This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-16-2009 03:20:52 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

that thing you call poetry, is it dead?

Today, I picked up a copy of my college's literary magazine, aptly titled "MUSE." And I skimmed through it, it was a really thin edition. Normally, that magazine is of a good size, I edited it last year and we were gung-ho about getting as many as submissions as possible.
This year's publication, and I don't want to sound like an ass: it sucks. There are more than a handful of poems all dealing with "Such and such broke up with me, now I'm blue" but the way they address this theme is totally trite and just...lame. I'm not a professional critic, but I do know when I read a good poem versus one that should have been kept in someone's composition book. Especially with lines like:
" A love like ours makes me weak in the knees,
A love like ours is special to me,
A love like our will move mountains..." and you get the idea.

And if they're not writing about love-gone-wrong they're writing quasi political statements of uprising, that lack any real bite.
Perhaps I'm just reading the bad stuff, but in today's world, people read "bad" poetry and mistake it for actually being good. Besides bad poetry, you have people who hate (yes, hate) poetry. They think it's stupid and it serves no purpose. Good poetry is getting harder to find, go to a Barnes & Nobles and the poetry section is 1/3 the size of let's say, the self-help section. What gives?

What I'm asking is do you think poetry is dead?

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#2 | Back to Top09-16-2009 03:24:27 PM

Like_Autumn
Network Ninja
Website

Re: that thing you call poetry, is it dead?

I love good poetry. When I write it, it doesn't rhyme, but I also like to read it. My literary magazine lacked a lot of good poetry. I was poetry editor in high school and had to go through so much romantic crap before I got to anything good.

I don't think it's dead, but it's true that a lot of people just don't like analyzing it or trying to understand it. I happen to love reading poems over and over again and getting new insights each time.

Number 1 Shadow Girl Fan

#3 | Back to Top09-16-2009 04:01:31 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

I tend to feel as if poetry is currently dormant, as far as 'great' poetry goes.  It's in my opinion and in my opinion only that since the modernists like Ezra Pound and T.S. Eliot that poetry has gone into a decline. 

For one, I feel as if poetry is now viewed as a lesser literary form in that there exists less and less rules which govern the style of poetry and so a lot of people either don't take it as seriously in how they view poetry from an outsider's point of view, or the poets themselves don't take it as seriously.  But that is merely my opinion.

I think poetry has the potential to become great again or else can be revolutionized to where another genius pops up and brings a revival of poetry along with a new literary movement.  But in our utterly commercialized culture, what great poetry that is out there has to fight against more mainstream and commercial art forms.  And so, poetry gets the short end of the stick.

If I were to take a stab at putting my own individuality in poetry, I would do some of the absurd such as incorporating HTML coding, somehow, into my verse or else making more current cultural allusions or else incorporating some of my Lain-esque ideas concerning the effects of the digital age on society since that is a matter of great personal interest.

But I think with enough people breaking outside of the box, utilizing modern technology to alter how one presents their works (i.e. get a vocoder to recite one's verse.), and to rely on the idea exchange capabilities of the Internet would be the way to bring poetry to the forefront while also being taken more seriously by people in general. 

It's a little originality and a lot of marketing which changes things.  And nowadays, one needs a LOT of marketing to just get people to take the slightest note of a good idea.  But I certainly believe the potential is out there.  But otherwise, I would say the art form is under-appreciated and near decaying.  The people with good and new ideas and with high motivation and devotion can do something to make this a more respected art form again.

#4 | Back to Top09-16-2009 04:58:33 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Not at all (and not just because I co-edit a lit and arts journal or still write poetry emot-tongue).  There's tons of terrible poetry out there, and terrible poetry mags, but that's any mode of writing or entertainment in general.

Anne Waldman still kicks ass, for instance, and potentially always will.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#5 | Back to Top09-16-2009 05:22:47 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'd like to say I have a deep appreciation for poetry, but to be perfectly honest, I don't. It's nothing against the medium at all--I used to write buttloads of it, mostly at gunpoint in my humanities magnet, but I must have been good because I got awards and was published a few times. The big shiny trophy I got for writing a poem about the Holocaust. I was grim.

