This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-02-2009 11:49:05 AM

Haku Vinevaldi
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Am i the only one who gets depressed watching utena?

I seriously get into deep depression everytime i watch it, and i don't know why. i love it so much, but i don't know. am i the only one?

#2 | Back to Top03-02-2009 01:13:55 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Re: Am i the only one who gets depressed watching utena?

I used to get into a very deep depression because I felt that the situations explored in the show were very similar to my own. It especially annoyed me how it appeared that manipulative psychopathic characters were glorified - anyone who has had to deal with these people know the devastating toll they take. Eventually, I realized the true context of the series, and that the intent was the furthest thing from glorification.

So yes. Or at least I used to.  But I love the show for being that effective and now I can watch it without feeling down. The whole episodes that still really depress me upon repeat viewings are poor Mikage's ending episodes and the finale.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#3 | Back to Top03-02-2009 06:22:00 PM

End of the Tour
Ballgoer

There are times when I watch Utena - especially certain episodes - and cry like crazy, but I think it's more cathartic than depressing.  Things like that are necessary sometimes, I've found.

Sometimes life is about making difficult sandwiches.

#4 | Back to Top03-02-2009 09:52:59 PM

Esmenet
Tenjou Tilter

There were a few episodes that made me sad -- Mikage's and then Ruka's 'graduation's for one/two -- but overall I feel like Utena, while not a happy series, is . . . something else. I thought of SKU after watching Eva (the series; EoE is DisContinuity for me), because they have the same feeling at the end. You can grow up, you can change, you can be more than what you think you are.

The bird is struggling out of the egg. The egg is the world. Whoever wants to be born must first destroy a world. [The bird is flying to God. The name of the God is called Abraxas.]

#5 | Back to Top03-03-2009 03:40:32 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I stopped my rewatch of SKU last week at the end of the Black Rose Sage because I didn't want to deal with the depression I knew was ahead. A lot of episodes make me feel depressed because I can't help but take what's going on so seriously. More specifically, I get depressed when my favorite pairings are being toyed with, or when characters I like are doing the exact opposite of what I want them to do.

Seeing Shiori upset is depressing because I want to save her with all my heart, only she's fictional, and there's nothing I can do. emot-frown

#6 | Back to Top03-03-2009 05:34:30 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

i do get a little depressed every time.
i even cry like mad sometimes.

but, only when i'm alone.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#7 | Back to Top03-03-2009 09:56:57 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Aw my fellow fans who get depressed, huggles for you all. poptart

I find Utena an EXTREMELY depressing series in every possible way - I guess that's part of the reason that I love it so, for I'm very into angst.

In fact the final 2 episodes are so depressing for me I still haven't managed to re-watch them in their entirety (instead I watch bits and pieces, and re-read the entirely brilliant scripts).

I know the ending is a happy one. But it makes me feel sad like nothing else can. emot-gonk

#8 | Back to Top03-03-2009 11:26:07 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Yay! sharnii huggles! *glomps*

I wouldn't necessarily the ending is a happy one. I mean, Anthy escapes. But there's so much ambiguity as to whether she ever does re-unite with Utena. In my personal interpretation, she does, but it's the uncertainty that drives me nuts.

Having a community really helps, though. So too does the humor. I think I'm slowly getting desensitized.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#9 | Back to Top03-04-2009 01:00:42 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

There are certainly moments in the show that make me sad but I've never really felt depressed. I think, if I were still in high school when I first watched the show I probably would have had additional depression fro the show. I beleive it's becuase of the subject matter of the show and the type of struggles and growth each character must go through.

I think what keeps me from being so very depressed about the show now is that I have a lot of hope. I don't like that bad things that happen to certain characters, but I ultinately have to beleive that every trial and tribulation is an event that helps those characters become better in themselves and reach their personal happy endings. And being a writer I know that happy endings are never really endings..endings are never really that permanant (in cases of death this can be highly debated). All endings are, even ones that are opened ended and leave you guessing is the closing of a chapater and the start of something new.

So like when I see Shiori, for instance and all that stuff with Ruka...I have to beleive that at the end of it, when all is said in done it helped her see herself in a different light so that she doesn't need a prince and can save herself. She can be her own prince. Maybe that's why she joined the fencing team.

