This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:26:30 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

Princess Tutu (a.ka. "Utena 101")

People showed some interest in the favorite anime/manga thread, and it's the one series I've gotten into since Utena that I really enjoy (although I'm definately going to check out Ouran High School now!), so why not a thread about those crazy ballerinas?

Can I just say that the one thing I love most about this series (besides Fakir etc-love) is REAL BALLET MUSIC! The fact that they use so much from real ballet, the music, the dancing, the motifs just puts this series on a different level. As I'm not a dancer, I have the greatest fondness for the music, as they pick their selections so well. I'd love episode 13 "Swan Lake" without the music because the plot reaches a zenith and it's so beautifully animated, but the addition of music from my ALL TIME FAVORITE ballet score just sends the value of it skyrocketing. I'm such a sap - I always get teary-eyed when I hear the great swell at the end of the Odette/Ziegfried duet.

Once again, I suck at spelling.

Last edited by azuresquirrel (10-19-2006 08:28:41 AM)

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#2 | Back to Top10-19-2006 07:01:01 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Princess Tutu (a.ka. "Utena 101")

etc-love Tutu!

It's one of my favourite animes, and the reason why I got into Utena. People said I would love Utena if I loved Tutu, so after hearing that I was very determined to watch Utena and finally did and.. etc-love

It's so hard for me to pick a favourite character in that show. I love the main four so much, but Ahiru probably just a little more. I can relate to her especially because I'm taking ballet now and.. yeah. Not so good at it. >_> I'm an awkward klutz. But now after I watch more Tutu after taking the classes, I look at the moves Tutu and Kraehe do and go "......ow."

I've always loved ballet as a kid and still do (even if I'll probably never get that good at it), so this anime was a real treat. emot-keke I love how the first half seems like the perfect little cliche fairytale and then in the second half it turns everything completely upside-down. etc-love

#3 | Back to Top10-20-2006 05:26:57 PM

ImmoralEmperor
New Student
Website

How ironic. I just finished the series last week.XD

Rue is by far one of my fav anime characters EVER.*_*etc-love

#4 | Back to Top10-21-2006 06:39:24 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Ah, Princess Tutu. Pretty series and from what I have seen, a fair series to start off with if you want to get into Utena. The first episode approaches the almost random wierdness of the Utena movie.... and to me, that really says something.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#5 | Back to Top10-22-2006 12:25:50 PM

Squirrama
New Student

Perhaps one of the greatest parts of Princess Tutu was Mytho's fondness for not wearing any pants. That boy would go for episodes before he finally got some on. emot-keke

I also really, really loved the random animals. Tutu wouldn't have been as much fun for me without how many people around them were strangely anthropomorphic, simply because it was just ridiculous enough to explain away much of the other crazy things going on.

I sadly only discovered Princess Tutu over the summer this year, thanks to an amazing AMV I saw in Anime Boston's AMV contest. Said AMV ended up winning the contest overall, and rightly so. After that, I hunted Tutu down like a girl possessed.

#6 | Back to Top10-23-2006 05:40:28 PM

Melusina
Wakaba Wrangler

I saw the first two eps at Utah anime con the other day. . .

It was interesting. emot-biggrin

Does it play with the same fairytale motifs that Utena does?

#7 | Back to Top10-24-2006 01:53:34 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

Hm...I looked into this anime, and it just seemed too "cutesy" for me. But I think I'll attempt a watching, if it's similar to Utena.

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#8 | Back to Top10-24-2006 02:34:05 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

It really takes the first three episodes before you can get a handle on the series. Overall it's not as deep as Utena, (What is?) but it's far more involved than you might think. It's very much worth watching and with more than a few similiarities to Utena.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#9 | Back to Top10-24-2006 06:55:58 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

Ragnarok wrote:

Overall it's not as deep as Utena (What is?)