I think the problem for me, which I might venture to say is an issue shared by a lot of people, is that poetry is a huge, dense, and uncharted territory area outside of English majors and people who have been into it for a long time. Literature is more accessible because unless you were born yesterday you at least know a few of the classics. Poetry just doesn't permeate the culture as thickly, so you just to make a greater effort to engage yourself in it. For example, I don't know where to begin if I wanted to start reading more poetry. I can't say for sure what I want from the experience, so I don't know who to refer myself to.

That said, if anyone wants to Youtube, download, whatever, there was a series a while back called Def Poetry on HBO. Mos Def hosted it and it was produced by the same rather popular black social philanthropist responsible for Def Comedy Jam in the 90's. Obviously presenters were frequently black, but they did an excellent job mixing up subject matter, style, and perspective. A few of the poems from this show have brought me to tears, and a few have made me damn near piss myself laughing. If anyone's interested I'll see if--actually here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pppZq45r-DY Sonia Sanchez, a poem about a woman who brings her child to a crackhouse. I watched this show with my family, we felt sick and were staring/crying by the time this was done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6kO6HLC0T8 Shappy, a poem about being a nerd. You'll need it after the first one. emot-gonk (You get extra points for getting every reference in this poem. Also, the style of his reading is deliberately copying another presenter from a previous show, FYI. Actually IIRC the poem is an overall Ode To sort of thing.)

Oops now I'm bouncing around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhWX2F6G7Y Suheir Hammad, writing about post-9/11 back when it was new. This is the for serious one. emot-frown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C40EUMU3pFc Beau Sia. He's shown up a few times because he's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmLE2bliXCI Taylor Mali. Later on this guy does a poem about being a teacher so I presume he's a teacher. I wish he'd been my English teacher in school because I'd have thought he was awesome.

That actually may be part of the problem for me. I love that show, I've been to a few poetry readings and loved the shit out of it...but like Shakespeare is for me, poetry may be something I see as a performance. I want to hear the person pour their words out and move me. This may be me being lazy so I don't have to guess at emphasis or whatever else, and in the situation of poetry I would like to work myself out of it--poetry I already know isn't required to be a performance. Plays, however...well I want to see a play, not read it.

That said, this was my favorite poem when I was a kid. I read it in class and loved it and forgot about it and then found it again, I believe thanks to Clarice. In retrospect I don't know what the hell we were doing reading this in 6th grade. I don't think most of the students got what was going on until the teacher explained it, but IT'S SO ROMANTIC. etc-love

Porphyria's Lover, by Robert Browning

The rain set early in tonight,
The sullen wind was soon awake,
It tore the elm-tops down for spite,
And did its worst to vex the lake:
I listened with heart fit to break.
When glided in Porphyria; straight
She shut the cold out and the storm,
And kneeled and made the cheerless grate
Blaze up, and all the cottage warm;
Which done, she rose, and from her form
Withdrew the dripping cloak and shawl,
And laid her soiled gloves by, untied
Her hat and let the damp hair fall,
And, last, she sat down by my side
And called me. When no voice replied,
She put my arm about her waist,
And made her smooth white shoulder bare,
And all her yellow hair displaced,
And, stooping, made my cheek lie there,
And spread, o'er all, her yellow hair,
Murmuring how she loved me — she
Too weak, for all her heart's endeavor,
To set its struggling passion free
From pride, and vainer ties dissever,
And give herself to me forever.
But passion sometimes would prevail,
Nor could tonight's gay feast restrain
A sudden thought of one so pale
For love of her, and all in vain:
So, she was come through wind and rain.
Be sure I looked up at her eyes
Happy and proud; at last I knew
Porphyria worshiped me: surprise
Made my heart swell, and still it grew
While I debated what to do.
That moment she was mine, mine, fair,
Perfectly pure and good: I found
A thing to do, and all her hair
In one long yellow string I wound
Three times her little throat around,
And strangled her. No pain felt she;
I am quite sure she felt no pain.
As a shut bud that holds a bee,
I warily oped her lids: again
Laughed the blue eyes without a stain.
And I untightened next the tress
About her neck; her cheek once more
Blushed bright beneath my burning kiss:
I propped her head up as before,
Only, this time my shoulder bore
Her head, which droops upon it still:
The smiling rosy little head,
So glad it has its utmost will,
That all it scorned at once is fled,
And I, its love, am gained instead!
Porphyria's love: she guessed not how
Her darling one wish would be heard.
And thus we sit together now,
And all night long we have not stirred,
And yet God has not said a word!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top09-17-2009 12:23:16 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

spoon-san wrote:

I tend to feel as if poetry is currently dormant, as far as 'great' poetry goes.  It's in my opinion and in my opinion only that since the modernists like Ezra Pound and T.S. Eliot that poetry has gone into a decline. 