So there you go.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#10 | Back to Top03-05-2009 01:29:46 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

{ luv on sharnii }
i believe a lot of what you said, too, Alithea.
a great deal of my tears at the end weren't about depression at all, but this overwhelming sense of hope, and possibility. this is a sensation i've never felt for anything in my real life, and it was uplifting, and kind of horrifying at the same time. it was serious ambivalence. i was happy, and sad, and hopeful.

powerful, powerful stuff, SKU.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#11 | Back to Top03-05-2009 04:04:12 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I've never been depressed in the truest sense of the word. Yeah a lot of moments choke me up, but what's good about Utena is it's not all sunshine and roses.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#12 | Back to Top03-05-2009 06:12:06 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

I don't get depressed while watching Utena...because I get FURIOUS on behalf of my favorite characters instead. emot-mad Admittingly, it's only in one or two scenes throughout the whole series, but most shows that I watch either bring out my love of wacky fun or my cool, analytical critical side. Only a few fictional characters have ever brought out my protective side on such a personal level. You know that a show's good when it makes you want to jump into the screen, shield your favorite character from her tormentors, and then talk to her like friends once the fighting's all gone. (Or you also want to fight alongside her as she beats up her bullies while trading banter about things completely inconsequential like in action shows). etc-love

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#13 | Back to Top03-06-2009 05:19:07 AM

Nickyhabac
Wakaba Wrangler

When Akio has sex with Utena in the hotel room.

Anything to do with Akio, Kanae and the former's mother.

Disturrbiaaa.

Side-note: Although she's one of my favourite characters, spending a day with Utena trying to entertain me is also a rather depressing thought. I think it would involve a lot of sport, shouting and having to explain things to her more than once.

Last edited by Nickyhabac (03-06-2009 05:26:44 AM)

#14 | Back to Top03-06-2009 09:37:53 AM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

Nickyhabac wrote:

Side-note: Although she's one of my favourite characters, spending a day with Utena trying to entertain me is also a rather depressing thought. I think it would involve a lot of sport, shouting and having to explain things to her more than once.

Sports and shouting, yes, but you shouldn't have to explain too many technical things to Utena because she's not cognitively dumb, merely naive. She doesn't have a good eye for seeing through conspiracies, manipulation, or hidden motives, but assuming you're spending a normal day with her away from all of RGU's Machiavellian crap, that shouldn't be a problem. If you don't like sports and shouting on the other hand...

-Charles Bauldelaire

#15 | Back to Top03-07-2009 04:29:29 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I get depressed watching certain episodes -- mainly Mikage ones, funnily enough -- but I think I'm one of those strange people who finds the ending more uplifting than depressing. It's the photograph, and the voice-over. I am one of the most cynical and pessimistic people I know, yet I can't take the ending as a downer. It makes me smile. It gives me hope. And...maybe that's why it has endured for me, this series. Because at face value, that's totally not the kind of person I am. etc-love

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#16 | Back to Top03-08-2009 01:35:02 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

*Huggles for JelliKatz & Sou!* poptart

JelliKatz: I wouldn't necessarily the ending is a happy one. I mean, Anthy escapes. But there's so much ambiguity as to whether she ever does re-unite with Utena. In my personal interpretation, she does, but it's the uncertainty that drives me nuts.

Yeah exactly, the ambiguity I struggle with. Utena being in pain and saying she failed, and the swords coming for her. Followed by Anthy finding her "no matter what" is good...but hey, all that stuff still happened to our hero. And Anthy has to find this "other world" first to find Utena.

Hence my compulsive fanfic-ing. emot-rofl

Having a community really helps, though. So too does the humor. I think I'm slowly getting desensitized.

Totally. Although I've found many fans have a dif interpretation of the ending to me (which I really appreciate considering too).
Actually there's so many interpretations to different parts/characters I never would have thought of without my fellow fans. Much love to you all! etc-love
Of course I also enjoy putting my 2 cents-interpretations in whenever possible...
Mostly it's good just to discuss Utena endlessly (since I endlessly want to), and indulge black humor to the utmost.

#17 | Back to Top03-08-2009 04:05:32 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

Clarice wrote:

I get depressed watching certain episodes -- mainly Mikage ones, funnily enough -- but I think I'm one of those strange people who finds the ending more uplifting than depressing. It's the photograph, and the voice-over. I am one of the most cynical and pessimistic people I know, yet I can't take the ending as a downer. It makes me smile. It gives me hope. And...maybe that's why it has endured for me, this series. Because at face value, that's totally not the kind of person I am. etc-love

I'm one of the few realists among my friends, most of whom are either Utena-like idealists or Akio-like cynicists, and yet I love the ending too. I suppose it's because realists are people who refuse to gloss over horrors. We see exactly how tragic the world can be, yet we don't flinch from it, nor do we let that knowlege break us down and completely destroy our sense of hope. And that's represented in RGU's ending. Anthy may have partially stayed in Ohtori due to a guilty complex or out of love for a poor shell of Dios, but the largest force keeping her enslaved was her fear and resentment of the outside world. After all, once Anthy leaves the Dueling game and steps outside of the protection of Ohtori's magic, at best, she'd be powerless and alone. At worst, who's to say that someone won't try to torture her again? So Anthy stays in Ohtori where she at least has an illusion of power from controlling her Duelist pawns. Being the Rose Bride who's regularly stabbed by a million swords is, of course, worse than being in the outside world, but Anthy's fear, anger, and pain prevented from her from realizing that. An irrational reaction, if a realistic one. However, Utena's sacrifice destroyed the worst of her fear and resentment so Anthy could become mobile again. Now Anthy, despite centuries as a glorified witch/victim who both saw and orchestrated the worst of human nature, is prepared to re-enter the real world despite knowing how bad it can be, because she understands that she can still survive.

