you thought they were boring, or did their actions anger you?).

Here's an example, with my own information given as answers.  Age levels are arbitrarily grouped just for example.

==================

AGE GROUPS:  11 or younger = Child, 12-13 = Preteen, 14-18 = Teenager, 19-23 = Emerging Adult, 24-30 Young Adult, 30-40 = Middle Aged Adult, 40-55 = Older Adult, 55 or over = Senior Adult)

1.  Age Group when Utena was first viewed:  Teenager

2.  Rank the three human characters you disliked the most at this time, with one meaning the most dislike.  These are not the characters who least interested you, but   
     whom you actively did not like as persons.  If you have none or only one or two, leave an X: 

1)  Shiori
2)  Nanami
3)  Miki

3.  Rank the three human characters you liked the most, with one meaning your favorite.  If you have none or only one or two, leave an X:

1)  Utena
2)  Anthy
3)  Touga

4.  What is your current age?:  Emerging Adult.

5.  As in question 2, rank your current most disliked human characters:

1)  Miki
    2)  X
    3)  X

6.  As in question 3, rank your current most liked human characters:

1)  Saionji
   2)  Nanami
   3)  Utena

============

This way you have a clear independent variable, Age Group, along with levels (Preteen, Teenager, etc), and a more easily measured dependent variable.  You could assign a point value for each rank, say a 1) ranking on dislike equals 6 points on a scale, a 2) ranking equals 4 points, and a 3) ranking equals 2 points. The same can be done on a separate scale for liked characters.  Just an example.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-27-2011 10:04:23 PM)

#8 | Back to Top10-28-2011 12:06:47 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

You may want to clarify your variables a bit.  Culturally, "mid teens" and your other independent variables can occur at different ages.  Do you want perceived maturity (I was a child, I was a teen) or actual ages grouped into objectively defined levels (11 or younger = child, 12-13 = preteen, etc).  I would suggest defining your levels for age, and then making a short little survey.   Ask not who was solely the least liked character, but also who was most liked.  Then ask for these same opinions currently, along with age.  You also need to define dislike (dislike because you thought they were boring, or did their actions anger you?).

Here's an example, with my own information given as answers.  Age levels are arbitrarily grouped just for example.

==================

AGE GROUPS:  11 or younger = Child, 12-13 = Preteen, 14-18 = Teenager, 19-23 = Emerging Adult, 24-30 Young Adult, 30-40 = Middle Aged Adult, 40-55 = Older Adult, 55 or over = Senior Adult)

============

This way you have a clear independent variable, Age Group, along with levels (Preteen, Teenager, etc), and a more easily measured dependent variable.  You could assign a point value for each rank, say a 1) ranking on dislike equals 6 points on a scale, a 2) ranking equals 4 points, and a 3) ranking equals 2 points. The same can be done on a separate scale for liked characters.  Just an example.

I didn't really mean to create a mathematical survey. I'm far more interested in the qualitative data, which is subjective, than the quantifiable.
To that end, as I was saying to satyreyes, I do mean for it to be up to the people that contribute to define "dislike" on their own. Each individual's interpretation of that factor is one of the things that interests me. school-sherlock

You have a point about the age thing though. I did mean biological ages more than any sort of "maturity" level. Maturity is extremely difficult to gauge and I'm mostly interested in age as relative to adolescence. That's why the adult category, despite being mathematically the largest, doesn't get divvied up the way the teenage years do. emot-wink
I'm also willing to forego concern with cultural norms for this one. I'm well aware that these forums are multi-national, but I haven't seen evidence (so far. I'm new emot-tongue) of any multilingual sections, so I'm willing to assume that most people here won't have too much difficulty with the word teenager, as loose a term as it is.
But, apart from the "adult" category, the ages ranges you suggested are nearly spot on to what I had in mind! The fact that you were able to guess those with such accuracy, based on the vague information that I gave, suggests to me that I didn't really need to give exact age-ranges for people to understand what I meant. emot-keke

*Note: For everyone out there who isn't sure where one age group ends and the other begins, you're welcome to use the ranges that OnlyInThisLight suggested!