If I were to take a stab at putting my own individuality in poetry, I would do some of the absurd such as incorporating HTML coding, somehow, into my verse or else making more current cultural allusions or else incorporating some of my Lain-esque ideas concerning the effects of the digital age on society since that is a matter of great personal interest.

You are a modernist through and through, aren't you?  emot-biggrin  I'm not.  When I read most modernist poetry I feel like the author is intentionally putting barriers between my mind and his.  Take The Waste Land: six languages in its first 76 lines alone (and Sanskrit at the end), stuffed to the brim with classical allusions only comprehensible to an Oxford don, and supplemented by the author with footnotes that are half faked.  Some of it is so good... but then it lapses into German... and then he starts talking in code about the first world war... until I'm convinced that half of the enjoyment I derive from the poem comes from feeling clever for catching its references rather than from the fact that it's actually a good poem.  Everything seems more insightful if you think you figured it out yourself.

So is poetry dead, then?  God forbid!  I could invoke Robert Frost, whose best poems are breathtaking in their purity of expression and who came well after the modernists; but he's still dead, so he's not much help in arguing that poetry is alive and well.  I could cite Sheenagh Pugh's "Sometimes," a poem that never fails to make the prickles come up behind my eyes; but the author hates that poem because she thinks it came out sounding too optimistic.  Hm.  Wait -- here's one.

wrist-wrestling father
Orval Lund

For my father

On the maple wood we placed our elbows
and gripped hands, the object to bend
the other’s arm to the kitchen table.
We flexed our arms and waited for the sign.

I once shot a wild goose.
I once stood not twenty feet from a buck deer unnoticed.
I’ve seen a woods full of pink lady slippers.
I once caught a 19-inch trout on a tiny fly.
I’ve seen the Pacific, I’ve seen the Atlantic,
I’ve watched whales in each.

I once heard Bruce Lenny tell jokes.
I’ve seen Sandy Koufax pitch a baseball.
I’ve heard Paul Desmond play the saxophone.
I’ve been to London to see the Queen.
I’ve had dinner with a Nobel Prize poet.

I wrote a poem once with every word but one just right.
I’ve fathered two fine sons
and loved the same woman for twenty-five years.

But I’ve never been more amazed
than when I snapped my father’s arm down to the table.

Last edited by satyreyes (09-17-2009 12:41:01 AM)

#7 | Back to Top09-17-2009 05:27:54 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Nikki GIovanni, Amiri Baraka, Fiona Apple, Jill Scott, hmm. The last two suggest to me that it's possible that the lines between poetry and music have gotten a little blurry. Which is fine, it was always a rather artificial distinction. cool

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top09-17-2009 08:54:10 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

I think we do live in a time where poetry is not mainstream, and doesn't get a lot of appreciation from most sectors.

This sucks. But it's how it is just now. And in that sense it is dead (for now).

I would like to live in a time when poetry was popular again! That's for the purely selfish reason of getting some more kudos for my own bad poetry. school-devil And having more fellow fans to share it with. And more people who understand and appreciate what you're trying to do with various forms of it.

#9 | Back to Top09-17-2009 12:59:13 PM

lex

I do like a lot of modern poetry; I had bad experiences reading the classics when I was younger. Perhaps that also has something to do with it? If you have a teacher who teaches poetry not as an experience but as just another subject to cram and come up with an "answer" then there is definitely something lacking. When I would read some of the classics, we read "The Wasteland" in 11th grade but our teacher basically told us how to think and feel about the poem, and I never connected with it. No one in our class understood the references, but our teacher when he taught poetry, he taught it as something that was vital to understanding the world around us.
Which I agree with, because in some poetry you do find that sentiment of a moment, thought or sensation that may have not had just the words for, and yet it does.

Poetry as a performance, is also something that when I was in high school (and throughout college) made it anew for me. Part of the trouble with the classics (and I'm speaking for my particular class), was when reading it, the rhetoric was a barrier.