-Charles Bauldelaire

#18 | Back to Top03-08-2009 04:29:49 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4143282/1/

This fanfic obliterated most of the sadness I had from watching the ending. It's a realistic interpretation of what happens to Anthy after RGU. Most intelligent Utena fanfic I've ever read, and considering how intelligent the series is, perhaps the most intelligent fanfic written ever.

Last edited by Nights1stStar (03-08-2009 04:30:32 PM)

-Charles Bauldelaire

#19 | Back to Top03-14-2009 09:29:16 AM

Aika_san21
New Student

You know I was really surprised when I saw this thread.
Not that I was surprised that some people find it depressing but more the realization that I didn't.
I've definitely had animes depress me before, amusingly enough the one that did it the worst had like a crazy happy ending and was a romantic harem comedy (lol Please Teacher!) but the theme of running away from hardship in life was too hard for me to process at the time (I've actually never gone back and re-watched it, even though I still like it) so it made me very depressed.
However Utena was never that way for me.
I actually viewed it more as a life story (the viewers looking glass comming into effect) and found it very empowering.
Utena is very much my ideal, though I identify much more stringly with Juri.
The relationship between Utena and Anthy, with all of its lies, deciet and pain, was just so beautiful that in the end they reached out honesly and reached each other, if only for a brief moment, and that it left it open for this new adventure of discovery to find one another again.
Kinda left in me the lesson and overall feeling that is best described in the last line, "One day we'll shine together." That one day they'll be together again. This relates diectly to a relationship I was in at the time I was first exposed to Utena and it kinda gives me hope that one day we'll be together again. Maybe not the same way, in the near future or even in this life, but one day, we'll shine together.

I suppose it also helped that I was CRAZY infatuated with Akio (still am! emot-keke) and thought all of his manipulation was just so damn sexy (I have often wished I was that good at f-ing up peoples lives, but not really LOL).
I also don't have a strong attachment to characters like Mikage/Ruka, who seem to be a root to a lot of the angst too.
I hate Ruka and am kinda apathetic towards Mikage, I actually think his predicament is more (dear god I'm gonna get crucified by Mikage lovers) amusing in that he got toyed with and used so throughly by Akio. I felt bad, but not really.

Anyway, consensus: Not depressed but understands.

Aika

#20 | Back to Top03-17-2009 09:20:02 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

I find parts of it depressing, but I find the ending really uplifting and cathartic, and even after 10 years, I *still* cry through the entire last episode.

#21 | Back to Top04-02-2009 04:37:03 PM

Haku Vinevaldi
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

well i know one thing. On myspace music they have some really good sources for utena music. The piano entitled 'Pessism' is so fucking sad i feel like killing myself. emot-frown Beautiful. But Evilly sad. emot-gonk

and the anything after the Back Rose saga depresses the crap out of me.
probably episode 37, 38, and around the ending Akio Arc really depress me.

#22 | Back to Top04-13-2009 08:28:53 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Amen! Speaking of killing oneself, I showed the entire series to a friend of mine a few months back.... and we said, "Wouldn't you hang yourself if this were back in the fansub days and you had to wait between the one before the last....." YES!!!

And yeah, the ending itself I think it's a positive note, but I still feel horribly depressed after watching the end. Mostly because, shows over. Like finishing good book, and the better the book, the sadder you are when it ends. My tears start up right about the time Utena starts clawing at the Rose Gate, and increase till I'm sobbing through the credits to photo.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#23 | Back to Top04-14-2009 09:08:00 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Frosty wrote:

Amen! Speaking of killing oneself, I showed the entire series to a friend of mine a few months back.... and we said, "Wouldn't you hang yourself if this were back in the fansub days and you had to wait between the one before the last....." YES!!!

We ordered the series in chunks.  It was the only way to survive.

#24 | Back to Top04-15-2009 07:25:17 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

rofl I can imagine! emot-rofl

#25 | Back to Top04-15-2009 08:54:10 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

sharnii wrote:

Mostly it's good just to discuss Utena endlessly (since I endlessly want to), and indulge black humor to the utmost.

Agree~ one can never get tired of talking about the show~
and you reminded me, where will you continue with chapter 6 of What’s Up in Ohtori

Getting back to the show, it's not really that depressing. It can't compare with the daily tragedies reported by newspaper and TV news.

Board footer