This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-31-2012 09:08:10 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

The Purpose of Nemuro's research

It was to create Ohtori.
However much power Anthy and Akio may have over the minds of people, I firmly believe them to be very much mundane otherwise. Therefore, the trouble was creating a world in which they could eternally seek the Power to bring the World Revolution without the outside noticing. Akio's solution?
Get together the most brilliant minds of the world and set them all on one task:to create an entire world under the control of man, rather than nature. Ohtori Academy was built around Nemuro Memorial Hall; a world that could be altered and changed at will. The dream of all mankind: to become as God.
And the purpose of burning down the building? It was still part of the 'real' world, and Akio recognized that it could prove a liability. So he convinces Nemuro to burn it down, and then rebuild it was part of Ohtori itself. Then he stashes Nemuro under a desk for thirty years, using the power of Ohtori to prevent his and his sister's aging, and holds the dueling game in the school in order to gain true godly power.
(As an aside, why was the building still called Nemuro Memorial Hall in the 'correct' timeline when it had never been rebuilt to be memorialized at all? I wonder...)

#2 | Back to Top04-03-2012 12:44:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: The Purpose of Nemuro's research

I like it! It definitely gives there a continuity and reason for the existence of things at all. Nemuro's 'research' creates the duel arena, though. He opens the option for other human beings to fight for this power that either doesn't exist, is illusory and under the control of Akio and Anthy, or does, but none of the parties actually realize what form it takes.

I wonder though, the cutting them off from the real world sounds (in SKU logic) more like the job of Akio's projector, which Nemuro had no part in. Do you think the duel arena Nemuro built and the projector serve different functions?

This sounds really fun to try and hash out. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top04-03-2012 03:43:42 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Giovanna wrote:

I wonder though, the cutting them off from the real world sounds (in SKU logic) more like the job of Akio's projector, which Nemuro had no part in. Do you think the duel arena Nemuro built and the projector serve different functions?

Didn't Nemuro's research just open the way to the Duelling Arena, not actually create it? I'm pretty sure that was the wording in those episodes. Maybe whatever was done "calibrated" the projector somehow, if not outright creae it to produce the illusion?

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#4 | Back to Top04-05-2012 05:35:32 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

The Black Rose Book wrote:

The meaning of the "pointing fingers"?
They're telling you that there's someone controlling the laws of this world.

That's it. Case closed, then.

Oh wait...

same wrote:

...Just kidding.

Damn it. emot-frown

#5 | Back to Top04-05-2012 07:07:21 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Giovanna wrote:

We don't actually know that Nemuro had no hand in creating the projector, do we? It could very well be (relatively) new, the result of Nemuro's research. Akio's unveiling of it to Utena could be seen as half trying to disillusion her, half showing off a shiny new toy. And then he's so miffed when she fails to be impressed...

#6 | Back to Top05-22-2012 10:13:42 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

My take on Nemuro's research comes in the form of part 3 of my ongoing fic Seinen Kakumei Utena emot-wink

http://forums.ohtori.nu/viewtopic.php?id=3026

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#7 | Back to Top07-29-2015 02:41:37 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Atropos wrote:

Oh wait...

same wrote:

...Just kidding.

Damn it. emot-frown

So, because of my re-watch im digging up all the good ol' catalogue entries and poking through these things... What is the Black Rose Book being referred to here? I just finished BRS and im trying to wrap my head around everything. I came straight here to find the pointing fingers too... Sorry to drag it out, could someone point me in some directions? (preferably the right ones emot-tongue)

#8 | Back to Top07-29-2015 11:57:02 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

I posted something about this in the personal canon thread and thought I was originalIamsostupid emot-rofl.

I really like the idea that nothing in Ohtori is actual magic, but just very advanced technology that uses fairytale cliches the same way we use cellphone themes.

Would like to know about that Black Rose Book as well.

[Could the pointing hands be cursors if the entire Black Rose arc is VIRTUAL REALITY? school-eng101]

#9 | Back to Top07-29-2015 12:02:07 PM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

Oh Snow, I love it! etc-love
Or maybe cats were just error of the matrix? school-sherlock

#10 | Back to Top07-29-2015 12:36:29 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I really like this theory.  I always believed that at least the hydraulic system that opens the way to the arena was Nemuro's doing.

I wonder if Nemuro's research had something to do with quantum mechanics. Hence the cats, a subtle reference to Schrödinger's cat. It would also make sense in a strange way given Nemuro and later Mikage's status as both dead and alive at the same time.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (07-29-2015 12:36:51 PM)

#11 | Back to Top07-29-2015 10:47:50 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

KissFromARose wrote:

Atropos wrote:

Oh wait...

same wrote:

...Just kidding.

Damn it. emot-frown

So, because of my re-watch im digging up all the good ol' catalogue entries and poking through these things... What is the Black Rose Book being referred to here? I just finished BRS and im trying to wrap my head around everything. I came straight here to find the pointing fingers too... Sorry to drag it out, could someone point me in some directions? (preferably the right ones emot-tongue)

It's from the extras booklets that are included in the Rightstuf release, which - among many other invaluable resources - have episode-by-episode commentary from Ikuhara. The release is worth picking up for those booklets alone.

Last edited by Aelanie (07-29-2015 10:50:58 PM)

#12 | Back to Top07-31-2015 02:58:40 AM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Giovanna wrote:

I wonder though, the cutting them off from the real world sounds (in SKU logic) more like the job of Akio's projector, which Nemuro had no part in.

I've got to wonder, could Nemuro "opening the way to the duelling arena" subtly imply that he created the projector? That seems like it would make sense.

#13 | Back to Top08-02-2015 07:44:23 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Aelanie wrote:

It's from the extras booklets that are included in the Rightstuf release, which - among many other invaluable resources - have episode-by-episode commentary from Ikuhara. The release is worth picking up for those booklets alone.

Dear Everyone,

I just went to San Japan Anime / Game convention and bought the entire DVD release w/ the booklets. This has rendered my re-watch null and will now begin again. Thanks for the money drop etc-love etc-wankgirl

Board footer