As for being as deep as Utena...I think Serial Experiments Lain might actually take the cake on that one. Utena's my all-time favorite, but Lain takes the longest to puzzle everything out. And Evangelion and Haibane Renmei come close to SKU in the depth department.

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#10 | Back to Top10-24-2006 07:11:52 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Rosemary Bats wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

Overall it's not as deep as Utena (What is?)

As for being as deep as Utena...I think Serial Experiments Lain might actually take the cake on that one. Utena's my all-time favorite, but Lain takes the longest to puzzle everything out. And Evangelion and Haibane Renmei come close to SKU in the depth department.

You have very fine taste in shows, I must say. cool

After Utena, anything with Yoshitoshi ABe's involvement gets put on a pedestal by me as well.  He's my favorite character designer, and his artwork is just amazing.

...but this thread is about Tutu!  I'll keep it on topic by saying (again) that I intend to see this someday, as I've heard that there are more than a few parallels to Utena as far as characters and motivations are concerned.  I await the value priced boxset to make this prophecy become reality. emot-biggrin

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#11 | Back to Top10-24-2006 08:26:20 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

I'll say that as much as I adore Utena, I think Princess Tutu was better in the sense of it being a better crafted story. It is true that the complexity and ambiguity in Utena are big parts of the appeal. But there are times I feel the creators just got overly-clever or worse, lazy, in the telling. I never get that feeling with Tutu.

Laurie

#12 | Back to Top10-27-2006 03:13:55 AM

vitupera
New Student
Website

Squirrama wrote:

I sadly only discovered Princess Tutu over the summer this year, thanks to an amazing AMV I saw in Anime Boston's AMV contest. Said AMV ended up winning the contest overall, and rightly so. After that, I hunted Tutu down like a girl possessed.

Oh man, that is a wonderful AMV.  I'd been dragging my feet on Princess Tutu-- I had so much other downloaded anime that I was never going to get to-- but watching that totally converted me.  Now my anime club is showing it, which is pretty much the best situation all around.  emot-dance  (Still, I haven't finished it yet, so I should probably butt out of this thread before spoilers start flying.  emot-keke;; )

#13 | Back to Top11-03-2006 02:26:20 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

vitupera wrote:

(Still, I haven't finished it yet, so I should probably butt out of this thread before spoilers start flying.  emot-keke;; )

Precisely the reason I've stayed out of the thread, just in case.  I just finished the series (as in within the past hour), and I must say it was wonderful!  I didn't feel quite the draw to Ahiru as I did Utena (I preferred Fakir, honestly), but I still loved the story so much!  I'm very much a character over plot sort of person when it comes to anime, movies, books, whatever.  However, even though I lacked the strong attachment to most of the Tutu characters, I still felt myself utterly drawn in by the fantastic fable that was coming to life before me.  So much wasn't quite as it seemed (particularly with regard to Rue and Fakir), and the way new information slowly fit together was simply wonderful.  Not to mention the music...my goodness, the music!  I never thought of myself of much of a classical music fan, but it might also have been I never gave myself the opportunity to find out.  The music was exquisite, as was the dancing shown.  My biggest beef?  I didn't like the overall character designs.  It just wasn't in a drawing style that I paticularly like--a bit too modern or something, I don't know.  I prefer the Utena-Rayearth-even Sailor Moon-look compared to the Pretty Cure-Shaman King-Princess Tutu-look.  Not sure how to describe it really, but it's just not a style I like.  Good thing it was able to overcome that deficit pretty quickly.

For those who are considering the show, but worry about the 'cutesiness' of it, first, it's really not all that 'cute', not compared to something like A Little Snow Fairy Sugar or Aishiteruze Baby.  Second, much like Utena, it takes a few episodes to really get going.  After the first DVD, I was wondering just what the fuss was about.  However, as I continued on, I found more and more to keep me interested.  It takes a little while to rev up, but I found it to be well worth watching.  It even managed to land in my Top Ten anime.