Last, but not least, I'm not interested in well liked characters (not right now anyway). To ask for a combination of both most liked and most disliked would give me information about value sets of each contributor and that's nothing I'm going to try and draw correlations about today.

I suppose, I'm most interested in the "scary" characters and the characters that are considered of low redeeming value in the eyes of their viewers.
I'm also most interested in the opinions of people who first encountered Utena at younger ages (specifically, under the age of 17). But please don't let that stop any of you from adding your own thoughts!  All information is good information school-eng101, and I like to hear everyone's opinions on these things!

#9 | Back to Top10-28-2011 02:43:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oooh, interesting! emot-biggrin

I saw SKU as a teenager, around 15, because I know I opened EM when I was 16. My impressions and feelings about the characters have largely not changed since then, strangely enough. However, keep in mind that a good six months split the first arc from the rest of the show for me, so for a long time I had only the events of the first arc to judge characters by.

My least favorite character, in that I vehemently hated him, was Touga. This is amusing because he's also now one of my favorites. I think back then I was highly turned off by his relentless romantic macking on womins, and I resented the fact that he was obviously a tool for Ends of the World, but sauntered around as if he owned the school. I can't explain why that was resentment when I watched the first arc, but as soon as I saw him interacting with Akio, it went from resentment to amusement, and by the end of the show, I saw Touga as kind of a joke.

In retrospect, I didn't give him much of a chance. Back then the prevailing opinion of Touga was that he was actually a prince character, and just horribly misunderstood. I didn't agree with that either, since he appeared to me to be quite a dick. Between the two contrasting approaches I got left with an impression of a character who couldn't be a jerk villain and couldn't be a hero prince, and therefore was a failure at life. This stuck with me for quite some time, but I did over time analyze him a bit more and found much to think about, and after Yasha badgered me to death about it, I came to like him. Despite that, for a long time after my opinion changed, I kept up the anti-Touga site I had, more because it was a joke than a genuine thing. At this point he's in my top three, because he failed at both things he tried to be, because the confidence built to hide his insecurity was so strong, the wall so thick, that it never occurred to him he couldn't have his cake and eat it too. It makes for a fascinating study, and more than any other character, I wonder what becomes of him after the show.

But I wasn't scared of Touga at any point. No one's actions in the show scare me, but out of the context of the story, or if you said to me 'how would you feel about meeting this person yourself?', I would say I was scared of Akio. No one strikes me as evil in the show, including him, but he's the one who would most readily, and most glibly, do massive psychological damage to someone like me. Especially the way I was back then, with very low self-esteem, kinks a mile wide, and a belief that no one would ever want me. Oh, and a thing for authority figures and older men. He leaves mental scars on anyone that crosses his path, and he does it the way a child tears wings off a dragonfly. It's not that he goes out of his way to be a bad person, it's that he doesn't consider whether he is bad or not to be relevant. That's scary. That's dangerous. That turned me on terribly. He was my favorite character by the end of episode 14. Still is. emot-redface

I think my age factored a lot into how I viewed Touga. Touga's kind of macking was exactly what I saw a lot of in school at that age (though it was never targeted at me), and I had a healthy disdain for the roses and the promises because I knew they were lies and I knew what kind of damage such shallow crap still managed to do to young girls. His behavior was more 'relevant' to my life experience, or at least observation, at the time. Had I seen it for the first time now, at 27, I think it wouldn't have struck me so hard. Now I would just think 'lol teenagers lol.'

I also rather disliked Shiori, which I think was also a product of my age--I saw girls like her at school all the time. (Usually stumbling over guys like Touga.) I couldn't think much of either crowd. Time's been better to Touga, I'll admit--Juri's storyline never held as much water for me.

My favorite characters, Akio and Saionji, were favorites way back then, and watching now, they'd be my favorites for the same reasons. The filter I view them from has matured, but the reasons for liking them haven't.

