This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-27-2006 10:36:16 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Virtues of Evil

No, this topic is not specifically directed at Gio! emot-biggrin
This question, however, is...

Giovanna wrote:

I would worship Akio as a god before the god described in the Bible.

For serious.

Not even about the sex.

Why?

I moved this to another thread, because I think it deserves discussion, why is evil attractive?

Is it just Akio for some of you? Do you tend to root for the bad guy in movies? Do you date dangerous people, find them more attractive? Why do you think this is? Is it a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing that is?

(My own response = LONG)
Me, I watched SKU and initially rejected any form of Akio worship, because he abused all of the characters I had come to adore. After several rewatches, and looking for the reasons "why" he behaved the way he did, I developed a sort of respect for the mastermind of plots, the phantom with total control. I admit he is attractive, but his manipulative quality repulses me, as much as it makes me want to respect it.

I do find myself rooting for the bad guy in films. Particularly horror films. I learned when I was younger, to keep from being afraid I would pretend the baddies were my friends. Even in my dreams, when scary vampires appear stalking across my yard, (not the sexy ones, the old, gaunt, bald ones) I invite them for a sleepover. I don't feel like I admire the characteristics of these guys, I'm just making myself less afraid by becoming one with my fear.

In all things sexual, romantic, love, lust... there is an attraction to darkness, like it is erotic, or sexy. I know personally, the smuttier the situation in bed, the hotter I feel, and the better I get off. I fuck like an animal. But, I have such high standards for True Love, that I rarely respect the people I sleep with. As we treat each other like sticks of meat. I enjoy it, but I don't respect it. I see the hypocrisy.

My friend is of the school of thought which announces that everything has a bit of light, and a bit of darkness. To deny the bad parts, would be not knowing an entire part of yourself. Generally, the public will say they worship something All Good. A being like that could not understand you, it would be diametrically opposed to you...as you have some negative things inside. How about accepting all of yourself.

I countered with something from a C.S. Lewis book which pointed out, that a society based on honoring and respecting vices would not be able to succeed, and there is no record of one in the past. Imagine a town where people were respected for lying, where the biggest cheater was given a prize, where stabbing someone you loved in the back, was considered good, and being cowardly was heroic...the society would be doomed to failure.

In some cases it is the right thing to do to lie, sometimes killing is required for survival. In the end, it's just a muddled mess of both light and dark, colliding. In the end, we decided that there must be balance. You cannot really worship the negative aspects inside yourself, (or can you) but you cannot totally wipe them away. (but you can try)

I ask this, WHAT'S SO GOOD ABOUT BADNESS, personally because I think because of my religious upbringing. I think that the standard is good, treating people right, loving others, being helpful, BUT... it's a constant uphill battle to always try to figure out what the right thing is do to, and then force yourself to do it even if it is uncomfortable. I am constantly in a war with myself. And, when you find you cannot meet the standard, you despise yourself. So, I think, being able to accept evil/bad, or find it attractive or find something appealing about the dark side would make life much more free. To really understand, or accept the parts of you that want things that are bad for you, wouldn't it be great to know.

A possibility might be redefining what exactly IS evil, or bad? The opposite of good. But what is it really?
So much fun to discuss these things...

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#2 | Back to Top12-27-2006 11:09:24 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Re: Virtues of Evil

Frosty wrote:

I moved this to another thread, because I think it deserves discussion, why is evil attractive?

I have to admit I'm a gal who tends to gravitate towards the bad guys -- mostly because they're more interesting to me. And I don't mean the two-dimensional crap that is often rammed down our throats -- I like the complex bad guys who could be the good guys, if you looked at it all from a different perspective. And I think it's a very human thing to do, because even though we always go on and on about true love and the strength of the human spirit and kinship and all that, humans are by nature extremely self-centred creatures. Villains tend to embrace that aspect of their characters and so can be perceived as being more "free" than the hero, who is constrained by the sensibilities and rules of society. But like you say, a society without rules nor respect for life can't possibly sustain itself; Apocalypse Now, Heart of Darkness, Lord of the Flies, American Psycho and The Beach are all good explorations of this. But personally, I am a restrained person who can't express herself very easily; the way "villains" don't give two fucks about the world appeals to me even though I would never behave in that manner myself. This is just one of the reasons why I feel in love with the character of Mikage Souji, etc-wankgirl

Incidentally, though, someone who is "free" doesn't necessarily have zero morals and isn't necessarily the "bad guy." One of my favourite examples of this is Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, as contrasted to the character of Commodore James Norrington. From Norrington's viewpoint, Jack is a scallywag and a criminal. (I love that word. Scallywag. emot-tongue) From the viewer's perspective, Jack's absolutely insane but still "a good man." [shrugs] So...yeah. I like villains because of their freedom from the constraints put upon the heroes, but you don't have to be a villain to get that kind of freedom. Although the curious thing here is that I'm not actually big on Jack Sparrow as a character anyway; I'd much rather get a good flogging from the Navy anyday. school-devil

Last edited by Clarice (12-27-2006 11:10:21 AM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#3 | Back to Top12-28-2006 01:00:55 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

"Bad" seems to exist solely to act as the counterpart to good, which is why I think in 1984 the word is replaced with "ungood." People generally want to divide the world into black and white, good or bad, with us or against us, et cetera. I think evil is important simply because nothing is really that simple. If someone thinks or acts differently, they're often going to be seen as something bad or at least not as good because they're outside the norm.

Clarice wrote:

I like the complex bad guys who could be the good guys, if you looked at it all from a different perspective.