Last edited by Cerise (11-03-2006 02:27:08 PM)

#14 | Back to Top11-06-2006 01:56:16 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I love Princess Tutu. I have to say it's up there with Utena, if not just a little below. The parallels you can see after watching Utena first (or watching Tutu and then Utena) are amazing, and at the same time, it is very much its own unique story. I am going nuts as a Fakir girl more and more. I love the depth of the characters, the uncertanty of loyalties, and the progression of the story. The music is wonderful, and everything is beautiful, if not tragically so. I think the main character (Duck?) is adorable...not at all like Utena, although they are both very innocent at times. It's just a really great show, and something very nice if you've just finished SKU and are looking for that twisted fairytale anime fix. Unlike SKU, though, Tutu is very, very German. (Which is cool with me. I'm German. emot-kekeetc-love)

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#15 | Back to Top12-01-2006 06:57:54 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I just wanted to throw it out there that I just finished watching the series, and it was beautiful, and I loved it, and I cried. On the whole, I think it's very close to SKU in the themes and character struggles. I cried during the last episode, and I'm glad the ending was happy, and that everything worked out. The story has a very clear theme of finding your own path and making your own story, like SKU, and it is filled with hope just as SKU is. I couldn't think of a fairytale that has more truth in it than these two series. Anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly reccomend watching. etc-loveetc-love

#16 | Back to Top12-01-2006 09:58:08 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

As a dissenting opinion, watching the first volume of Princess Tutu didn't make me think it was anything like Utena except in the most superficial sense of being colourful and storybook-like. It doesn't really have Utena's design aesthetic, the characters were far more "kiddy" and seemed to lack any real depth or nuance (even taking into account that the depth and nuance of Utena characters becomes more obvious over time as opposed to in the first few episodes), the "battle of the week" is a formula I don't really like and there's nothing really special done with it here to make it stand out, and the main character's personality lends an extremely different feel.

I hear all the time how much Princess Tutu is like Utena; I don't really get it. Even if later on it turned into something more complex, I can't see it ever really being like Utena in theme and tone, because the theme and tone start out so incredibly different. Classical music and bright colours, sure, but that isn't what defines Utena, to me. I'd far sooner compare Tutu to Tenshi Ni Narumon/I Wanna Be An Angel than I would to Utena.

Mind you, I didn't think it was a terrible show, per se... just it's not really at all like Utena (and I didn't have much interest in watching more).

#17 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:03:01 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

That's all fine, it's your opnion. I saw connections, however. But I saw much more connections later in the series. I didn't think that I'd like it after seeing the first episode or so, and the same sort of thing happened with Utena as well. But I gave both shows a chance, and ended up loving them. That's just me, though.

#18 | Back to Top12-01-2006 10:54:14 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

belladonna wrote:

That's all fine, it's your opnion. I saw connections, however. But I saw much more connections later in the series. I didn't think that I'd like it after seeing the first episode or so, and the same sort of thing happened with Utena as well. But I gave both shows a chance, and ended up loving them. That's just me, though.

Oh, of course. I can't make a final judgement on Tutu without seeing it all, and I'm not saying you're wrong to see a connection, I just don't see it myself, even in the things people have specifically claimed to me are similar (I've seen more than one person laud the connection from just seeing the first episode).  Differing opinions make the world go round!

However, one thing I will say, and I'm not sure you were actually intimating otherwise, is that I feel watching the first volume of any series is giving it a very fair chance. emot-biggrin

#19 | Back to Top12-23-2006 09:27:04 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

The first volume of Tutu doesn't even skim the surface of its depth.  Hell, I found little depth in the first volume of Utena either. emot-tongue  Tutu is the best series at pulling a 180 on you when you get to the exact middle of the series.  It looks formulaic and kiddy and then they blow your mind with a cool plot.  I like to compare Princess Tutu to being a combination of Utena and Violinist of Hameln.

Board footer