Also holy crap I'm old. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top10-28-2011 10:14:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Despite that, for a long time after my opinion changed, I kept up the anti-Touga site I had, more because it was a joke than a genuine thing. At this point he's in my top three, because he failed at both things he tried to be, because the confidence built to hide his insecurity was so strong, the wall so thick, that it never occurred to him he couldn't have his cake and eat it too. It makes for a fascinating study, and more than any other character, I wonder what becomes of him after the show.

Wow, Gio, your opinions on Touga have changed a lot just since I've known you!  I remember sharing that hotel room with Frosty and shooting the breeze about SKU characters -- it seems like a long time ago, but not that long ago -- and you still disliked Touga then.  I was the one going "but later he tries to be a good guy, and it's epic fail, and this makes him relatable and a little bit tragic."  emot-smile

OT, but I want to go back to that hotel room. emot-frown

#11 | Back to Top10-29-2011 06:01:01 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

I didn't see Utena until I was out of high school (18? 19? something like that) and I saw the movie first, which probably skewed my interpretation of the characters going into the series, but for whatever reason the more morally reprehensible the character's actions, the more I seemed to like them.  The characters I loathed at the time were the ones I saw as inept (Nanami, Saionji as per the movie, but that changed when I saw the show) or too passive (Miki, Anthy up until the Black Rose arc).

The only character I recall really finding frightening was Kozue, mostly because of how unpredictable she was.  With Akio or Touga, even the most heinous things they do at least serve their purpose, but I got the feeling that Kozue's actions were fueled more by her own anger and frustration than her stated goal of having Miki for herself.  Note that this didn't stop me from loving the character, so I don't know what that says about me...

Then and now, I think I find the character's situations far more frightening and detestable than the characters themselves, but at the time I think I most resented the characters I thought would end up crushed under the wheels of the revolution machine.

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#12 | Back to Top10-30-2011 07:45:21 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I was either 14 or 15 when I first saw Utena, throughout the first arc my least favourite characters were Saionji and Touga, but during the the Black Rose Saga I gained sympathy for Saionji. I used to hate Touga, which has since simmered down to dislike. My favourite character is Anthy by far, she was always the most interesting and mysterious, she's also the one character that I was scared of, in the sense that I could only imagine the things she was capable of or had actually done, with that same mild smile and lack of any emotion whatsoever. Sure Akio is just as bad, but Anthy is just downright creepy.Kozue was one my favourites as well, though my view of her has changed somewhat. I used to think she was unapolagetic in her blatent sexuality, but I've come to realize how insecure she actually is. She has been tons of fun to analize. The most difficult to pin down is Utena herself, she's a character I do like but at the same time I don't like, I can easily rhyme out the things about her that irk me ( her naivity, self rightousness, and acting painfully dense) but there is a general likability about her that wins me over. The only character of whom my opinion has largely changed is Nanami, I used to find her annoying and pointless, but now I think she's equally hilarious and heartbreaking.

#13 | Back to Top10-30-2011 07:47:50 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Interesting question -- I was seventeen when I first started watching the show, eighteen when I finished, and I'm twenty-nine now. I never directly hated any character then, and I still don't know -- I just have those who interest me more than others. But if I had to start naming names, I was never at all interested in Juri or her storyline, except when Ruka was involved; I think it was because I just didn't empathise at all with her issues and I couldn't understand why she would mope around after Shiori (which may or may not be because I moped around after a guy who didn't deserve it for months and didn't want to hold up the mirror, but then he barely knew me anyway). The Ruka thing interested me because it shook her up, and I like seeing characters forced to take a look at themselves. Again, it's probably because I won't do it myself. XD