I think this puts it pretty nicely actually. Most people don't think that what they're doing is bad or wrong even if other people do think that. We admire the villains because of their distate for conformity and their freedom from the constraints of society but also I think it it's important to respect evil or bad or whatever because, with a few exceptions of course, nobody thinks they're the bad guy. Even though really we're all the bad guy to someone else, whether because of what we've done or because of what we represent.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top12-28-2006 01:36:33 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Frosty wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I would worship Akio as a god before the god described in the Bible.

For serious.

Not even about the sex.

Why?

I read this thread earlier today and have let this stew trying to come up with an answer, and I'm finding it actually rather hard to explain. Obviously, I have a respect for Akio that I don't have for the Biblical god, but I can't quite find the best way to illustrate it. The word that keeps popping up is honesty. I admit, a very odd choice given Akio is a gigantic liar to everyone including himself, but he's...honest about being a liar? Sincere? It's what he is and he expects everyone to respond in kind.

I guess it's that I plain don't like God. I would rather ally myself with someone I like though the consequences are severe, than kiss up to someone I dislike simply for the reward. I do plenty of that at my job. God sounds like a jerk; I don't want what he's selling at the price he's selling it at. I would rather ally myself with Akio because in his sick way, he gives his victims more credit than God does. Akio will make you an offer based on what you want. You want it, so you go after it, and he provides it or he doesn't, depending on what you wanted. It's not about the morality of it, he lets the students in his school chase after what they want and naturally it bites them in the ass, but at least he let them walk into their own trap on pursuit of what they wanted. It's ugly and messy for them, but there it is, and by contrast, God puts us here with the same sets of drives and motivations but says 'Do this only, nevermind what you think you want. I know what you want and you'll work toward that or burn forever.' I'd rather pursue the things I want, even if I want them for the wrong reasons, won't get them, or will get screwed in the end, than get told by someone else what it is I should be pursuing. Let me make that decision, for better or worse.

They're both fucking jerks, but by my standards, Akio's the lesser of two evils.

So really it's not about my liking evil more. That's a slightly different subject. emot-keke Which brings us toooooooo....

Evil! Villains! Oh yes indeed! I am one of those. I always root for the bad guy. Like Clarice, I just find them more interesting, and I tend to find it much easier to relate to them. In fact, to be honest, I very often hang my entire opinion of a piece of work on whether I like the villain. Shallow, I know. Sorry.

I'm always drawn to the 'bad guy'. Not necessarily a villain, but always the story's example of the wrong side. As far as I can tell the running theme is that I always like the most selfish character, the one following their greed or the lust or whatever it is we're supposed to control but don't want to.

It's not that I don't think there is a light side or that it should be ignored. Quite the opposite. For me, and perhaps for a lot of people that like the baddies, it's being drawn to the side we spend the rest of the time covering up. No one has to justify or hide that they're good and kind and want to help. But selfishness, greed, lust...those are things we're not supposed to flaunt. Or even indulge. In fact we're supposed to be ashamed of them. I admire the bad guys because as said already...they're doing what they want. They're doing what I want. And I can't see what's necessarily wrong with it anymore, or why I shouldn't be that way, if a little. Even I know one shouldn't aspire to be like Akio, but you know what? I don't see what would be so bad about a little dose of selfishness. A little lust for life. That's a funny thing about Akio; all coffins and analysis aside, he enjoys his life, and I gotta admire that. Think about it; it's not something a lot of people can really do. Granted, he gets to make it pretty easy, what with his fancy illusions and all, but there's an idea there. He makes himself happy, unfortunately at great cost to everyone else because what makes him happy kinda works that way, but he doesn't apologize for it. He does rotten things, things far far worse than anything it would take for me to be happier, but he doesn't apologize for it. When I do things to make myself happy that harm absolutely no one at all, I apologize.

I think that's something I see in a lot of villains, or the ones that really stick with me. I can appreciate a tortured adversary, but the baddies I really, really like are all the ones that do their thing because god damn it it's what they want. I'm drawn to that and I admire it because it's something I want a little of and struggle to obtain. I doubt this is the exact same for everyone that likes the bad guys but I think you'll probably find it's a variation on a recurring theme, that villains tend have abilities and attributes that people admire or envy, and it draws them in a way the other side doesn't, because we spend the rest of our lives focusing on that stuff. Me? I'm already quite familiar with suffering for the people I love. I've done that before, and I don't admire any hero for their ability to do such things. I can do that, too. The corrupt Wall Street overlord? The bank robber? The vicious mafia don? The ends of the world? They're without guilt doing something I cannot. They're doing what they want.

By the way I really need to sleep. emot-redface I'm pretty sure I just managed not to say anything that hasn't been said. emot-redface

Edited for half-asleep when written. emot-redface

Last edited by Giovanna (12-28-2006 01:03:42 PM)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top12-28-2006 02:39:41 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I'm not wordy unless I have to be, so this'll probably be brief.

From the point of view of someone who's not attracted to Akio, but actively considers him one of my favourite characters and a character I somewhat look up to, the appeal for me is his power. It's hard for a naive person to get into positions of power. Climbing any kind of social ladder is like a game of chess where not only do you have to know your next moves but everyone else's as well. There can't be many surprises, and who better to avoid surpises than the man who's pulled all the dirty tricks before and knows exacly where the flaws are? Akio makes people do things they know are bad and every rational thought in their head tells them not to.