There was a program on NPR that had poets reading their works and they turned it into a book, but I'm not sure if they're doing that anymore.
Attending an "open mic" night is where I usually go to get the LIVE experience of a poem, because you can hear all sorts of things in audio that you may not necessarily catch in print, (intonation, rhyme, rythm).

The show you mentioned Gio, I used to watch a couple of those episodes and those poets were really good, I think the frontwoman of Otep made a couple of appearances.

In general, I connect to a poem when it's not afraid to go to a certain emotion and just get into the nitty gritty of it. Some poets are really good at capturing the ugly feelings people have, but don't want to share.

I remember in an English class, we had to bring in a poem to read aloud (our instructor was all about reading material aloud) and no joke, more than half the class brought in song lyrics (or they read Shel Silverstein) and often said "It's poetry set to music." But our Instructor argued, that the two are indeed different, but I have never been able to make the distinction, really.

edit: I was wondering and this is slightly off-topic, but I know we have several threads where forum members post poetry they've written, but do we have any threads where it's just poetry that we like?

Last edited by lex (09-17-2009 01:03:29 PM)

#10 | Back to Top09-17-2009 02:12:03 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

lex wrote:

edit: I was wondering and this is slightly off-topic, but I know we have several threads where forum members post poetry they've written, but do we have any threads where it's just poetry that we like?

Not that I know of. I almost thought about making one but probably won't anytime soon (Just to share some of E.E. Cummings' stuff. XD).

In any case, yeah, I mean, I realize a lot of people write poetry...a lot.  But as sharnii said, it's just not mainstream....not in the way it once was...where like a poem could make some big cultural impacts.

And forgive me for forgetting about one of my favorites: Robert Frost.  I would have totally forgetting to mention him if you hadn't pointed him out, satyr.  Heh.  To be fair, also, I like some of the Romantic era guys like Wordsworth...don't care much for his writings on poetry, but his works are really special, I think.

I mean, I've written a lot of verse myself, not it being any good in my opinion though I will admit some people differ on that opinion.  But how poetry has personally affected me...that's a very deep and tangled sort of thing in my personal life, but it's not something of a societal scale and hence why I commented the way I commented in my original post.

But not to get off topic but yeah, I do like verse where it makes you think about the allusions, but I also sometimes just like a detached though holding an earthy and yet mystical tone (like with Eliot and Wallace Stevens).  But I also like stuff which is simply moving in its almost purity of emotion like with Frost and Wordsworth.  Just to clarify.

#11 | Back to Top09-17-2009 02:27:23 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

The novel really has taken over as far as mainstream writing/reading goes, but there's still good stuff out there and still a going poetry market.  Heck, HBO's poetry thing wasn't too long ago, was it?  Two, three years?

Nikki Giovanni, Anne Waldman, Jan Beatty... there's still some really hot folks working out there.  Amiri Baraka's still so badass the Patriotic Act had to stop one of his books (lest our poor little minds be snapped or whatever emot-rolleyes).

(Anyone whose on my fb page is probably laughing at my participation in this thread, but I feel like a cheerleader for the moment, so.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#12 | Back to Top09-17-2009 05:14:32 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

I think a lot of poetry as a popular form has moved into the realm of music lyrics. But poetry without music still has a big literary following, but it is very attached to academia. If you go to some of the bigger writer's conferences there's always smaller presses with poetry books, so I think it's still alive, just more of a niche than perhaps it was in the past.

20 threads dead so far.

#13 | Back to Top09-17-2009 05:27:31 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

No Carol Ann Duffy fans? Or is she not so well-known Stateside? :S

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#14 | Back to Top09-17-2009 07:57:54 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

lex wrote:

There was a program on NPR that had poets reading their works and they turned it into a book, but I'm not sure if they're doing that anymore.

Not sure if they're still doing the program, but the book was "Good Poems," compiled by Garrison Keillor, and it's a most excellent anthology of mostly-twentieth-century, mostly-accessible poetry that is indeed mostly good.

#15 | Back to Top09-21-2009 01:15:19 PM

lex

Ahh, I found another one on Amazon (that I went to Barnes & Nobles and bought it immediately)

"Word of Mouth" edited by Christine Bowman, and even features Czeslaw Milosz amongst others.  But while I was at B&N, I didn't see "Good Poems" so I guess I'll have to special order that one.

Board footer