I also didn't much like Anthy or Nanami, but my opinion of both changed radically *while* I was watching the series, and my ambivalence towards Nanami was more because I couldn't see her point in the narrative; when I did, I adored her. And it's no coincidence that I link Nanami with Anthy here, because I think that was the intention of the writers all along anyway. My problems with Anthy were more due to the same problem with Juri, but on a much deeper level. I behave like Anthy and I know it, and I don't like it. I think that's also why I had issues with Utena, and still do; she's so damned naive, and even when she does take a fall she still tries to cling to that "nobility." It's also natural to resent someone trying to point something out to you about yourself you don't like. (In that we get a mirror of the Ruka/Juri/Shiori situation, as Ruka was also trying to show Juri something; the difference is Ruka was consciously aware of what he was doing whereas Utena wasn't; she was just playing at being a prince, and by the time she realised what she was doing she thought it was too late. Which it wasn't. But that's a debate for another day.)

So, yeah, I don't know. My likes and dislikes haven't changed much over the years, they just changed during the series. But maybe it's because I largely looked at them as characters in a story because I was doing a lot of literary analysis at the time, and if I could clearly see their purpose and the devices used to show their personalities and stories, then I liked them. (In the case of Nemuro/Mikage, I liked it a lot.) Basically I'm a whore for things I can analyse to death, and I tended towards those I could do that with. (Which is also why Saionji always interested me a lot as a character; he appeared more complex to my mind than Miki, Touga or Juri, though that's just IMHO.) ...so, I don't know how useful any of that is, but there you go.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#14 | Back to Top10-31-2011 12:49:13 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

My problems with Anthy were more due to the same problem with Juri, but on a much deeper level. I behave like Anthy and I know it, and I don't like it. I think that's also why I had issues with Utena, and still do; she's so damned naive, and even when she does take a fall she still tries to cling to that "nobility." It's also natural to resent someone trying to point something out to you about yourself you don't like.

Oh hay! I forgot about the main characters. emot-redface

My opinions of both changed over the course of watching the series, but I pretty much have always either disliked Utena or just written off most of her. For the same reasons, admittedly, as Anthy did. Her naivete is admired in the context of the show, and that, from where I was standing, it didn't do her any good. At first I resented her for having something 'beautiful' that I can't recall ever having, to be honest. To use the familiar metaphor, I also don't remember breaking my hymen, so I kind of resent that most women have the experience of having this valuable thing (and losing it.) But after a while it got quite exhausting to dislike Utena for it. I don't actually recall how I regarded her at the end the first time I saw the show, but every subsequent viewing I've taken a more pragmatic approach to my feelings. Which is to say I find her naivete amusing in the way you would watch a cat slam into a mirror. The sentiment hasn't changed, I've just chosen a different way to marginalize her for having something I do not. It's a very easy approach if you're already spending the time relating to Akio, who also regards her naivete as something to laugh at. Maybe for the same reasons.

I don't run around screaming I hate Utena though because objectively I don't. I realize what's great about her character, her journey, and her conclusion. It doesn't strike a chord with me, but thinking she's a damn silly fool with no idea what awaits her in the real world doesn't exactly keep to the point of the show. emot-redface

As for Anthy, I totally see what you mean Clarice--I only barely managed not to resent her for being too much like me. In retrospect I don't know why I don't sympathize with her or resent her more. Maybe she hits so close to home for me that I just block it off entirely? You'd think if we were so much like Anthy, we'd get the package deal. :waiting irritably for Akio:

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#15 | Back to Top10-31-2011 01:58:41 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I don't run around screaming I hate Utena though because objectively I don't. I realize what's great about her character, her journey, and her conclusion. It doesn't strike a chord with me, but thinking she's a damn silly fool with no idea what awaits her in the real world doesn't exactly keep to the point of the show. emot-redface