I have to admit I'm a little envious of that kind of control.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#6 | Back to Top12-28-2006 06:39:32 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm moving this thread, along with another one or two, from IFD to GD. IFD is for threads that are either deliberately stupid, sexually graphic, or otherwise not particularly work-safe. This is more of a philosophical discussion really.

Hinotori wrote:

I have to admit I'm a little envious of that kind of control.

I think I can honestly say if I had that kind of power and control over others...I would abuse it about as much. You know what they say about absolute power? Yeah.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#7 | Back to Top12-28-2006 07:26:59 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Hallelujah, thanks guys, this is great fodder for our villain rp!!

Giovanna wrote:

God sounds like a jerk.

A philosophy teacher used the analogy: if a teacher filled a room with various weapons like knives, guns, axes, chainsaws, swords, ice picks, drills, mallets, Iron Maiden's, and various other equipment for torture; then sealed a class of kindergarteners inside, with the parting words, "Don't touch any of this!" If the children then viciously maimed and killed one another, who would be to blame? The teacher. This story, of course, is supposed to be an analogy of what the popular idea of God has done to the people in the world.

Traditional villains are about expression, while traditional hero's repress their natural desires. That's where the admiration stems from. People admire villains a bit because they are doing something hard, like showing your true feelings of anger toward people.

I'll have to move away from religious figures for now, as they tend to make us feel prickly inside. But there are examples of good guys, I would ask, "In real life, is a good person more well liked than a bad one?" by each of you individually. I can say, I respect Mother Teresa more than John Gotti. But I think that you can respect Gotti more, and still be respecting him for the same reason that one would respect mother T.

We feel burdened by having to stifle our feelings of anger and vengeance. So much so that one wonders why we even try and force ourselves to behave. I think that problem lies in the fact that our stifled anger is righteous anger… the sort of anger any mistreated person would have, when confronted with unjust laws. In MLK JR’s Letter from Birmingham Jail, he writes about how unjust laws will move a peace loving person to action, which should not be considered wrong under the circumstances.

In a space where there was nothing to agitate you, you would probably be in perfect peace.  Whereas a bad, bad guy, isn’t happy unless he’s disrupting the peace. In our minds, we might have violent urges against evil bosses, or strong sexual thoughts about our neighbor that we must restrain, but were we to act out those behaviors and put the boss in her bitchy place, or quench our libidos…what would have been restored, but our soul’s status quo. So, we, even in our most vicious mode, are fighting for peace in our life. Mostly.

And then there’s power. The ability to influence and control others. Why would you want power? You’d probably use it, even in the most hedonistic state, to gain money, friends, lovers, all things that are pretty good things. You use a bad thing to get a good thing, but what you wanted in the end, was a good thing.
Like Jack Sparrow, who technically by the good guy was thought of as the bad guy, but we know he was a good guy… Again, Jack’s doing all sort of crazy things, but in a pinch, he saves his friends. He’s made those friends by watching those people and deciding that they are worth caring about. The other guy, has watched people too, but at crucial points decided not to be a friend, not to even make one. I’d say, the laws were unjust due to circumstance, and therefore, Jack does the right thing. Or, does the wrong thing, for the right reason…

Even Akio seems to have a goal, motivating him forward, that is separate and apart from the cruelty he inflicts on others. His cruelty is a bi product of his ambition for whatever goal he has…which interestingly enough, boiled down in it’s simplest form, Akio wants power, Why? To become a prince again, or to become something good & worthy & noble again. Something he cannot ever do, because the very means he uses to acquire this power of Dios have made his the blackest soul of all. He maybe realizes this before the series has ever started, and so we see him, and he is insane…he just remembers the “wanting” and WANTS, like a child, as Gio so often describes him. 

It just seems he isn’t bothered by that cruelty, and his goal out weighs the suffering of those other people. For some bad guys, the suffering of others IS the goal. Those extreme cases, like serial killers, who for some reason, like to watch frightened people squirm for their lives. A mastermind like Akio, will watch someone squirm, you could even say that the squirming of others fuels all of his plans, but that’s not his end goal. He’s less evil, and more insane. One version of insanity I’ve heard, passed around in AA propaganda, is “doing the same thing expecting different results”.

So, actually, when rooting for the bad guy, one might be cheering for justice, against unjust laws. In some sick minds, Nelson Mandela was considered a bad guy, but anyone with a brain would definitely root for him. I think there’s merit to adoring baddies, but is it because those qualities are admired and respected for themselves, but for what they represent, which is the “peace on the other side of war”?

Again, no sense at all. I’ve lost myself. I had a point, something about bad guys had redeeming qualities, which makes them good in some lights, which in turn, would put good slightly over bad, or light and dark might not be distributed evenly. But have fun picking that out of this mess I’ve written.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

#8 | Back to Top12-29-2006 12:26:27 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

I think bad guys are so attractive because they give way to another world.  All in all, this world is pretty boring.
Giovanni has to kiss up to her boss. 
Most of us have to do the same.   (Sorry to use Giovanni as an example, but you said it perfectly, I think.)
Immagine if a badguy came in, and showed her away out of it?  Said, come along, and I'll show you a new world?   
We all have secerets we'd rather not keep, and this makes us unhappy and bored.
It's the dark knight on his black horse, he's much more charming then the good guy, and won't let his princess out of the new world he's bringing her into.
Badguys leave room for another world, another way of life, if Anthy didn't have Akio around, she wouldn't have the allure of the swords, there seceret relationship, excetera.  Utena wouldn't know for sure that she was special if Akio wasn't around.  I was quite attached to Utena and Anthy, but no matter what he did to them, I couldn't hate him because of the reality of this fact.  It's not that he tried to do this, but by accident, it happened.
I think the stronger the attraction is to another world, the stronger the attraction to badguys is.

Last edited by Iris (12-29-2006 12:27:55 AM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#9 | Back to Top12-29-2006 01:33:48 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

That's true, but I think in the end my biggest fear would be having to kiss up to my badguy.

Akio gives the impression that he doesn't have anyone he needs to kiss up to. That's debatable, though. o:

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#10 | Back to Top12-29-2006 04:21:54 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

If he really was your personal badguy, would it really be kissing up?  I think it'd just come naturally, someone who you'd really want to fawn over.
I think Akio would be very miffed at someone kissing up to him, he'd just want them to honestly adore him!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#11 | Back to Top12-29-2006 03:03:09 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Well, yeah, you have to kiss up & you have to conform... no one likes that. But why do you do it? So you can live like the good guy, and have the things the good guy is fighting for.

Bad guys are selfish. Interesting, Gio said "honest" because a lot of what we do is hide our own selfishness and pretend it isn't there. Bad guys are all about serving themselves, and they don't apologize. We serve others and apologize when "serving ourselves" pops out.

So, to truly align yourself with a bad guy, you might be shown a way out of having to apologize for yourself. A way out of being trapped by politeness.

But you would only need that in certain areas, in areas where YOU were being treated unfairly. That's when you want to lash out and be hateful. However, if you were in a circle you liked... okay, a lot of people were having dreams of IRG forum members together in some sort of gathering. We're all quirky friends here. In a gathering of people you liked, would you need power & control. Actually, would you want it?

Because, by assuming you could manipulate people into doing what you liked, if you genuinely liked those people, I don't think you'd really want that power...as if they did what you liked, you couldn't trust it. For instance, if you forced people to love you, could you trust the love? No. Would it matter, probably not to a bad guy. But to an average person, it probably would make a difference.

But, if you were in a position you hated, like a crappy work environment where you aren't respected, a school full of bullies who torment you, then the power to control others/make them suffer would be really alluring. You could use it to force the bullies to submit, and expose coworkers & evil bosses inferiority. Pretty much get even.

Those are all things a good guy would do too, though... The definition of evil, I've read, is highly contested. People were arguing, that according to a certain definition of "evil" one could not lable Hitler as evil. The definition of Evil in question, being, to consciously do wrong. So, highly respected Jewish biographers, studying the holocaust, were saying you could not say Hitler was evil, because in HIS mind, he was not doing wrong. Listening to that, makes one cringe, but according to the definition it's true. However, does that make his actions less wrong, not at all.

So I guess there are types of bad guys, ones who consciously do wrong, and one's who do wrong because of an ulterior selfish motive that is not in itself, wrong. Akio, I think, falls into the category of bad guys who do a lot of terrible things, because of something he's trying to get which he thinks is a good thing. Killers, would be of the type that do wrong, because wrong/chaos/suffering is their goal. We'd like to say that those are the SCARIEST bad guys, but in reality, I go back to the Hitler example, to say that perhaps the bad guys who don't even think they are wrong, are the most villainous of all.

#12 | Back to Top12-29-2006 04:49:25 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Is it just Akio for some of you? Do you tend to root for the bad guy in movies? Do you date dangerous people, find them more attractive? Why do you think this is? Is it a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing that is?

I tend to root for the villainess in movies, or the movie. Unless the hero has an edge to them like in Batman Begins. Maybe it was just Christian Bale. I don't date dangerous people, hehehe, people think I'm the dangerous one. Bad or good,is like black or white...and I think grey matter exists. Personally in SKU, I was not too attracted to Akio (Sorry Gio). I guess the whole thing about power is that it is like an aphrodisiac and people want power, they want what comes with it "freedom." And I suppose being "bad" is freedom. If you look at pop culture the devil is usually portrayed as the person having the most fun or the person who has little to answer to.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#13 | Back to Top12-29-2006 05:05:54 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I tend to prefer bad guys who believe that they are right not because they are loony or warped but because they don't think the good guys way of doing things is realistic or workable (eg Magneto)

#14 | Back to Top12-29-2006 05:11:42 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Well, Frosty, there's a pretty popular idea that the best-written villains are the ones who are essentially heroic in their nature; that is, convinced that they're doing what they must to help the world, and willing to take on the cost. I suppose that can be said of real life too - a lot of the things we regard as the real 'acts of evil' were completely justified by the perpetrators. I suppose a good contemporary example is terrorism, though one could note the Holocaust, or the Salem witch trials, or the ethnic cleansings in so many nations... really, every violent event is usually preceded by the thought "This is right."

And I think, in a sense, that's what a lot of 'evil' is. It's not "I want to cause harm so I will do so," it's "I belive in this goal, and I will cause harm to bring it to fruition. Because I'm right." Then of course are the people who are 'getting even' as Frosty put it - they're justifying their actions too, it's simply that their usually morality seems to be buried under the sense of indignity from their environment.

"So Almaser, what does this have to do with why Akio is a sexy, sexy bastard?"
Glad you asked!

Arrogance. Arrogance, or perhaps Confidence, is what makes people believe they're right enough to do whatever they think they should do. Akio's no exception to this, either; he truly believes, or has made himself believe, that keeping Anthy inside Ohtori is the best possible path. Despite all of his depictions of himself as some fallen prince, as the ruined shell, he wants to stay that way. He knows he controls the student body (lol innuendo) and he knows he's the one that Anthy still desires. He's got reason to be confident in his powers within the vaulted world of Ohtori, he's got reason to believe he's doing exactly what he should do.