Ha ha, that sums it up for me all right. I don't actively dislike Utena, but I tend to find the people around her far easier to relate to, whether I like it or not (for instance, for whatever reason I'm far more likely to admit I have things in common with Nanami and Nemuro/Mikage than I am to say the same thing about Anthy). I think with Utena I simply realised I was nothing like her and never would be, and I did resent that; I'm far too cynical and introverted to ever be like her, and considering a lot of the time she seems perfectly happy in herself, I likely didn't like her for that reason too. But then I have a track record for not liking the main characters of any show anywhere near as much as the supporting cast, so that doesn't help. The only heroes I tend to like are the anti-heroes, or the dark and brooding type; the idealists tend to get under my skin. Which, as I said, is something I'm sure I share with Anthy. Without trying to derail completely into an analysis of Anthy (which I do need to write once I rewatch the whole remastered series), I think she stabbed Utena in the back not just out of loyalty to her brother, not just out of fear of what Utena was trying to do, but out of resentment. I found Utena most interesting at the very end, when her ideals were shattered; ironically, I tend to hope like crazy Anthy does meet up with her again to tell her that it all worked out for the best in the end.

And yeah, I'm still waiting for Akio myself. I'm so repressed I'd need a complete charming asshole to get me to do anything other than run screaming in the other direction. Ha ha ha.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#16 | Back to Top10-31-2011 09:07:27 AM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

Clarice wrote:

I also didn't much like Anthy or Nanami, but my opinion of both changed radically *while* I was watching the series, and my ambivalence towards Nanami was more because I couldn't see her point in the narrative; when I did, I adored her. And it's no coincidence that I link Nanami with Anthy here, because I think that was the intention of the writers all along anyway. My problems with Anthy were more due to the same problem with Juri, but on a much deeper level. I behave like Anthy and I know it, and I don't like it. I think that's also why I had issues with Utena, and still do; she's so damned naive, and even when she does take a fall she still tries to cling to that "nobility." It's also natural to resent someone trying to point something out to you about yourself you don't like. (In that we get a mirror of the Ruka/Juri/Shiori situation, as Ruka was also trying to show Juri something; the difference is Ruka was consciously aware of what he was doing whereas Utena wasn't; she was just playing at being a prince, and by the time she realised what she was doing she thought it was too late. Which it wasn't. But that's a debate for another day.)

I did that same thing over Nanami and Saionji; Didn't like them early on, but adored them both by the end of the series. I didn't go through that with Anthy though. I enjoyed watching her character from the get-go for all the wrong reasons. When I first started out, I had her pegged as the Big Bad for this series and I kept an eye on Anthy, eagerly waiting with the metaphorical popcorn on my lap expecting her to systematically shred the idealism from other characters, school-devil especially Utena. (The "just playing at being a prince" was something I interpreted as a character flaw that the creators of the series meant to point out for us.)

It didn't quite happen that way, but the popcorn found good use regardless. emot-biggrin

Clarice wrote:

Basically I'm a whore for things I can analyse to death, and I tended towards those I could do that with.

emot-keke Aren't we all?

#17 | Back to Top10-31-2011 12:31:23 PM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

When I first saw the show, I was twelve-ish, and it was pink and had flowers, and I had much more important things to watch like Hellsing and whatever DBZ rip-off happened to be popular at the time.  Plus, I told myself I only watched it for the duels, but I was deluding myself.

I didn't pay much attention, so I only really remember that I started to realize something important was going on around episode seven, and so Juri became my favorite.  Other than that, I hated Utena because she had pink hair, but I also liked her a lot because I was secretly fascinated by the concept of her character.  I got bored of all the whining some time in the black rose saga, so I think it's safe to say that I hated all those characters.

Yes, I was a charming pre-teenager.  No really.

I watched it again in college at 19 because of a friend, realized I was stupid, and was much happier for it.  I started out hating Nanami because she was annoying and interrupted the plot by turning into a cow and nearly getting run over by a horse.  I also found Saionji annoying, and I think this was because of the same phenomenon Gio and Clarice have been talking about.  I am pretty much Saionji in all his frustrated, second tier glory, violent tendencies included.  I also got over this by the time I finished watching for the first time.

Five years later, it's kind of a tie between the Nanami henchmen -ko girls for their extreme ineptitude and guy obsession and Akio because he doesn't really change throughout the course of the entire series, which, in my opinion, makes him less interesting than other characters.  I don't really hate any of them, though.  Like almost everyone else here, I just find certain characters less worth my time.