Arrogance and Confidence are also very commonly regarded as traits that, while perhaps not always desirable, are impressive. That pain-in-the-ass guy who thinks he's God's gift to women, who you just can't ignore despite how much you think you should, or that incredibly attractive man in a suit who wears it, who makes you aware that he's in a suit and hot. They catch our eye, and they fascinate us.

Again, Akio is no different - he radiates this certainty and power, he looks good from just about every single angle (not sure about topdown, but I imagine he would), and he's almost sexually overwhelming. He's exactly what he wants to be, really; the undeniable man, in whom everyone sees something to be attracted to. We don't care that he's the antagonist, that he's causing Himemiya harm. It's incidental to the sheer force of his personality.

(Remind me to do one of these when I've had a proper night's sleep... apologies to all who struggled through that)

#15 | Back to Top12-29-2006 06:40:49 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

I tend to prefer bad guys who believe that they are right not because they are loony or warped but because they don't think the good guys way of doing things is realistic or workable (eg Magneto)

Magneto and his kind are a blast, but I honestly tend to forget they're the bad guy, even if they wear black and get all the cool lines. Nevermind how it's presented and how clearly they're the 'villain', I see both sides and can easily agree with either one of them such that I have a hard time going 'that one's wrong'. Yes, we know Xavier's solution is prettier and nicer, but there are plenty of cases in human history where it wasn't the solution to bear fruit. If the conflict between the hero and villain is so clearly a moral one, I'm very unlikely to decide either of them is good or bad.

I also rarely count characters who are specifically out to make others suffer to be villains. What? Yes. I don't usually count those because the vast majority of the time, they're literally god damn out of their minds. Psychopaths and sociopaths are nasty business, but they're not villains to me, they're too driven by a disorder they probably didn't choose to have. Now granted, some of them are calculating enough to ease into villain territory, like Hannibal Lecter. Which brings us to...

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

I almost invariably root for the bad guy. Off the top of my head I can only think of Lord of the Rings as the exception. I would also add James Bond, but my favorite Bond movie also has my favorite villain, although I wasn't so much rooting for him as wishing the both of them would walk into my living room and screw the bejeezus out of me. etc-wankgirl

There's no real life experience to relate my preference for villains in entertainment to my daily life, as I've never had the opportunity to get involved with any dangerous people. I'm quite sure if I ran into a guy with the personality traits I value in most of my baddies, that I'd soak my panties and probably attempt to grind them a little on his leg, but I actually trust myself to have the wisdom to keep a safe psychological distance. Probably sticking my foot in my mouth there.

As for the why...Almaser pretty much totally said it. Arrogance. Ego. Power and the sense to flaunt it. Villains do what they want, and it tends to result in that set of traits, after all, if you're in it for you, and you get what you want...well you're pretty hot stuff then, aren't you?

There are just all kinds of villains, but the ones that are arrogant and selfish tend to get the most interest from me. Honestly, the group that does horrible things and thinks that they're in the moral right tend to interest me the least, but I'm distinguishing between that group and the group that does horrible things because they think it's perfectly alright. It's a hard difference to explain, except that one is backed by morality and the other is usually backed by a 'reasonable' argument. 'KILL WITCHES FOR GOD' versus 'We're animals and animals fight for dominance, thus it's perfectly alright to kill my boss.' The latter is where most portrayals of the devil fall. It's not their moral sensibilities justifying their behavior, but rather it's usually a very cynical or pessimistic worldview, one so bad that their actions don't matter or they'll argue only their interests matter, since the world is screwed anyway and it's every man for himself except for the sheep that get slaughtered. Those are the ones that stick with me, they tend to take a cynical view of life and twist it into a 'moral' justification for grossly selfish behavior. (Akio? Meet Gordon Gekko.) I suspect they're my favorite because I often dance very, very close to seeing the world that way and it's oh so seductive.

#16 | Back to Top12-29-2006 06:55:37 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

DEEP MEANINGFUL DISCUSSION ABOUT VILLIANS WITH LOTS OF POWER WORDS

*is jealous of how easily you can put your thoughts into text* emot-aaa

#17 | Back to Top12-30-2006 02:08:48 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I can't explain my take on villains without explaining a chunk of my moral system. Sorry guys, feel free to skip it if you'd like.

I don't believe in evil. Not even a little.

By the same token, I don't really believe in good. I'm trying not to go all RAGE AGAINST TEH MACHINE on you here, but seriously, think about it a second. We generally consider things that our society accepts as good to be good. We generally consider things that our society accepts to be evil as evil. And no matter who you are, if you are not raised in this society, you will not be instilled with these values-- that's not to say that you can't hold comparable ones, but your view of right and wrong, good and evil, will always be tainted by the perspective of the culture you grew up in.

What does that make good into? Good, in some areas of the world, is carving off a girl's labia majora and pulling out her clitoris by the root, stitching the labia together, and leaving a tiny hole for urination and menstruation.  The husband is supposed to break open the scar tissue when he wants sex; the scarring is sewn shut to be broken open again upon childbirth, and then sewn shut yet again afterward to repeat the cycle. This is good. Stopping it is evil.

What can those words possibly mean beside something like that? To those people, in that place, in that time, that is good. That's one of the signs that a daughter is virtuous, and if she does not have that done to her, she cannot hope to marry well. The evil is in preventing the child from having the outward signs of virtuousness.

I find this practice disgusting. How can good mean anything at all if it means that? I can't imagine a world where that is considered good, and yet I live in it.

Good is not a useful word to me, and neither is evil. It's really in the eye of the beholder as to whether Hitler was evil; I think he was a person making the decisions he thought to be best. That doesn't mean I agree with or condone his decisions. In fact, given the chance, I'd happily murder him and anyone like him. But he was a person acting in the way that he felt best. I can respect that without respecting the actual decisions he made. I can also respect people like Mother Teresa. She, too, was making her decisions in the way that she felt best. I happen to agree with her more often than I agree with Hitler, but that does not impose a standard on her behavior outside the way I personally see it. It just means we agree on some things. Not even all things. I don't believe in monogamy. I don't believe in strictly heterosexual relationships. I don't believe in Christianity. I don't agree with them at all. By the same token, I do believe in the value of art, and the importance of family, and the need to inspire people to action. And those are all values of Hitler's.

How can those things be classified so simply into good and evil?

It's too complex. I can't bring myself to think that one of those people is good and the other is evil. One of them is someone I would kill, and the other is someone I would be kind to. But that implies a moral judgment of some sort, doesn't it? I have to have some basis for making that decision. I'm not going to pretend that I'm entirely free of the moral restrictions of this culture, but I happen to like a lot of the moral views, if not the beliefs and imperatives they seem to carry with them. I tend to believe, and it's perhaps the only aspect of Wicca I carried away when I left it, that harm is undesirable, and help is desirable. I can see this purely from putting myself in others' shoes. I would prefer to be helped, so I help. I would prefer not to be harmed, so I try to prevent harm. This is the criteria on which I base my judgment of myself, because I damn well said it was going to be.

But I really have no right to judge anyone else or hold them to my standard. I decided on it. They didn't. My morals apply to me alone.

Which, coming back to the point, brings me to villains. You can probably guess already that I don't see villains as any more or less evil than anyone else. I can't. They're not subject to my morals. You can probably guess, too, that despite that, there are rather a lot of villains I'd just plain choose to get rid of, because I disagreed with their actions and in my opinion, they weren't accomplishing anything but causing pain. They may not be subject to my morals, but they are subject to the actions I determine to be morally right for myself. Akio's not one of the ones I would get rid of. Why? Because he has enough qualities that I value to save him from that fate. He doesn't go on the death train with the rest of the people I don't like, because a) he's hot, b) he's intelligent, c) I could learn from him, and d) he's lazy/cowardly enough to limit himself to less harm than he could inflict. He doesn't get off easily, however, because I disagree with his views and he does end up doing more harm than good. It boils down to this: I like him, but he's on the line. It doesn't prevent me from enjoying watching him, but if I was to take in in a realistic sense, I would be close to offing someone like that, and the only thing holding me back would be how much he limited his capacity to do harm. I may not have the right to judge him morally, but I would feel the stirrings of a moral imperative to remove a source of harm to me and others.

In the sense that he's a fictional character, it's a moot point. He's fictional, and he's harming no one. I can feel free to enjoy the aspects of his character that I feel are desirable without having to consider whether the world would be better off without him. The same with any other fictional villain. I can admire them for the qualities I find worthy of admiration without feeling any moral imperative over them, because they're not real. There's no reason to be offended or disgusted by their behavior, because it didn't actually happen. I guess it's one thing to apply morals to a real-life situation and a completely different thing to apply them to fiction.

Hopefully this makes some sense... it's late, and I'm tired. I love arguing morality, though.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#18 | Back to Top12-30-2006 04:10:37 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I do have ideas of what "good" and "evil" are, and I'm moderately religious, which I suppose would make me more like mainstream America than anyone else on this forum. I am, however, aware enough to know that morals are relative, and as such so are good and evil. What is good for me is easily evil for someone else and vice versa. I suppose I use the terms because they're easy enough to understand. I tend to think that morals shouldn't influence the creation of law in an already-stable society, but if nothing is either right or wrong, why have laws at all? It makes for interesting food for thought, as I don't have the answer.

Yasha wrote:

In the sense that he's a fictional character, it's a moot point. He's fictional, and he's harming no one. I can feel free to enjoy the aspects of his character that I feel are desirable without having to consider whether the world would be better off without him. The same with any other fictional villain. I can admire them for the qualities I find worthy of admiration without feeling any moral imperative over them, because they're not real. There's no reason to be offended or disgusted by their behavior, because it didn't actually happen. I guess it's one thing to apply morals to a real-life situation and a completely different thing to apply them to fiction.

And that, I think, is why we like the villain in stories.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#19 | Back to Top12-30-2006 05:56:15 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Personally I'm most in agreement with Yasha, here. I, personally have renounced good and evil from my ethical lexicon, as they can be used to mean so many things, often contradictory to each other. Also, I see no reason to believe that morals and ethics are anything more than human creations used to make human life functional. I have often gotten into debates because of this - many immediately state that because I think morals are relative, I'm supporting raping babies and other, most disgusting things my opponents can think of. That, ofcourse isn't true. As I have a fully functional sense of empathy, I'm capable of mirroring feelings of others - I couldn't be happy if everyone around me was miserable. I can imagine what the pain of others feels like and I don't like it, one bit. I base my ethics purely on this sense of empathy and I don't think there is a better guideline to my actions than that.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I tend to think that morals shouldn't influence the creation of law in an already-stable society, but if nothing is either right or wrong, why have laws at all? It makes for interesting food for thought, as I don't have the answer.