That aside, since it's somewhat relevant, I need someone to make a gif of Utena hand-facing Akio in the last episode.  It never fails to put a smile on my face.

#18 | Back to Top10-31-2011 04:49:49 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I was either fourteen or fifteen when I began reading the manga and I believe my age really influenced my dislike for Kozue. I was so repulsed by her attraction to Miki that I stopped reading it.

Ironically she's now my favorite female character after Nanami even though I still don't approve of her feelings. Kozue's so rebellious that you can't help but be fascinated by her.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#19 | Back to Top10-31-2011 06:01:18 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

KaleMarsh wrote:

... and Akio because he doesn't really change throughout the course of the entire series, which, in my opinion, makes him less interesting than other characters.

Strangely enough, for all I claim above that I am most interested by the characters who change over the series (Nanami, Saionji and Anthy are the most obvious whereas Mikage has an interesting thing with Nemuro), I find Akio fascinating because he doesn't. With that said, I'm less likely to analyse him than most other characters, even though I find the Dios thing really interesting. Akio's done most of his character development BEFORE the series even begins, I think, and like Ohtori Academy itself he's now stunted, going nowhere. Like a flower kept in perpetual bloom. ...and now I'm remembering the way Akio hung up on Nemuro at the end of the Black Rose Saga, when his voice went kind of quiet and he didn't let him answer. Was that just Akio being Akio? Or was some part of him almost jealous that Nemuro was now free to go and change and grow up? ...of course, Akio is arguably in the same situation at the end of the series, when Anthy leaves him. But she knows he won't leave. He's the long-legged older man and we can't even guess at his age, but in the end he's the biggest child of them all.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#20 | Back to Top11-02-2011 12:51:14 AM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

Interesting question . . . I was thinking about it and I did notice that I felt a bit differently about some of the characters after watching the new remade sets. Before then I hadn't rewatched the series for probably a couple of years, and I first saw it probably at least 4 or 5 years ago at age 21-22. When I first saw it, I remember thinking Juri was pretty cool. She was a talented and powerful girl with a horrible weight in her heart holding her back . . . I won't go into the boring details but as an engineering student I could relate at the time. Now I just find Juri annoying. She can perform superficial achievements to impress everyone but she's so socially broken that she demands the universe itself to arrange a date for her because she's too scared to MAYBE fail once in her life. I probably grew to dislike her because I later met plenty of people who were "successful" and admired by everyone around them but who didn't seem to have any substance behind it. Or, at least, who wouldn't share it with me! I strongly believe that people should be valued for who they are as a person and not how "successful" they are and Juri just grates on that, I guess.

That brings me to Shiori. She was probably my least-favorite character the first go-around. She was just a meanie! I can relate to her a bit more now. She has a real love/hate relationship with Juri and, after finding that I didn't like Juri much anymore, it wasn't hard to relate to her plot for revenge, her desire to defeat the undefeated. I'm still not crazy about her or anything but I don't totally hate her anymore and I think she's kind of amusing at least.

Nanami . . . I still hate Nanami. She's just obnoxious and I can't remember her ever really redeeming herself that much. Also, she drowned a kitten. I know she was a kid and all but holy crap, if that wasn't an indicator of her future sociopathy . . .

I don't think my feelings about anyone else have changed that much, at least not that I can remember. Utena's still my favorite. I will always be able to relate to a total naive dummyhead just trying to do what she thinks is right. emot-smile

#21 | Back to Top11-02-2011 06:46:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

...and now I'm remembering the way Akio hung up on Nemuro at the end of the Black Rose Saga, when his voice went kind of quiet and he didn't let him answer. Was that just Akio being Akio? Or was some part of him almost jealous that Nemuro was now free to go and change and grow up?