Social rules exist to make a functional society where people can interact and live their lives without fear. Today these social rules are formalized as systems of laws that define acceptable and unacceptable behaviour in a society. However, another, just as important purpose for laws is to uphold a certain power-structure within the society and ensure that this power-structure can only change under a certain set of rules. Laws have no direct relationship with ethics, even though they are normally modelled after the ethical models of their creators. Ethics are very personal guidelines that can easily adapt to different situations, whereas the laws are rigid rules designed to uphold a certain order. Sometimes following your ethics can demand you to break the law or vice versa.

It is neccecary to have a set of rules, if you wish to live in a society - those ethical rules are tools of human interaction. My favourite metaphor on the matter, which I cooked up during a certain ethical debate is that you need hammers and nails to build a house - it's not absolutely neccecary to have a house or to live in it, but it makes life much more easier all around. Same way living in a society isn't completely neccecary, but almost everybody prefers it infinately to the other choice and in order to live in a society, we need social tools, the ethical rules. They aren't neccecarily formalized laws - they are a relatively new invention in their current form - but they must make it possible for people to interact without fear for each other.

And as for villains, they are so symphatetic because they tend to be so determined and strong and they dare to act against the social and ethical norms of their surroundings in order to make great and ambitious acheivements. We all have certainly wanted to do the same, at some point of our lives. The villains dare to rebel in order to create something new. All great heroes and innovators have done so, as well. The villains just tend to take even greater lenghts to acheive their ends.
For the same reason the villains who are doing the right thing under their social norms, like the witch-burners and nazis rarely get the same sympathy - they are conforming to their social order and enforcing others to do the same with maximum prejudice. That rarely appeals to people - except when they are personally doing the same.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#20 | Back to Top12-30-2006 07:14:10 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I really liked what Lightice said about "ethics based on empathy" and Yasha's similar, "I would prefer to be helped, so I help. I would prefer not to be harmed, so I try to prevent harm." Could all average human interactions, in their simplest form, be boiled down to these concepts? The squabbling comes, maybe from different ideas on who exactly receives the empathy, or who (or what circumstance) most deserves being saved from harm. Is it the Religious Text, or the Person. The idea, or the human. The woman, or the fetus. The celebrity hounded by the press, or the cameramen paying their bills. The prisoner, or the person injured by the prisoner. Friend A or friend B. The person bit by a wild animal, or the wild animal who was conditioned to come to people forkfood BY people. In all of our interactions with people we're making these assessments, aren't we?

Then comes the villains, who can throw away the whole lot of questions, and answer with #1. Another trait came to mind, while reading the things we admire about villains, which would be their attitude to compromise. As a strong villain, will get what he wants, without compromising that goal. The villain has within his power to do whatever he's capable of, so long as his goal is reached. A wimpy villain isn't dedicated, maybe gives up when thwarted by the hero one too many times. The respectable villain won't ever quit. Akio's still writing letters a day after the final duel. Although, he doesn't know anything was finalized at the time we see him writing. Will he still be writing letters after Anthy's gone. I'd like to think so. (In an Alum Harnum fanfic, Akio actually writes to Anthy - but waaay off topic there)

I do think there may be some sort of subconscious standard, of moral code or whatever, of "fairness"...what is a respect that is rightly reserved for each person to be treated with. I read a fitting illustration which posed two person's sharing an orange. If you were one of those people, and someone took more than what was their share, you'd immediately pipe up, "That's not fair!" But where's this idea of fairness come from? It's not religious-based, as you really don't need religion to feel that someone has treaded on unfairness. If someone purposely kicks you, you feel a slight outrage, that you would not feel if you saw that the kick was on accident. Why do we have these feelings of outrage, is it because someone has stepped on the line of what was fair, and decent? It would imply that there was some sort of standard through all the cultures, affecting all the people...this idea of fairness, or being treated "right". I read it, and it made sense to me at the time. I'd love to hear other's take?

Last edited by Frosty (12-30-2006 07:19:12 AM)

#21 | Back to Top12-30-2006 08:54:13 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Bah to the concepts of "good" and "evil"... it's all a matter of perspective.  I personally just find people who persevere for their goals sexier.  "Villains" typically think for themselves and break some sort of mold.  I'm all for the non-conformist.  Read Milton's "Paradise Lost" and just try to tell me you'd chose God over the Devil.

Last edited by Scortia (12-30-2006 08:56:49 PM)

#22 | Back to Top12-31-2006 05:59:17 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Scortia wrote:

Bah to the concepts of "good" and "evil"... it's all a matter of perspective.  I personally just find people who persevere for their goals sexier.  "Villains" typically think for themselves and break some sort of mold.  I'm all for the non-conformist.  Read Milton's "Paradise Lost" and just try to tell me you'd chose God over the Devil.

I agree with you totally on this front -- the heroes of any piece are typically bound by the rules and etiquette of the morals and beliefs of their society, whereas the villains have no such compuctions towards conformation to such, so they just...tend to be more interesting to me. The heroes who question their society and work out their own moral code are the ones I find more intereresting, as well...because in some ways they are tending more towards the thought processes of a villain. Thing is, though, their motives tend towards the selfless rather than the selfish, which is the major distinction between the two. I think Yasha's got the right end of the stick, actually -- it's not about evil nor good, black nor white: it's all in the way the power one acquires is actually used. The "good" tend to be more philanthropic than the "bad," which is...good, yes. It's just the "baddies" have a far more interesting journey getting to their ends than do the "goodies," sometimes.

And right now I am wishing I was at home, because I did a theology paper in high school/university that dealt with ethics. And it wasn't in the typical "ethics as a framework for decision making" sense (which is what I use every day at work), but rather "ethics as a means of establishing a functional society within the confines of an organised religion," which was...well, it exploded my brain, actually. But it was interesting, because ethics aren't usually as personal as we think; they are dictated by our society, and it's the villains of the pieces who tend to reject this ideal and search for their answers elsewhere.

Giovanna wrote:

There are just all kinds of villains, but the ones that are arrogant and selfish tend to get the most interest from me. Honestly, the group that does horrible things and thinks that they're in the moral right tend to interest me the least, but I'm distinguishing between that group and the group that does horrible things because they think it's perfectly alright. It's a hard difference to explain, except that one is backed by morality and the other is usually backed by a 'reasonable' argument. 'KILL WITCHES FOR GOD' versus 'We're animals and animals fight for dominance, thus it's perfectly alright to kill my boss.' The latter is where most portrayals of the devil fall. It's not their moral sensibilities justifying their behavior, but rather it's usually a very cynical or pessimistic worldview, one so bad that their actions don't matter or they'll argue only their interests matter, since the world is screwed anyway and it's every man for himself except for the sheep that get slaughtered. Those are the ones that stick with me, they tend to take a cynical view of life and twist it into a 'moral' justification for grossly selfish behavior. (Akio? Meet Gordon Gekko.) I suspect they're my favorite because I often dance very, very close to seeing the world that way and it's oh so seductive.

I also tend to find the latter group more interesting -- and that's probably justified by what I just said above. The latter group is working on a set of individual beliefs that they have (probably) arrived at independently, which is by and large a fascinating process. People who kill in the name of something greater -- such as god, king or country...or some combination thereof -- tend to interest me less. At least, those at the helm do; the workday soldier getting his head blown off in the field, I find HIM interesting. The general sipping champagne fifty miles behind enemy lines, less so. But I don't particularly want to get into a discussion of religion, so I'll stick to Darwinism. I find THAT really interesting, although as a pacifist I don't personally believe in it. If anyone's watched Rurouni Kenshin, you'll have seen the show that first echoed my own thoughts loud enough for me to hear them. I'm far more like Himura Kenshin than Shishio Makoto; I believe in protecting those who can't protect themselves, not in the kill-or-be-killed creedo of the Juppongatana. But Shishio's obsession with the way the strong survive and the weak just die made him a really interesting character to me, though he was certainly the villain of the piece. Why did I end up preferring the hero? Possibly because Kenshin has a strict moral code that he came to on his own...and, most importantly, that it was a code that puts him outside the sphere of his society at large. Sure, the world in general is supposed to want to behave as Kenshin does. Funny how he's only one of a few who do.

And er, I'm rambling. Sorry. emot-rolleyes

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#23 | Back to Top01-01-2007 03:46:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Scortia wrote:

This is it, for me. Actually I should have noted that and didn't bother to, my philosophy there is much like Yasha's. When I say 'good' and 'evil' I tend to treat the terms as plot devices in story; though fascinating in a book or series or whatever else, I don't think they're really applicable in day to day life. The psychological realism in SKU is what leads to the sour taste I get in my mouth whenever anyone in the series is labelled 'good' or 'evil'. Yes, that includes Akio.

One thing that I do notice that, now that I think of it, tends to drive my interest in villains, is that they're always the 'reasonable' character. A hero never has to explain their motives, and when they do, it often boils down to some dodgy rant about doing the right thing or being a good person, and ultimately they don't have to reason out their behavior in logical manner because no one questions it. 'I would die for a friend' 'Why?' 'It's the right thing to do.' 'Why?' 'uh...' Versus villains who often have to reasonably explain their motives to justify their behavior. Why is it always the depiction of Satan that does all the talking? That's something that draws me to villains. The need of a 'bad' person to justify or explain their behavior leads to them being able to reasonably justify horrible things while the hero can't justify stopping them. Akio spends episode 38 talking around Utena while she can hardly answer him without it being an emotional response. I love it.

As for Paradise Lost, I don't think it should count, because I'm quite sure Milton took every precaution to make God as miserably boring as possible. emot-gonk

Seriously, what the crap? emot-gonk

It's supposed to be a warning about how seductive the devil is. Fine, I get it. Consider me seduced. What, we're going to choose the OH CHORUS OF GOD SING HIS PRAISE HE'S PERFECT over an incredibly charismatic, smooth talking, scheming nasty nasty fallen angel? One of those is going to make for a pretty boring Saturday night.

#24 | Back to Top01-01-2007 07:51:09 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Giovanna wrote:

As for Paradise Lost, I don't think it should count, because I'm quite sure Milton took every precaution to make God as miserably boring as possible. emot-gonk

Seriously, what the crap? emot-gonk

It's supposed to be a warning about how seductive the devil is. Fine, I get it. Consider me seduced. What, we're going to choose the OH CHORUS OF GOD SING HIS PRAISE HE'S PERFECT over an incredibly charismatic, smooth talking, scheming nasty nasty fallen angel? One of those is going to make for a pretty boring Saturday night.

LMAO.  Most people speculate that Milton put himself into the character of the devil so he really is intended to be a sympathetic anti-hero... which I guess would leave God being a flake.  Well, really, Uriel was hilariously stupid and dull beyond anything God managed in that book. 

Reminds me of Angel Sanctuary. God was a lame jerk and the devil was sexy and tragic. emot-keke

Board footer