I know, a mini derail, I'll stop after this. emot-redface

Honestly, I took it for Akio being Akio. I never got any impression Akio had the slightest interest in what's on the outside or growing up. His interest, for example, in Tokiko's life is so perfunctory as to be insulting--even the way he goes about it is meant to direct her back to the present, which was really the only thing interesting to him about her.

BUT. I post because this very subject came up last night while I was reading the booklet packaged in the second box set. I even told Yasha 'WHOA I WONDER WHAT CLARICE WOULD SAY ABOUT THIS' until I remembered I have your copy of said booklet! But I'll write it out for you, and if it's something for you to tear up, we can....START A THREAD. emot-dance

Ikuhara, notes for episode 23 wrote:

(...) I agonized over the dialogue between Mikage and Utena, and over Akio's dialogue in the last scene. I edited it over and over, right up until the eleventh hour, just before recording began.

The last scene. The original plan was for it to be Tokiko on the phone with Akio.

"Why hello, Tokiko. Have you thought about what I said? That's right...about Professor Nemuro. He was lying to himself, clinging to his past with you."

It was all an illusion that Mikage himself had created for his own sake.

"Yes.... that dream that he let the 100 boys die seems to be another lie he told himself to keep himself in the past. It's just like magic, isn't it? Why do you suppose so many people believed a false rumor like that? Perhaps they wanted to believe...that miraculous power dwells within friends."

The illusion Mikage wanted to see. Were the Black Rose Duelists people his illusion resonated with?

"While you cling to your memories, time stops. Perhaps that was the eternity he found, thought. Yes...good idea. If you'll come and fetch him. I imagine he'll be released from his memories."

Tokiko symbolized the lost "real time." And she said she would come for Mikage. The time had finally come for him to be released from his illusion of his lost time.

Just somethin' to chew on. It's literally the only coherent thing he says in the whole booklet. emot-biggrin I think it changes the equation a lot for 1. Tokiko to be the one Akio speaks with, 2. for her to be willing to come get him, and 3. for Akio to say clearly that he needs to be picked up. Isn't the whole point that people leave the school on their own two feet...or never at all?

#22 | Back to Top11-03-2011 02:35:18 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Hm, while it's true that you must walk out on your own two feet, sometimes to be able to accomplish that, there has to be someone out there who is willing to show you that there IS a way out in the first place.

That's what Utena did when she opened the door for Anthy. She didn't pull her out, but the door was left open nonetheless, and Anthy was finally able to see that opening, so she can walk out there herself at least.

I think there's a possibility for Akio to be having a case of "sour grapes" when Nemuro gets out (Not impossible, since, he did say that, "There's no such thing as a prince in the first place"). When Nemuro left, he told Mamiya/Anthy that "Are you sad that he's gone? Well, he never existed."

I felt that maybe by refuting the existence of individuals OUTSIDE of Ohtori, that's a way for Akio to assert that he's above them all. He did the similar thing with Utena when she left.

Maybe by changing that dialogue from Tokiko to a silent Mikage/Nemuro, it served as an antithesis that the difference between him and Anthy is that Nemuro didn't have someone from the outside who could've brought him out, while someone did for Anthy.

#23 | Back to Top11-03-2011 06:42:11 PM

Gainel
Rose Bride

I actually saw Utena for the first time when I was way too young to be watching it - around 11 or 12. I remember I immediately disliked Saionji, but I warmed up to him as the show went on.

I hated Akio's guts and I really didn't like Tokiko either. Mikage and Mamiya creeped me out, but I felt bad for them. The Black Rose arc scared me to death.

Akio... I don't know. I was reading the manga before I saw the anime, and I saw him (and Utena's reaction to him) and immediately disliked him. I knew he was having a muting effect on Utena, somehow turning her into a normal schoolgirl, and I hated him for it. I can't lie and say I knew he was the horrible person he is, but I know I thought something was weird or wrong about him.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is knowing not to put it on a fruit salad.

#24 | Back to Top11-03-2011 08:57:01 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Gio, I is MAKING THREADZ. school-devil

Beyond The Silver Leaves

Board footer